Home
I've been shooting and hunting for a few years now (I didn't grow up doing either). I own two centerfire rifles - a .223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. Both are typical sporter weight rifles with 6x scopes. I've hunted coyotes and taken a few deer, and I've been happy with both rifles. I've been saving up for a new gun, and now I have enough saved up and I'm not sure what to get. I have thought about getting a second big game rifle. This year I'm hoping to draw an antlerless elk tag here in South Dakota, and I feel confident using my 6.5 creed for that, but I wonder what would happen if I had an issue with my rifle during elk season. Seems like a second rifle in a big game caliber would be useful. Plus, my wife is interested in starting to hunt with me and we could use another rifle for that.

What do you guys think? Have you ever needed a backup rifle on a hunt?

Also, I can think of two different approaches to getting another rifle. I could get another 6.5 creedmoor - that way I can use the same ammo between both rifles. Also, 6.5 creedmoor ammo is cheap and fun to shoot. I wouldn't want to get the exact same rifle, so maybe I could go in a different direction with it, but I'm still in the early stages of brainstorming.

The other approach would be to get something in a more powerful caliber - something that's a clear step up from the creedmoor like 7mm rem mag. This could be nice if I someday desire to extend my hunting range beyond my current 300 yards. Still, I don't know how often I'd actually shoot the thing. Ammo costs more, recoil is worse, and I don't have access to a 1000 yard shooting range.

Any suggestions? Any other info that would be helpful for me to provide?
Welcome to the forum. You have come to the wrong place to ask a question like that. It's like walking into a bar and asking if you need a drink.
On the serious side, if I was you and didn't have lots of rifles and reloading stuff, I would buy another Creed (this from someone who doesn't have one or want one). It is easy to shoot, doesn't cost much and is probably stupid accurate right out of the box.
Shoot a 300wm before buying one. I'm not recoil shy, but it's definitely a different level of thump from a 6.5 that you need time to get comfortable with. (Aka get over thinking about where the scope rim is...)

A 280 or 708 can shoot 170-175 grain bullets... partitions, a-frames, etc. That's a big step up from most 6.5cm ammo without going magnum. (6.5 with 129 interbond is my primary deer gun.)

Edit: CDNN had super cheap synthetic stocked M77 Hawkeyes in 280 if interested in that route.
Never needed a backup rifle. If buying another given your parameters, I'd buy another Creedmoor. Or if just wanting something different, the CDNN Ruger Hawkeye in 280 as mentioned would be quite nice. You've learned that shooting is much more fun when shooting smaller cartridges, it took me way longer to learn that.
.30-06 or 7Mag of some flavor?
Less is more. If going bigger a 7mm-08 is awesome in every way.
I prefer a bigger bore caliber. Current option include a 338 Federal, Marlin 1894SS in 44 mag, a Winchester 1886 and Springfield carbine in 45-70, and a Sharps carbine in 50-70 Govt.
Being stuck at home has lead to me watching a bunch of hunting shows. I am disappointed to see how often the shoot deer and how far off they run. I expect deer to drop where they stood and if they run out of my sight I suspect a miss. I understand that a lot of guys are recoil shy but I never even notice it when shooting at deer.
Besides, it is only one shot.
Pick the caliber based on the quarry and the distance. Still hard to beat the 30-06 with 165 grain bullets for deer.
For me a long shot is over 100 yards. The last two were both under 30 yards. In 30+ deer I only shot two over 100 yards. One at 110 with a 12 gauge Ithaca slug gun and one at 130 with an open sighted Marlin 1895 (45-70, 300 JHP reloads).
Its un-American to not have a 30-06
Human pine tree: I also wish to welcome you to the CampFire.
I have literally dozens of Big Game Rifles and I am leaning toward recommending to you a Rifle in caliber 7mm Remington Magnum for your Elk Hunting and as a Rifle you can use when you need to hand off that 6.5 Creedmore to your wife!
My only hesitancy is if you ever wish to mosey on over to Montana or Wyoming for Elk then the prospects of running across a Grizzly Bear is becoming more and more frequent.
Last few years I have had three friends with dangerously close and more than one conflict with Grizzlies here in SW Montana.
I was along (unarmed!) a few years ago on a Hunt with my friend who had a Mt. Goat tag. No sooner did he harvest a Mt. Goat here in SW Montana and as we were cleaning it we looked downhill to a small clearing and therein was a large Grizzly pawing at the grass and looking up our way. He was shooting a Colt Ultra-Light Rifle in 270 Winchester. With the smell of blood and entrails upon us and around us we went in to scramble mode to get that Mt. Goat processed and into our pack frames.
I have been considering "upgrading" my 7mm Remington Magnum Elk Rifle to a 300 Magnum of some sort along with heavier bullets.
So from me its 7mm Remington Magnum or 300 Magnum of some sort for your next Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Let me be the first and probably only:

