Home
Posted By: pharmvet .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
I’ve been browsing the net looking for a Ruger all weather Skeketon stock in .300 Win Mag for Elk and possibly Moose. Haven’t seen one in .300 Win Mag but there are a few .338 Win Mag for sale. This has me thinking......

How do you compare these two? Would you choose one over the other? Ammo availability / price? Recoil comparison?’any and all info is we scones. I have no experience with either caliber. Thanks!
Posted By: JPro Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
The rifle is to be fed factory ammo? Both are going to be pretty stout kickers with the boat paddle stock and I doubt 180-200gr .300 loads are going to feel much different from 200-225gr .338 loads. Ammo is going to be bit cheaper in the 300, with more available options. The .338 can be cut back to 22" without much loss in velocity, while the .300 generally can't claim the same. If you are going for the flattest trajectory with a duplex reticle, a guy can shoot fast 165-180gr premiums in the .300 and stretch things out a bit more than the .338, but if most of your shots are inside 300-350yds, it is really not a big deal. There's not really a bad choice between the two.

There was a laminated SS .338 M77 in the classifieds in the last couple weeks. I remember it being a good buy.
You tell him jpro. Ill just go and make some popcorn because this thread mag get interesting.
I have a .338 in a Winchester M70 with a 26" barrel. It weighs ~8.5 lbs with scope. I also have a pre64 M70 in 300 H&H with a 26" barrel that weighs about a pound more with scope. I have the 300 loaded 2950 fps with 180s and currently using 200g at 2750. So very similar to the 300 Winchester. The .338 has too hard of recoil pad and the 300 H&H has a steel buttplate. I try not to shoot 250g out of the .338 anymore. Too much for my shoulder now, although a better recoil pad would help. I shoot 225g at 2800 fps out of it with no problem. As far as recoil goes I would much rather shoot my 300 than the .338 and I doubt the animals I have taken with the rounds would notice the difference in the two. Mule Deer wrote about expansion results between the two recently. He said their was really no difference between the mushroom of a .300 and .338 so should have similar effects on game. I have shot a few 300 Winchesters over the years and they have quite a bit less recoil than the .338s I have shot.
I’ve shot bulls with both, and while the 300 mag is certainly more than adequate, there’s just something about my 338. I’m thinking it’s the frontal diameter buts that’s just me. The 338....it just stops em dead in their tracks....just stomps em. There is no question about what’s happening when the 338 impacts a bull at any of the ranges I’ve shot bulls at (48 - 351 yards).

That’s just my opinion...that’s all. I’ve never shot one with a Creedmor so I can’t compare. 😏 I’m hearing it’s better than a 50 cal.

All this assumes a good, lethal hit, of course. Gut shot is gut shot, no matter what caliber.
Originally Posted by JPro
Both are going to be pretty stout kickers with the boat paddle stock and I doubt 180-200gr .300 loads are going to feel much different from 200-225gr .338 loads.

Very respectfully, but strongly, disagree.
Posted By: jwall Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
Ammo is going to be bit cheaper in the 300, with more available options.

If you are going for the flattest trajectory with a duplex reticle, a guy can shoot fast 165-180gr premiums in the .300 and stretch things out a bit more than the .338,.......

That's the truth. You tell em JPro. whistle
smile

Jerry
I have had several of both.. For me the .338 is good, but no better than the .300.. Not nearly as flat either.. With the modern bullets we have you can shoot a 150 in a .300 for super flat traj.. If a guy were in deep timber like northern Idaho or Ore. The .338 would be fine especially with heavy bullets... Otherwise the .300 is more of an all around rifle... I have shot a number of elk with the.338 and the .340.. Both kill well but no better than the .300... For a time a bunch of my shooting pals and I went the ,338 route.. After a couple seasons , most either sold them or stacked them in the safe.. Here there is much, much open country elk hunting and it was far easier to hit and elk with the .300 across a canyon with the .300..
Posted By: Brad Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
If you want a 22" barrel, get a 338.
If you want a 24" barrel, get a 300.

There's no difference between them IME.
Posted By: JPro Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Both are going to be pretty stout kickers with the boat paddle stock and I doubt 180-200gr .300 loads are going to feel much different from 200-225gr .338 loads.

Fair enough. I likely should have said 180-200gr .300 vs 200-210gr .338 compare somewhat favorably. 225's might indeed be a notch more in recoil. My most applicable comparison experience is somewhat secondhand there, as my father was shooting while I was watching. Shooting walnut M77 rifles in 300win (180's at 3,000) and .338win (210's at 2,900) did not feel too much different to him. One of my neighbors also owned and hunted both, and he was convinced that the .300 recoil hit him faster. While I've owned rifles in .300win and .338win, I've not personally shot them back to back on the same day. I lean towards 200-210gr stuff in the .338win.
I shot a lot of 300 and 338s from Ruger baotpaddle stocked rifles in the late 90s through the early 2000s. I never saw a lot of difference in recoil between the 2. If you like to shoot heavy bullets above 200 grain, get the 338. If you like lighter bullets get a 300. Get a prefit recoil pad for either
I’ve shot bulls with both, and while the 300 mag is certainly more than adequate, there’s just something about my 338. I’m thinking it’s the frontal diameter buts that’s just me. The 338....it just stops em dead in their tracks....just stomps em. There is no question about what’s happening when the 338 impacts a bull at any of the ranges I’ve shot bulls at (48 - 351 yards).

That’s just my opinion...that’s all. I’ve never shot one with a Creedmor so I can’t compare. 😏 I’m hearing it’s better than a 50 cal.

All this assumes a good, lethal hit, of course. Gut shot is gut shot, no matter what caliber.

I think a big thing about the 338 that might be better that the 300 mag is the 250gr bullet. Actually I no longer shoot magnum's, recoil to much for me and fr more power than needed. If you can kill it with a 505 Gibbs, I'm quite sure you can kill it with a 223 and the right bullet also! Never rely on a cartridge to make up for the shooter's deficiency's
Posted By: memtb Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
My wife has very little experience with the .300, but, loves her .338 WM. She’s running 250 TTSX’s @ 2950 from a 24” barrel. Unless ranges are exceeding 600 or 700 yards, the .338 would get my recommendation! I simply prefer the larger bullet diameter, and heavier weights! memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
I have both, ain’t much difference in recoil with the same weight bullets.
Get a 300 weatherby if you can’t decide.
Originally Posted by memtb
My wife has very little experience with the .300, but, loves her .338 WM. She’s running 250 TTSX’s @ 2950 from a 24” barrel. Unless ranges are exceeding 600 or 700 yards, the .338 would get my recommendation! I simply prefer the larger bullet diameter, and heavier weights! memtb

2950 FPS with 250s is Smokin!!!
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Yea.

I doubt he's doing that with anything less than 75K PSI. That's about where you would be with RL-26.....if you could get enough into the case.
I have both in Winchester M70s. Both have synthetic stocks and 26" barrels. Weigh for all practical purposes is the same. Recoil on the other hand is not. I can easily shoot 10 to 15 rounds from the .300 off the bench but more than about 6 rounds from the .338 mag. and I've had it for the day. I had a brake put on the .338 and it still hurts, yet the stocks on both rifles are identical. Still haven't figured out why there is that much difference.
Paul B.
Posted By: hanco Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
A 300 Weatherby has more recoil than a 338
Posted By: 35 Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../ruger-all-weather-value-question#UNREAD
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I have both in Winchester M70s. Both have synthetic stocks and 26" barrels. Weigh for all practical purposes is the same. Recoil on the other hand is not. I can easily shoot 10 to 15 rounds from the .300 off the bench but more than about 6 rounds from the .338 mag. and I've had it for the day. I had a brake put on the .338 and it still hurts, yet the stocks on both rifles are identical. Still haven't figured out why there is that much difference.
Paul B.

