Home
Posted By: hanco Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/03/21
Do you all have a rifle you loan out? I have a couple of great friends that have helped me and my family a lot. They don’t have a deer rifle, both could easily afford one, but I think their wives are against guns in the house. I have this Remington 700, 30-06 I keep just for that purpose. I don’t like loaning out my good rifles, not that there is anything wrong with the 06.

Anyone else have a loaner?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: PennDog Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/03/21
Ruger American in .270 and Mossberg Patriot in .350 legend for smaller statured and/or recoil sensitive individuals.

PennDog
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I lent a Mauser 3000 lh in 243 to a friend of mine about 15 years ago. His daughter is left handed and wanted a 270 but this was the smallest legal to use caliber . She shot a small buck at 125 yards . I didn’t get it back for a year and a half . Looked like it was drug behind a truck . I striped it refinished and reblued it . Never again ! I have an adl 700 30/06 that I have loaned twice now. Came back clean both times
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Only for my children and theirs.

People suck. My cousin loaned one to another relative. Got it back, but next year the guy wanted to know where “his” gun was.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Ruger American 270 with Burris FF II 3x9. Shooting federal blue box. Borrowed it to several people. They can’t hurt it.
Posted By: Ccard257 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Never done the long term loan thing and doubt I would but if someone is coming with us for a weekend or something they get a mossberg mvp in .223 or marlin xl7 in .30-06 depending on which is needed.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21

I don't loan any firearm I have unless Im in the blind or stand with the firearm.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Had a Rem ADL 30-06 I loaned to son, nephew, and my brother a few years when they were "between rifles" or for some other odd reason. Always came back in at least the condition I lent it in and accounted for several animals. Finally sold it to one of my nephews a few years ago since it was one of the most accurate rifles I've owned and I wanted it to stay in the family if I had my druthers. He shot his first elk with it a couple years ago.. if it weren't family, I probably wouldn't loan a rifle to anyone else...
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
There's 3 things I don't loan out........guns, money, and my wife.
Posted By: jwall Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Originally Posted by PennDog
Ruger American in .270 and Mossberg Patriot in .350 legend for smaller statured and/or recoil sensitive individuals.

PennDog

I don’t have a loaner rifle for the reasons others have mentioned here.

IF I needed a designated ‘loaner’’, I’d buy a RAR and not worry about it.

Jerry
Nope, I don't.
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Originally Posted by hanco
They don’t have a deer rifle, both could easily afford one, but I think their wives are against guns in the house.

I would suggest you loan them a pair of balls. Any man that lets their wife dictate guns in the house or not is not worthy of even borrowing a gun. Now I have a rifle I would loan out. It’s a Mauser M12, as long as they didn’t own up to being a total pushover with their liberal “Karen” wife😂🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
When I was guiding elk and deer hunters, a lot of dandies showed up. Big magnums with shiny stocks and huge scopes. When we got one that was afraid of his rifle and missed shots, I would suggest "something must be wrong with the rifle" and suggested for the day to use my loaner rifle. It was a pre 64 model 70 Winchester in 270 Win with a 4 power Leupold compact. They just knew it wouldn't kill anything. Before the hunt we would let them shoot at a bucket in a field near the ranch. I loaded some mild loads with light bullets. First few shots missed the field entirely but then they realized that there was little recoil and started hitting the bucket with regularity. Then when we left for the evening hunt I would load it with 150 grain Nosler partitions. It was used by 7 hunters and accounted for 5 mule deer bucks and 2 elk. All one shot kills.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Got more than a few guns none that I will loan anymore btdt. Anyone that would ask to borrow a gun probably don't own a watch either. They might even ask a guys daughter for a date. Damned if I want some cheap sob who can't afford a watch or a gun dating my daughter. Mb
Posted By: Deans Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
My Dad's definition of loaning " thank you never paid for a damn thing ". Rarely if ever did he loan anything.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
My Dad never loaned out any gun except to his best friend/BIL. Even then it was only for the first few days of PA rifle season while he was hunting with my Dad. The rifle was a Savage 99 in 303SAV.