You don't NEED another rifle.

grin
.270 Win or .30/06
Originally Posted by RickBin

grin

Blasphemy!!!!!
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I'm leaning towards another creedmoor, if you couldn't tell from my first post. But I'm open to being convinced. My current 6.5 rifle is a run of the mill Howa 1500 - maybe I could try something different. I might have a hard time justifying a complete duplicate. Maybe something with a heavier barrel that is more fun to shoot from the bench?

The 7mm-08 or 280 idea is interesting. If I reloaded, or if factory ammo was available for heavier bullets in 7-08 (maybe it is and I just don't know where to look), that would be more appealing. The ammo availability is an even bigger issue with 280. A 30-06 has the advantage of cheap and available ammo, but if I'm going to step up in recoil I sort of think I should step up to a 7mm mag.

VarmintGuy, thanks for the advice about heavier calibers. We don't have bears of any variety here in the Black Hills, so I haven't given that much thought.
Add a .30-06 and you're all set. Don't fall for the stupid advice of a .280, 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem mag. as none are more capable on bigger game than the .30-06 and they all cost way more to shoot if you don't reload, which it sounds like you don't. You can buy .30-06 ammo in several brands and bullet weghts at Wal-Mart for 19.00 a box while you'll pay 28.00 a box for 7mm-08, 28.00 - 40.00 per box for 7mm mag. and they don't carry the semi obsolete .280 ammo at all.
You are skating on thin ice with that paltry lineup.

I'm not even sure someone with just two is allowed to post here, or even lurk. You've confessed, now you need to work on your problem.
Originally Posted by Showdog75

Yeah because it's such a serious step up from the 6.5 Creed. laugh

grin

That's like shooting yourself in the foot.

Hey, I hope everyone is doing well.
You'll be further ahead if you just get good with the rifle you have and save your money for hunting.
If your wife is interested in hunting/shooting.... get another rifle. its only money.

If you are thinking elk..... as you see above.... a 30-06 would be a reasonable choice. The 270 or 280 also.

If you do enough shooting the recoil question goes away.

I like the idea of you shooting some possible rifles before you buy. Ask people. Do the due diligence.

Having a backup rifle is not a bad idea. Good rifles usually don't need back ups. but ..............

before I hunt deer in the fall I make sure I have 2 of my rifles ready to go. The one I expect to use, and a spare... at home.
Its an excuse to shoot both of em at the range.

the crew I hunt with dumped verbal abuse on me when I switched rifles in mid week....so I asked them, 'in baseball don't you sometimes change pitchers?' 3 of the times I did that I took a deer within 2 days.

Adding another rifle is a good problem to have....
Originally Posted by moosemike
You'll be further ahead if you just get good with the rifle you have and save your money for hunting.

I get that. However, I drive a 94 Toyota Camry and don't go on fancy vacations (and I'm lucky enough to have steady employment right now), so for the time being my finances can handle another gun.

Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Showdog75

Yeah because it's such a serious step up from the 6.5 Creed. laugh

Yeah, my concern is that the caliber should probably be different enough to make it worth the trouble of dealing with two different kinds of ammo.
IF you are going to go up in caliber/power and given your criteria of not reloading a 30-06 or 308 both have relatively cheap ammo available. There are lots of opinions but most of us who have been around this block a few times would suggest that magnums have their place but are not necessary in most cases. A 30-06 will take anything in NA and not rattle your fillings.
human pine tree, great country where you live. I've visited the area some and wouldn't mind it for retirement.

'd go along with the advice for a 7MM Rem Mag or a .30/06. They're about equally effective and will handle all your hunting chores.

It is great to hear of a hunter and shooter that didn't grow up doing either. We need more guys like you in the hunting and shooting community.
Yes. I only read the title of this thread, but yes you need another rifle.
Grab a 7mm Remington Mag. Plenty of options for ammo.
GreggH
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Add a .30-06 and you're all set. Don't fall for the stupid advice of a .280, 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem mag. as none are more capable on bigger game than the .30-06 and they all cost way more to shoot if you don't reload, which it sounds like you don't. You can buy .30-06 ammo in several brands and bullet weghts at Wal-Mart for 19.00 a box while you'll pay 28.00 a box for 7mm-08, 28.00 - 40.00 per box for 7mm mag. and they don't carry the semi obsolete .280 ammo at all.