Because they are not the same and the reason you bought them.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Paul B.

Are the recoil pads the same?

Some of the pads on the M70's were not very good, or just a hard piece of rubber....
Posted By: memtb Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19

A “head up @$$ moment. Should have been 225 TTSX’s @ 2950! Sorry for the “very” incorrect info!

I shoot 250’s in my rifle, not the.338! memtb
Both are excellent cartridges that will do a great job for you. Both also kick pretty hard, so you’ll need a well-designed stock with a good recoil pad. A Ruger boat-paddle stock is not where I’d start.

Okie John
Posted By: Dre Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 11/30/19
No need for magnum for elk but if I was shopping specifically for elk and moose.
The 338 for normal ranges.
300 if I planned on longer than 500 or 600 yard shots and load some 190-210 grainers
In truth many cape buff have been shot dead with a 338 WM w\250 gr - 270 gr loads (yes the 338 WM has been used on buff in Africa), can’t say the same for a 300 WM using any load. If raw numbers mean anything, the 338 WM is a closer comparison in performance to a 375 H&H when used on very large game. That’s not to say the 300 WM isn’t potent and a great performer. Again higher impact velocity w/ lighter weight bullet doesn’t necessarily translate into deeper penetration. More moderate velocity with heavy projectiles usually translates into maximizing both penetration and expansion. There’s a time and a place for using either. Depending on what you hunt, you’ll probably get more NA field use from a 300 WM by far.
Get the .338 WM and load either a 210 or 250 grain Nosler Partition.
Originally Posted by hanco

Don’t doubt it. So does my 300 RUM.

A “head up @$$ moment. Should have been 225 TTSX’s @ 2950! Sorry for the “very” incorrect info!

I shoot 250’s in my rifle, not the.338! memtb

Ok,

I'll believe that. That's about what I get with the 225gr NAB out of my 26" barrel.
Originally Posted by hanco

That’s debatable. I shot a 338 in an A Bolt, I thought it belted me pretty good. The Weatherby Vanguards not quite as bad. I guess the difference in weight, stock material, design had something do with my experience.
Yeah a 300 Wby in an Ultralight platform sounds very unpleasant regarding a range session.
I have to agree with GoDogs on the previous page. I have shot three cows and two bulls with a .338WM, all with 225gr Partitions. All five showed immediate signs of being hit hard. Two collapsed and never moved. Two tried to go uphill but after two or three steps turned downhill into a free-fall. The fifth at over 250 yards raised up on its back legs and fell over backward down the hill. I'm glad my buddy witnessed it through his binocular - quite the sight.

I've taken 8 with 300WM/300WSM's with no drama, but not the immediate "hurt" visual. But I've had a raghorn collapse in its tracks with a pre '64 .308 Winchester with a 165gr Partition at 110 yards. Two years later (almost in the same spot) a big 5x5 dropped immediately from a 150gr. Partition from a .270 Win. at about 100 yards. Oddly, some bones from the raghorn were still where I left them.

As I commented earlier, we started elk hunting with 300's and .338's. Why? Cause elk were big and so were the mountains. Twenty years later, we bring our deer guns and know how to use trajectory if needed. The big guns are either in the safes or sold off.

I don't know if there is any moral to the story other than to put a good bullet in the right place - but everyone knows that!
Posted By: Dre Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/01/19
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

I don't know if there is any moral to the story other than to put a good bullet in the right place - but everyone knows that!

Bingo!
People still don’t know that or they want a heavy hitter. If you want the big gun and know you can handle it. So be it.
Just like you, my heavy hitter or big gun (9.3x62) is at home and I’m either carrying 06 or 270 as I’m a better shot at longer range with the 270. (Ringing 8” gong at 600 yards)
I’m working on LRX load for 6.5 for next year.
Originally Posted by pharmvet
I’ve been browsing the net looking for a Ruger all weather Skeketon stock in .300 Win Mag for Elk and possibly Moose. Haven’t seen one in .300 Win Mag but there are a few .338 Win Mag for sale. This has me thinking......

How do you compare these two? Would you choose one over the other? Ammo availability / price? Recoil comparison?’any and all info is we scones. I have no experience with either caliber. Thanks!

Haven't priced factory ammo but there are lots of good factory loads for both.

I shoot both a .300WM and .338WM in skeleton Ruger stocks. The .300 has a 24" barrel, the .338 a fluted 22" barrel. Weight is about the same to my hands, don't have a scale to weigh them on but assume about 8.3lbs with scope..

Recoil for a .338"/225g/2766fps AB with 70.0g H100V calculates to be 34.6 ft-lbs @ 16.4fps. A .308" /3033fps/180g TTSX with 70.0g H4350 calculates to be
29.2 ft-lbs @ 15.1fps. The extra recoil of the .338 is very noticeable, even with a LImbsaver pad on the .338.

The .300 will do for elk, easily, based on personal experience. Have never been on a moose kill, let alone shot one, but a .300WM should do them easily too.
Posted By: jwall Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/01/19
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The .300 will do for elk, easily, based on personal experience. Have never been on a moose kill, let alone shot one, but a .300WM should do them easily too.

MY. MAN ! ! cool

Dad is that you ? laugh

Jerry
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Get the .338 WM and load either a 210 or 250 grain Nosler Partition.

Or spit the difference with a 225 and you'd be golden.

I agree with your disagreement. I have both (I have all 4 magnums) and the .300 isn't bad at all. The .338 on the other hand, kicks like a Missouri Mule! It also, leaves the little lines that's on the recoil pad, on your shoulder, making it look like a grilled steak. I've taken Whitetail with both using appropriate weight Interlocks (180 and 225), the .338 damages less meat. Both are fantastic! But if you aren't going after Elk, Moose, and Grizzly, the .300 is more than you will ever need. Keep looking around, they are everywhere!

PS: here are 4 of the 300's on Armslist right now
Arms List *click here*

I'm attaching a pic of mine. Top to bottom: .338 WM, .300 WM, 7mm RM, and .264 WM.

Attached picture PB_1573443685668.png
Recoil for 338 WM is not to bad in my opinion. I loaded 250 gr Hawks and NP bullets to 2,625 fps in lieu of 2,725 fps and it was fairly easy on the shoulder. I had a Wby VG (1980) when they used really nice wood on the VG in 300 WM and it gave quite a jolt. Sold it to a farmer in Nebraska, bought a 7mm RM and never missed the 300 WM.
I’ve used both quite extensively, pass the 338

I bought a zytel stocked Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag when I was 18....absolutely had to have it. Killed a smallish bear with it, then sold it.

With factory loads (Winchester failsafes, I believe) that rifle kicked harder than any other rifle I have fired before or since. It's a good round no doubt, but not in that rifle.
I would pick the .338 because in practical terms .300 magnum offers nothing over .30-06. Extra recoil and blast are not practical.
I have a MCM stocked, 20” 338 Win Mag in SS M70 I need to put into service. Seems like 185 Barnes TTSX would make it a great close quarters rut rifle.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I bought a zytel stocked Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag when I was 18....absolutely had to have it. Killed a smallish bear with it, then sold it.