I will not loan out a rifle to anyone unless they are with me on the same trip and I trust them. It rarely happens though. My loaner is a Rem700 LSS Mountain Rifle in 243 with a Leupy VXIII 2.5-8. It is pretty much indestructible. I occasionally hunt with it too.
Posted By: msalm Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I always have several rifles I have for youth hunters available. Mostly for friends that have first year hunters that don’t have a suitable rifle for a smaller framed child. Couple Howa Minis in 6.5 and 6mm Grendel and 7.62x39, a rebarrelled Browning BLR in 250 Savage for left eye dominant kids and a Contender in 7-30 Waters for the same. All have low power variable 2-8 Weaver GS’s on them and are accurate with good triggers. All rifles have a box with 50 rounds of ammo and I make sure they go shoot it a couple times before season and make sure they save my brass. Some will even come over and help me reload the fired cartridges before or after their hunt. I like to think having a young hunter starting out with a rifle that gives them a better chance at success will start them out on a long path of a lifetime hunter. Usually it ends up with the parent buying a decent rifle for them the following year based off my suggestions.
I dont have any friends that dont have their own pile of guns.
Posted By: luv99s Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I have a contender in 30-30 and a Encore in 7mag, less things to go wrong!
Posted By: okie john Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I used to loan out a couple of guns for very short hunts that both me and the borrower attended. Now it's illegal to loan guns in my state, so I tell people to buy their own.

Okie John
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I don’t really hunt with anybody I wouldn’t loan a gun to.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I don’t loan them out long term but I have a river Hawkeye all weather 30-06 that has been chopped to 20” and is currently suppressed with a banish 30. That’s what I’d probably let a buddy take if he needed a gun.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
What's the legality of loaning a suppressed firearm?
Posted By: moosemike Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I don't like to loan guns out. And that's because a friend knew a guy who wanted to hunt but had no gun and he asked me if I could spare one. I loaned him an SMLE .303 British. After the season when I got it back it no longer had a cleaning cord in the buttstock trapdoor. My friend asked his buddy who replied that he didn't touch it or know anything about it.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
When I was young I was deer hunting with a guy and I asked him why he had a single barrel shotgun. He said it was what he could borrow. He said "why own a gun when you can loan one"? That's exactly the type of guy I try not to enable
Posted By: Crowkiller Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I have a Savage model 10 I bought used at a pawn shop cheap about 20 years ago. I swapped the barrel to a 308 and made it my ugly foul weather rifle. It has a decent scope and is accurate. Now it is my loaner rifle on a trip I go on each year in case someone's rifle goes down. I also loan it to kids with a really light cast bullet load that approximates a 30-30. If it happens to get dropped in the swamp and left I would not be too upset about it because I figure I have already got my money's worth out of this gun.

I would not loan another rifle.

About 10 years ago I was hunting pronghorn out west and had a scope problem. My buddy handed me his rifle and I killed my pronghorn. I think that's about the only time I've borrowed a rifle.
Posted By: colodog Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I learned long ago that loaning a rifle and expecting it to come back in the same condition isn't realistic.
People don't care for things the same as you, unless their own money is on the line. Some don't even care then....

I don't risk a friendship by loaning things I care about.

I have been known to give rifles to buddies that were broke but that's a different way to handle it..
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I've loaned some different rifles to guys who had problems with their gear, who forgot to pack their ammo, and to a couple of kids.

My Father loaned guns to a few different people and didn't have any problems that I know of, so that was how I was brought up. Two of my better friends in high school came from large, lower income, families and didn't have their own deer rifles, so if they wanted to hunt, they had to borrow.

30-06 is a good choice.
Posted By: devnull Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
If a person can afford a hunting license, they can afford a budget rifle/shotgun.

A rusty M721 in 06 with a early 90’s Vari-X. It shoots 180g Partitions quite accurately........
Posted By: beretzs Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Same here.
Only to very immediate family. My brother once loaned his BAR to a "wounded warrior" whose scope was busted and could not get sighted in. His payback was a 3" scratch on the receiver and a gouge out of the stock and not even an apology. The gun was LNIB before the hunter got his hands on it.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here.

Me too. Anyone who I would loan a gun to could use any gun I have.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Rem. 760 30-06, same guy borrows it every year, cept last hen I told him he had to buy his own ammunition
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Have never needed to. Or needed to refuse.
Of the people I might loan a gun, none would likely need one.
Except possibly on a trip.

But, when I bought a 760 30-06 cheap, it got set up with 180gr loads
and is my backup trip gun. Simply because IDGAS about it, and
could lend it out.
Posted By: SKane Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21

Same here.

Yep. Open safe - "pick one".

