Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What platforms are you running now?

Do you want this new rifle for lightweight mountains, heavier for stand hunting, heavy for ringing steel, truck gun, high-volume trainer?

I’d want a mid weight rifle with a medium weight/length barrel. Best of both worlds I suppose, in theory.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.266 is smack dab in the middle of .224 and .308, so there you have it. Creed, x55, or 6.5-06. Find a rifle you like in any of those and go forth and have your gap filled.

I seriously want nothing to do with a 243 or 25-06. My 22-250 will do anything a 243 will do, and for some reason I have no desire for 25 anything.

My gap between a 22-250 and 300 H&H is filled with a 6.5 Creed, a pile of 270's and a few 7-08's. laugh

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
It’s looking like the 6.5s are favored, but that comes to me by no surprise. Doubt any are really a bad choice? I think I could be happy with any of them. I am favoring the Creed though. I just need to find an offering from a manufacturer now that I like, and go with it. I want to get this right because I honestly don’t see too many more being added to my stable in the future. I will have majority of my needs/wants covered with the addition of this one.

Blasphemy! 3 rifles? Wants and needs? That’s crazy talk !

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
No doubt, .2506!!!!

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
In the bunch you listed, I’d definitely go 6.5 CM. Good factory ammo is available and you have a huge selection of high BC bullets available if you want to start playing at long range. Works well in a short action even with high BC bullets. If the 25/06 is a consideration, then consider the 6.5/06 too. There is NOTHING a 25/06 will do that a 6.5/06 won’t do better. Same with the 6.5x55.

I would rule out a 7mm/08 because reaching the lands is problematic with high BC bullets in a short action magazine. Would substitute 6mm Creedmoor for .243. Same ballistics but CM works better in a short action.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I'll just stick with my 25s and their "terrible" BCs. For the way I (and I suspect most others) hunt, a super BC doesn't matter. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
In the bunch you listed, I’d definitely go 6.5 CM. Good factory ammo is available and you have a huge selection of high BC bullets available if you want to start playing at long range. Works well in a short action even with high BC bullets. If the 25/06 is a consideration, then consider the 6.5/06 too. There is NOTHING a 25/06 will do that a 6.5/06 won’t do better. Same with the 6.5x55.

I would rule out a 7mm/08 because reaching the lands is problematic with high BC bullets in a short action magazine. Would substitute 6mm Creedmoor for .243. Same ballistics but CM works better in a short action.

John

Lots of good logic in your response. Thanks!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7-08 gets my vote. Readily available weights from 100-175 grains.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's really not a bit of difference between them for hunting most NA game. I'd avoid the Creedmoor unless you want to be like every other skinny jean wearing, Bin Laden bearded millennial.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
laugh laugh laugh

We all gots to have our identity ! whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas
I think I'll just stick with my 25s and their "terrible" BCs. For the way I (and I suspect most others) hunt, a super BC doesn't matter. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

That is kind of how I feel about 270's. smile

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
All around = 243

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
“There is NOTHING a 25/06 will do that a 6.5/06 won’t do better“

When I read statements like this, i wonder what “better” means.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
“There is NOTHING a 25/06 will do that a 6.5/06 won’t do better“

When I read statements like this, i wonder what “better” means.

Could mean available at Walmart, but I think it boils down to least amount of drift. And if you don't shoot that far anyway, none of it matters.

But I like buying anmo at Walmart.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For a tote around short action hunting rifle with big punch the 7-08 is hard to beat. 7mm bullets abound for all kinds of interesting field work. 243 Win needs no defending, but the 7-08 offers more versatility in the field and gives you a nice fit between the other two cartridges you mentioned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of the .25-06 but if you want to shoot a lot and punch paper as well as hunt then the 6.5 Creedmoor becomes almost a no-brainer. There really isn't anything not to like about it, other than just being resistant to it for the sake of being resistant. :-)

It'll handle 100-147 grain bullets with aplomb and those 140+ have some seriously good BCs for saying hello in the next zip code. Unlike the 25 cal, there are tons of great target and hunting bullets in 6.5 and there is so much variety of factory ammo for the Creedmoor that I am almost certain you could find a few factory loads that will do everything you need on the bench or in the field and that will be super-accurate in whatever rifle you end up with.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also available in many factory rifles from the most inexpensive to the most iconic. Heck, with Winchester alone you can get one in the inexpensive (but accurate!) XPR, the durable Extreme Weather, the hybrid Coyote Light, the super-classy and hunter-friendly Featherweight (blued or stainless) and the iconic Super Grade. There's gotta be something you like in that group, right?

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
something all purpose and enjoyable to shoot.....and i have had them all
25-06 or the 6.5

easily obtained ammunition for around 20.00 dollars per box if you dont handload
if you handload the creed will take less powder if not that is ok.....both will shoot bullets in the 100-120 grain weight so not much recoil
both will handle most north american game well and you have your 30-06 to fall back on
a lot of people talk about bullet drop but if your into that game its just a matter of turning a dial so i dont really see the big issue there
both can be had in rifles from $300.00 up to your hearts content....
my 2 cents worth....opinions will differ

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I'm a big fan of the .25-06 but if you want to shoot a lot and punch paper as well as hunt then the 6.5 Creedmoor becomes almost a no-brainer. There really isn't anything not to like about it, other than just being resistant to it for the sake of being resistant. :-)

It'll handle 100-147 grain bullets with aplomb and those 140+ have some seriously good BCs for saying hello in the next zip code. Unlike the 25 cal, there are tons of great target and hunting bullets in 6.5 and there is so much variety of factory ammo for the Creedmoor that I am almost certain you could find a few factory loads that will do everything you need on the bench or in the field and that will be super-accurate in whatever rifle you end up with.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also available in many factory rifles from the most inexpensive to the most iconic. Heck, with Winchester alone you can get one in the inexpensive (but accurate!) XPR, the durable Extreme Weather, the hybrid Coyote Light, the super-classy and hunter-friendly Featherweight (blued or stainless) and the iconic Super Grade. There's gotta be something you like in that group, right?

Where are you seeing the stainless featherweight?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

Where are you seeing the stainless featherweight?

I may have misunderstood this video: https://youtu.be/YqpegeCnzYU

I hope not, because the SS Featherweight in 6.5 Creedmoor will be my next rifle.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RAR 6.5 CM & SWFA, shoot the snot out of it. Save the brass and sell it to fund the replacement.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,097
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.