Home
Which one & why??? Just looking for something to play with and fill gap between my 22-250 & 30-06. Looking for something all-purpose and enjoyable to shoot. Enlighten me please.
Do we get free refills on the POPCORN ??

grin grin grin

Jerry
All purpose would include cape buffalo and grizzlies. None of the above.

Now for multi-purpose, 243 all the way
Originally Posted by jwall

grin grin grin

Jerry

HaHa! I hear ya! It really is a dilemma of mine ... been putting it off for couple years now. I’m constantly back and forth about it.
I have a 243 win and a 7mm-08. Both are great cartridges. I'm leaning towards the 243 win lately. For deer hunting here in Mid-MO, it'll do anything I could ever ask of it with virtually non-existent recoil. I really like the 7-08, but unless I'm shooting at long distance or at something bigger than a Missouri whitetail buck, I'm taking my 243.
R B

I’m more of a NONconformist around here so I’ll just express my opinions.

First— Short Actions don’t trip my switch.

Second, to fill the gap between 22-250 -> -> 30-06, the NATURAL is 25-06. A few more grains of powder helps the powder co.s
and doesn’t bother me.

I’ve looked at your list of cartridges a few Xs and the 25-06 FILLS the gap best IMO.

Get seconds of the popcorn and enjoy the ride. grin

Jerry
Pick one and go with it. You can find just as many folks who love each one you mentioned, and just as many who hate them for what ever reason. My $.02 says the 7mm-08 fills the bill. You don't need a varmint rifle, so the 7mm-08 is the natural mid-range for your lineup.
I would personally throw the 25-06 out from the beginning. It shoots low BC bullets really fast. So does the .243, but the .243 can also shoot pretty high BC bullets reasonably fast. Same could be said for your 22-250, if you've got enough twist in your barrel for the 75's. So on that line, I'd probably throw out the .243 unless your 22-250 isn't legal for deer wherever you are located.

The 7-08 would be my next to throw out. It is really just a little 30-06. A 140 7mm bullet and a 165 .308 bullet are the same SD, and these two cartridges can push them to about the same velocities. I personally don't see what one of those two does that the other doesn't until you get to a 200 grain Partition on something that might eat you. If someone had a 7-08 and wasn't hunting bears, I'd conversely wonder what they were hoping to accomplish by adding a 30-06.

That leaves the 6.5's. The Creedmoor and the Swede are basically interchangeable. I've seen Quickload predictions that put them within less than 50 fps of each other. The Creedmoor is the obvious choice if you want a short action or the ability to get decent factory ammo. The Swede has the best buy on Lapua brass, and a 147 ELD at 3.150" pretty much puts the shank/boat tail junction of the bullet right at the shoulder/neck junction of the case while having more room for RL26. Either one can blast a 123-130 class bullet at close to or over 3,000 fps, which is the same ballistics as the .243 with 105's, while having the option to go higher in bullet weight/BC if one desired. On the other side, a 95 VMax or 100 BT, TTSX, or Partition should be capable of 3150-3300 fps.
I say go for the 25 06! Just because it sounds good right now, but they'll all fill the gap well.
Second on the choice of the 25-06 here. It really does bridge the difference quite well. The other cartridges on the list are either a bit "belly button" (243,6.5 CM) or '06-like to make for a fun late winter/early spring project.
6.5 Creed because it’s right in the middle.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...08-and-6-5-creed-as-a-general-purpose-hu
A fast twist 243 will do anything a 25-06 will do on big game. It shoots similar bullet weights (107 vs 110) about 150 fps slower. Or a bullet weight 10 gr lighter (107 vs 117) to about the same speed. At the muzzle the 25-06 has an advantage on paper, but at about the 250-300 yard mark the higher BC 243 bullets catch up. Your 22-250 is a better varmint rifle, your 30-06 the better big game rifle so I don't see a use for either 243 or 25-06.

The 7-08 is a ballistic twin to 308. At 500 yards with the best loads in each the 7-08 has just over 2" less drop and less than 50 ft lbs energy advantage with 1 ft lb less recoil. On paper the 7-08 has the edge. But not by much. I could live with a 7-08 or 308, but other than being in a lighter, more compact rifle you don't gain much over the 30-06 you have.

Either of the 6.5's will beat 25-06 on big game, does 95% of what 7-08 does and fills the gap perfectly between 22 and 30 caliber. With lighter bullets it could be used for varmints, but with 140 gr or heavier bullets it'll kill anything 270 or 7-08 will kill and do it with almost 1/2 the recoil you are getting from your 30-06. If you want to go long range target shooting the better high BC bullets will get you way out there. Of course a 243 could too.

If you want nostalgic, buy a 6.5X55

But from a practical standpoint there is a good reason the 6.5 Creedmoor has taken off. Lots of good, accurate, reasonably priced rifles out there and ammo is available. It comes close to 308, 30-06, 270, and 243 in availability and price. Much easier to find than 7-08 ammo and 6.5X55.
Happy Bday - Jordan S.

Jerry
The cartridge gap you are trying to fill begs for the 6.5 creed. The 25-06 runs a close second. Over the years here on the Campfire very little negative has been written on the 25-06 say as compared to the .270.
Find a rifle you really like chambered for any of those, or some others, and go for it. If you plan on shooting it a lot, maybe a .243, for all its virtues, might not be the best idea. A mid-range .25, 6.5, or 7mm might wear better.

