Home
I have a 6.5 creedmoor rifle that I've been using for deer and antelop hunting and hoping to make my all-around rifle. I'm hoping to draw an elk tag next year and use the same rifle for that as well. The only other centerfire bolt rifles I own are a 223 and a 243 that has a compact stock and is used by my wife. I like keeping my number of rifles relatively small and am not interested in getting many more.

Ammo availability has been a major issue lately for me, as it has been for most folks. I was fortunate enough to grab two boxes of ammo for deer season this year, which will last me a long time if I never practice with the thing.

Every time I go to Scheels or Cabelas I notice that there is usually a variety of 308 offerings. I know that this ammo shortage will eventually come to an end, but what about the next one, and the one after that? I suppose the answer could be to just hoard all the 6.5 CM ammo I can when it becomes affordable, but it seems like this shortage has shown the priorities of the ammo industry, and that priority is to manufacture lots of 308.

I'm considering selling the 6.5 and picking up a 308. The 308 would give me a little more recoil and a little less BC, but it would give me cheaper ammo and more trigger time.

Is there any real downside to going to the 308?
Originally Posted by antero

No.
Your premise is fundamentally flawed. You don’t need to switch, you need both.

Becoming a handloader will largely insulate you from the fluctuations in the market, once you manage to get what’s needed. What’s actually needed is pretty basic, and not terribly expensive over time. You’ll be able to practice more, always a good thing.
So, if I understand correctly, not a handloader, and don't have a regular buying plan when times are good; you want it when you need it.

No downside. Go for it.
Dump the CM and go 308. Creedmore over rated, marketing hype BS. My 6.5 SWEEDMORE will do everything the creedmore will do, and then some.
I have a 6.5 creedmoor rifle that I've been using for deer and antelop hunting and hoping to make my all-around rifle. I'm hoping to draw an elk tag next year and use the same rifle for that as well. The only other centerfire bolt rifles I own are a 223 and a 243 that has a compact stock and is used by my wife. I like keeping my number of rifles relatively small and am not interested in getting many more.

Ammo availability has been a major issue lately for me, as it has been for most folks. I was fortunate enough to grab two boxes of ammo for deer season this year, which will last me a long time if I never practice with the thing.

Every time I go to Scheels or Cabelas I notice that there is usually a variety of 308 offerings. I know that this ammo shortage will eventually come to an end, but what about the next one, and the one after that? I suppose the answer could be to just hoard all the 6.5 CM ammo I can when it becomes affordable, but it seems like this shortage has shown the priorities of the ammo industry, and that priority is to manufacture lots of 308.

I'm considering selling the 6.5 and picking up a 308. The 308 would give me a little more recoil and a little less BC, but it would give me cheaper ammo and more trigger time.

No guarantee that 308 will be available at all times, in 6 months you may see no 308 ammo and a lot of Creedmoor ammo. It's a gamble.

Keep your eyes on ammoseek.com and buy when suppliers have it in stock, not all are price gouging.

I guess my question is, Is there any upside to going 308?
Originally Posted by kenster99
Dump the CM and go 308. Creedmore over rated, marketing hype BS. My 6.5 SWEEDMORE will do everything the creedmore will do, and then some.

If it's marketing hype it sure has stuck around for quite a while, quite a while actually.

I have no need for one because I have something on either side of 6.5 that works but if I didn't have a 6mm or 7-08 the Creedmoor would for sure be on my very short list.
Both are good cartridges but it sounds like the 308 will fit your needs better, esp when you already have a 243.
Keep the Creedmoor, get a .308 and all will be right in the world. Try a few boxes to find out what your rifle likes, the buy a case of ammunition.
Switching would be more expensive IMO.
6.5cm has been one of the few cartridges available online through almost the whole shortage. Like the 308 it's clearly been a priority for Federal and Hornady. It doesn't sound like you need a ton at any given moment... why not just grab a couple boxes every so often and be set?
Also, ammoseek is helpful but it misses a lot. Check Federals website directly, same for Norma, check SGammo, finfeatherfur, etc.

No.

The downside is in selling the 6.5 Creed to get the 308 because you'll take a bath on it. The cheapest rifle is one you already own. Plus, if you're really sweating the next ammo shortage, then having two rifles that fire near-identical cartridges doubles your chances of finding ammo, and that's a considerable upside.

Okie John

If you want to maximize your trigger time, you would do better to find a .22 rifle with the same type of action and approximately the same size/weight and then set it up with the same scope and rings. I put together such a rifle for friend a couple of years ago that was based on a Marlin XT-22VR and it has worked out well for him.
Thanks all - it's not that I don't plan on buying ammo when times are good and it's back on the shelf. I just think that in-store ammo availability is a major plus to any cartridge and am wondering if what I've seen in this shortage (308 on the shelves, almost no 6.5 CM) is going to be the way things are in future shortages.
Can't beat a 308 and it is really good on bigger than deer animals.
Well I shot 60 rounds of 150 grain 308 yesterday in a scoped bolt gun weighing 7.5 pounds loaded. Recoil never bothered me so I discount that as an issue. I am surprised you haven't caught any flak for suggesting the 308 would be a better elk round than the the 6.5 Creed but it surely is. The 308 will surely not be a worse deer gun than the Creed either. Win win. You could have your rifle rebarreled and maybe save some bucks or make a trade to someone with a like rifle in 308.
Oddly enough - 6.5Creed, 6Creed, 224Valkyrie have been on the shelf here round the clock. Can't find the ammo EVERYONE says "buy this, can find it everywhere".

I'd likely stick 6.5 Creed
Thanks all - it's not that I don't plan on buying ammo when times are good and it's back on the shelf. I just think that in-store ammo availability is a major plus to any cartridge and am wondering if what I've seen in this shortage (308 on the shelves, almost no 6.5 CM) is going to be the way things are in future shortages.