We have this thing called the internet that makes it easy to buy ammo... and yes, he could get $19 06 ammo, but then there will be a whole other thread about "falling for the dumb advice" of using old cup/core bullets, etc. And please don't hit us with the "if he forgets his ammo 30-06 will be at the gas station routine."

He can get 150 grain partitions in 280 for $32-35 online, often with free shipping if timed right, and it's just as easy to order higher end, 170-175 stuff if he doesn't want to load it himself. Any Cabelas or BPS or Gander is also going to carry rhe 165 RN Corelokt. I have nothing against 06 or cheap ammo at all. My issue ia that people are advised every day on this forum to spend tons of money on new stuff, but then when it's convenient, the Wal-Mart card gets played. C'mon...
308 Win or 30-06 Sprg
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

We have this thing called the internet that makes it easy to buy ammo... and yes, he could get $19 06 ammo, but then there will be a whole other thread about "falling for the dumb advice" of using old cup/core bullets, etc. And please don't hit us with the "if he forgets his ammo 30-06 will be at the gas station routine."

He can get 150 grain partitions in 280 for $32-35 online, often with free shipping if timed right, and it's just as easy to order higher end, 170-175 stuff if he doesn't want to load it himself. Any Cabelas or BPS or Gander is also going to carry rhe 165 RN Corelokt. I have nothing against 06 or cheap ammo at all. My issue ia that people are advised every day on this forum to spend tons of money on new stuff, but then when it's convenient, the Wal-Mart card gets played. C'mon...

Yeah but how much trigger time is he going to get at $32.per box? With an -06 or 308 he can buy a bunch of milsurp ammo and blast away. Nobody is suggesting he use cheap stuff to hunt with.
The correct answer to ANY thread asking "do I need another rifle", is always yes. May I suggest a 30 cal of some flavor such as a .308 or 30-06. They are both very easy to find ammo and/or reloading components for, and are very versatile.
I’d look at a 30-06 Tikka or one of those 280 Ruger M77 that have been mentioned. Your wife could use your current 6.5 and both rifles would be a step up in power from the 6.5 without punishing recoil and ammo available everywhere for the 30-06 and most places for the 280. The Tikka would be a lighter in weight rifle from the Ruger and more accurate out of the box. The Ruger while a bit heavier will be a very robust rifle with less recoil than the 30-06 Tikka. Welcome to the forum it’s a great resource for anything outdoors and more.
I have come to like using rather large calibers for much of my hunting. Justification for owning a .375 H&H was a point of discussion on Canadian Gun Nutz forum recently. This is the best response of them all. I just had to share here... thanks Dogleg!

Originally Posted by Dogleg
The best reason for getting a .375 is that it is very likely to Shanghai you and drag you off to Africa. If yours exhibits this type of behavior; resistance is futile.

Another reason is more practical. If you don’t have a .375 what exactly are you supposed to do if someone asks to see your .375? Oh sure, you can pretend you’re choking and run out of the room, but that only works once. After that you’ll just be standing there looking like you got caught trying to run a dog and pony show with no pony. It’s even worse if you’re married. Just imagine how embarrassed your wife would be if the truth came out. People would treat her with pity; perhaps to the point of giving her savages, bushnells , used articles of clothing and. small cash donations while uttering things like “ Oh honey, I had no idea that things were so bad, you should have called”. You can’t just think about yourself all the time!
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Yeah but how much trigger time is he going to get at $32.per box? With an -06 or 308 he can buy a bunch of milsurp ammo and blast away. Nobody is suggesting he use cheap stuff to hunt with.