I picked up a CZ 6.5 Grendel last year and it's a blast to shoot. Pretty light and handy, and light stuff is starting to look better to me these days. No recoil to speak of either. Plenty of power out to 300 or so for deer and such.
I don't like the 243.
Pick based on ammo/component cost/availability.

You said the goal is shooting enjoyment? Creede is your answer, ammo is available and reasonable. Components the same and growing. Recoil is light, barrel life is supposedly long.
Really, for shooting, it is an easy choice.

For myself, it would be Sweede

grin grin grinJerry

The movie is running AS PREDICTED. lol

Jerry
I can't see buying anything other than a 6.5 CM. Its got better available factory ammo and better ballistics than anything listed. Handloading just makes it better.

Doesn't even seem to really be a question any more.
Originally Posted by seven_miller
I would personally throw the 25-06 out from the beginning. It shoots low BC bullets really fast. So does the .243, but the .243 can also shoot pretty high BC bullets reasonably fast. Same could be said for your 22-250, if you've got enough twist in your barrel for the 75's. So on that line, I'd probably throw out the .243 unless your 22-250 isn't legal for deer wherever you are located.

The 7-08 would be my next to throw out. It is really just a little 30-06. A 140 7mm bullet and a 165 .308 bullet are the same SD, and these two cartridges can push them to about the same velocities. I personally don't see what one of those two does that the other doesn't until you get to a 200 grain Partition on something that might eat you. If someone had a 7-08 and wasn't hunting bears, I'd conversely wonder what they were hoping to accomplish by adding a 30-06.

That leaves the 6.5's. The Creedmoor and the Swede are basically interchangeable. I've seen Quickload predictions that put them within less than 50 fps of each other. The Creedmoor is the obvious choice if you want a short action or the ability to get decent factory ammo. The Swede has the best buy on Lapua brass, and a 147 ELD at 3.150" pretty much puts the shank/boat tail junction of the bullet right at the shoulder/neck junction of the case while having more room for RL26. Either one can blast a 123-130 class bullet at close to or over 3,000 fps, which is the same ballistics as the .243 with 105's, while having the option to go higher in bullet weight/BC if one desired. On the other side, a 95 VMax or 100 BT, TTSX, or Partition should be capable of 3150-3300 fps.

Not much that needs to be added to this, my thoughts exactly. I will say I've had my last 6.5x55, it's a good chambering, but doesn't do anything that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't with better rifle, ammo, component and full power load data availability. The easy button for this question is a Creedmoor in whatever flavor you prefer, a couple lbs of RL16, and some bullets matching your specific needs. I've been shooting Hornady brass in my 6.5s for a while, but with the good reports going around about Starline and Peterson, I'll have to upgrade my next batch and give them a try.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Find a rifle you really like chambered for any of those, or some others, and go for it. If you plan on shooting it a lot, maybe a .243, for all its virtues, might not be the best idea. A mid-range .25, 6.5, or 7mm might wear better.

It really does come down to what rifle fits and feels the best. Any of those cartridges willl fill the gap (What do any of them do that a 30-06 can't? If you just want to shoot 110gr. bullets, shoot 30 cal. 110 grain bullets).

That is unless there is a new rifle in a new chambering that you just have to have. And it's a 6.5x55. grin
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

Not much that needs to be added to this, my thoughts exactly. I will say I've had my last 6.5x55, it's a good chambering, but doesn't do anything that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't with better rifle, ammo, component and full power load data availability. The easy button for this question is a Creedmoor in whatever flavor you prefer, a couple lbs of RL16, and some bullets matching your specific needs. I've been shooting Hornady brass in my 6.5s for a while, but with the good reports going around about Starline and Peterson, I'll have to upgrade my next batch and give them a try.

Pretty much it. The only Swede I'd touch is a Tikka and that would be if I handloaded or had an ass pile of factory 123 Scenars laying around. And got the deal of the century on it. It's still second seat to 6.5 CM.
There is no "gap" between 22-250 and 30-06.

So buy whatever you think you want.
25-06
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

.... you just saved me a bunch of time & money.
Can't see much that you don't already have covered with the 22-250 & 30/06. That just leaves style points, doesn't get much classier than one that has been getting it done since the 19th century, so 6.5x55.

I have to agree ! Those 2 rounds will cover Mice --> --> Alaskan Browns, ask 458 Win.

Jerry
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

Pretty much it. The only Swede I'd touch is a Tikka and that would be if I handloaded or had an ass pile of factory 123 Scenars laying around. And got the deal of the century on it. It's still second seat to 6.5 CM.

I've wanted one of those Tikkas for a long time. But I have too many rifles that it would overlap with and never can justify it. Maybe I need to follow your lead and do a semi-purge...

"That leaves the 6.5's. The Creedmoor and the Swede are basically interchangeable." > quote - seven__miller

....The only Swede I'd touch is a Tikka and that would be if I handloaded or had an ass pile of factory 123 Scenars laying around. And got the deal of the century on it. It's still second seat to 6.5 CM.

I can tell you from Ownership Experience that a Win 70 does extremely well in 6.5X55. Now it's NOT a S A tho.

Using MODERN firearms and MODERN loading the Swede will be ahead of the Creed.... but not enuff to make a diff.
16 - you are right about Factory Ammo.

Jerry

ps: I 'think' I got the quotes right ? ?
If you just did simple math you'd end up at something in .26 caliber.