Your going to have problems with whatever you have because your shortsighted and narrow minded. You still think you should be able to buy whatever you want, when you want, for what you want to pay. You don't see what your looking at very well either. Go back to the stores 80-90% of that 308 ammo is fmj ammo not hunting loads same with the 223 ammo. You don't want to be bothered with reloading either and can't see the need for a purchase of more than 2 boxes at a time. There is no advice or help for people like you except 1 thing, just stay at home and do what your wife tells you. Hey YOU asked. Happy t -day.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Your going to have problems with whatever you have because your shortsighted and narrow minded. You still think you should be able to buy whatever you want, when you want, for what you want to pay. You don't see what your looking at very well either. Go back to the stores 80-90% of that 308 ammo is fmj ammo not hunting loads same with the 223 ammo. You don't want to be bothered with reloading either and can't see the need for a purchase of more than 2 boxes at a time. There is no advice or help for people like you except 1 thing, just stay at home and do what your wife tells you. Hey YOU asked. Happy t -day.

Wow, man, someone had a fly in their Thanksgiving Day gravy. wink

STFU.
He does the blowhard schtick now and then.
Originally Posted by mathman
He does the blowhard schtick now and then.

He blows Stick??

Whooda thunk it!🤣🤣🤣
Well I do enjoy Stick telling you 2 guys where to get off and what he thinks of your cumulative knowledge. Stick doesn't give me hell like you guys because when he passes on his knowledge I listen. One of the know nothing blowhards on this forum is 10 gaugemag just don't listen to any advice he gives on the right magazine for your 760 or 7600 or anything else he says if you don't want it to cost you money. Mathman I usually listen to what you have to say because you are knowledgeable and informed but you need to watch who you side. Both of you I hope will still have a happy t day. Mb
Switch if you want.....when the gun bug hits I don’t have ground to stand on as far as criticizing choice. I wouldn’t switch personally and would try to either find more 6.5 or run down reloading gear and go that route.
I've thrown together a few switch barrel rifles for some guys around here, they seem pretty happy with the results, but I encourage them to use cartridges of the same family which simplifies the hell out of things, hence the cost is lower...a good deal if you are a young working man with a family.
I wasn't siding with anyone, just noting that sometimes you seem to come on unnecessarily strong. I probably should have stayed quiet. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, let's shake on it and have a great holiday.
Perhaps the OP is on to something...

I was in the local SW yesterday (the 24th) and they had for the first time 308 & 30-06 ammo out the gazoo. No .26 CM however.

And just in time for the season to close...
Well I do enjoy Stick telling you 2 guys where to get off and what he thinks of your cumulative knowledge. Stick doesn't give me hell like you guys because when he passes on his knowledge I listen. One of the know nothing blowhards on this forum is 10 gaugemag just don't listen to any advice he gives on the right magazine for your 760 or 7600 or anything else he says if you don't want it to cost you money. Mathman I usually listen to what you have to say because you are knowledgeable and informed but you need to watch who you side. Both of you I hope will still have a happy t day. Mb

Watch who you side? Are the Sharks and the Jets gonna rumble after recess lol. Yeesh.

Not sure where I cost anybody any $$ on a mag for a Remington pump but I am sure you're right.
You CLUELESS Fhuqking Drooltards are a HOOT! Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon the simplistic FACT,that bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Nod your crossed-eyes,setting atop your pencil necks,like you "understand". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!.

To START with,there's NEVER been a 308 Factory "offering",that'll keep pace with a 264 Kreedmire Factory Load. Read that again. Now one more time. Let it marinate. Hint.

In retrospect,I've only whistled 1000+ rounds of 308 through a bolt gun in a single day,mebbe only five fhuqking times. Such things help R&D stocks,bedding,mounting systems,optics integrity and felt recoil mitigation,fire control group sanctity,along with more than a few other constants,which bear fruit. Hell...I've only caught (1) HK-41's fore end on fire too. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

I REALLY fhuqking HOPE,there's a Fhuqktard STUPID enough to down grade a 264 Kreedmire to 308,because that is Texas FUNNY! Hint.

The 308 will always recoil more,drop more,drift more and arrive the scene at lesser velocity,if only for fhuqking starters. Hint.

Schit Ammo doesn't "enhance" practice. Let alone the diminished abilities to derive trace/impact and contend drift. Hint.

Facts/Physics are handy,despite Fhuqking Retards being oblivious to said constants. Hint.

"Some" 308. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Some" 264 Kreedmire(though admittedly,I'm rather GREAT with a Rifle). Hint.

THE M852 308. Though a Ruger American Kreed CRUSHES it. Hint.

Bless your CLUELESS poor poor(literally) hearts.

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Pardon the simplistic FACT,that bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Nod your crossed-eyes,setting atop your pencil necks,like you "understand". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!.

To START with,there's NEVER been a 308 Factory "offering",that'll keep pace with a 264 Kreedmire Factory Load. Read that again. Now one more time. Let it marinate. Hint.

In retrospect,I've only whistled 1000+ rounds of 308 through a bolt gun in a single day,mebbe only five fhuqking times. Such things help R&D stocks,bedding,mounting systems,optics integrity and felt recoil mitigation,fire control group sanctity,along with more than a few other constants,which bear fruit. Hell...I've only caught (1) HK-41's fore end on fire too. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

I REALLY fhuqking HOPE,there's a Fhuqktard STUPID enough to down grade a 264 Kreedmire to 308,because that is Texas FUNNY! Hint.

The 308 will always recoil more,drop more,drift more and arrive the scene at lesser velocity,if only for fhuqking starters. Hint.

Schit Ammo doesn't "enhance" practice. Let alone the diminished abilities to derive trace/impact and contend drift. Hint.