Probably the same trigger time he gets with the 6.5cm? When you catch them online and buy in a bit of bulk, the 140/150 corelokt aren't priced too bad and they're no slouch on deer, either. But if I was heading west for a planned hunt, I'd also want a good bit of time with my actual game round. Anyway, we agree, re: no need for a magnum. I just don't see the 280 has semi-obsolete because of where I can't buy ammo. If Walmart is the metric, dozens of cartridges are on their way to the graveyard.
308 Winchester
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Probably the same trigger time he gets with the 6.5cm? When you catch them online and buy in a bit of bulk, the 140/150 corelokt aren't priced too bad and they're no slouch on deer, either. But if I was heading west for a planned hunt, I'd also want a good bit of time with my actual game round. Anyway, we agree, re: no need for a magnum. I just don't see the 280 has semi-obsolete because of where I can't buy ammo. If Walmart is the metric, dozens of cartridges are on their way to the graveyard.
It's not just where you can buy ammo that makes the .280 semi obsolete. It's also the limited number of rifles chambered for it and the limited selection of factory loads. The small volume of sales in rifles and ammo results in comparatively high ammo prices for a cartridge with virtually no practical advantage over the much more popular .30-06 or .270.
Just because I enjoy adding a bit of confusion, CDNN also has Ruger Hawkeyes in 270, 308 and 30-06 for $499.

Heck of a deal!

Although I'd still just get another 6.5 Creed - but a really nice one. Justification includes the benefit of having the same ammo when on a 2- person hunt so when one leaves their ammo on the kitchen table when packing for the trip, it doesn't become a crisis.

Also, because every gun fits each individual differently, it would be nice to compare the two and see which one fits you best.
Originally Posted by czech1022
Just because I enjoy adding a bit of confusion, CDNN also has Ruger Hawkeyes in 270, 308 and 30-06 for $499.

Heck of a deal!

Although I'd still just get another 6.5 Creed - but a really nice one. Justification includes the benefit of having the same ammo when on a 2- person hunt so when one leaves their ammo on the kitchen table when packing for the trip, it doesn't become a crisis.

Also, because every gun fits each individual differently, it would be nice to compare the two and see which one fits you best.

I think, randomly though, the 06 at CDNN had a shorter barrel than the rest? Could be misremembering. I have one of the 280s at a smith right now getting cerakoted.

Blackheart - In the last year, I've seen new Model 70s, 700s, and M77s chambered in 280. Are they doing the volume of 270 or 300wm, not a chance. But I think it's here to stay.

grin

Nope ! I am in total agreement.

drover
Count me as another vote for 280 or 30-06. Both are a step upward in power from your creedmore.

A 7-08 is almost a 280 & 308 is almost an 06 if you absolutely must have a short action.

It seems that 280 Ackleys are catching on. They are loaded to pressures where the 280 could/should be. It's almost a 7mm magnum but without quite as much noise & recoil. There are more companies than just Nosler for factory ammo now. Is it a fad or will it last?
If the wife isnt interested in either of the rifles you currently have, make this about getting her a gun, let her pick it out.....

Then start over.
Yes I’ve needed a backup rifle once. The crosshairs broke and fell in the bottom of the scope!

Heck of a deal!

I think, randomly though, the 06 at CDNN had a shorter barrel than the rest? Could be misremembering. I have one of the 280s at a smith right now getting cerakoted.

Blackheart - In the last year, I've seen new Model 70s, 700s, and M77s chambered in 280. Are they doing the volume of 270 or 300wm, not a chance. But I think it's here to stay.
Winchester is no longer chambering the .model 70 in .280 and neither is Ruger in the M77. I've seen the .280 come and go in limited runs from about every manufacturer over the years but it has not been popular enough to remain a standard chambering for long. I have no idea whether Remington still offers it or not. I don't keep track of Remington's junk. Regardless it's not popular enough to have a wide selection of factory ammo offered or to bring the price down to that of .270 or .30-06 and it never will be.
I think the 375 H&H is a great idea. Way big step up in power and can still use lighter bullets and lower recoil loads if necessary. I went to Africa for the first time shortly after getting my first one.

Heck of a deal!

Winchester is no longer chambering the .model 70 in .280 and neither is Ruger in the M77. I've seen the .280 come and go in limited runs from about every manufacturer over the years but it has not been popular enough to remain a standard chambering for long. I have no idea whether Remington still offers it or not. I don't keep track of Remington's junk. Regardless it's not popular enough to have a wide selection of factory ammo offered or to bring the price down to that of .270 or .30-06 and it never will be.