Just no cleaning glass with shirt tails or paper towel. laugh
Posted By: JPro Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Bingo. Don’t touch the lenses, don’t get mud or water in the bore, and don’t store it in a damp case.
Posted By: goalie Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
Mossberg ATR100 in .270 with a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x fixed on top.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
At ages 13-16 I was real appreciative to be able to borrow a M64 .30WCF, a pre-64 M70 .30-06 and a pre-64 M70 .300 WM from dad's gun guy buddy and got deer with all three before I could afford my own. Those got me started really well. I've loaned a M37 20 gauge and my M700 7mm RM and those both got deer too. There is a Savage '57 M99 .300 Savage in the gun safe at the cottage that could be loaned, but never has been. Almost though when one of the guys opened his gun case on opening day and found that the trigger lock was nicely attached, but the key was 80 miles back home.
Originally Posted by colodog
I learned long ago that loaning a rifle and expecting it to come back in the same condition isn't realistic.
People don't care for things the same as you, unless their own money is on the line. Some don't even care then....

I don't risk a friendship by loaning things I care about.

I have been known to give rifles to buddies that were broke but that's a different way to handle it..

Good post. I agree
Posted By: drover Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I don't have to worry about my friends borrowing guns from me, they all have more guns than I do.
But even if they didn't I am not sure that I would loan any of mine to anyone, I am protective of the way my equipment is treated. While I know accidents happen they seem to happen more often with borrowed items be guns, tools, or automobiles. Which is why I rarely borrow anything from friends either.

drover
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
When I was young and foolish, I loaned a rifle to a guy. When I wanted it back, he came up with some bullschit story about having busted something on it and leaving it to get fixed somewhere. I’m sure he sold it. Eventually, I was paid for it with substantial interest.

When a close friend was going deer hunting hunting in a shotgun only area I told him to take a good Ithaca slug gun of mine that had an Aimpoint red dot, as he had no slug gun. He came back with a couple of deer and when he brought the gun back he had a big grin, “You just put the dot on ‘em and, pow, down they go.”

A couple of years later, I had a new Marlin Guide Gun I’d only used a couple of times. I handed it to him one morning and told him , “Try this.” He killed 4 deer with it that fall and had one just like it the following year. He’s a guy who would do anything for a friend and so would I.

Another time, a friend told me his daughter, who was about 12 or 13 at the time, wanted to shoot a deer. I had an old 92 Winchester SRC in .44-40 and quite a few cast bullet loads. The mild shooting little gun suited the girl just fine and she got able to shoot it pretty well. Early on in the season she killed her first deer with it. When he said something about getting it back to me I told him she could keep it. A kid should have the gun they killed their first deer with.

Anything I have, my friends and brothers are welcome to, as I am to theirs. For God’s sake, it’s just stuff, which we’ve all got too much of.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I have a Remington 700 in 270 and a model 7 in 7mm-08 that I loan to friends and family that come out to hunt. Both are proven rifles, it saves a lot of time and trouble. We take a quick trip to the range, build some confidence, then spend the rest of the time taking care of the deer and antelope they kill.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
The only people I would loan a rifle to are already squared-away enough as humans that they'd likely have no need to borrow one anyway. Also, if someone wants to hunt they should be motivated enough to obtain their own weapon and become proficient in its use rather than some half-assed effort of borrowing. The exception to this is mentoring kids.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
I usually hunt by myself but not always, and on occasion folks have forgot bullets, they didn't have an airline approved gun case for a special trip out to see me, etc. In one case they forgot the trigger lock key (which his wife insists he have on the guns due to little kids in the house). One time a horse wreck broke a stock in half at right at the trailhead.

In those cases I have no problem loaning them a rifle or shotgun for that matter. Normally it is a Savage 1899 in .300 Savage or the Springfield 1898 that lives behind the seat of my pickup. For shotguns it has only happened once that I can remember but I had no issue loaning my Win 1300 Ranger out.
Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/04/21
For many years I brought a sporterized 30-06 Mauser with a plastic stock and a decent scope as a backup and foul weather rifle for an out of state 3 or 4 day deer hunt a buddy and I did annually. One year his Rem 760, also in 30-06, wouldn't close all the way and I lent him the Mauser. We both got our bucks.
Originally Posted by Highoctane

I don't loan any firearm I have unless Im in the blind or stand with the firearm.