With factory loads (Winchester failsafes, I believe) that rifle kicked harder than any other rifle I have fired before or since. It's a good round no doubt, but not in that rifle.

Ya ted, absolutely shiit stock design, they distribute felt recoil in 1 spot!! 🤣🤣
Originally Posted by Calvin
I have a MCM stocked, 20” 338 Win Mag in SS M70 I need to put into service. Seems like 185 Barnes TTSX would make it a great close quarters rut rifle.

I bought mine off bugger on here, came magna ported, thinking about having it chopped which would put it about 22”
Mine originally was the BOSS model I had chopped. Haven’t shot it in 15 years. Be nice to do a season with it.
Posted By: hanco Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/01/19
Mine are Sako’s, they seem to have less recoil than other rifles.
Recoil will be the biggest difference - the .338 would make you flinch. The .338 has a good bit more energy than the .300 win mag. But, unless you are hunting bear, the .338 really won't give you much of an advantage. The .300 win mag will take anything in North America with no problem.
I hunted mostly with a .300 for about 10 years, then after a couple close quarter bear encounters went to a .338 for the last 15 or so. Both Rugers. I liked the slight increase in diameter, recoil has not been an issue so far. I don't have long sessions with the rifle, as poa stays the same with the crappy Leupold on it. Longest shot was a moose at 435 yds.
Posted By: Hudge Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/01/19
I have rifles in both cartridges. My .300 WM is a Rem 700 SPS, and my .338 WM is a Ruger Hawkeye SS. I'll be honest with you, I like the .338 WM over the .300 WM, as it to me the rifle does not kick as hard as the .300 WM. Of course the Ruger is a little heaver and that helps tame the recoil as well. I'm also impressed with how well the .338 WM shoots. My son that just came home from Army AIT last week for the AK Army Guard has decided he wants a .300 WM. I told him to save his money, and he can have mine. I've shot caribou with it and have bear hunted with it the past three springs I hunted bear (2014, 2016, and 2017). I honestly don't see it going in the woods with me much anymore as the .338 and my .300 WSM I prefer over the .300 WM.
Posted By: jwall Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/01/19
Originally Posted by Slavek
I would pick the .338 because in practical terms .300 magnum offers nothing over .30-06. Extra recoil and blast are not practical.

Have you loaded for both ?

300 FPS and flatter trajectory are BOTH advantages of the 300 WM.

I Load for both and have a chronograph. Experience.

Jerry
Posted By: Brad Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/01/19
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

What’s your experience with them on elk and moose?
I have lots of experience with the .300 and quite a bit with the .338 & more with the .340... All three are great rounds, but the .300 gets my vote hands down.. If I need to go bigger then I step up to a .375... I would like to know how much experience guys who say there is no diff. between the o6 and the .300 have with both rounds.. An 06 is a great round, but the .300 is a big step up in, speed , flat traj.. and of course recoil... If you can't handle the recoil then you are better off with the 06 and if that is too much the .308...

Have you loaded for both ?

300 FPS and flatter trajectory are BOTH advantages of the 300 WM.

Jerry

With all due respect where you getting a separation of 300 fps? A 180 gr .30 in 300 WM will carry about 3050 fps at the muzzle. A 200 gr .33 is carrying about 3020 fps at the muzzle. No way a 300 WM has 300 fps on a 338 WM. Even with 150s in a .30 vs a 165s in a .33. Long and short of it at a distance of 400 yards the 300 WM shoots less than 2 inches flatter and when it comes to high BC heavy projectiles the .30 can’t keep up with a .33 in drift or sheer penetration on heavy game.
I think Jerry is comparing the 300 win to 30\06 analogy..... Just my guess though
Well that makes perfect sense. My bad.
I have both the 300 and 338 win mags. I set the 300 up for long range and the 338 for 400 and closer hunting. Both are great shooters. The 300 sits in the safe, the 338 goes to the mountain every time.
I’ve had a few of the .30 - .338 magnums. 340 Weatherby, 338 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby and the 300 Win Mag. Still have the 338 Win Mag. That gun with 210 Noslers just works. That bullet has taken 2 Grizzlies for me. No complaints. Also Elk and Deer. While certainly magnum recoil, I’d rather shoot it than the other 3. Jump up to 250’s and that changes. The Weatherby’s are brutal. I didn’t see a lot of difference between the 338 and the 300 Win Mag. All 4 are more than enough for all of America’s Big Game. I’ve never hunted Brown Bear but with the right bullets and proper shot placement, all would be well. My biggest Grizzly was a B&C Bear that squared out at 8’ 1”. One shot was all that was required.

You sir, are delusional. Offers nothing ? Just in Hornady American Whitetail 180gr, the 300 is nearly 300 fps flatter and almost 2 inches flatter at 300 yards. You should get out and actually EXPERIENCE some things, as the other guy said. An animal wont know the difference until you get over 800 yards, but the ease of less holdover is what the 300 Win Mag was intended for. Besides, the 30-06 needs to be retired, I'd take a .308 or .30 TC over the Ot Sux any day.
Originally Posted by JBabcock
I’ve had a few of the .30 - .338 magnums. 340 Weatherby, 338 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby and the 300 Win Mag. Still have the 338 Win Mag. That gun with 210 Noslers just works. That bullet has taken 2 Grizzlies for me. No complaints. Also Elk and Deer. While certainly magnum recoil, I’d rather shoot it than the other 3. Jump up to 250’s and that changes. The Weatherby’s are brutal. I didn’t see a lot of difference between the 338 and the 300 Win Mag. All 4 are more than enough for all of America’s Big Game. I’ve never hunted Brown Bear but with the right bullets and proper shot placement, all would be well. My biggest Grizzly was a B&C Bear that squared out at 8’ 1”. One shot was all that was required.

My .338 Win Mag pet load was 225 Accubonds moving easily at 2700 fps. It was an off switch for deer, they dropped in their tracks, every time. It also shot under 1 inch at 100 yards every time.

Attached picture 225AB_71_zpsd02c25c1-345x345.jpg
Ah, I personally think the 30-06 might be the greatest cartridge ever designed. With today’s bullets, I’d hunt the world with it. I’ve put away my magnums, and I typically grab a 30-06. Retired? I don’t think so. Think 350 Chevy small-block, and there’s the 30-06 right next to it.
Posted By: jwall Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have lots of experience with the .300 and quite a bit with the .338 & more with the .340... All three are great rounds, but the .300 gets my vote hands down.. If I need to go bigger then I step up to a .375... I would like to know how much experience guys who say there is no diff. between the o6 and the .300 have with both rounds.. An 06 is a great round, but the .300 is a big step up in, speed , flat traj.. and of course recoil... If you can't handle the recoil then you are better off with the 06 and if that is too much the .308...

smile smile smile

Thanks WCH. I've been gone nearly all day. I posted earlier while at lunch.

The man who only knows what he has experienced is an ignoramus ! And generally is a Jerkus Magnus.

None of us knew our own NAME till we were TOLD.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Judman
I think Jerry is comparing the 300 win to 30\06 analogy..... Just my guess though

Ding ! Ding ! You are correct. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Rossimp
Well that makes perfect sense. My bad.

That's a mistake we ALL have made. No Problem.