I don't disagree with your numbers, just word choice. Acquired taste? Sure. Anything with obsolete in it, no. Because it's useful enough and has enough of a following that it will never go away. So neither version of obsolete fits and modifying with semi doesn't fix that. Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack the thread... which is what everyone says after hijacking the thread 😇😂 So the last word on this is yours, Blackheart.
Thanks for all the suggestions! The Ruger Hawkeye is a cool gun. I've only owned a push-feed rifle, so just running the action on a Hawkeye is kind of fun. There's a wood-stocked 270 Hawkeye at a local gun store that my wife always says is "pretty." I'm always pleased with my one-inch groups with my Howa (it might be normal to you guys but I feel proud of myself every time), so I'm hesitant to purchase a rifle that will cause me to doubt my abilities by being less accurate. Whether it's fair or not, the overwhelming impression I get with the Ruger is that it's "accurate enough for hunting" but not to expect much more than that.

As far as the calibers go, the 30-06 is appealing. I've shot 30-06 rifles before and wasn't left traumatized. I've never shot a magnum of any kind - I will need to make some magnum-shooting friends and see if I'm man enough!
30-06 gets my vote.
Speaking of the wife, make sure the stock fits. Much more important than the exact chambering in a group of similar. Mine has shot a Browning A-Bolt Micro for about 20 years now. It's in 7mm-08 and fits. I load low range loads with the 120 Ballistic Tip and she's happy. Buck she shot last year was about 20 yds and he was never out of the field of view from shot to drop. Could have used a .260, or .308, or some other. Low Recoil loads are available in a variety of rounds if you do not load.

For you, NEED has no relevance in discussing the acquirement of an additional rifle. But since you laid the guidelines I'd add something fairly common but still a step up from the 6.5 . Probably 30-06. As far as deer hunting I view it as a "magnum" since the cartridges mentioned above do as good a job with less fuss and flame. It's a friggin hammer on deer with 150 grain bullets I know for a fact. Never shot an elk but expect one couldn't live through solid contact with an appropriate bullet from one.

And speaking of the wife, make sure the stock fits. You'll come to enjoy her success more than your own. Good luck.
As already been recommended, go 30-06. And get a Win M70, Ruger M77 or a Tikka T-3. Use 150 grain loads for your hunting in "bear-less" country, for less recoil, if that is a concern and factory 180 grain TTSX loads for hunting where the bears are. RJ

grin

Yes...he does.
Factory ammo for the 30-06 has something for everyone and every application,, it seems.
It is hard to walk into a sporting goods store that does not have 30-06 ammo on the shelf. Now there are low recoil loads available in addition to the wide range of bullet weights and types. Even more you reload.
I’d get a .308, it’s the natural progression up. Then, down the line, if you want to keep climbing the ladder (which you probably will) I’d get a 7 RM for your fourth. Or a .30 cal mag.
Originally Posted by human_pine_tree
Thanks for all the suggestions! The Ruger Hawkeye is a cool gun. I've only owned a push-feed rifle, so just running the action on a Hawkeye is kind of fun. There's a wood-stocked 270 Hawkeye at a local gun store that my wife always says is "pretty." I'm always pleased with my one-inch groups with my Howa (it might be normal to you guys but I feel proud of myself every time), so I'm hesitant to purchase a rifle that will cause me to doubt my abilities by being less accurate. Whether it's fair or not, the overwhelming impression I get with the Ruger is that it's "accurate enough for hunting" but not to expect much more than that.

As far as the calibers go, the 30-06 is appealing. I've shot 30-06 rifles before and wasn't left traumatized. I've never shot a magnum of any kind - I will need to make some magnum-shooting friends and see if I'm man enough!

Some Rugers out of the box are fine some need some tinkering or hand loading to get 1” groups. The Tikka is guaranteed to be more accurate out of the box.
The 6.5 CM would be more than sufficient for cow elk. A logical step up would be a std .30 such as 308 Win or 30-06, both excellent NA big game chambers. The 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag are so close in field ability, except 30-06 would provide more punch on very large game with its heavier bullet weights, while the 7mm RM would have advantages with 140-162 grain loadings for prairie game such as pronghorn and mule deer a county away and in any alpine setting where a flat shooting gun can save on hiking a bit further.
Pine Tree,

A backup rifle is a good idea... only needed one a couple of times for scopes that have failed. An extra scope sighted in with detachable mounts would have sufficed and been a lot easier to carry in the truck.

I'm in the .308 Win. and 30-06 camp since you don't reload. Or the 6.5 Creed in a different rifle. All three calibers have reasonably priced ammunition.

I'd take a look at the Tikka T3X, lighter than your Howa, probably be just as accurate (I've had a couple). The detachable magazines may be a plus where you hunt.

Always happy to hear from folks that are getting into hunting.