THIS^^^^^^
Posted By: Sheister Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/07/21
Reading some of these responses I realized I have told my son many times that if his Marine buddies want to come out and hunt with us, I have all the guns they need to harvest any animal they want to hunt... several of them have expressed interest in coming out to hunt deer and elk, but the hassle of bringing a gun on an airline or having the right gun for the game has them a bit hesitant. Even if they did damage one of my rifles, anything they can do to anything I own can be fixed. Their stories of times in the Marines with my son are worth whatever it costs...

Did take a couple of his buddies salmon fishing on the Columbia river a couple years ago and limited out two days in a row. They still talk about that trip- the fishing was great, but the water was wild and treacherous those couple days....

Bob
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/07/21
I have a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 that has been loaned out a ton. In one season alone when I was guiding hunters I remember at least 7 different hunters taking animals with it. In most of those cases the hunters had brought rifles that either had issues or they just could not hit the side of a barn with it. The main purpose for the Stevens was a dedicated loaner rifle that could live in a truck and or ATV and it would not bother me so much when it got dinged up. It and another Stevens 200 in .270 get loaned out pretty much at least once or twice during a season to friends and family. I have other rifles that I would be pretty selective on who I would loan them to though.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/07/21
Originally Posted by Sheister
Reading some of these responses I realized I have told my son many times that if his Marine buddies want to come out and hunt with us, I have all the guns they need to harvest any animal they want to hunt... several of them have expressed interest in coming out to hunt deer and elk, but the hassle of bringing a gun on an airline or having the right gun for the game has them a bit hesitant. Even if they did damage one of my rifles, anything they can do to anything I own can be fixed. Their stories of times in the Marines with my son are worth whatever it costs...

Did take a couple of his buddies salmon fishing on the Columbia river a couple years ago and limited out two days in a row. They still talk about that trip- the fishing was great, but the water was wild and treacherous those couple days....

Bob

Hell yeah Bob. From being an young Marine and growing into an Old Marine, that's good stuff.

My son is a young Marine and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for the lad, short of run his PFT! HA!
Posted By: Judman Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/07/21
Any one of my pards could come to the house and take any gun outta the safe, at anytime. Materiel stuff is just that, stuff, easily replaced, kinda like loaning a pard a tool. Don’t really care to be honest.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by Judman
Any one of my pards could come to the house and take any gun outta the safe, at anytime. Materiel stuff is just that, stuff, easily replaced, kinda like loaning a pard a tool. Don’t really care to be honest.

For sure. I take a little extra pride if someone scores with one of my irons. They make new stuff everyday.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by Judman

For sure. I take a little extra pride if someone scores with one of my irons. They make new stuff everyday.

This is true. When the stuff in your life is more important to you than the people in your life either you’ve surrounded yourself with all the wrong people or you’ve got a pretty empty life or both.
Posted By: Judman Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/08/21
One thing I won’t loan out is my dog!! Don’t ask to borrow my god damn dog!! The boy asked the other day if he could take her campin, I said nope, don’t even ask!! 😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]windows screenshot
I’m lucky there. No one else wants to hang around my old mutt Rhodesian.. haha

But guns and stuff is all fair game to friends, family and my friends. It comes back around.
Reading through all of the replies is kinda interesting. Answers from “never loan, never borrow” to “my friends can use anything they need” to “any hunter should be squared away enough to buy his own”!
I remember a time when I could barely afford the deer tag but had to borrow a rifle and now I’m kinda in the boat of having more guns than most of my friends. I would probably loan to most of them and definitely to a kid in need.
Maybe not my most favorite but plenty to spare and loan to let someone enjoy the sport and or bring home some family meat.
Just my thoughts but as someone else stated, “it is just stuff”!
Les
Hell pards come get game meat, sausage, pepperoni salmon, halibut etc outta the freezer, if they’re having a shin dig, hang game in the shop, etc. guess I just don’t care if I consider ya a buddy. Stuff comes and goes, simple as that, good pards don’t.
That’s a fact. My crew of friends who all served together and even a few of the younger fellas still doing Gods work get what they want or need. That’s the point of friends. It’s a solid 2 way street. Kids get whatever they need to light the fire for outdoors.
Truth brother, and thanks for your service again! 🤘👍
Elks. If I came out to jackrabbit hunt you wouldn't loan me your 460 and a couple boxes of ammo? Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What's the legality of loaning a suppressed firearm?

Don't. The NFA item has to be in possession of the holder of the tax stamp. legalease basically you have to be with them, immediate vicinity while they shoot it, but any more than that you both could be in deep.