Jerry
I use a .308 for most things and a .338 for everything else. I helped a couple of buddies get their .338’s sighted in one day at our friends ranch and the difference between the stocks made recoil substantially different. My friends A-bolt felt significantly stouter in recoil than my rifle or my buddy’s model 70 Safari Grade rifle.

I was using and shooting my .338 a lot many years back and have a telepathic relationship with her, she’s been an extremely accurate and faithful companion. I took a friend deer hunting for the first time and he bought a BSA in 7mm Mag for his big game rifle, which was an excellent choice for a 1 rifle battery in my opinion. He asked me to shoot it a little and see what I thought. WOW!....that SOB KICKED harder than my .338. It was painful to shoot but it did shoot good. 😁
An8

I know xactly what you’re talking about. Diff stocks, diff recoil pads CAN make
the diff like daylight & dark.

I’ve shot a BDL 375 HH quite a bit. I have an 8 mm RM and shot it more than my friend
the original owner.

I HAD a Ruger 77 OG, red pad in 338 W. That IS the hardest kicking rifle I’ve
ever owned OR shot. It hurt EVERY time I shot it.
It went down the road so fast it RAISED DUST. LOL

The 8 M shoots more powder and 220 gr bullets faster / 338, less powder 225 gr bullets slower.
The 8 RM is a PUSSYCAT compared to the OG 338.

It was the stock not the cartridge.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Calvin

My .338 is 21" and with 250's it's still my favorite for elk. I have a box full of stuff, but the .338 is well worn.
Posted By: szihn Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/02/19
I have owned both and I have killed elk with both.
The 338 makes a larger hole through the elk and with one of the bullets I used, it always left me an exit. One other didn't and penetration was not too good.

Some 300 bullets didn't work out very well, but if you use a tough 180, 200 or 220 grain bullet the 300s also give exits.

I still own one of the 300s. I sold my 338s, but not because I had any complaints. It's just that I found that if I wanted to see more effect on large game then I get with the 270 Winchester of 30-06 my 9.3s and my 375H&H beat them.

If I were to be forced to choose one or the other I would choose the 338 over the 300s. I still own one 300 and I really like the rifle, so that is the reason I kept in more so then what cartridge it's chambered in.

I have owned two 300H&Hs one 300 Win Mag, two 308 Norma Mags, one 300 Weatherby mag and one 30-378 Weatherby mag and I have also owned a 338 Win mag.

To be 100% honest, I can't say I can see any real world difference in how any of my 300s killed elk, being faster of better then the 30-06s I have also killed elk with. You would think the super fast speeds given to me from the 300 Weatherby and the 30-378 Weatherby would just "have to kill better" then the 30-06 ------and I though so too ------until I used them. Nothing wrong with any of them, but I just didn't see any more effect on the killing of elk from the super-duper-uber fast bullets then I did from good 180 and 220 grain 30-06 loads. Flatter and more reach?....................Yes. Better killers? No.

The 2 choices you ask about are the 300 and the 338 mags ----- and if those were the only 2 I'd go with the 338 from my experience as a elk rifle, but if you were to also give a 30-06 as one of the choices I would take that over either one of the belted mags you named.

The reason I don't own a 338 now days is that I do own a 9.3X62 and a 9.3X74R as well as the 375H&H I have owned for the last 43years. All 3 of them put the elk down faster and better then any of my old 300s (including the one I still own) OR the 338 mag I used to have.

Others may disagree. And my opinion can't be said to be "better" then theirs. It's just what I have seen from using them.

But from my 50+ years of elk killing, if I want to step up from a 270 or a 30-06, I would step all the way up to a 9.3X62 or a 375H&H. The 270 to 300 grain bullets they use have been more impressive then the 30 cals I used, (not that there was a thing "wrong" with the 30s either) Or the 338 250 grain and 225 grain bullets I used.

In the 338 Mag I used 225 Grain Hornady Spire Points which came apart badly and didn't kill as well or fast as my 270s or 30-06s.

I also used the 250 grain Nosler partitions which were excellent.

The 250 from the 338 Win Mag put the elk down in a few seconds. My 375s and the 9.3 do it too, but in a few seconds less. (often instantly)

I am splitting hairs here and I admit it. But I figured I'd share what I have personally seen. My opinion is based on experience, but others may have different experience, so my advice may be worth exactly what it cost you. Nothing.

Posted By: ADNA Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/02/19
I have a browning A-bolt 338 mag from about 1988 and have shot many deer and elk plus a lot of African animals with it. I also have a tikka T3 in .338 win mag that I have shot a lot of deer and elk and a couple moose with it. I shoot 225 accubond now but used to shoot 250 nosier partition. I like my .338 caliber better than my old 300 Winchester. I think recoil is about same but agree stock design makes a difference. Maybe I just hit animals a little better with .338 but they seem to die quicker.
Originally Posted by ADNA
I have a browning A-bolt 338 mag from about 1988 and have shot many deer and elk plus a lot of African animals with it. I also have a tikka T3 in .338 win mag that I have shot a lot of deer and elk and a couple moose with it. I shoot 225 accubond now but used to shoot 250 nosier partition. I like my .338 caliber better than my old 300 Winchester. I think recoil is about same but agree stock design makes a difference. Maybe I just hit animals a little better with .338 but they seem to die quicker.

Shot ya a pm adna...
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Ah, I personally think the 30-06 might be the greatest cartridge ever designed. With today’s bullets, I’d hunt the world with it. I’ve put away my magnums, and I typically grab a 30-06. Retired? I don’t think so. Think 350 Chevy small-block, and there’s the 30-06 right next to it.

I cant stand the old Chevy small blocks. Then my uncle run it (30-06) in the ground. According to him, we could do away with artillery guns, because the ot-sux could do more damage. You also don't have to worry about trees in a forrest battle. The ole Turdy caliber M1 will go through those trees and actually speed up when they come out. Then they are incendiary and burn up the target.

.......ok, I embellished a little, but you get the idea.
An8

I know xactly what you’re talking about. Diff stocks, diff recoil pads CAN make
the diff like daylight & dark.

I’ve shot a BDL 375 HH quite a bit. I have an 8 mm RM and shot it more than my friend
the original owner.

I HAD a Ruger 77 OG, red pad in 338 W. That IS the hardest kicking rifle I’ve
ever owned OR shot. It hurt EVERY time I shot it.
It went down the road so fast it RAISED DUST. LOL

The 8 M shoots more powder and 220 gr bullets faster / 338, lees powder 225 gr bulets slower.
The 8 RM is a PUSSYCAT compared to the OG 338.

It was the stock not the cartridge.

Jerry

I had a friend on another forum (he has passed now), and he loved the 8mm Rem Mag. Swore by that thing. He would always say a 220 grain GameKing @ 3040 was all he needed for ANYTHING. I almost built a 8 RM in his honor, but I got sidetracked. A.D.D. ya know? I did have a .325 WSM, and I got a lot of texts and calls from him about it. He thought it was a great idea.
Myself, I am a 338 Winchester fan. My shots are certainly under 300 yds, so trajectory and wind drift between the 2 have little bearing for me.
I shoot 225 grain monolithics in the 338. I prefer above .308 caliber. Both are proven to work for anything in North America and beyond.
I have 300's also, just never developed the attachment that I have for 338's. Probably no other reason than it seems everyone has a 300, and with good reason.
Ammo availablity and price seem to be about equal here. Recoil, I don't see a big difference.