Facts/Physics are handy,despite Fhuqking Retards being oblivious to said constants. Hint.

"Some" 308. Hint.

Hint.

Which round has better ballistics at 2000 yards after soaking in the creek for 4 hours?
Originally Posted by skeen

No.

True 👍....Hb

I see someone is militant in taking his @sshole pills.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Becoming a handloader will largely insulate you from the fluctuations in the market, once you manage to get what’s needed. What’s actually needed is pretty basic, and not terribly expensive over time. You’ll be able to practice more, always a good thing.

This^^^^
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

"Some" 308. Hint.

Hint.

Which round has better ballistics at 2000 yards after soaking in the creek for 4 hours?

Haha 😂😂
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by kenster99

If it's marketing hype it sure has stuck around for quite a while, quite a while actually.

I have no need for one because I have something on either side of 6.5 that works but if I didn't have a 6mm or 7-08 the Creedmoor would for sure be on my very short list.

I have and use creedmoor, 7mm08, and swedemore. They all work well. The creedmoor's are markedly more accurate though. They were designed to be a target round with accuracy in mind and they don't disappoint...
I have several of each, you can’t have too many. I’d go 30-06 if I had to make a switch.
I was seeing some 6.5 CM when I wasn’t seeing .308 for a while. Then I didn’t see either. Recently I have seen some .308, 9L, 223 around. I think the manufacturers will pour most of the manufacturing capabilities into the most popular or demanded cartridges for awhile, or until things ‘normalize’. That said, 6.5 is very hot and popular right now. I expect you’ll see some pop up sooner than later. Certainly not worth selling a gun over. No flies on a .308 though, despite Stick’s adoration of the kreedmire. Buy another rifle if you like, for any reason you may like - all reasons are good. And .308 is good too. My only advice would be not to bail out on your current rifle, unless you are unhappy with it.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have several of each, you can’t have too many. I’d go 30-06 if I had to make a switch.

This might be good advice too, even if you kept your 6.5 CM, but wanted to ad another rifle, potentially more suited to Elk. In the interest of diversity.
Virtually all of the .308 I see on shelves is FMJ ammo. Which is not an issue if you handload, and have components.

I pretty much always see hunting ammo available for the Creedmoor

And I may be the wrong guy to say this, because I likely have more .308s than all other centerfires combined, but if I wanted to hunt with a minimum number of rifles, the Creedmoor would be at the top of my list for general use.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a .308, but it is on the heavy end of the generalist rifle spectrum, IMO.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

This^^^^

Mostly I was just funning about needing both, as I’ve found I can make do with just about anything, but having options is always a good thing, and a .308 is a very capable, useful, and versatile round. It’s not the ultimate for anything, but does lots of stuff pretty well. I’m seldom without one, and just dropped a fair bit on a second one, which I figure will be largely offset by all the components already in hand, essentially “free” according to loony logic. No flies at all on any 6.5, but only the Grendel has appeared here thus far.
No sense selling the 6.5 Creed.

This pic is 1000 words of why it's never a bad idea to include a 308, or a 30-06 (or a 223/5.56). Surplus ammo is usually available, and reasonably priced, in a relative sense.

The 6.5 CM is an ok deer and speed-goat cartridge, I suppose. If I were upgrading I would go with a .30-06 or larger and keep the Crudmore.
It’s probably been mentioned but since you have a .243 a .308 makes sense because you can use either case for both rifles with little effort….

I like my .308’s and the Creed would be superfluous for my purposes. I tend towards practicality in such matters, worst case scenarios. Each of my main hunting rifles have little brothers ie my 35 Whelen has my 30-06, my .338wm has my 7mm mag, my .308 has the .243. 😁
You gals REALLY "know" your "stuff". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pardon a 264 Kreedmire squirting a .697BC at 2700fps from a 21" spout and simply CRUSHING 308 Dreams. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Let alone seen one! Hint. LAUGHING!

Just kidding! I've never even heard of a 308 or '06. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Luckily,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you ladies can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Norma has 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo in stock. Some sort of 140 grain soft point. I don't know a thing about it but I assume it wouldn't bounce off of a deer.

https://normashooting.com/shop/cali...creedmoor-140-gr-whitetail-norma-qty-20/

And it ain't cheap, but Mid South has Winchester factory ammo with copper solids, if you live in an area with a lead free bullet requirement.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....n-deer-season-xp-copper-impact-20-rounds

I like keeping my number of rifles relatively small and am not interested in getting many more.

Antero,

Less money to just pick up additional ammo, especially when there's not a crunch on.

Bullet placement will matter more than whether you are shooting a .308 Win or a 6.5 Creed. Best way to get there is with practice. A bolt 22 rifle will help with the fundamentals. Shooting your centerfire will give you familiarity with your rifle/cartridge ballistics, and mean more come crunch time than having two boxes of ammo sitting on the shelf

I pretty much buy No factory ammo, just reload. I enjoy the hobby a lot, and IF you stock up on components you won't even notice the shortages. Not really in-expensive to get into though.

Jerry

The gun weight and powder charge of 243 puts it in the recoil class of 6.5 120gr while performance on game is more like 223. 223 and 243 are your overlap. A broader battery would be 223, 6.5 and 308.

Try a slip on recoil pad on the compact stock to see if it fits you fine. Then try with the pad off while wearing heavy cold weather gear. This scheme fits the guns to you both in all seasons.

When you ask a diverse group for advice, you're likely to get a diverse spread of feedback.
As for the abundance of FMJ military style ammo being available I find that to be a bonus. There may soon come a time when any ammo will be appreciated including FMJ's.
Try shooting a braked 308 it’s like shooting a 223 but a bit louder
308 is my favorite round, and it wins the factory ammo contest, hands-down.