I have a handful of loanable rifles for the right people. It's not hard to see how someone will treat your equipment. What shape is their ride in? What's the blade in their pocket look like? How about tool or equipment? If things of theirs are not well kept, the gun you loan them won't be either.
Anyone who I allow on my home is free to borrow any firearms in my safe, just as they are welcome to the freezer and liquor cabinets. If I have what you need then grab it. Replace what you use when/of you can.

Couldn’t bear to watch a buddy suffer if they had a need knowing I have plenty.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/09/21
i learned 30 years ago not to loan out any gun i cared about. and my 760 270 wears the scars to this day.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/09/21
I wouldn't loan one to Big Stick.
Posted By: Dre Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/10/21
Haven’t had to loan out any of my rifles. And I’d be very selective who’d I loan to.
IF I did. It be my cheapest rifle and it’s also one of the most accurate.
Tc venture in 270 win, vx2 3-9 CDS, 140 SST
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/10/21
Not in the habit, but have let several folks shoot my firearms at the range. Couple of times I have loaned a rifle out, once BIL's son had a scope issue with a 1917 Remington that was given to him by the FIL. A Santa Barbara Mauser in 243 that I had built, brought it as a backup. He took three deer an a coyote. Needless to say I gave the rifle. Also let BIL's youngest Daughter use a 6.5X57 Steyr that I brought along when she wanted to go hunting and none of the rifles fit her. Took the spacers off and she took her first deer with it. My Daughter had already claimed it, so she did not get to keep it. Have a Model 70 that I keep around in case anyone needs a deer rifle, IE they travel to us in deer season and did not plan to hunt but want to. It's just "stuff", some I am a bit more fussy about than others. For the most part, if I invite them to my home they can use my firearms
Posted By: Jericho Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/10/21
When I was growing up in PENN I had an uncle who loaned me his guns fairly often, I took care of them and didnt damage them. Several years ago I bought a used S&W K22 revolver and gave it to him as a gift. He was very pleased with it. He has been gone for a few years now and I miss him dearly.
Posted By: Gladesman Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/10/21
I have loaned guns and bows in my younger days. Some I never got back and these were from close "friends". I know guns are material things. However, how one treats those things when they are loaned in good faith with no expectations from the lender other than hoping the guy enjoys its use, says worlds about character. Few actions are more disrespectful than abusing a man's property offered with no string attached. I no longer subject myself to such abuse. It has happened too often.
Posted By: WAM Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/10/21
Not legal here, but I have a few that I would loan to a pard and a couple that I let no one mess with. I don’t loan chainsaws, so don’t ask. Happy Trails
Posted By: WAM Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I wouldn't loan one to Big Stick.

WINNER!
I loaned a pump shotgun to a friend more than 20 years ago...it came back rusted like it was duck hunting in salt water. I was kind of pissed but said ok - you can just keep it. I see him a few years ago.

He says, you remember that old shotgun you gave me? (I'm thinking the brand new one that I patterned, let you use, and came back rusted)...Well you gave me one with a bent barrel.

He kept it stored in a corner of a closet. No telling what kind of [bleep] had been piled on it over the years.

Anyways, I will loan/give stuff to my dad/mom/wife and sons, two trusted neighbors...and daughter in laws. Everyone else should buy/rent their own or ask somewheres else. This applies mainly to vehicles (mostly trucks), chain saws, trailers, lawn mowers, firearms, bows, camping gear, dogs, reloading stuff, cameras, binoculars, optics, computers, books, duck decoys, duck calls, waders, guitars, tools...hmm, I think I'm a cranky old man.

But, I will use all that stuff and more to help someone else complete a project.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/11/21
Do you all have a rifle you loan out? I have a couple of great friends that have helped me and my family a lot. They don’t have a deer rifle, both could easily afford one, but I think their wives are against guns in the house. I have this Remington 700, 30-06 I keep just for that purpose. I don’t like loaning out my good rifles, not that there is anything wrong with the 06.

Dang Hanco, That's a heck of a loaner rifle!
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/11/21
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Model 70 Classic (90s) in 338 Win with 3X Burris

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

FN Browning High Power 30/06 with 3-9 Stryker Scope.
Posted By: hanco Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Dang Hanco, That's a heck of a loaner rifle!