---------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by ldmay375
Myself, I am a 338 Winchester fan. My shots are certainly under 300 yds, so trajectory and wind drift between the 2 have little bearing for me.
I shoot 225 grain monolithics in the 338. I prefer above .308 caliber. Both are proven to work for anything in North America and beyond.
I have 300's also, just never developed the attachment that I have for 338's. Probably no other reason than it seems everyone has a 300, and with good reason.
Ammo availablity and price seem to be about equal here. Recoil, I don't see a big difference.

---------------------------------------------------

I had a Ruger Compact in .308 that was a LOT more painful than my .338 Win Mag in a Hogue stock. That Compact would be the snot out of ya, bruise your shoulders.
Have killed a few head with the 300.
Never hunted my 338, bought it because it was a deal on a Pre Garcia Sako.

After a time, I realized that with most loads, the 300 had enough
punch up close, and carried more at longer range.
Not that it was better for some uses, but enough.

Laughing at this thread.

We get these posts of guys using small for the application chamberings.
If one mentions better results with 30 calibers, he gets blasted.

How much do you need?
How hard are deer to kill?
It's placement!

The exact same guys are here singing praise on the magnums.
A few days ago, much smaller cases were more than enough for elk.

Confused, I am!
I've owned, used both. I have no pref over either one. I used the 180 xbt in the 300WM on PG and the 340Wby/210 also on PG. Shot a couple head with my friends 338/200X while over there. I couldn't tell any difference in the reaction of any animal, really. If you like heavy bullets, 338WM is your huckleberry. If you like fast and flat, a 180/185 in each do the same things, with the 338 cutting a slightly bigger hole. Good luck to you pard.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Have killed a few head with the 300.
Never hunted my 338, bought it because it was a deal on a Pre Garcia Sako.

After a time, I realized that with most loads, the 300 had enough
punch up close, and carried more at longer range.
Not that it was better for some uses, but enough.

Laughing at this thread.

We get these posts of guys using small for the application chamberings.
If one mentions better results with 30 calibers, he gets blasted.

How much do you need?
How hard are deer to kill?
It's placement!

The exact same guys are here singing praise on the magnums.
A few days ago, much smaller cases were more than enough for elk.

Confused, I am!

I sing the praises of my magnums, but that's just how I am. It is what I like to shoot. The .300 Winchester is wayyyy more than what is needed for a Whitetail. But it's what I like to use.

IMHO, the 7x57 and 7mm-08 are THE perfect choice for Whitetail. You have just that little extra "umphh" for longer shots or bad angles. My wife will be hunting them next year with a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I will load it with 140 Accubonds.

Elk aren't hard to kill, but they are a tough, strongly built animal. My bare minimum would be a 7mm Rem Mag, but that is me. I suppose a minimum of a .257 Weatherby, .25-06, .25 WSSM would suffice. With more emphasis pushing for a .308, .30-06 etc

Well out to a good clip they are categorically the same cartridge and both are super numeric in just about every category for NA game.

By the way, Mr O.P., owning both, I can tell you if I had to choose, I'd take the .338 ten times out of ten. Also, I have the .264 Win Mag, and a 7mm Rem Mag in the same gun. Still, I'd choose the .338. In these models the 7mm Rem Mag has a smaller profile barrel.

I have been using a boat paddle .300 Win as my main hunting rifle for the past four seasons or so. Taken a fair amount of game with it using a 180 TTSX from around 75 yards to 466. Elk, Deer and Bears. Zero complaints other than heft. Recoil has been very manageable. I know some guys hate the paddle stocks for recoil but I get along just fine with mine. Have owned boat paddle and newer synthetic Rugers in .338 also. Can't think of a single thing I would do with the .338 that I wouldn't do with the .300.

If I wanted to shoot bigger bullets at slower speeds I would probably skip the .338 and build a .358 Norma cut to 20-22" just because.
I've pondered the 358 Norma too Jud, already got a 338 and whelen so I said to hell with it...
I've pondered the 358 Norma too Jud, already got a 338 and whelen so I said to hell with it...

I got a whelen and a .300 so said to hell with the .338 and the Norma, lol.
Ya were pretty well covered then!! 🤣👍
For out to 500 yards either are two peas in the same pod. I love my 338 Win Mag and have used it a lot, but don't claim it kills any better than a good 7mm bullet or even 270 bullet out to normal hunting/killing ranges.
Who cares what we NEED? I'm getting a .375 Ruger or .375 H&H to put to use as my "one and done gun". A 300gr TSX @ 2600 will kill a 100 lb Whitetail just as well as a Cape Buffalo. I've got a friend in Africa who is a PH, and he uses a .416 Rigby for everything.
Posted By: JPro Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/03/19
I was curious about actual recoil numbers from a couple of loads I used to shoot. My 165gr load in the .300WM made around 3,250fps with IMR 7828. My 210gr load in the .338WM made 2,900fps with Varget. Both generated right at 31lbs of recoil if using a 9lb rifle.

One was about high velocity and flat trajectory, the other was about a fair chunk of bullet at a still-respectable velocity. More than one way to skin a cat. Here's a comparison photo to illustrate the difference in what is being sent downrange. I still can't help but look at a 210TTSX in my hand and wonder why anybody would need more bullet to kill anything on this continent at a reasonable range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I was curious about actual recoil numbers from a couple of loads I used to shoot. My 165gr load in the .300WM made around 3,250fps with IMR 7828. My 210gr load in the .338WM made 2,900fps with Varget. Both generated right at 31lbs of recoil if using a 9lb rifle.

One was about high velocity and flat trajectory, the other was about a fair chunk of bullet at a still-respectable velocity. More than one way to skin a cat. Here's a comparison photo to illustrate the difference in what is being sent downrange. I still can't help but look at a 210TTSX in my hand and wonder why anybody would need more bullet to kill anything on this continent at a reasonable range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just a tip for ya. The 165 TTSX needs 1800 fps to expand. But the 168 only needs 1500. I have the email from Barnes I can show ya if you need verification.
Posted By: memtb Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by 7point62mag
Who cares what we NEED? I'm getting a .375 Ruger or .375 H&H to put to use as my "one and done gun". A 300gr TSX @ 2600 will kill a 100 lb Whitetail just as well as a Cape Buffalo. I've got a friend in Africa who is a PH, and he uses a .416 Rigby for everything.

You are a bright young man! But, may want to step down to a 270 LRX......JMO! wink memtb
Posted By: JPro Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/03/19
I'd believe that, regarding the 168 needing less impact velocity to expand, as it is a bit longer in the nose. The 165 shown was mainly picked up for mag-length loads in the 308win.
Posted By: RinB Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/03/19

7point62mag
Curious. How much big game have you taken and what animals and locations?
Yeah, that "pick a big gun and be one and done" gets old pretty quick if you like to shoot very much.
Originally Posted by mathman
Yeah, that "pick a big gun and be one and done" gets old pretty quick if you like to shoot very much.

And if you hunt several spicies\locales it's nice to have choices too...

You are a bright young man! But, may want to step down to a 270 LRX......JMO! wink memtb

My post was more of a thing saying, don't listen to what others say you "need". Just shoot what you "want" and enjoy. Too many people worry about what others say they have to have, because this is too little or that is too big.

I really will be picking up a .375 of some flavor, that wasn't a joke. Andrias is bringing me over to tag along for awhile. He has a home in Colorado as well, so I get to hunt Elk with him when he is stateside.

