Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The main issue in this thread, and every other one that *certain people* get involved in, is that they create a ballistics binary in which the cartridge with slightly inferior ballistics is 100% disqualified from being useful at all, in spite of it having a decades-old track record of successfully putting down big game. The Creedmoor has a better trajectory at 700 yards. Great. Who is shooting elk at 700 yards and what does that have to do with the 308 or 30-06 at 150 yards? The answers are hopefully no one and nothing, respectively. I own a 6.5 and a 280. They both work. And one working doesn't spoil the other. Also own a 30-30. Is it a 400 yard cartridge? No. But apparently because it can't match the ballistics of a 7-08 it hasn't accounted for untold game for well over a century... yeesh.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I plan to switch from the 260 to 308 - less meat damage.

I may go back to 358, but I’m a tad hesitant because of the trajectory given I somethings shoot over 300.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a 308. Will likely never have one again. Dropped it. No interest because it's not better than several other cartridges in a SA. Why have it then? Better is better, even if it's better in an area I'd never utilize. It's not better in areas I do utilize either.

While I get clockwork's point - it's not that it's binary and the question isn't "I have NO rifle, which?" But "I have A rifle and it does happen to have advantages over the 308. Should I switch to 308?"

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never shot a Creed, dunno nuffin' about it.

The .308 is pretty good if belt fed. 6 barrels helps. It'll cut down big trees, eat a hole thru a bunker roof and plink monkeys running across the tree tops.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't have much use for pistols.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Teal
Had a 308. Will likely never have one again. Dropped it. No interest because it's not better than several other cartridges in a SA. Why have it then? Better is better, even if it's better in an area I'd never utilize. It's not better in areas I do utilize either.

While I get clockwork's point - it's not that it's binary and the question isn't "I have NO rifle, which?" But "I have A rifle and it does happen to have advantages over the 308. Should I switch to 308?"

Teal - the 6.5 definitely has advantages over 308. But the 308 also has a few and a lot could depend on the rifle itself. If you told me I could have a M70 FWT in 308 or a Savage Axis in 6.5, and I'm never going to shoot game past 250 yards anyway, I'm taking the Winchester faster than you can say 308. Or if you just wanted to use heavier bullets, 308 might be your ticket. In a specific area, ammo might be more available for one or the other, but online sales seem to make that a push.

I guess my point is the next new cartridge doesn't make every cartridge behind it obsolete, because most of what makes it better only applies to .0009% of the shooting population and makes zero real difference in real world hunting scenarios. Otherwise, why does anyone have a Creedmoor? The newer 6.5s have better ballistics.

Last edited by clockwork_7mm; 11/28/21.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In the current environment, I believe 5 boxes of ammo for your rifles is too low. My local LGS and Academy have bare shelves. periodically something shows up but not normally my desired caliber ay reasonable prices. That's 257 Weatherby,270 Weatherby,22-250 and 30-30. I think reasonable prices may have to be redefined also. Everything has gone up except my pension. I bought last year what In thought I would need in 257 and 270 and found some 22-250 last week @ 21 a box. Have seen no boxes of 30-30. Do not need it but would like to add to my stash.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys are endlessly looking for the perfect tool, but forget it's the craftsman that makes the tool, not the reverse - of course in this case the tool is the rifle/cartridge, the craftsman is the hunter/rifleman.

Q: "what's the best elk rifle/cartridge?"
A: "Whatever the best elk hunter/rifleman has in his hands."

I get it of course. The reason most of us are on this site is we're rifle nuts. Part of loonyism is debating over, and playing with a variety of platforms and cartridges. I guess the difference for me is I've never been under the illusion that I "needed" anything other than a 308 for my hunting, in spite of having dozens of rifles chambered in dozens of cartridges. Every cartridge is a compromise weighted in one direction or another, and there are all kinds of factors that enter the choice other than just "the numbers."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your points are well taken but in the favor of the 308 over others is inexpensive GI brass for the 308 and easier found 308 bullets. Of course that only counts with those of us who believe in having more than 2 boxes of ammo on the shelf ready to go. But you know you allways need to consider the source. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy [bleep]! shocked

I'm so old, I remember when you could get .308 SSTs for ~$22 bucks a box. smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by skeen
Holy [bleep]! shocked

I'm so old, I remember when you could get .308 SSTs for ~$22 bucks a box. smile

That was several variants ago 😇😂

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Your points are well taken but in the favor of the 308 over others is inexpensive GI brass for the 308 and easier found 308 bullets. Of course that only counts with those of us who believe in having more than 2 boxes of ammo on the shelf ready to go. But you know you allways need to consider the source. Mb

The other problem now is that guys are inevitably going to panic buy ammo in bulk before they know if it shoots worth a damn in their rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Clockwork people.have to take their own son of a bitch lessons you can't do it for them.. mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Clockwork people.have to take their own son of a bitch lessons you can't do it for them.. mb

We agree on something lol.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

What lessons are those? That internet posers are a dime a dozen?

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the 308 as a back up. Both the 6.5 and 308 will work on elk with proper bullets, And more importantly shot placement. Worse case scenario you get the dated 06 to shoot 180s for your dedicated elk rifle

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
More than one A hole at work was in need of ammo before season.
The guys that always "one up" on any topic.

Fuggem.

Wouldn't sell em anything.

However, if a decent guy or bud needed some in a pinch I'd just give it to them.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Oh, and I have only one .308 and no 6.5.
The advantage of .308 for me is wider choice of platform.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Switch barrel set up for me.

Factory 24" 308 barrel

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Carbonsix 26'' 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor barrel

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Teal

Teal - the 6.5 definitely has advantages over 308. But the 308 also has a few and a lot could depend on the rifle itself. If you told me I could have a M70 FWT in 308 or a Savage Axis in 6.5, and I'm never going to shoot game past 250 yards anyway, I'm taking the Winchester faster than you can say 308. Or if you just wanted to use heavier bullets, 308 might be your ticket. In a specific area, ammo might be more available for one or the other, but online sales seem to make that a push.

I guess my point is the next new cartridge doesn't make every cartridge behind it obsolete, because most of what makes it better only applies to .0009% of the shooting population and makes zero real difference in real world hunting scenarios. Otherwise, why does anyone have a Creedmoor? The newer 6.5s have better ballistics.

This is exactly where I am.

In the context of the 200-300 yards being the farthest I'd ever have to worry about, a 308 with a 130 gr bullet (TTSX) uses pretty much comparable powder charge weights, to shoot said bullet as fast or faster than the 6.5mm Creedmoor throws its 130 grain bullet.

One is a lot more efficient afterwards sure but what do I care? Nothing at all. Recoils the same, possibly even lighter depending on what rifle it is coming from.

And if I ever decide I want to go heavier over those same relatively short ranges, I can. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by Igloo; 11/28/21.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The only thing a 308 brings to the table is cheaper factory ammo. That's about it's only redeeming quality. The 243, 260, and 7-08 are all a better use of that case.

Better how exactly? I own all four and find nothing wrong with the 308. What can the other three do that a 200 grain partition going 2400 fps can't? My favorite of course is the 7-08.

How about provide plenty of deer killing power with a flatter trajectory and much less recoil?

The impetus for his change was elk hunting. Recoil? The 308 may bother some in long strings from a bench or prone but it really isn't a hard kicker. And that wonderful flatter trajectory comes into play around the time you need a rangefinder anyway. If you know your drop then hitting out to 500 yards isn't hard just as if you know your wind values the improved wind bucking abilities only come into play farther out than most will shoot at live animals.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,844
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.