Having said that, I also like (and have) the 6.5 CM. Inside 600 yards the 6.5's "superiority" means jackchit. And, with 6.5/140's the difference in recoil vs the 308/165 isn't that great. And with a 308/150-155, there's essentially no difference.

My advice would be to keep the 6.5 and add a 308 too. But barring that, the 308 in conjunction with the 243 you already have is a nice combo... but for me, I'd ditch the 243 and keep the 6.5CM WITH a 308 Win.
You CLUELESS Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqks are a Hoot!. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The 264 Kreedmire will simply ALWAYS enjoy less drop,drift and recoil,while arriving the scene with greater ass,due greater impact velocity. HILARIOUS that the only things you Fhuqktards "shoot",are your mouths and Imaginations. Hint.

Fortunately for you gals,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". To knock 'er out of Da' Park and cite the .243" boolits you are TRYING to "talk" about,but be VERY careful,I likely shoot more than a "few" chamberings in said bore size and 3050fps is EASILY arranged with a 21" spout(Seex Kreed or 243Win) and a .6xx BC. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Yep if all I did were shoot paper out past 600 yards that might be of value but for Elk hunting at the usual ranges I'll take a 308 or 30-06 any day.
How do you get "look at my 6 Creedmoor" from a guy asking if he should go up in diameter from 6.5 Creedmoor?!?!???
You gals REALLY "know" your "stuff". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pardon a 264 Kreedmire squirting a .697BC at 2700fps from a 21" spout and simply CRUSHING 308 Dreams. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Let alone seen one! Hint. LAUGHING!

Just kidding! I've never even heard of a 308 or '06. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Luckily,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you ladies can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

The guy said the two boxes he bought would last a while. I see a guy that shoots as much as you being able to realize the benefits. He’s in ugly stik mode. A GL3 or IMX would be a waste.
I agree with those who say you should add a .308 and keep the 6.5 CM, assuming you can afford it. They're both great cartridges, but I prefer a .308, with the right bullets, for larger game. I like the 6.5 CM for deer and antelope and the .308 for larger animals, including bears. Please note, I'm not saying you can't do it all with a 6.5 CM, that's just my personal preference.
Gooch',

The Astute will take notes and connect dots by literal default and Droolers will simply keep on droolin'. Hint.

The Paper Hat Brigade fixates none of the things that matter and swoon headstamps,which are by and large meaningless. Recoil reduction,benefits everyone. Fending atmospherics,benefits everyone. Conjoining same in Factory Fodder,do not "hurt" the equation. That said projectile is routinely offered in same,ain't a step backwards either. Hint.(grin)

I get to listen to this CLUELESS Schit all of the fhuqking time and it of course cracks me the fhuqk up! Simply because I shoot it all and then some,it is hardly "daunting" to toss at least one of everything thus far cited in my crummy and let Newbs extrapolate via Spent Primers. NOBODY is gonna say "YEP...just like I thought,I REALLY want a 308 and a 30-'06 now!",or even fhuqking CLOSE. Them realizations add ZERO to the cost and only strengthen the chain. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

NONE of these gals has anything bordering a FIRST Fhuqking Clue and they really like to prove it,by simply doing their best. Which of course,only bolsters the HILARITY. Hint.

I'm at ease,in fueling Crying Karen Melting Snowflake Insecurities and groove on how exceptionally WELL founded they are. Hint.

Gooch',

The Astute will take notes and connect dots by literal default and Droolers will simply keep on droolin'. Hint.

The Paper Hat Brigade fixates none of the things that matter and swoon headstamps,which are by and large meaningless. Recoil reduction,benefits everyone. Fending atmospherics,benefits everyone. Conjoining same in Factory Fodder,do not "hurt" the equation. That said projectile is routinely offered in same,ain't a step backwards either. Hint.(grin)

I get to listen to this CLUELESS Schit all of the fhuqking time and it of course cracks me the fhuqk up! Simply because I shoot it all and then some,it is hardly "daunting" to toss at least one of everything thus far cited in my crummy and let Newbs extrapolate via Spent Primers. NOBODY is gonna say "YEP...just like I thought,I REALLY want a 308 and a 30-'06 now!",or even fhuqking CLOSE. Them realizations add ZERO to the cost and only strengthen the chain. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

NONE of these gals has anything bordering a FIRST Fhuqking Clue and they really like to prove it,by simply doing their best. Which of course,only bolsters the HILARITY. Hint.

I'm at ease,in fueling Crying Karen Melting Snowflake Insecurities and groove on how exceptionally WELL founded they are. Hint.

Hah look at the ballistic coefficient of that fat cork bobber!
Loomis in hand - don't know those that set it down for an UglyStick instead.
You can buy a new 308 for less than you would lose on the sale of your 6.5. I saw a Savage advertised for less than $250 at BP and other bargains abound. Keep what youve got, and acquire the .308. Never know when you'll find a mini-gun can of linked ammo in somebody's basement.

No.

No
[quote=Big Stick

............[/quote]
Probably the most important thing offered in the conversation although I probably rate with the clueless
Rickety,

Your Retardation,never disappoints...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

A Texan wouldn't be able to discern BC from A/C. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Teal,

I feel your pain.(grin)

Laughing!................

'sore,

NOBODY gets "good"or "better",by gunning Schit Riggin' and increasing recoil,drop and drift. Hint.(grin)

The 264 Kreedmire operates in Rare Air,with a .697 BC of MODEST "recoil" and superb consistency,which kicks a 308 Win in it's fhuqking face. Hint.

Side by each extrapolations,tend to bear more than a "touch" of credence. Hint.