As far as shooting a lot bothering you, I've set up a few .375's from the bench. The H&H is fun to shoot, it really is just a push. The .375 Ruger (without the brake) has quite a bit more bite to it, due to the higher pressures involved matching velocity in a smaller case. With the brake, I'd compare it to a heavy .30-06 load. Helping at my friends shop and range for 15 years, has allowed me to get a wide range of experience, trying different firearms. Some new just in, some trade ins, and some folks were just nice enough to let me shoot for waived range fees, or free ammo. I was not trying to give off a "macho" vibe, just sharing my opinion per my given experiences.

For the fella questioning my hunts. I love how when someone says something that the "frequent/regular" members dont agree with, the keyboard officials come out in droves throwing their yellow flags, blowing a whistle, and trying to see replays on the teleprompters.

Now, with a heavy heart i add, I may not be back to reply for awhile. I'm not running from questions. While I was writing the above, I was just told my first cousin just lost the battle with cancer that she had been fighting. She never once said "poor me", and had a smile on her face everyday. frown
Posted By: memtb Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/04/19
Sorry to hear of your loss. It’s tough to lose a loved one, but during the holidays seems to make it worse! Again, my condolences for your loss! memtb
Sorry to hear this.. You have my sympathy!!
Posted By: jwall Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/04/19
Happy Birthday, Beretzs ! We are both December boys.

Jerry
7.62 - So sorry for your loss.
Get back with us ASAP.

Jerry
Just getting back home. Thanks for the thoughts fellas. I didn't mean to derail or completely kill the flow of someone's topic. My apologies for that.
I'd believe that, regarding the 168 needing less impact velocity to expand, as it is a bit longer in the nose. The 165 shown was mainly picked up for mag-length loads in the 308win.

Up until this year, I've never hunted with a Barnes bullet. Trying their 180 TTSX this season, but haven't seen anything but young deer. Spot lighters screw everything up around here. I hate poachers!

Next season I plan to step down to the 168 for my .300 Win Mag. I've heard a lot of great reports on using that bullet in the .30 mags. I'm just learning that you can give up a little wait with a Monolithic bullet, because they shed ZERO weight. To think, I got the 180 TTSX because Choice Ammunition was currently out of stock of 200gr Accubonds. I've always shot heavy for caliber, and if I had been setup reloading or if the 200's had been in stock, I may never have tried Barnes otherwise, and never known how well they shoot.

I like the idea of the 168 in my .300, that is a flat shooting setup. I've seen great results using 168 bullets in .308 rigs that I setup for others.
7point62mag, Be careful expounding the virtues of the Barnes Mono’s here. You will quickly be labeled as an “inbred”, “hair-lipped”, “water-head”, heretic! But, then these folks are trapped in the “dark ages”, still seeing the world as flat!!! grin memtb

Jerry

Thanks buddy!

I am with the others, shoot what you like. We only have us to please.

And I thought all of you guys that shoot Barnes were crazies and hair lipped... whistle

You wouldn't wanna hear what they call guys who still like to hunt with the best bullet ever made for killing is, the Bitterroot Bonded Core... laugh
Originally Posted by beretzs

Jerry

Thanks buddy!

And I thought all of you guys that shoot Barnes were crazies and hair lipped... whistle

You wouldn't wanna hear what they call guys who still like to hunt with the best bullet ever made for killing is, the Bitterroot Bonded Core... laugh

Wouldn't that be the "Partition Posse" ?

Jerry

Thanks buddy!

grin
7point62mag, Be careful expounding the virtues of the Barnes Mono’s here. You will quickly be labeled as an “inbred”, “hair-lipped”, “water-head”, heretic! But, then these folks are trapped in the “dark ages”, still seeing the world as flat!!! grin memtb

I wish I could ignore my poor experience with Barnes bullets.
Posted By: JPro Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/04/19
I'm curious. Was your poor experience with current products or early-years stuff? I've had pretty good luck with the TTSX, but nothing is perfect.
Originally Posted by peeshooter

I wish I could ignore my poor experience with Barnes bullets.

Me too...
I’ve used both a good bit but admit my experience with the 338 is not as long or extensive as with the 300. In similar rifles the 300 kicks less IME, and is a flatter shooting round. Before the days of BDC reticles and scope dialing this was important, maybe not so much today. I’ve used both calibers on enough species and conditions to feel there isn’t much difference in killing power, so I eventually dropped the 338 and have never regretted the decision. When I’ve carried one of my 300s I’ve never wished for something else, can’t say that about any other cartridge. In NA it has handled everything short of brown bear with no issues at all, and in Africa it worked perfectly on all sizes of plains game plus leopard. My old friend Allen Day even shot 2 buffalo with his after his 458 went haywire.
I did the 300 to 375 choice but many very experienced hunters are fans of the 33's as their main rifle. Others say not enough difference to tell between a 300 and 33, I do think there is a difference between a 30 and 375 at least in reaction to the shot. The larger calibers are usually more reliable in producing a blood trail if one is needed. But this depends largely on shot placement and bullet performance.

A 300 I can go for about a box of shells the 338 less but the 375 may be even more tolerable than the 300s. The 340 Weatherby is over my recoil tolerance level for any sustained shooting. Varies with stock fit and weight so this is just a general observation for my tolerances.

Thanks buddy!

Yes Indeed. I've said this before and it's true. I have an irrational affection for the 300 WM. I've always liked the looks of the loaded round. I've always been impressed with 180 gr. bullets at 3100 fps ( at least ).
And the 200s ain't far behind.

I'm glad to read so many here (hear blush) share my 'likin' for the 300 WM. I don't care WHAT... WHO says about it, I like it!!

Also I've had a real respect for the B B C even tho I've never fired one. They ARE/WERE good.

Jerry
I ordered some of those Bitterroot Bonded Cores from a friend on the fire, they were lost in the mail and we never recovered them... Made me sad as I really wanted to use them..

Hey, I just tell it how I see it. I'd be more concerned with people paying ridonkulous prices for things like Cutting Edge Bullets. Those are the people to be concerned about lol
I'm just learning that you can give up a little weight with a Monolithic bullet, because they shed ZERO weight.

That is the point the old-timers miss. They think that when you switch to a copper mono bullet, it should be the same weight as their traditional lead bullet. Such thinking then means the copper bullet is shot slow, which gives up a lot of its performance potential, both in trajectory and terminal performance.

Indeed, the mono bullet doesn't shed weight. If you want a 150gn bullet to pass through your animal, a copper bullet need only start at 150gn. However a lead bullet needs to start at 200gn, because it is going to immediately start shedding weight upon impact. By going down in weight, you pick up speed, which gives better trajectory and better killing power.

Bottom line: you can easily go down to a 150gn bullet in your 300WM. Fast, flat, and deadly!

JMHO
I ordered some of those Bitterroot Bonded Cores from a friend on the fire, they were lost in the mail and we never recovered them... Made me sad as I really wanted to use them..

I got lucky, cause a couple folks like Bob and RinB were able to stock me up pretty well and I did decent searching a few online places. Got a decent stash of ones I know I’ll use. If you have have a certain cartridge in mind, let me know and I’ll send you some. I don’t mind sharing a few. I don’t shoot groups with them, I just work up my load with a Partition, match speed with the BBC and fire a group at 300 with the Partitions and a BBC. So far it’s been pretty easy.
Originally Posted by shinbone
I'm just learning that you can give up a little weight with a Monolithic bullet, because they shed ZERO weight.