That’s the ugliest thing I have, gonna give it to a friend that has helped my boy out with a job, got him trained, got him a big raise. I’ll use a 7mm-08 I have for a loaner I guess.

I lent a nice Ruger RSI once to my xwife's cousin once. Never again.

I did give a brand new Bergara Woodsman 7-08 to a dirt poor young guy at deer camp though. Just couldn't get myself to like that gun.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/12/21
If people don't give a [bleep] enough to buy their own gear and get used to using it in the offseason, I have no desire to assist. So I don't loan rifles as a rule.
Posted By: CRS Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/12/21
I have a Remington model 700 stainless mountain rifle circa early 1990's in 270 win that has been used by a few other people when I was hunting with them. I have never loaned a rifle where I was not there.

This thread reminds me of the old saying

Loan $20 to a "friend" and never seeing them again is probably $20 well spent. Not willing to chance losing any of my firearms that way.
Any equipment I loan out I would like it to come back the same condition as I let it out. But things happen. I wont loan out anything my little heart would break if it came back with a ding or a scratch. That said most anything I would loan out would be my old stuff I no longer use so probably already scratched or dinged up. I try not to loan out anything that would be a financial strain for them to replace if it got lost or destroyed. People new to the outdoors dont have any idea what good equipment cost. I sometimes politely let them know the value too see their reaction.
Posted By: Bosque Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
I don't loan much of anything. If someone is needing to borrow it, they probably can't afford to fix or replace it. If you need something that bad, I have a yard to be mowed that's worth $20, flowerbeds and weed eating are worth $10 each, washing the house is worth about $100... if I don't have any work needing done, you'll have to wait. My 14 yo just paid for part of his new shotgun by splitting it 1/3's between my exwife and myself for his birthday. He doesn't get freebies much either.
I cobbled together a loaner when I looked in my safe and all the rifles were customs. Had a Weatherby vanguard barreled action in the corner though. It got a hogue Stock and Zeiss conquest. Perfect loaner
Posted By: Hastings Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
There is a Remington Model 721 in .30-06 in the safe with a pretty good Burris 4.5 X 14 Fullfield E1 on it I would loan to my adult kids, their spouses and friends or any other trustworthy friend that needs a rifle. It is accurate enough for anyone borrowing a rifle and the scope is pretty good. The two .30-06 rifles I hunt with aren't leaving here with someone else though. I have a stainless Ruger Mini 30 with an old steel Weaver 4X I would also loan out. It doesn't recoil much and is not real accurate but it's good enough. I believe I could hit a deer or hog reliably with it.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I dont have any friends that dont have their own pile of guns.

^^ This ^^
Posted By: shinbone Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
Growing up, my Dad never loaned anything to anyone. And he'd bite anyone's head off who asked. That struck me as a pretty sucky way to treat your friends. Not that he had many friends. Sometimes you learn by counter-example.

Myself, I have a Savage Model 16 in 7mm-08 with a Burris something-or-other on it specifically to loan to friends just getting into hunting. The rifle was specifically chosen to be easy to shoot, tough, relatively inexpensive, and no beauty queen. Got a loaner shotgun, too. Someone's wanting to try out hunting, but is balking at the cost of buying a rifle/shotgun for a sport he may not fully take up, I step in with my loaner rifle. I am always happy to try to recruit more hunters and shooters.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
I'm happy to loan rifles any time,any place and have even mailed more than a few to help folks out. I sure as schit wouldn't hand someone a platform,that I wouldn't use and that "thought" process is rather fhuqking odd to me. Hint.

Often it's a step in a VERY right direction,when pards come to visit,to not even bring a rifle. More often than not,those that opt to bring their own,leave same setting at the house and simply cut checks to gear in accordance after the jaunt and seeing the light. Mechanics tend to sell themself and it's never not funny,to watch a Dissenter try to say "no". Have yet to see it and I reckon that'll never change. Hint.

Visitors always get pick of the litter,after a little trigger time to connect dots. Though admittedly,I likely have more than (1) rifle,which can be disconcerting to choose from. 'Course I'm talking mechanically fhuqking SOUND platforms,not Bargain Bin Bullschit that can't even work,which hilariously swoons many here. Hint.