Which ain't a bad place to end up.
I'd pick the Creed or the Swede because 140's at 26 to 2700 fps should have less muzzle blast than the rest, and they don't need a long barrel.

The Creed is probably a better choice as a secondary medium game gun because of the stadardized chamber and brass dimensions, inexpensive and high quality ammo, and more efficient and shorter case design making better use of and giving a longer bore in any barrel length.
But the Swede is knda cooler and it's larger case offers potential for higher velocity.

I wouldn't rule out the 243, 30-30, or 357.
Or 7-08 if I found a really good deal on a rifle I really liked.
I have had a .25-06 (RU77 V), which I never should have sold (Fiddleback grain, end to end, MOA out of box with reloads - not with factory). Wonderful caribou (open plains) gun.

I currently have a Rem 725 SA .260 - originally .244. Also a very nice MOA shooter. With not inconsiderable work to make it that way.

I also have a Rem 700 in .243- also with considerable work to make it MOA.

I'd go with the 6.5 Creed in your place.
Of those you mentioned, the best one for killing stuff is the 7-08. But the difference is negligible. For, me the 7-08 and the 6.5 Creed would be the only two of those mentioned that I would consider. Though, I have and like a 6.5x55.
I have a .243 and 7mm-08 among several other calibers. The 'tweener for me is my .260 Remington which has become my favorite big game caliber. Flatter shooting and milder recoil than the 7mm-08 and more umph than the .243 with similar recoil. All three are based off the .308 case so little or no problem finding/making brass. It's hard not to like any of the 6.5 calibers and most can be loaded with a wide range of bullets for varmints/predators to big game. And they're not lacking on the target range. So...of your listed calibers...I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor.

laugh laugh

If looking for one to play with and shoot a bunch, I'd probably buy the 6.5 Creedmoor.
It'll save some tube on the 22-250 and you can save on some recoil from the 30.06. At least that's how I'd justify it to myself anyway. whistle
Or a .223
It’s looking like the 6.5s are favored, but that comes to me by no surprise. Doubt any are really a bad choice? I think I could be happy with any of them. I am favoring the Creed though. I just need to find an offering from a manufacturer now that I like, and go with it. I want to get this right because I honestly don’t see too many more being added to my stable in the future. I will have majority of my needs/wants covered with the addition of this one.
What platforms are you running now?

Do you want this new rifle for lightweight mountains, heavier for stand hunting, heavy for ringing steel, truck gun, high-volume trainer?
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

.... you just saved me a bunch of time & money.

Oh ! OKay.

What Happened to THAT ? whistle
grin grin

Jerry
260 or 7-08 AI
What platforms are you running now?

Do you want this new rifle for lightweight mountains, heavier for stand hunting, heavy for ringing steel, truck gun, high-volume trainer?

I’d want a mid weight rifle with a medium weight/length barrel. Best of both worlds I suppose, in theory.
.266 is smack dab in the middle of .224 and .308, so there you have it. Creed, x55, or 6.5-06. Find a rifle you like in any of those and go forth and have your gap filled.

I seriously want nothing to do with a 243 or 25-06. My 22-250 will do anything a 243 will do, and for some reason I have no desire for 25 anything.

My gap between a 22-250 and 300 H&H is filled with a 6.5 Creed, a pile of 270's and a few 7-08's. laugh
It’s looking like the 6.5s are favored, but that comes to me by no surprise. Doubt any are really a bad choice? I think I could be happy with any of them. I am favoring the Creed though. I just need to find an offering from a manufacturer now that I like, and go with it. I want to get this right because I honestly don’t see too many more being added to my stable in the future. I will have majority of my needs/wants covered with the addition of this one.

Blasphemy! 3 rifles? Wants and needs? That’s crazy talk !
No doubt, .2506!!!!
In the bunch you listed, I’d definitely go 6.5 CM. Good factory ammo is available and you have a huge selection of high BC bullets available if you want to start playing at long range. Works well in a short action even with high BC bullets. If the 25/06 is a consideration, then consider the 6.5/06 too. There is NOTHING a 25/06 will do that a 6.5/06 won’t do better. Same with the 6.5x55.

I would rule out a 7mm/08 because reaching the lands is problematic with high BC bullets in a short action magazine. Would substitute 6mm Creedmoor for .243. Same ballistics but CM works better in a short action.

John
I think I'll just stick with my 25s and their "terrible" BCs. For the way I (and I suspect most others) hunt, a super BC doesn't matter. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
In the bunch you listed, I’d definitely go 6.5 CM. Good factory ammo is available and you have a huge selection of high BC bullets available if you want to start playing at long range. Works well in a short action even with high BC bullets. If the 25/06 is a consideration, then consider the 6.5/06 too. There is NOTHING a 25/06 will do that a 6.5/06 won’t do better. Same with the 6.5x55.

I would rule out a 7mm/08 because reaching the lands is problematic with high BC bullets in a short action magazine. Would substitute 6mm Creedmoor for .243. Same ballistics but CM works better in a short action.

John

Lots of good logic in your response. Thanks!
7-08 gets my vote. Readily available weights from 100-175 grains.
There's really not a bit of difference between them for hunting most NA game. I'd avoid the Creedmoor unless you want to be like every other skinny jean wearing, Bin Laden bearded millennial.
laugh laugh laugh

We all gots to have our identity ! whistle

Jerry
Originally Posted by southtexas
I think I'll just stick with my 25s and their "terrible" BCs. For the way I (and I suspect most others) hunt, a super BC doesn't matter. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

That is kind of how I feel about 270's. smile
All around = 243
“There is NOTHING a 25/06 will do that a 6.5/06 won’t do better“

When I read statements like this, i wonder what “better” means.