Ever thought about a 270 ? It’s a step up and flat shooting a little more in the recoil dept but along the same as a 308 and ammo is plentiful

Antero, the downside is you will be culling out a great round (6.5CM) for another great round (.308 Win.) but in the process you will be missing out on options each has to offer. As for availability, Norma now has their 6.5 Whitetail 140gr. on sale for $32.99 for a box of 20. About six weeks ago it was $29.99 - no tax and no S/H - right from Norma - no middleman. That is about what you might pay for just Norma brass - $1.50 each. It was very accurate in my Kimber Montana and I wasn't afraid of the softpoint bullet design for my NM bull hunt. I've seen too many elk killed with middle of the road cartridges using core and bullets. Brad has also said the same many times throughout these discussions.

So I took the Norma ammo to NM in early Oct.'21 and on the second day still hunted up to two bulls feeding in green grass. I threaded the shot through the aspens and the 5x5 went down in about 40 feet. I posted that on the "elk hunt" page with photos of the bull and recovered bullet. The 140gr had a recovery weight of 105gr..

Back in 2019 I used a 143gr ELD-X to notch my caribou tag in Alaska at a lazered 375 yards. It dropped at the shot. Later that season I took a cow elk with the same bullet at 110 yards on a 0* snowshoe evening hunt. The cow slid way down the hill on the snow making recovered simple with the ranchers truck. That doesn't happen too often!

I've taken four cows with the .308 Win. with no rodeos to report. Plus others with a .270Win, 30-06, 300WM, 300WSM, 325WSM and the 338WM. As others have said, it's not the name on the headstamp but the placement with an adequately constructed bullet.

So you are not giving up anything staying with the 6.5CM for your elk hunt. I'd be vigilant with searching online and in your area. The season is coming to an end so it may free up more availability. Don't forget Fleet Farm if they are in your area. I'd stay in the 140 - 143gr sweet spot.

The money you save from buying a .308 Win (I know - I feel the daggers) could allow you to upgrade boots or a binocular.

Good luck.
Looks like you should be using Ugly sticks Stick. Gotta admit you live around some fine fishing.

Hornady Super Performance 150gr. 308 chronographed 2933 fps in my 22" barreled Kimber (it was advertised 3000 fps on the box)....the 30 cal 150 gr. is not as ballistic coeficiant as the thinner 6.5 bullets....but balistic coefficiancy never killed anything.

At normal hunting ranges out to 300 yards BC plays little part in making the trip.
The .308 will handle a heavier 165 gr. bullet pretty good ( I suspect near Creedmore velosity)....if you want lighter bullets with higher ballistic coeficiancy traveling at a slower speed stick with the Creedmore.

Lots of Mule deer and Elk have been killed with a .243 Win. with a 100 grain Nosler Partican.
I've cleaned up as much as I could but 300+ .308 Win ammo choices vs. 52 6.5 Creedmoor. I couldn't remove anymore non hunting ammunition from the .308, the app wouldn't let me. I got rid of most FMJ and varmint bullets in .308 Win, but didn't exclude anything from the 6.5 CM.

Originally Posted by taylorce1
I've cleaned up as much as I could but 300+ .308 Win ammo choices vs. 52 6.5 Creedmoor. I couldn't remove anymore non hunting ammunition from the .308, the app wouldn't let me. I got rid of most FMJ and varmint bullets in .308 Win, but didn't exclude anything from the 6.5 CM.

It’s apparently a tough concept for most of the recoil reduced IQ’s here to grasp…
LMFAO…
Gooch',

Ha! North fork for win you wifeless child intimidation master…. Only someone that’s fish the [bleep] outta both would know….. you buying stolen rods at pawn shop? Laffin, raffin, did you really beat your wife? Haha you ain’t no man…
Originally Posted by Shag
Gooch',

Ha! North fork for win you wifeless child intimidation master…. Only someone that’s fish the [bleep] outta both would know….. you buying stolen rods at pawn shop? Laffin, raffin, did you really beat your wife? Haha you ain’t no man…

Shagalicious you sexy sumbitch, bacon throat still thinks her 9”’s rods are the shiit!!! Haha

We know “flossing “ don’t take much, maybe she should buy stock in “shakephere “??? Haha 😂
[bleep], I do love the “bobbers” and the braid you stupid sumbitch!!! Haha 😂😂
earlyturd,

You make a VERY good point,in that there ain't too many things fhuqking funnier,than a POS 270. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Mebbe say a few words,about the "Flat Shooting" Load you enjoy most,along with rifle particulars(Make/Model,mounting system,glass,etc.),if only because it will be funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

bigpoop,

Do "tell" about your "heralded" Imaginary 140-143gr "sweet spot". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

P.S. and by the way,Norma brass sucks heavy ass. Hint.

Hint.

Rickety,

At least you can "afford" to read my EVERY word and gawk The Splendid Pixels...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The Texas Version of everything,is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

Hint.

Kudos to The Paper Hat Brigade,for "flaunting" 300+ Bad Fhuqking Ideas,as being "viable",in regards to ammo selection. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

There's NO stopping you CLUELESS Fhuqktards' inherent Retardation and you gals REALLY "get after it". One could fit your annual "round count's" empties in a TicTac dispenser,less even "filling" the bottom. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

You gals couldn't catch a Cold,let alone Dinner. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hint.

Originally Posted by goalie
How do you get "look at my 6 Creedmoor" from a guy asking if he should go up in diameter from 6.5 Creedmoor?!?!???

It involves, alcohol, 2 working brain cells, and an overdose of pompous self centered stupidity.... and not showering for 4 to 6 months....

meth helps alot also...
I haven't looked at factory ammo prices for awhile, but wasn't surprised that they would spike when the anti-gun Democratic Party came into power.

The last factory ammo that I bought was 200 rounds of Winchester/Olin 6.5 CM 125 grain Deer Season XP back in 02/21 for $223.20 including 7% sales tax. IIRC, the ammo case was full of a wide variety of common CF, RF, and shotgun ammo, so buying 10 boxes hardly put a dent in the inventory. The last time that I was in that WM there were less than 10 boxes of ammo in the case in total.