Jerry
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
I think the 375 H&H is a great idea. Way big step up in power and can still use lighter bullets and lower recoil loads if necessary. I went to Africa for the first time shortly after getting my first one.

You can “never” go wrong with a nice, lightweight .375 H &H! memtb
I'm surprised by the enthusiastic response for 30-06. I hadn't really considered it. I've spent a lot of time reading posts from people like Formidilosus and Big Stick, and much of what they say makes sense to me although I get that Big Stick bothers some people. They've got me drinking the 6.5 creedmoor kool-aid, and I even have one of the 6x SWFA scopes (it is great even though I almost never dial). My hunting partner is very skeptical of me using my creedmoor rifle on elk. But obviously I'm open to new ideas, or I wouldn't have asked this question.

My creedmoor rifle is heavy compared to lots of hunting rifles (weighs about 8.75 lbs all up). This is great for recoil, and I don't mind carrying it. I think maybe something lighter could be a good direction to go... use my current rifle for practice and as a second rifle, and maybe get something lighter for hiking around or for my wife to use. I'd probably go with another 6.5 creedmoor just to keep things similar and so that the lightweight rifle wouldn't be a big step up in recoil. Of course any rifle gets quite a bit heavier with these SWFA scopes.
If you just have to have a bigger rifle, I'd look for a bullet with a similar BC as the one you prefer in the 6.5, then look for a case that can shoot it to similar speeds. That way the trajectory will match up quite well. Just some looney thoughts.
I don't remember which amendment it is, but somewhere in the Bill of Rights it states, "Every man, who is a citizen of the United States, is required to own at least one bolt action rifle chambered in 30-06."

Take a hard look at a 200 grain bullet at 2550-2575 fps for the 30-06. It carries near 2000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy to 300 yards, and shoots flatter than you think.

Consider a Weatherby Vanguard S2, or Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather.
Originally Posted by buttstock
I don't remember which amendment it is, but somewhere in the Bill of Rights it states, "Every man, who is a citizen of the United States, is required to own at least one bolt action rifle chambered in 30-06 Or a Garand."

There fixed it for you...

Jerry
Originally Posted by pointer
If you just have to have a bigger rifle, I'd look for a bullet with a similar BC as the one you prefer in the 6.5, then look for a case that can shoot it to similar speeds. That way the trajectory will match up quite well. Just some looney thoughts.

Now you've given me math homework...

A 270 or 280 or 7mm-08 with certain loads would be close. I personally think there’s not too much difference under 300yards between the 6.5 and 30-06 to worry about it.
I've been shooting and hunting for a few years now (I didn't grow up doing either). I own two centerfire rifles - a .223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. Both are typical sporter weight rifles with 6x scopes. I've hunted coyotes and taken a few deer, and I've been happy with both rifles. I've been saving up for a new gun, and now I have enough saved up and I'm not sure what to get. I have thought about getting a second big game rifle. This year I'm hoping to draw an antlerless elk tag here in South Dakota, and I feel confident using my 6.5 creed for that, but I wonder what would happen if I had an issue with my rifle during elk season. Seems like a second rifle in a big game caliber would be useful. Plus, my wife is interested in starting to hunt with me and we could use another rifle for that.

What do you guys think? Have you ever needed a backup rifle on a hunt?

Also, I can think of two different approaches to getting another rifle. I could get another 6.5 creedmoor - that way I can use the same ammo between both rifles. Also, 6.5 creedmoor ammo is cheap and fun to shoot. I wouldn't want to get the exact same rifle, so maybe I could go in a different direction with it, but I'm still in the early stages of brainstorming.

The other approach would be to get something in a more powerful caliber - something that's a clear step up from the creedmoor like 7mm rem mag. This could be nice if I someday desire to extend my hunting range beyond my current 300 yards. Still, I don't know how often I'd actually shoot the thing. Ammo costs more, recoil is worse, and I don't have access to a 1000 yard shooting range.

Any suggestions? Any other info that would be helpful for me to provide?

It never hurts to have another rifle ready to go, so you aren't sitting at the range instead of hunting. It's a personal decision and no one can make it for you, so ultimately do what you want to do. Another 6.5 Creedmoor would be fine, maybe you could get a heavy barreled version. If there is another cartridge you have always wanted to try, then go for it... 243 Winchester, 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 308 Winchester, or the 7mm Remington Magnum like you suggested. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
I have a trio of stainless Ruger Hawkeyes that I think are good steps, as the 223, 6.5 CM, and 338 FED will work for anything that I'm likely to shoot in the lower 48.. I'm sure a 308 would work about as well as the 338 FED with 180 and 200 grain bullets and there are a lot more and less expensive factory ammo options for the 308.