Laughing!....................
Posted By: Judman Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
LarryO!!! Bacon neck, pards carry check books??? Haha 😂😂
Yeah, I'd really want to use one of Stinky's rusted pieces of schitt.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by Bosque
I don't loan much of anything. If someone is needing to borrow it, they probably can't afford to fix or replace it. If you need something that bad, I have a yard to be mowed that's worth $20, flowerbeds and weed eating are worth $10 each, washing the house is worth about $100... if I don't have any work needing done, you'll have to wait. My 14 yo just paid for part of his new shotgun by splitting it 1/3's between my exwife and myself for his birthday. He doesn't get freebies much either.

Going rate around here is 40.00 for an average in town lawn of 1/4-1/3 acre. Washing a small 1200-1500 sq. ft. house will run you 400.00 and this is a comparatively economically depressed, rural area. Lincoln outlawed slavery so you're probably going to have to keep mowing your own lawn and washing your own house..
Posted By: horse1 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
700 'Ute in 243Win w/3-9x40 Burris that I bought as is. It shoots blue-box federal 80's into knots. M-70 Ranger 'Ute that someone cut the stock even shorter w/3.5-10x40 Leupold/duplex. That's the "kid's" borrowing rifles.

For adults it's usually either a Montana 7-08 w/6x42 Leupold or 700 SPS SS in 308 w/Leupold 3-9x40 Mil-Dot reticle and target turrets. I'm not opposed to borrowing out others but those 4 seem to see the most use outside my immediate family.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/13/21
I've had ALOTTA 223's,223AI's,22-250AI's,243's,243AI's,7-08's,7Whizzum's,308's and 300Whizzum's loaned out,but seldom L/A's in comparison. That being said there's been multiple 257Wby's,264Win's,7mmRemMag's,7STW's,300Supers,375H&H's and 375H&H AI's borrowed from me. Most all of which are Customs. Hint.

Wares that exist,reliably get Snowflakes to Melting. Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
After just seeing Poseur Larry's pics, I went home...threw my guns in a rock pile, stood on them in a creek, started moly'ing my bullets, threw my Nightforces in the trash and bought some garbage bushnell and super-poseur scopes. He led me to water alright...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/14/21
Crying Karen,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Here's to how very WELL founded your countless Insecurities are and if only to keep things in context,cite how many times a day you think about me. Hint.

Do NOT "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery either. Ooooooopsie!!! Too fhuqking late. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Poseur Larry, you can refer to me by my first name if it further helps to fuel your delusion that you actually have friends.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/14/21
I actually recently bought two Savage 340's. A .222 and a .30-30. I had plans for the 222 but I thought the 30-30 would make a good loaner rifle if such a situation were to arise. Alas I find I like the 30-30 too much to loan out. I'm thinking it's going to see some serious hunting time this Fall.
Posted By: memtb Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/14/21

I guess if the situation arose......it would be the Ruger American in 30-06. memtb
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/14/21
Crying Karen,

I am VERY "surprised" that you are yet again thinking about me,as you wax eloquent upon your very WELL founded and countless Insecurities,with your enthralling High Pitched Nasal Whine...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon the latest Loaner Rifle coming together rather nicely. Google as you must,Whine as you do and perhaps even think about me some more(like ANYTHING could stop that!). Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Hmmmmm...now to select rings/glass?!? Decisions,decisions. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Hint...nobody wants to borrow that POS^
Posted By: Jericho Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/15/21
When I was growing up in PENN I lost track of how many monster whitetail bucks were taken by novice hunters with a borrowed, customized, etc. Arisaka, Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, Mauser 98 etc.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/15/21
Tc compass 30-06. Never had to lend it out so far
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/15/21
Crying Karen,

You be SURE to "convince" yourself of the things you most NEED to hear...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

As you are doing so,do not "forget" that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Pardon the poignant profundity of my influence,effecting you in sooooo many ways,that you can't even punctuate by yourself,as you think about me time and again. Hint.

Now typical of all bedding block bullschit,the recesses are proud,which do Precision no favors. I'll roll it for giggles,as you "get" the sweet "satisfactions" of Imagination and Pretend being free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Hmmmmm...I'm still torn on rings/glass selection. Decisions,decisions. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Have a steyr prohunter stainless in 30.06. I mounted scope, got it zeroed and put it in safe. Have lent it out three times and it's killed 2 deer and a few pigs. I've never shot anything but a target with it. That was never my intention, but that gun never held my interest. Right now it sits without scope. I need to do something with it.
Posted By: specneeds Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/15/21
I have a TC Venture in 30-06 with a Meopta Meopro scope that will be my great grandsons first elk rifle in about 7 years. It’s the extra I would loa to any friends new hunters or kids I as mentoring. Part of giving back for the dozens of guns I got to shoot as a kid. My fathers old model 77 tang safety has been used roughly by him, my nephew & son. Finally got a load that it shoots well - would loan it out but it has sentimental value too.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/15/21
Loaner came together nicely. Hint.