Could mean available at Walmart, but I think it boils down to least amount of drift. And if you don't shoot that far anyway, none of it matters.

But I like buying anmo at Walmart.
For a tote around short action hunting rifle with big punch the 7-08 is hard to beat. 7mm bullets abound for all kinds of interesting field work. 243 Win needs no defending, but the 7-08 offers more versatility in the field and gives you a nice fit between the other two cartridges you mentioned.
I'm a big fan of the .25-06 but if you want to shoot a lot and punch paper as well as hunt then the 6.5 Creedmoor becomes almost a no-brainer. There really isn't anything not to like about it, other than just being resistant to it for the sake of being resistant. :-)

It'll handle 100-147 grain bullets with aplomb and those 140+ have some seriously good BCs for saying hello in the next zip code. Unlike the 25 cal, there are tons of great target and hunting bullets in 6.5 and there is so much variety of factory ammo for the Creedmoor that I am almost certain you could find a few factory loads that will do everything you need on the bench or in the field and that will be super-accurate in whatever rifle you end up with.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also available in many factory rifles from the most inexpensive to the most iconic. Heck, with Winchester alone you can get one in the inexpensive (but accurate!) XPR, the durable Extreme Weather, the hybrid Coyote Light, the super-classy and hunter-friendly Featherweight (blued or stainless) and the iconic Super Grade. There's gotta be something you like in that group, right?
something all purpose and enjoyable to shoot.....and i have had them all
25-06 or the 6.5

easily obtained ammunition for around 20.00 dollars per box if you dont handload
if you handload the creed will take less powder if not that is ok.....both will shoot bullets in the 100-120 grain weight so not much recoil
both will handle most north american game well and you have your 30-06 to fall back on
a lot of people talk about bullet drop but if your into that game its just a matter of turning a dial so i dont really see the big issue there
both can be had in rifles from $300.00 up to your hearts content....
my 2 cents worth....opinions will differ
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I'm a big fan of the .25-06 but if you want to shoot a lot and punch paper as well as hunt then the 6.5 Creedmoor becomes almost a no-brainer. There really isn't anything not to like about it, other than just being resistant to it for the sake of being resistant. :-)

It'll handle 100-147 grain bullets with aplomb and those 140+ have some seriously good BCs for saying hello in the next zip code. Unlike the 25 cal, there are tons of great target and hunting bullets in 6.5 and there is so much variety of factory ammo for the Creedmoor that I am almost certain you could find a few factory loads that will do everything you need on the bench or in the field and that will be super-accurate in whatever rifle you end up with.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also available in many factory rifles from the most inexpensive to the most iconic. Heck, with Winchester alone you can get one in the inexpensive (but accurate!) XPR, the durable Extreme Weather, the hybrid Coyote Light, the super-classy and hunter-friendly Featherweight (blued or stainless) and the iconic Super Grade. There's gotta be something you like in that group, right?

Where are you seeing the stainless featherweight?
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

Where are you seeing the stainless featherweight?

I may have misunderstood this video: https://youtu.be/YqpegeCnzYU

I hope not, because the SS Featherweight in 6.5 Creedmoor will be my next rifle.
RAR 6.5 CM & SWFA, shoot the snot out of it. Save the brass and sell it to fund the replacement.
6.5x55 is a lot more classier than the gay creed!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd avoid the Creedmoor unless you want to be like every other skinny jean wearing, Bin Laden bearded millennial.

From P 5

REDUX

Jerry
Just a matter of time Jer.....you'll get the fever.
I really doubt it.

**** > > .. As you see them the 7 weighs >> 3 oz more than the 270 **
The 7s recoil pad is thicker and the bll. is @ 2" longer.

I have changed my attitude about the Creed but I still am NOT interested. I have a Win 70 6.5X55 so I don't see anything to gain.
S A don't appeal to me, so....

Jerry
just picked up a Winchester model 70 classic in 6.5x55 swede, don't need creed of any kind, a classic always a classic, the creed will go just like the wsm and saum

All other things equal, for any given bullet weight, the 6.5/06 will shoot it faster. It ain’t much more but it’s there. Additionally, if you want to do the long range thing, high BC bullets are abundant in 6.5mm. Not so much in .257. It ain’t the case, it’s the available bullets that make the 6.5/06 better.

The 25/06 does have the factory ammo advantage.

John
The way I see it with the 6.5CM is that off the rack, it accomplishes a lot of schit I tried to do handloading for a 260 and 7-08.
so does the 270 win, plus you can get ammo for the 270 at wallmart
The way I see it with the 6.5CM is that off the rack, it accomplishes a lot of schit I tried to do handloading for a 260 and 7-08.

Originally Posted by mooshoo
so does the 270 win, plus you can get ammo for the 270 at wallmart

^^^^^ This. ^^^^^

And you can get 6.5 Creedmoor ammo at WalMart and just about anywhere else, just like the .270 Win. You're not going to do that with the .260 Rem, 6.5x55, 7-08 or, sadly, the .25-06.