When my Wife's niece was going to BHSU, she hunted coyotes and pdogs with a 223 and deer with a 30-30.
Never had a need for more than the .30-06, so far. And anything I have done with the ‘06 could have been done with the Creedmoor, too. I don’t spend much time stopping grizzly charges. But the ‘06 will do things the Creedmoor won’t, especially if one handloads. You may not ever need more than the Creedmoor. It will kill elk of any flavor with solid hits and reasonable ranges. But if you do need more than the Creedmoor, there is a very good chance the .30-06 will be all you need.

There is nothing that walks that wasn’t killed before magnum cartridges existed, and a whole lot of it takes a lot of money and effort to ever get within shooting distance of. Some guys buy “Africa rifles” who will never see Africa. Some buy elk rifles and will never hunt elk. Most who buy a rifle based on potential bear encounters will never even have a bear encounter, much less use that rifle to stop a charge.

Buy the rifle you want, in the chambering you want, for the purpose you will use it for, not for things you could possibly use it for someday, if you got rich or went native in Alaska. if either of those things happen, chances are you will find the resources to get whatever rifle you need. Until then, get something you enjoy and find useful now.
Get a real rifle!!
I grew up in Spearfish and still live in the Hills. You have all kinds of access to 1000 yard "ranges" in the form of all the public land surrounding you. Find a good chunk of BLM with a good backstop, don't shoot over roads or trails, get some steel, and bang away. And get a new rifle because 'Merica!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

^this^
Also you sounds very practical/smart with your choices of 223 and 6.5CM.
The 06 is your most practical smartest choice you can make.
My main rigs that come out are Tikka 223, tikka 6.5 CM, tikka 06.
The 270, 300 win, 9.3 stay in the safe
i would think that if you wanted to take a "backup" rifle on a hunt you would want it identical to your primary rifle. If you take a different gun and caliber as backup more than likely you will leave the wrong one in camp. Kind of dull but if it is just for backup otherwise if you are just looking for an excuse to buy another gun then go ahead and indulge with something different.
Welcome from the Black Hills, not too far south of you. Let me know if you need any ideas of places to shoot.

One idea would be to get a heavier rifle, also in 6.5 creedmoor. I know recoil is mild with the 6.5, but with a heavier rifle you could really focus on precision and shooting a ton. Who knows - you might find that you like that kind of shooting and start having more of an interest in long range. Then, in a few years you will have an excuse to buy a magnum when you want to reach out and get an elk at longer range.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The boys on my lease told me the same thing. I fixed that.
The wife watches those house remodeling shows on television and I've taken the same tactic with my own rifles by starting with good bones and improving what I already have. Honestly, I haven't seen a pinch of difference in how a deer falls over after I've shot them with a .30-30 or a .300 WM and anything in between. It doesn't need to be done all at once either. Swap out a Leupold to a Zeiss or a Nightforce. The mounts from a Weaver to a Conetrol. The trigger from a Walker to a Timney. The barrel to a Shilen. The stock to a Brown. The way I figure it, we don't have that long to be out rifle hunting here and what good is a safe full of other rifles if I can only use one at a time? Guaranteed that I'm going to be using a nice one when I'm out there. More than once I've read about you guys "thinning the herd" and I've got a few extras myself, but not enough for thinning just yet.
30-06 all day for what you describe.
HPT,

The three basic rifle categories most hunters should seek to cover is the varminter, medium hunting rifle, and thumper.

You have the varmiter and medium rifle categories covered. But for hunting large tough critters in wild country, something bigger's in order, in the range of the .338 Win mag to one of the modern .375's.

The .338 covers a wide range of hunting opportunities, and delivers sufficient energy at longer ranges for the largest North Americana or African plain's game.

Additionally, when hunting, I always take a backup, and have needed it more then once.
Considering your current firearms I would recommend a .30-06 or .308 Win for your seond big game rifle.My preference would the .30-06.

If you like exotic you could get a .280 AI. Very close to the same thing.

I would recommend you avoid magnums at this point. They are heavier, more costly and give little for all that bother.

After the .30-06 I would step up to a .338 Win mag and finally to a .375 H&H/375 Weatherby.