Though in fairness,only shot it to 1300yd steel yesterday,due the HORRIBLE weather conditions. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/16/21
I leave a stainless CZ 455 .22LR with a cousin of mine who lives in another state, mainly for him to use if he wants to, or for me to use whenever I'm visiting. He takes good care of his stuff, and I have no qualms leaving it with him. I've borrowed a rifle from him for my first deer, and a shotgun for my first goose and turkey. I did my best to return them to him in the same condition they were lent.

We have another cousin down the road who could bend an anvil with a turkey feather. I wouldn't go pale if I had to leave a good rifle with him, though, if he broke it, no matter, he's more than paid for it with the adventures we've had as kids. It's all just stuff, family is more important. We've all grown up together, and would likely do anything for each other if need be, and sometimes I'm the one in need. We're family, that's how it is.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/16/21
I bought a Vanguard 30-06 from a pawn shop and put a weaver V9 on it for a loner. It shoots good. I would use it.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/16/21
I bring a spare shotgun or rifle, in case somebody in camp has theirs takes a dump.

Backup rig, not really a loaner but could be.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by hookeye
I bring a spare shotgun or rifle, in case somebody in camp has theirs takes a dump.

My father in law always brought a model 94 in 32 Special to Camp for that reason
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/17/21
All my guns are loaners. except my Glock 19.
I'm not particularly found of it, but it has a job to do and it is with.me.
Posted By: OAM Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by moosemike

My father in law always brought a model 94 in 32 Special to Camp for that reason

One of my all-time favorite rifles.
Posted By: iShoot17 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/17/21
I can’t say I have “loaners” but I do have rifles I have loaned. An M77 .270 was loaned to a Buddy who was invited to go to deer camp for the opening day of PA whitetail rifle season. He held onto the rifle for the full two weeks and brought it back at the end of the last day of the season. He had bought a box of shells because “he wanted to bring something of his own to camp” and gave them to me when dropping off the rifle. I was happy to help him out - I just wish he had shot a buck that year!

Another Buddy of mine has a CZ 452 22LR. He borrowed it one day for small game hunting. At the end of the hunt, he asked to hold onto it for the rest of the season so he could continue to hunt. Then it stayed with him so he could have his young boys learn to shoot. He still has it, a year-and-a-half later. I know it is in good hands between him and his family. I could get it back at any point in time and know it will be just as it was when I gave it to him!

Most of the time the lending of firearms for a hunt it worth it in my mind - allowing someone to borrow something I wouldn’t be using so they can make memories of their own and hopefully put some meat on the table. With that said, I wouldn’t loan to anyone. Close friends and family.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by moosemike

My 94 32 Special is special I wouldn't loan it to anyone period.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 04/18/21
I have a Mossberg Maverick .270 Bolt Action (similar to the 100 ATR) with a 2.8-10x Weaver 40/44 scope on it. I have probably $300 total in it. Most people I know already have hunting equipment but I keep it as a loaner.
I let my buddy’s son use my spare Tikka 7mm-08 to kill his first buck. I was with him the whole time so not a big deal.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 05/05/21
Had a coworker loan a Marlin 30-30 to his nephew a few years ago and forgot about it. A couple of years went by and another coworker pulled him aside and asked him to check out a used Marlin 30-30 sitting in the rack at a LGS. Later that day he went and looked at the rifle, he recognized the scope and sling right away. He kept his cool and asked the owner to set the gun aside for an hour or so. Called his sister and later that evening she brought her son to the shop and he bought the rifle back and returned to him. They werent speaking for a couple of months, but they eventually made amends.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 05/06/21
Remington 7400 in 280 Rem for backup/loaner. Bought as a project with pitted chamber, and beat up bluing and wood. There is nothing anyone could do to it that would bother me. It runs five cartridges as fast as you can yank the trigger.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Designated Loaner Rifle - 05/06/21
I don't know of any hunters around here that don't have at least a couple of there own. I have loaned mine a couple times when my out of state brother would come during hunting season but that's it. He has his own but on a short visit isn't worth going through the airport.
© 24hourcampfire