As far as the Creedmoor going the way of the SAUM or WSM, the WSM is doing OK, actually. The .300 and .270 WSM versions do quite well and are offered in a ton of factory rifles with good component and factory ammo supply. The SAUM is basically dead in the water with no current factory rifles offered in the only two commercial versions, the 7mm SAUM or 300 SAUM. But the Creedmoor isn't going anywhere. In North America, it currently outsells all the WSMs and SAUMs and 6.5x55s combined. In fact, some custom rifle makers are building more 6.5 Creedmoor rifles than all other cartridges (that includes the Big Five) combined. Ammo companies have gotten on board, as well.

It's here to stay, and has probably already taken its place alongside the Big Five, meaning we now have a Big Six: .243 Win, .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, .308 Win, .30-06 and .... 6.5 Creedmoor.

Originally Posted by Hondo64d

All other things equal, for any given bullet weight, the 6.5/06 will shoot it faster. It ain’t much more but it’s there. Additionally, if you want to do the long range thing, high BC bullets are abundant in 6.5mm. Not so much in .257. It ain’t the case, it’s the available bullets that make the 6.5/06 better.

The 25/06 does have the factory ammo advantage.

John

Yes, I'm aware of the fabulous BCs available in 6.5. And the marginal difference in MV is not significant in the field. For the way I (and most others) hunt, one could use either cartridge for the rest of their lives and never be able to detect a difference.

But more to the point, if the statement was " the 6.5/06 has some capabilities that the 25/06 lacks, I would concur. But to say there is NOTHING the 25 can do that the 6.5 won't do "Better"...BS, No hog or deer within 400 yards would know the diff.
.25/06

I thought the Creed was metrosexual.... but what do I know. I am a huge 270 fan, so it must be natural to be a creed fan also? confused
25-06 had one for years. I have a lot of the other calibers. Current carry gun well for the last 15 years is the 25-06 it shots well and is lite on recoil and shoot MOA out of the box. I would go with the 25-06 and never look back but that's me. I have to agree with others there are small trade offs among in the end it is what satisfies you and will work for the type of hunting that you do.
Hard to beat a good Swede. That’s the way I would go.
Originally Posted by CRS

I thought the Creed was metrosexual.... but what do I know. I am a huge 270 fan, so it must be natural to be a creed fan also? confused

That is way cool of explaining this, creed metrosexual!
. ...the creed will go just like the wsm and saum

I doubt that.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the creed has already outsold all the saums.
25-06
Tough call as I like all of the above choices. If you average .308 and .224 you get .266 so the swede it is unless you just had to have a Creedmoor. With 75 to 160 grain bullets the 6.5s are squarely in the middle but with out a redundant level of overlap of your other rifles. This season deer hunted with the Swede and next year it will be the 25-06 and a 6AI. Usually with a .243 along for the ride.
I think that if some one would neck down the 308 case to 270 and ask for some 1in8 barrels, the bullet maker's would start building some 160gr to 180gr bullet that would be the new cats meow, or is that a 270 titus?
I think that if some one would neck down the 308 case to 270 and ask for some 1in8 barrels, the bullet maker's would start building some 160gr to 180gr bullet that would be the new cats meow, or is that a 270 titus?

I’d think the neck might be a bit short (like the .260 and 7-08) to seat such long bullets in standard magazines without compressing a whole bunch of powder.

In all honesty, you’d be better off starting with a Creedmoor or PRC or SAUM case. A sleek 165 or 170 in a properly twisted .277 barrel with enough juice behind it to get it to 2900 fps, or so would be the cat’s azz.

Hey Hornady! How about a 27 PRC specd at 8” twist along with a factory loaded 169 grain ELD-X? Maybe you could get Barnes on board to make a 145 grain LRX? And Nosler a 162 grain ABLR?
what is this prc case? and would a long throat and a long action work on the308 case?
what is this prc case? and would a long throat and a long action work on the308 case?

The 6.5 PRC. The Creedmoor’s big brother.

If you did all that you’d be defeating the purpose of using the .308 case in the first place, which is to take advantage of the short action. You’d be better off at that point trying to standardize a .270 AI of sorts.

If there were a hypothetical .277 cartridge based on the PRC, that hypothetical 169 ELD-X should come in with a BC around 0.675 and could probably get launched close to 2900.

The 162 ABLR should have a BC around 0.6 - 0.61 and make 2950.

The 145 LRX would be a reliably expanding monometal bullet that should provide consistent, bone-breaking, complete pass-through performance with a BC right at 0.5 - 0.51 and should be able to get cranking out at 3050 rather easily. With this bullet expanding properly down to 1800, it would make an awesome killer of elk, moose, deer, whatever out to all reasonable ranges.

I am selling myself on something that basically already exists in the .270 WSM but those were never twisted right. I’ve always felt the maximum recoil threshold lies with the “standard” 7mm mags like the Rem, Roy and WSM. A .277 cartridge with slightly less capacity but equally high BCs would be even easier to shoot well and would perform exactly the same on game. I’d shoot the hell out of this hypothetical new cartridge and its new, well-designed rifles.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
. ...the creed will go just like the wsm and saum

I doubt that.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the creed has already outsold all the saums.

Wouldn't bet against it...

DF
I still can’t understand or come to terms with why there seems to be so much Love~vs~Hate towards the Creedmoor? Don’t care for the drama of it all.

.... almost makes me want to go with the Swede
Being a big 270 fan, I have seriously looked at a 270 based SA cartridge.