Plan ahead, buy ammo when it is available and fairly priced. I keep a dedicated stock of ammo for each CF rifle, 100 rounds for huting rifles and 300 round for colony varmint rifles. If I didn't reload and I only had a few different rifles to feed, I might keep more ammo for each rifle around and replace it as I used it so as to keep the on-hand inventory at pre-determined levels.

I learned my lesson about factory ammo after the 12/12 CT school shooting. I could seldom find 17HM2 ammo anywhere for the next 5 years, 2013 thru 2018. The only good things about it were that I had a few thousand rounds of 17HM2 ammo on-hand, so I could hunt with my 17HM2s, and lots of people who hadn't kept a supploy of ammo on-hand were selling the rifles chambered in 17HM2 at a discount. I bought my Anschutz 1502 and Remington 504 toward the end of the ammo shortage, in 2018, for around 2/3 of what they would have sold for if ammo had been easily available. If you embrace the mechanized infrantryman's mantra of "better to have and not need thant to need and not have" you'll generally be OK.
That’s a hard mantra to follow for a lot “hunters”. I told a family member to keep 5 boxes of ammo on hand for every rifle he owns. He didn’t take my advice and was down to 3 rounds of 243 and 7 of 270gay. I found him some online and the price was very good but do you think he ordered more than 2 boxes? Nope.
I've got a brother with more money than time and won't hesitate to drop the coin to go on a hunt to "improve" on his 300 class elk wall hanger.

When I tell him to go buy 5 boxes of premium ammo and use up 4 of 'em practicing before the hunt his response is "are you kidding? Do you know the cost of that?" confused

ouch on that Loomis. $75 bucks too replace now?

Rickety,

Your Retardation,never disappoints...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

A Texan wouldn't be able to discern BC from A/C. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Teal,

I feel your pain.(grin)

Laughing!................

'sore,

NOBODY gets "good"or "better",by gunning Schit Riggin' and increasing recoil,drop and drift. Hint.(grin)

The 264 Kreedmire operates in Rare Air,with a .697 BC of MODEST "recoil" and superb consistency,which kicks a 308 Win in it's fhuqking face. Hint.

Side by each extrapolations,tend to bear more than a "touch" of credence. Hint.

To the OP-
Here, solve your problem in 30 seconds.

I'd buy at least a 10 pack, but I don't do shortages.

https://www.milehighshooting.com/hornady-81501-6-5-creedmoor-147-gr-eld-match-20-box/
Originally Posted by 260madman
That’s a hard mantra to follow for a lot “hunters”. I told a family member to keep 5 boxes of ammo on hand for every rifle he owns. He didn’t take my advice and was down to 3 rounds of 243 and 7 of 270gay. I found him some online and the price was very good but do you think he ordered more than 2 boxes? Nope.

Friend of mine messaged me the day before deer season opened, and said a client of his had called and was in need of 30-06 ammo. The guy had only had 3 rounds for his rifle, and wanted to know if anyone had some they'd sell, so he could go hunting.

I messaged him back the following reply.........1, I don't own a 30-06, so I don't have any ammo. 2, a local store had a box yesterday, and Rural King had some earlier in the week. 3, anyone who waits until the day before deer season to get their rifle out of the safe and finds they only have 3 shells for it, should just put the rifle back in the safe, as that's pretty pizz poor planning, and it's evident the person is not very serious about hunting.

I didn't get a reply, which I didn't really expect to.
My "ammo supply" for rounds of .224, .257,.284,and .308 diameter will last far after I am gone. I use my 6.5 for target shooting so in reality my ability to put together around 500 rounds doesn't make the cut as a long term supply. Same for the .243 but 600 rounds goes a long way coyote hunting.
The only thing a 308 brings to the table is cheaper factory ammo. That's about it's only redeeming quality. The 243, 260, and 7-08 are all a better use of that case.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The only thing a 308 brings to the table is cheaper factory ammo. That's about it's only redeeming quality. The 243, 260, and 7-08 are all a better use of that case.

Better how exactly? I own all four and find nothing wrong with the 308. What can the other three do that a 200 grain partition going 2400 fps can't? My favorite of course is the 7-08.

Pay attention to Brad’s advice. He has actually taken lots of game with the two you are considering.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Better how exactly? I own all four and find nothing wrong with the 308. What can the other three do that a 200 grain partition going 2400 fps can't? My favorite of course is the 7-08.

How about provide plenty of deer killing power with a flatter trajectory and much less recoil?

Another of those "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" things.

I have seen it happen time and again. I had a guy show up at the range awhile back to check the zero on his Remington 742 in 30-06 who had 10 rounds of mixed ammo, different brands but the same bullet weight, plus the screws in his base were loose, plus there was a year's worth of dust built up on the objective lens of his scope such that it looked "foggy". I tightened the screws on his base, bore sighted it with a collunmator, and cleaned the lenses on his 40 year old Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. He used the 6 rounds of Remington and Winchester to zero the scope, leaving him with 4 rounds of Federal to hunt with. I didn't have any 150 grain 30-06 factory ammo, just 165 and 180 grain, so I couldn't help him.

I have very little patience or sympathy for anyone who doesn't plan ahead at least a little. If you actively fail to plan, you are passively planning to fail, right? Make a list, check it twice, and check it more than a day before openning day of the season.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Another of those "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" things.

I have seen it happen time and again. I had a guy show up at the range awhile back to check the zero on his Remington 742 in 30-06 who had 10 rounds of mixed ammo, different brands but the same bullet weight, plus the screws in his base were loose, plus there was a year's worth of dust built up on the objective lens of his scope such that it looked "foggy". I tightened the screws on his base, bore sighted it with a collunmator, and cleaned the lenses on his 40 year old Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. He used the 6 rounds of Remington and Winchester to zero the scope, leaving him with 4 rounds of Federal to hunt with. I didn't have any 150 grain 30-06 factory ammo, just 165 and 180 grain, so I couldn't help him.