That is the point the old-timers miss. They think that when you switch to a copper mono bullet, it should be the same weight as their traditional lead bullet. Such thinking then means the copper bullet is shot slow, which gives up a lot of its performance potential, both in trajectory and terminal performance.

Indeed, the mono bullet doesn't shed weight. If you want a 150gn bullet to pass through your animal, a copper bullet need only start at 150gn. However a lead bullet needs to start at 200gn, because it is going to immediately start shedding weight upon impact. By going down in weight, you pick up speed, which gives better trajectory and better killing power.

Bottom line: you can easily go down to a 150gn bullet in your 300WM. Fast, flat, and deadly!

JMHO

Shinbone, those are excellent and undeniable points until you start shooting beyond 500 yards.....then a somewhat heavier bullet with a better BC starts to come into it’s own!

Not a point of contention, but......at what point does one become an “old timer”? wink memtb

Thanks buddy!

Yes Indeed. I've said this before and it's true. I have an irrational affection for the 300 WM. I've always liked the looks of the loaded round. I've always been impressed with 180 gr. bullets at 3100 fps ( at least ).
And the 200s ain't far behind.

I'm glad to read so many hear share my 'likin' for the 300 WM. I don't care WHAT... WHO says about it, I like it!!

Also I've had a real respect for the B B C even tho I've never fired one. The ARE/WERE good.

Jerry

.300 Win Mag is my all-time favorite. Closely followed by the .338 Win Mag. My .30-375R might take them over though.
Not a point of contention, but......at what point does one become an “old timer”? wink memtb

I'm wondering about this too. I'm 38, and my body feels 68.
they shed ZERO weight.

Indeed, the mono bullet doesn't shed weight.

Internet myth.

JMHO

No. Do you base this on experience or?

I got lucky, cause a couple folks like Bob and RinB were able to stock me up pretty well and I did decent searching a few online places. Got a decent stash of ones I know I’ll use. If you have have a certain cartridge in mind, let me know and I’ll send you some. I don’t mind sharing a few. I don’t shoot groups with them, I just work up my load with a Partition, match speed with the BBC and fire a group at 300 with the Partitions and a BBC. So far it’s been pretty easy.

Happy birthday and thanks for your service brother man!!

Where are you guys getting ole Billy's bullets? Were they actually any good?
Posted By: jwall Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/05/19

I'm wondering about this too. I'm 38, and my body feels 68.

I'm FIXIN to turn 70 ! > hint < shocked

you gotta ways to go..... get after it. grin

Jerry

Hey bro, thank you, appreciate that!

Those bullets probably haven't been made in about 15-20 years. As far as how good they are, depends on who you ask I guess. I treat them like I was taught by Bob, shoot them fast, through fast twist guns that run them hard and they are WICKED game bullets. They will not lose more than a few grains weight no matter what you shoot them in. The bonding, copper and lead used to build them was first class. Bob said you cannot drive them too fast and I believe them. I have fired 132 grain bullets out of my 7mm Mashburn at 3600 and they came out about as perfect as they come, holding onto nearly a 3/4" frontal area while only shedding 10-15 grains of weight loss.

I have been using the 175's out of an 8 twist Mashburn recently and the wound channels are unreal. Like a Berger or AMax but you would usually find a balled up bullet in the far side. That big frontal area will usually limit it in exits on heavy hided animals like elk, but to be honest, I don't care. I have had more one shot DRT's on chest his with BBC's than with anything else.

They aren't boattail match bullets though, so most folks wouldn't shoot them today if they could. For me, I like them, they work at the 0-500 ranges I hunt in. They shoot like a Partition so I usually load 10 BBC's and 20 Partitions when I go hunting and come home with 9 BBC's most times and all the Partitions. Sorry for the long rant, but if you find them, buy them, I will always take them. A 100 BBC's will last me a long time. I could probably use 20 of them to figure out my load and have 15 left to kill with. But again, I am not shooting steel with them or stuff like that, they just get planted into fur.

Hey bro, thank you, appreciate that!

Those bullets probably haven't been made in about 15-20 years. As far as how good they are, depends on who you ask I guess. I treat them like I was taught by Bob, shoot them fast, through fast twist guns that run them hard and they are WICKED game bullets. They will not lose more than a few grains weight no matter what you shoot them in. The bonding, copper and lead used to build them was first class. Bob said you cannot drive them too fast and I believe them. I have fired 132 grain bullets out of my 7mm Mashburn at 3600 and they came out about as perfect as they come, holding onto nearly a 3/4" frontal area while only shedding 10-15 grains of weight loss.

I have been using the 175's out of an 8 twist Mashburn recently and the wound channels are unreal. Like a Berger or AMax but you would usually find a balled up bullet in the far side. That big frontal area will usually limit it in exits on heavy hided animals like elk, but to be honest, I don't care. I have had more one shot DRT's on chest his with BBC's than with anything else.

They aren't boattail match bullets though, so most folks wouldn't shoot them today if they could. For me, I like them, they work at the 0-500 ranges I hunt in. They shoot like a Partition so I usually load 10 BBC's and 20 Partitions when I go hunting and come home with 9 BBC's most times and all the Partitions. Sorry for the long rant, but if you find them, buy them, I will always take them. A 100 BBC's will last me a long time. I could probably use 20 of them to figure out my load and have 15 left to kill with. But again, I am not shooting steel with them or stuff like that, they just get planted into fur.

Are you talking about my Mentor, Bob Faucett?
The BBC bullets were excellent, Bob Hagel's favorite. The Kodiak bullet is the closest I have found to the original BBC with the Woodleigh a close second.

I had several long phone conversations with Bill Steigers about buying his company and working with him before he retired. He basically talked me out of it saying that I would work all the time for minimum wages and that he would want a whole lot of money for the name and the rights. I still wonder if he did me a favor or not?
I agree Tejano, those, along with the Northforks were close to a BBC.

I thought the same when I spoke with Bill. I almost feel like the old codger didn’t think anyone could make them as well as him. Matter of fact, the only person he taught that I’m aware of is Grizzly Bullets. They are identical to BBCs and I’m lucky to have a few 100 of the .358 250 grain Bullets waiting for the new Newton to get built.

7.62, no I’m speaking about Bobby Farese.

I wonder what happened to Bob's substantial stash of BBC's after he passed? I Sure miss having Bob around.
Originally Posted by BWalker

I wonder what happened to Bob's substantial stash of BBC's after he passed? I Sure miss having Bob around.

He actually didn't have a ton of them left over when he passed. I have a decent stash of 250 BBC's for my 375 that came from him. He had a decent stash of 130's for the 270 and 160's for his Mashburn. He'd kinda paired down most of his stuff to what he used the most.

And AMEN to missing him around here and in real life. This time of the year was the best to call and jaw jack with him. Or heck, really anytime of the year. Except for Spring and Summer... Good luck catching him much then, he was usually fishing like a maniac!
BFaucett passed? when???
They are talking about BobinNH.
Posted By: jwall Re: .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag - 12/06/19

7.62, no I’m speaking about Bobby Farese.

^^^^^ On This Same Page.

Jerry
Got it, thank you.
I find the 338 much more pleasant to shoot then any 300 win or wby mag. It's not even close.

JMHO

While I agree that you should go with a bullet weight in a mono that gives high terminal velocity, that 150 gr 308 bullet leaves a lot to be desired at long range for wind drift due to piss poor BC.

As to the 300 vs 338, I've had both & as many as 5 338's at one time.