Was really close on a 270-08 once, but it just does not make sense when the Creedmoor/7mm-08 is already established.

If I was serious about a LR 270, I would do a WSM with 1:8 or 1:9 twist.
I still can’t understand or come to terms with why there seems to be so much Love~vs~Hate towards the Creedmoor? Don’t care for the drama of it all.

I believe the haters suffer what's known as "Creedmoor fatigue".
Heck, I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm tired of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmoor. laugh

.... almost makes me want to go with the Swede

The hate comes from the fact that the Creedmoor pretty much turns everything that has been taught about hunting ballistics for the last 100 years right on its head. It belies almost everyone’s prejudices and biases, regardless of which side of the spectrum they’re on.

The love comes from precisely the same thing, the only difference being that it comes from people willing to accept the above.

I don’t believe either viewpoint is right or wrong. It’s just up to the individual and his or her ability to deal with technology and progress. All the cartridges kill pretty much the same, and that hasn’t changed.
I hate the Creedmore as that it has made it difficult at times for me to find bullets for my 6.5x55 and it has made getting H4350 damned near impossible.
It is never not fascinating and HILARIOUS,at how many who "think" they "shoot" and "know" what they are talking about,sooooooooo brazenly "flaunt" their sheer and utter STUPIDITY. Congratulations?!?

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and nary a soul has an inkling. Funny schit!

The Kreedmire(s),simply arrange that which matters most and that is an innate ability to squirt the BEST boolits available,in their bore sizing. That due simply to the mechanics of case design,which optimizes the vessel's form/capacity,while reducing case length,which just "happens" to bolster COAL latitude. Couple same with an RPM to do it all and there is nothing to wish for. Doubly so,that THE best brass in da' bidness,just "happen" to be available to it too. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

For me personally,the 147 ELD sweetened the pot to rate the nudge,because it is more slippery than a .284" 162 'Max/ELD,which I may have shot a "smidge". Boogers have never been my jam,as thy are too Zooky for my tastes. Sugars are a crapshoot fhuqkshow and unpredictable at best. Skinners have long been stalwart,but cain't begin to approach Hornady ELD magnitude,upon any level. Hint. A 147 ELD Kreedmire Smooch ala Alpha brass,'17 and MQ reticle,will crush alotta schit that Window Lickers are enthralled with. Tough not to love a Barrett and/or AICS DBM there. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In 6mm,the Kreedmire is just as welcomed,because the Big Brother's constants still apply. You get 243Win case capacity,in a better wrapper. If only because 6mm projectiles are of less length than a 6.5mm...many things align to arrange an OEM magbox Smooch of a 108 ELD or the ilk. Though in fairness,I gun 'em in bindered AICS DBM's too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A few 6mm bore rifles to extrapolate,on a typical R&D Jaunt. It'll come as a "surprise",that not all wares is "equal",nor "close". Hint.

[Linked Image]

Imagination and Pretend are never not hilarious and I very much enjoy folks doing their absolute BEST,in trying to talk about the things they "know" the LEAST about. Hint.

Bless their hearts.

I saw a 25-06 once.

Shaking my head.

Laughing!..............................

(Oopsie!..'wall is gonna use her Imagination and Pretend,to "declare" she didn't read EVERY fhuqking word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel!) LAUGHING!

'wall,

Ain't it a hoot,that besides being a CLUELESS Kchunt,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot?!? Don't "forget"...that you "aren't reading this" either. LAUGHING!

You Do Nothing Dumbfhuqks are a RIOT.

Bless your heart.

Just saying.

Wow +P++!

Laughing!............................
Wasted Space

I also don't WASTE my time.

Jerry
Originally Posted by SKane

I believe the haters suffer what's known as "Creedmoor fatigue".
Heck, I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm tired of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmoor. laugh

B I N G O ! ! !

That perfectly describes me. It could NOT be said any better.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It is never not fascinating and HILARIOUS,at how many who "think" they "shoot" and "know" what they are talking about,sooooooooo brazenly "flaunt" their sheer and utter STUPIDITY. Congratulations?!?

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and nary a soul has an inkling. Funny schit!

The Kreedmire(s),simply arrange that which matters most and that is an innate ability to squirt the BEST boolits available,in their bore sizing. That due simply to the mechanics of case design,which optimizes the vessel's form/capacity,while reducing case length,which just "happens" to bolster COAL latitude. Couple same with an RPM to do it all and there is nothing to wish for. Doubly so,that THE best brass in da' bidness,just "happen" to be available to it too. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

For me personally,the 147 ELD sweetened the pot to rate the nudge,because it is more slippery than a .284" 162 'Max/ELD,which I may have shot a "smidge". Boogers have never been my jam,as thy are too Zooky for my tastes. Sugars are a crapshoot fhuqkshow and unpredictable at best. Skinners have long been stalwart,but cain't begin to approach Hornady ELD magnitude,upon any level. Hint. A 147 ELD Kreedmire Smooch ala Alpha brass,'17 and MQ reticle,will crush alotta schit that Window Lickers are enthralled with. Tough not to love a Barrett and/or AICS DBM there. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In 6mm,the Kreedmire is just as welcomed,because the Big Brother's constants still apply. You get 243Win case capacity,in a better wrapper. If only because 6mm projectiles are of less length than a 6.5mm...many things align to arrange an OEM magbox Smooch of a 108 ELD or the ilk. Though in fairness,I gun 'em in bindered AICS DBM's too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A few 6mm bore rifles to extrapolate,on a typical R&D Jaunt. It'll come as a "surprise",that not all wares is "equal",nor "close". Hint.

