Originally Posted by Teal
Had a 308. Will likely never have one again. Dropped it. No interest because it's not better than several other cartridges in a SA. Why have it then? Better is better, even if it's better in an area I'd never utilize. It's not better in areas I do utilize either.

While I get clockwork's point - it's not that it's binary and the question isn't "I have NO rifle, which?" But "I have A rifle and it does happen to have advantages over the 308. Should I switch to 308?"

Teal - the 6.5 definitely has advantages over 308. But the 308 also has a few and a lot could depend on the rifle itself. If you told me I could have a M70 FWT in 308 or a Savage Axis in 6.5, and I'm never going to shoot game past 250 yards anyway, I'm taking the Winchester faster than you can say 308. Or if you just wanted to use heavier bullets, 308 might be your ticket. In a specific area, ammo might be more available for one or the other, but online sales seem to make that a push.

I guess my point is the next new cartridge doesn't make every cartridge behind it obsolete, because most of what makes it better only applies to .0009% of the shooting population and makes zero real difference in real world hunting scenarios. Otherwise, why does anyone have a Creedmoor? The newer 6.5s have better ballistics.

Last edited by clockwork_7mm; 11/28/21.