I have very little patience or sympathy for anyone who doesn't plan ahead at least a little. If you actively fail to plan, you are passively planning to fail, right? Make a list, check it twice, and check it more than a day before openning day of the season.

[u][/u]

Right! Well said.
Shooting SA .30 caliber 110-200 grain bullets from 3,200 fps-2,450 fps opens up a hell of a lot of versatile use from varmints to moose. Not gonna go hungry toting a 308 WCF, just know your game and pick your load/bullet. From 20lbs game to 1,200lbs game there’s a combo that works. Also being a proven exceptionally accurate cartridge throughout its history doesn’t hurt a thing either. It’s a true one gunner for most anything you can hunt.

I never met anyone who dropped the .308. Its fan base is loyal.
This thread. Holy moly.

1. Keep the 6.5 it’s pretty badass
2. Get the additional .308 - it’s badass too but a slightly different era of badass & developed for different reasons.
3. Always keep 3-5 boxes of ammo on hand no matter factory or reloads - don’t ever run out. Do you let your car run out of gas?
4. Don’t get wadded up on ballistics. Are you a hunter or target shooter - define this & set up accordingly.
5. Indeed, headstamps don’t matter but having a .264 & .308 bullet launcher isn’t a bad idea.
6. Do what you want cuz why wouldn’t you?
7. Once you have ammo - worry WAY more about putting a slug where it needs to go.
8. Practice and don’t ever stop. Ever. You owe it to the animal & yourself.
9. Start reloading. Even a basic simple setup. It’s good for the mind & wallet.
10. Be happy & prosper.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
This thread. Holy moly.

1. Keep the 6.5 it’s pretty badass
2. Get the additional .308 - it’s badass too but a slightly different era of badass & developed for different reasons.
3. Always keep 3-5 boxes of ammo on hand no matter factory or reloads - don’t ever run out. Do you let your car run out of gas?
4. Don’t get wadded up on ballistics. Are you a hunter or target shooter - define this & set up accordingly.
5. Indeed, headstamps don’t matter but having a .264 & .308 bullet launcher isn’t a bad idea.
6. Do what you want cuz why wouldn’t you?
7. Once you have ammo - worry WAY more about putting a slug where it needs to go.
8. Practice and don’t ever stop. Ever. You owe it to the animal & yourself.
9. Start reloading. Even a basic simple setup. It’s good for the mind & wallet.
10. Be happy & prosper.

Haha
Way to ruin a perfectly good, insult tossing, name calling, off track rabbit hole diving thread! (Hint)(laughing)
Hahaha oops. 😜

Faster velocity coupled with higher b.c. bullets, and less recoil. 2400 fps is a dog. If you're going to shoot a 200gr bullet, jump up to a 300 mag.
I wouldn’t be afraid to hunt elk with a 6.5 Creed, at least, if my alternate was a .308. Both pretty similar.

But there’s different degrees of hunting elk. On some hunts, I wouldn’t want either cartridge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Upon further reflection I suggest that you stay with the Creed…..the less people that convert to the .308 (and .30cal in general) the cheaper and more available the ammunition and components will be available. I’m set for a couple lifetimes but I still add in and update my stores. 😁

There’s not much to not like about a 130TTSX at 3200 for most hunting purposes. Slippery and sexy only matters at long range….my longest kill on a cow elk was 527 with the terribly unsexy and ballistically inferior .338wm and a 225gr TBBC at 2650 from my 20” rifle. I don’t need a corvette when I want a truck.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

I never met anyone who dropped the .308. Its fan base is loyal.

A loyal fan of the 308 and 155 Scenar's but learned there was no downside to the 6.5X47 and 139 Scenar's, less powder, less recoil, less drop, less drift, better fit in a 2.8 mag box.

The Screechmoor is more of the same, personally I prefer the 6 and 22 with 108's and 88's and will scoop up a 6.5 FC when the price is right.

If I only needed two boxes of ammo per year, no fk'n way would I trip a 6.5 for a 308.
The main issue in this thread, and every other one that *certain people* get involved in, is that they create a ballistics binary in which the cartridge with slightly inferior ballistics is 100% disqualified from being useful at all, in spite of it having a decades-old track record of successfully putting down big game. The Creedmoor has a better trajectory at 700 yards. Great. Who is shooting elk at 700 yards and what does that have to do with the 308 or 30-06 at 150 yards? The answers are hopefully no one and nothing, respectively. I own a 6.5 and a 280. They both work. And one working doesn't spoil the other. Also own a 30-30. Is it a 400 yard cartridge? No. But apparently because it can't match the ballistics of a 7-08 it hasn't accounted for untold game for well over a century... yeesh.

I plan to switch from the 260 to 308 - less meat damage.

I may go back to 358, but I’m a tad hesitant because of the trajectory given I somethings shoot over 300.
Had a 308. Will likely never have one again. Dropped it. No interest because it's not better than several other cartridges in a SA. Why have it then? Better is better, even if it's better in an area I'd never utilize. It's not better in areas I do utilize either.

While I get clockwork's point - it's not that it's binary and the question isn't "I have NO rifle, which?" But "I have A rifle and it does happen to have advantages over the 308. Should I switch to 308?"
Never shot a Creed, dunno nuffin' about it.

The .308 is pretty good if belt fed. 6 barrels helps. It'll cut down big trees, eat a hole thru a bunker roof and plink monkeys running across the tree tops.