[Linked Image]

Imagination and Pretend are never not hilarious and I very much enjoy folks doing their absolute BEST,in trying to talk about the things they "know" the LEAST about. Hint.

Bless their hearts.

I saw a 25-06 once.

Shaking my head.

(Oopsie!..'wall is gonna use her Imagination and Pretend,to "declare" she didn't read EVERY fhuqking word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel!) LAUGHING!

'wall,

Ain't it a hoot,that besides being a CLUELESS Kchunt,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot?!? Don't "forget"...that you "aren't reading this" either. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart.

Just saying.

Wow +P++!

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/923/1M5QLH.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/923/vpAQBC.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/923/jg2ZT4.jpg[/img]

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/922/Y2dcd7.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/924/yY9uNv.jpg[/img]

[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/922/tlK7CP.jpg[/img]

Bless their hearts.

I saw a 25-06 once.

Shaking my head.

'wall,

Bless your heart.

Just saying.

Wow +P++!

well look who showed up mister big troll big d%$# ! well did the real shooter kick you off their forum cause they can't stand your gas!! hey I know why don't you show us some more of your pic's always funny!!
I think I'm going to change your name to big turd!!!!!
Oh by the way big turd you may go now!!!

sorry guy's I didn't mean to stoop to his level I apologize for this! outburst!
moo

No apology necessary. I simply quit reading his ‘drivel’, ‘tripe’, and diarrhea.

If we don’t feed the TROL he won’t hang around.

Jerry
Well said J,, if I see his posts I just move on...
moo

No apology necessary. I simply quit reading his ‘drivel’, ‘tripe’, and diarrhea.

If we don’t feed the TROL he won’t hang around.

Jerry

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Well said J,, if I see his posts I just move on...

thanks guy's I've got alot to learn! thanks for helping me!
seems like 'sticks 'truth' sorta ruffled mooshoo's downy little feathers and twisted his little 'feelers'.
Mooshoo has quite a hangover...
I'm late to the party but these questions always stump me. Cause I want all of them, already have a bunch of them. But notably one of the best choices was not even in the original post. The 257 Bob.
Originally Posted by Galaxieman
I'm late to the party but these questions always stump me. Cause I want all of them, already have a bunch of them. But notably one of the best choices was not even in the original post. The 257 Bob.

I also think of the 264 win mag occasionally but it just seems like the ones I listed in my original post make the most sense in one way or another. 257 bob never really comes to my mind. Why??? Not sure.
Everybody that wears pleated jeans please raise your hands ....mooshoo, jwall....
I still think one of each is about right. Better though if one gets two of each so he'll have a backup.
6 Creed
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Everybody that wears pleated jeans please raise your hands ....mooshoo, jwall....

You must be a legend in your 1/4" mind.

Jerry
Velcro shoes too huh?
It never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS,when The Paper Hat Brigade does their BEST,as they feverishly devour my every word and pixel...the "lucky" kchunts. I'm enjoying the copious Imagination and Pretend,which "fuels" the Imaginary Pretend Ignore,of THE Dumbest Of Fhuqks. Congratulations?!?

Just curious here a smidge,as to what the "usual" threshold is,for CLUELESS Dumb Fhuqks to corroborate that they are Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit too? Seems to be their very next Post,as they "confide" that they "scroll past". Laughing!

Anywhoo...slow day here,unwrapping Mail and sortin' thangs out. I hear tell that a 317 wearing adjustable rears(if only to horn The Paper Hat Brigade up),prolly don't suck. Halfa 'Lites's mass is fairly fhuqking impressive and just might be "handy". Hint.

[Linked Image]

Fairly certain,the premise is sound.

[Linked Image]

Guts was/are Skookum,though Springer Grease don't never hurt. Google it. laughing!

[Linked Image]

I hope none this sunshine,will rob any of it's splendor. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Time to Google Direct Impingement Rimfire Roller Lockers,as you CLUELESS Kchunts try to "convince" yourselves,that you are not reading this. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Oooopsie!...I forgot to buy mags.

[Linked Image]

In fairness,I VERY much enjoyed The Quarterbore Bob Notion,if only because that schit was fhuqking FUNNY!

Here's to the perpetual hilarity,of you gals doing your best.

PS and by the way,I hear good thangs about the 6 and 6.5 Kreedmires. Just saying and pardon my having it all.

Bless your hearts.

Wow+P++!

Laughing!...............
bs,this here is a javelina.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7x57 and the javelinas tusks.
[Linked Image]
Same rifle,but the day before.

So you don't have to google,that is a jackrabbit.
[Linked Image]
One more....
[Linked Image]

Top is a Winchester M 101 12 gauge.

Bottom is a Sako .222 Rem and a Leupold 3x9.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Same rifle,but the day before.

