Originally Posted by antero
I have a 6.5 creedmoor rifle that I've been using for deer and antelop hunting and hoping to make my all-around rifle. I'm hoping to draw an elk tag next year and use the same rifle for that as well. The only other centerfire bolt rifles I own are a 223 and a 243 that has a compact stock and is used by my wife. I like keeping my number of rifles relatively small and am not interested in getting many more.

Ammo availability has been a major issue lately for me, as it has been for most folks. I was fortunate enough to grab two boxes of ammo for deer season this year, which will last me a long time if I never practice with the thing.

Every time I go to Scheels or Cabelas I notice that there is usually a variety of 308 offerings. I know that this ammo shortage will eventually come to an end, but what about the next one, and the one after that? I suppose the answer could be to just hoard all the 6.5 CM ammo I can when it becomes affordable, but it seems like this shortage has shown the priorities of the ammo industry, and that priority is to manufacture lots of 308.

I'm considering selling the 6.5 and picking up a 308. The 308 would give me a little more recoil and a little less BC, but it would give me cheaper ammo and more trigger time.

Is there any real downside to going to the 308?

No guarantee that 308 will be available at all times, in 6 months you may see no 308 ammo and a lot of Creedmoor ammo. It's a gamble.

Keep your eyes on ammoseek.com and buy when suppliers have it in stock, not all are price gouging.

I guess my question is, Is there any upside to going 308?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!