I don't have much use for pistols.
Originally Posted by Teal
Had a 308. Will likely never have one again. Dropped it. No interest because it's not better than several other cartridges in a SA. Why have it then? Better is better, even if it's better in an area I'd never utilize. It's not better in areas I do utilize either.

While I get clockwork's point - it's not that it's binary and the question isn't "I have NO rifle, which?" But "I have A rifle and it does happen to have advantages over the 308. Should I switch to 308?"

Teal - the 6.5 definitely has advantages over 308. But the 308 also has a few and a lot could depend on the rifle itself. If you told me I could have a M70 FWT in 308 or a Savage Axis in 6.5, and I'm never going to shoot game past 250 yards anyway, I'm taking the Winchester faster than you can say 308. Or if you just wanted to use heavier bullets, 308 might be your ticket. In a specific area, ammo might be more available for one or the other, but online sales seem to make that a push.

I guess my point is the next new cartridge doesn't make every cartridge behind it obsolete, because most of what makes it better only applies to .0009% of the shooting population and makes zero real difference in real world hunting scenarios. Otherwise, why does anyone have a Creedmoor? The newer 6.5s have better ballistics.
In the current environment, I believe 5 boxes of ammo for your rifles is too low. My local LGS and Academy have bare shelves. periodically something shows up but not normally my desired caliber ay reasonable prices. That's 257 Weatherby,270 Weatherby,22-250 and 30-30. I think reasonable prices may have to be redefined also. Everything has gone up except my pension. I bought last year what In thought I would need in 257 and 270 and found some 22-250 last week @ 21 a box. Have seen no boxes of 30-30. Do not need it but would like to add to my stash.
Guys are endlessly looking for the perfect tool, but forget it's the craftsman that makes the tool, not the reverse - of course in this case the tool is the rifle/cartridge, the craftsman is the hunter/rifleman.

Q: "what's the best elk rifle/cartridge?"
A: "Whatever the best elk hunter/rifleman has in his hands."

I get it of course. The reason most of us are on this site is we're rifle nuts. Part of loonyism is debating over, and playing with a variety of platforms and cartridges. I guess the difference for me is I've never been under the illusion that I "needed" anything other than a 308 for my hunting, in spite of having dozens of rifles chambered in dozens of cartridges. Every cartridge is a compromise weighted in one direction or another, and there are all kinds of factors that enter the choice other than just "the numbers."
Your points are well taken but in the favor of the 308 over others is inexpensive GI brass for the 308 and easier found 308 bullets. Of course that only counts with those of us who believe in having more than 2 boxes of ammo on the shelf ready to go. But you know you allways need to consider the source. Mb
Holy [bleep]! shocked

I'm so old, I remember when you could get .308 SSTs for ~$22 bucks a box. smile

Holy [bleep]! shocked

I'm so old, I remember when you could get .308 SSTs for ~$22 bucks a box. smile

That was several variants ago 😇😂
Your points are well taken but in the favor of the 308 over others is inexpensive GI brass for the 308 and easier found 308 bullets. Of course that only counts with those of us who believe in having more than 2 boxes of ammo on the shelf ready to go. But you know you allways need to consider the source. Mb

The other problem now is that guys are inevitably going to panic buy ammo in bulk before they know if it shoots worth a damn in their rifle.
Clockwork people.have to take their own son of a bitch lessons you can't do it for them.. mb
Clockwork people.have to take their own son of a bitch lessons you can't do it for them.. mb

We agree on something lol.

What lessons are those? That internet posers are a dime a dozen?
Get the 308 as a back up. Both the 6.5 and 308 will work on elk with proper bullets, And more importantly shot placement. Worse case scenario you get the dated 06 to shoot 180s for your dedicated elk rifle
More than one A hole at work was in need of ammo before season.
The guys that always "one up" on any topic.

Fuggem.

Wouldn't sell em anything.

However, if a decent guy or bud needed some in a pinch I'd just give it to them.
Oh, and I have only one .308 and no 6.5.
The advantage of .308 for me is wider choice of platform.
Switch barrel set up for me.

Factory 24" 308 barrel

Carbonsix 26'' 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor barrel

Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Teal

Teal - the 6.5 definitely has advantages over 308. But the 308 also has a few and a lot could depend on the rifle itself. If you told me I could have a M70 FWT in 308 or a Savage Axis in 6.5, and I'm never going to shoot game past 250 yards anyway, I'm taking the Winchester faster than you can say 308. Or if you just wanted to use heavier bullets, 308 might be your ticket. In a specific area, ammo might be more available for one or the other, but online sales seem to make that a push.

I guess my point is the next new cartridge doesn't make every cartridge behind it obsolete, because most of what makes it better only applies to .0009% of the shooting population and makes zero real difference in real world hunting scenarios. Otherwise, why does anyone have a Creedmoor? The newer 6.5s have better ballistics.

This is exactly where I am.

In the context of the 200-300 yards being the farthest I'd ever have to worry about, a 308 with a 130 gr bullet (TTSX) uses pretty much comparable powder charge weights, to shoot said bullet as fast or faster than the 6.5mm Creedmoor throws its 130 grain bullet.

One is a lot more efficient afterwards sure but what do I care? Nothing at all. Recoils the same, possibly even lighter depending on what rifle it is coming from.

And if I ever decide I want to go heavier over those same relatively short ranges, I can. Best of both worlds.
Originally Posted by mathman

How about provide plenty of deer killing power with a flatter trajectory and much less recoil?

The impetus for his change was elk hunting. Recoil? The 308 may bother some in long strings from a bench or prone but it really isn't a hard kicker. And that wonderful flatter trajectory comes into play around the time you need a rangefinder anyway. If you know your drop then hitting out to 500 yards isn't hard just as if you know your wind values the improved wind bucking abilities only come into play farther out than most will shoot at live animals.
I answered your question.
© 24hourcampfire