So you don't have to google,that is a jackrabbit.
[Linked Image]

love that rifle and the caliber and shooting jacks!
Thanks. smile
Originally Posted by huntsman22
seems like 'sticks 'truth' sorta ruffled mooshoo's downy little feathers and twisted his little 'feelers'.

grin
Thats a nice Javelina and a whopper of a jackrabbit! Did you cut one of the jackrabbits ears off short to fit in your wallet fer luck. Been carrying two for 30 years, an Arizona Jack and a winter phase Wyoming Jack ear. Probably why I've never been shot off a bar stool. Wonder what Stick carries for luck?
He's short enough to hide behind the stool
It never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS,when The Paper Hat Brigade does their BEST,as they feverishly devour my every word and pixel...the "lucky" kchunts. I'm enjoying the copious Imagination and Pretend,which "fuels" the Imaginary Pretend Ignore,of THE Dumbest Of Fhuqks. Congratulations?!?

Just curious here a smidge,as to what the "usual" threshold is,for CLUELESS Dumb Fhuqks to corroborate that they are Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit too? Seems to be their very next Post,as they "confide" that they "scroll past". Laughing!

Anywhoo...slow day here,unwrapping Mail and sortin' thangs out. I hear tell that a 317 wearing adjustable rears(if only to horn The Paper Hat Brigade up),prolly don't suck. Halfa 'Lites's mass is fairly fhuqking impressive and just might be "handy". Hint.

[Linked Image]

Fairly certain,the premise is sound.

[Linked Image]

Guts was/are Skookum,though Springer Grease don't never hurt. Google it. laughing!

[Linked Image]

I hope none this sunshine,will rob any of it's splendor. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Time to Google Direct Impingement Rimfire Roller Lockers,as you CLUELESS Kchunts try to "convince" yourselves,that you are not reading this. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Oooopsie!...I forgot to buy mags.

[Linked Image]

In fairness,I VERY much enjoyed The Quarterbore Bob Notion,if only because that schit was fhuqking FUNNY!

Here's to the perpetual hilarity,of you gals doing your best.

PS and by the way,I hear good thangs about the 6 and 6.5 Kreedmires. Just saying and pardon my having it all.

Bless your hearts.

Wow+P++!

Laughing!...............

Bitch lips, any aforementioned chambering will work quite handily if a guy “hunts”....... hint

Kreedmire, you poor dumb bastard...... inbred stupid fuuck.... carry on
257 Roberts but there really is no gap between a 30-06 and a 22-250.
Had a 7mm-08. Nothing real impressive but it worked and I think I actually preferred it over the 308. The 243 is a good round up to and including deer, most people probably have some sorta experience with the round but I doubt too many are overly impressed, maybe have some sort of sentimental attachment to the round (nothing wrong with that at all). I’ve usually seen those 2 for around $28-30 a box.

25-06 would be my choice for sure- maybe just because of my bias towards the 270. Plus I see it’s ammo listed $21-25 most of the time. But really what good is it unless you just want an excuse to buy another rifle? 22-250 is good from prairie dogs up to deer. The 30-06 is good for deer up through bears and the big deer species.
Slow day. Newest 8x57(S) 98K arrived and the Walnut's figure,is better than the seller described. Always nice to be suplized,in sucha fashion. Fortunately,only (1) of the timed screws was askew.

[Linked Image]

Nothing a leetle loving file work,couldn't remedy.

[Linked Image]

A .690 BC would barely kiss and nestle the '98 mag's confines. While certainly not as "racy" as a 257 Bob,it can be pressed into yeoman's service,due the (modest) increase in SD.

[Linked Image]

My Swede was doing nice thangs,in it's fresh batcha' Prvi hulls. '96's are just simply much more lithe/svelte in the mitts and the increase in sight radius,sure is welcome at the range. I've long been a fan of how Swede stripper clips,nestle a front pocket with minimal intrusion.

[Linked Image]

The BRNO Model 2 arrived as well. Their workmanship is without peer and the blued/walnut heart warming.

[Linked Image]

Given weather conditions,it is suplizing this much Mail arrived.

[Linked Image]

Be a bummer if I get GAP Glassed in tomorrow's Mail. Always a treat,to be regaled with the 'knowledge","experience" and "results" of the blessed few here,who get to "shoot" and wax eloquent upon their "hard charging" ways. You gals REALLY "get after it" and "know" your stuff!

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!..................
For factory ammo the better question may be “which Creed?”

I Do reflect on the SS M70 Fwt and K1-A I sold - nice figured walnut. Both Swedes.

For most a simple 223, 243, 270 or 308 would do.

For Loonies choose your poison.

Hunters - Align your POA/POI with Vitals and have a sharp knife ready.
All else is moot when that’s done.

Always had a hankering for a 257/3K or AI version.

Yet the one 25-06 I had was sold. Accurate. Soft recoil. 1-B in nice walnut. Just rather a 6 or 6.5mm
Sold my 25-06, my 6.5 and my 7mm-08.

Kept my .243 for all around gun, for biigger game I have a 30-06 and even bigger game would be my 25 Whelen.
6.5x55 because it’s cool.
Which one & why??? Just looking for something to play with and fill gap between my 22-250 & 30-06. Looking for something all-purpose and enjoyable to shoot. Enlighten me please.

When my bolt rifles consisted only of a .22-250 and 7mm RM, my intent was to fill the 'gap' with a .25-06. Happily, and serendipitously, I ended up with a .257 Roberts instead. It quickly became my favorite rifle. That was 14 years ago and it is still my favorite. Nine years ago I decided to build a "long range" rifle and went with 6.5-06AI. My daughters love to shoot it because with the heavy barrel it is pretty low recoil. These days I also have a .243 Win, and .280 Rem filling the 'gap'.

These days I would start with a 6.5 CM to fill the 'gap'.
© 24hourcampfire