In equal weight rifles with comparable bullet weights for caliber, recoil is similar as is trajectory, regardless of what some may think. There are some very high BC 250 gr bullets available for the 338.

I will take the 338 all day, every day, & as others have pointed out, it works fine in a 22" barrel.

I've had it in very light Brown Precision stocks which is fine for hunting & brutal from a bench, wood stocks, & McM stocks. I prefer a heavier synthetic stock like a McM, & then recoil is not an issue IMO.

The stock that I like best is the Sako Classic with regular fill.

And if you decide to step up to hunting bear after the elk & moose, I most certainly prefer the 338.

Most that I've had are easy to load for & accurate.

IMO, To get the most out of a 300, you need a long action with a long magazine & the rifle throated to seat bullets out further than standard throats & magazines usually allow.

JME, YMMV

MM
Really the same is true of a .338.. I have shot sheep to 500 yards with my .300 shot in 3"high, it drops less than two feet at 500.. I rarely shoot that far but this was a do or die situation.. I have killed several elk at 400 with the same combo.. .338's are fine, but for my hunting they just don't cut it.. I have several 300's all excellent shooters.. My .338's have gone down the road, do have one .340.. I like it better than the .338.. But don't rely on it very much..
For 15-20 years or so, I had both: several different versions of .300 magnums, as well as a couple of different .338 mags. During that period, one or both usually went with me to elk camp each year. Without checking my hunting journal, I would guess that I shot about half a dozen bull elk with each caliber during that time period.

I have never shot an elk much beyond 300 yards, and most have been between 100 and 200. If there was discernible difference in terminal performance between the two calibers, I never noticed it. The first bull that I shot with a .338 Win Mag (at about 20 yards) ran just about as far as any of those that I have killed with three different iterations of .300 mags.

When I reached my mid- 60s, I got tired of the recoil from the .338s, and I traded them off. When I turned 75, I gave my last .300 Win Mag to my stepson.

These days, I hunt elk with either a .30-06 or an improved version of the .338-06, and I am already thinking about just using a 6.5 PRC for all my big game hunting.
Different strokes for different folks. I am not a trained sniper nor do I need to shoot beyond 300 yards, so the 338 is the better tool for my hunting. Better terminal performance with less powder and still very flat trajectory. Besides, if the 30-06 and 375 H&H could make a love child, it would be the 338 WM. For the biggest animals in NA, it's perfect.
As per always,bullets matter wayyyyyyyy the fhuqk more than headstamps. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The 250gr .338" will grant a .685 BC,which very much pales to .30cal 225gr .777 BC or 230gr .823 BC...or the 250gr .878 BC. Hint.

No need to stretch a throat,though it's a common misconception. (3) different projectiles,to a like Smooch,in the same rifle...though yielding grossly different COAL. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass the 7mm's and hold the Fluff. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
As per always,bullets matter wayyyyyyyy the fhuqk more than headstamps. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The 250gr .338" will grant a .685 BC,which very much pales to .30cal 225gr .777 BC or 230gr .823 BC...or the 250gr .878 BC. Hint.

No need to stretch a throat,though it's a common misconception. (3) different projectiles,to a like Smooch,in the same rifle...though yielding grossly different COAL. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass the 7mm's and hold the Fluff. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Would you mind sharing some pics of elk you’ve killed with 7mm “hold the fluff”? Obliged

PS, surely you have copious amounts of pics, since you are such a “camera” guy... laffin
Here, for example, I’ll get us started... sub .2 bc...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Will getcha this, if you can get your lazy cuunt off the couch, or live in a locale that holds elk... 🤣
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Compare? As far as absolute killing ability most bottleneck cartridges from 6.5 swede to 375H&H are good for everything in North America. Major differences in performance are probably due to marksmanship more than ballistics. You don't need a 300 or 338 for moose and elk, a 3006 is plenty. Now if you want it that is another story...

I have not noticed a difference in "killing ability" until I use my 45 70 or my 416 Rigby. When I shoot a bear with the Rigby they just drop.

Where I live and hunt the ammo is equally available, I handload so that is a moot point for me.

Recoil, to me, about the same. If I had to describe it I would say the 300 is more of a punch and the 338 is more of a shove.

As I said they are both effective. I prefer the 338 for the heavier bullet which I have found flies longer, hit's harder, and is effected less by wind than a 300. Drop is moot because one memorizes the drop of your load and bullet and have that holdover, whether it is 7 or 14 inches is not material.

Variety is good, but I would be very attentive to how a stock fit me in those two cartridges.

Good luck with your quest.
Originally Posted by okie john
Both are excellent cartridges that will do a great job for you. Both also kick pretty hard, so you’ll need a well-designed stock with a good recoil pad. A Ruger boat-paddle stock is not where I’d start.

Okie John

+1
I have a Ruger M77 Boat Paddle in 300 Win Mag, A model 70 in 300 Win mag, a Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag, and a Winchester Model 70 in 338 Win Mag. I can't tell the difference in recoil from 150 Grain out of 300 Win Mag to 250 Grain Noslers out of the 338 Win Mag. The little mossberg comes in at 7 pounds scoped and loaded and I cannot tell the difference between the heavier rifles. My Vanguard 300 Weatherby is much more noticeable.
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
I have a Ruger M77 Boat Paddle in 300 Win Mag, A model 70 in 300 Win mag, a Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag, and a Winchester Model 70 in 338 Win Mag. I can't tell the difference in recoil from 150 Grain out of 300 Win Mag to 250 Grain Noslers out of the 338 Win Mag. The little mossberg comes in at 7 pounds scoped and loaded and I cannot tell the difference between the heavier rifles. My Vanguard 300 Weatherby is much more noticeable.

I do like some paddles.

paddles, not sure about a 150 in the 30, being the same as a 250 in the 33. My .338 will leave the imprint of the recoil pad in your shoulder. Looks like a steak off the grill. Make me wonder what a 9.3-300WM would feel like.

Attached picture PB_1573443696845.png
Attached picture PB_1573443695318.png
[quote=Rugerfan4374]I have a Ruger M77 Boat Paddle in 300 Win Mag, A model 70 in 300 Win mag, a Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag, and a Winchester Model 70 in 338 Win Mag. I can't tell the difference in recoil from 150 Grain out of 300 Win Mag to 250 Grain Noslers out of the 338 Win Mag. The little mossberg comes in at 7 pounds scoped and loaded and I cannot tell the difference between the heavier rifles. My Vanguard 300 Weatherby is much more noticeable.

That's strange. I could tell the difference in recoil between 150gr and 200gr loads in same .300Magnum rifle. Perhaps my shoulder and cheekbone are more sensitive?
[quote=Rugerfan4374]I have a Ruger M77 Boat Paddle in 300 Win Mag, A model 70 in 300 Win mag, a Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag, and a Winchester Model 70 in 338 Win Mag. I can't tell the difference in recoil from 150 Grain out of 300 Win Mag to 250 Grain Noslers out of the 338 Win Mag. The little mossberg comes in at 7 pounds scoped and loaded and I cannot tell the difference between the heavier rifles. My Vanguard 300 Weatherby is much more noticeable.

That's strange. I could tell the difference in recoil between 150gr and 200gr loads in same .300Magnum rifle. Perhaps my shoulder and cheekbone are more sensitive?

That wasnt ne that wrote that. I said I COULD tell a difference in shooting them.
© 24hourcampfire