You can copy off mine... My two main hunting rifles are a 6.5 CM and a .30-06. With my chosen hunting loads, the .30-06 launches 180gr Accubonds at about the same speed the 6.5 CM launches 140gr Accubonds, making for a pretty much identical trajectory. Of course you can use slicker bullets in the 6.5, but I've had nothing but good terminal performance from the Accubonds.

So I'd probably recommend a .30-06 for your second rifle, it shares a similar trajectory with the 6.5 when loaded right, and is the first larger chambering that really represents somewhat of a step up from the 6.5 (although there's still plenty of crossover).
Really good advice. Give the 6.5 to Mom and you will have a .30-06 for yourself. If you like the rifle you have get another one just like it in .30-06. Factory loads are plentiful. The round is good enough for the game and predators found in the U.S.A. If you start reloading the work has already been done and published for .30-06. I've used a 7mm RM and if it is better than the .30-06 for an all round rifle I can't see it.
270 or 30-06 is never a wrong choice.
If you're going to keep hunting, you're eventually going to want a lighter weight rifle. Your wife would probably like a lighter weight rifle as well. You might as well stick with the 6.5 and buy something lighter weight. It depends on your budget, but a Tikka would shave a lot of weight off your setup, especially a superlite. There are plenty of other options, though, if Tikka doesn't float your boat.

Or go in a completely different direction and buy a lever action like a BLR. My wife thinks lever actions are "cuter."
When your wife told you that .270 Hawkeye was "pretty", you missed her big "hint"! ha A .270 will reach out, hit hard, has ammo all over God's Country, and the Hawkeye is a a tough one. Its not hard to get a Ruger Hawkeye to shoot 1" groups. You already posses the skill needed to shoot that well. And let me tell you, 1 inch groups "used to be the standard" for varmint rifles! ha A .270 is so close to a 30-06 on game, and so close to a 7mm Mag in trajectory, you will not regret it! "When" you start handloading ( you will LOVE IT) you can load up the 140 monos or 160PT for that .270 and slay buffalo! Just saying. I will add this, a 7mm Rem Mag is a very good long range deer rifle. But a .270 can keep up with it. A 30-06 with a 180/200gr can hurt an elk as easy as a 7mm Mag, and both calibers can be had in lighter, easier shooting rifles than a 7mm Mag. No flies on a 7MM Mag, just saying. Good luck to you, and let us know what you decided? Never, ever, defend "your choice", its your rifle, your money, and your Life! smile

PS Yes, you need a spare rifle. Yes I have needed one many times. Lots of reasons, some stupid, some funny, but all "needed" to save a hunt.
So my mind has gone through a number of scenarios and thought about a ton of options, and I'm actually leaning towards a .243 WIN. I can use my 6.5 CM as my primary rifle for elk (I can't help it - I'm a millennial), and the .243 can be a fun gun for my wife to shoot as well as me. We can both have a rifle for coyote hunting. I figure it can fill in even as an elk rifle in a pinch, although that would not be the main purpose.

I'm leaning towards a Tikka, but I wonder if its 1-10 twist would be limiting. The 90 grain Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo seems to be highly regarded as a hunting round, but I'm curious if there are other factory ammo choices that wouldn't work as well in a 1-10 twist barrel.
Do I need another big game rifle?

Well no. Need have nothing to do with it however. If you had a 30-06 you probably have all the rifle you NEED for about 95% of all the hunting you can do.
If you had a good semi-auto military style 308 you also now have a good fighting rifle so that brings you up to probably 98% of the things you would need.

But slaves are allowed what they need. Free Men buy what they want.

So buy guns for mission specific reasons. I buy and build myself guns because I LIKE them. I don't consider need at all.
I have 2 more on my "bucket list" and I have other guns that will do the job of the last 2 I want, and do it better. But that's not the point to me.
I want a Remington 141 in 35 Remington and I want a Ruger M96 in 44 mag. Both will work fine for my style of hunting but neither will shoot as accurately, as flat or are as powerful and many other guns I already have.

So what?

I am the weird guy the hunts (mostly successfully) 62 caliber with a flintlock . I am good enough with that rifle to hit antelope out to about 150 yards. So my 270 does it a LOT farther out as will my 300 magnum. But I don't enjoy killing them with those 2 rifles as much as I do with the flintlock
I LIKE it. That's all that matters to me. What others like is up to them.
Need is easily satisfied.
After that..............the real fun begins.
Let me be the wet blanket in this discussion.

Look, don't get me wrong. I WANT a new rifle. Need? That's a whole other thing.

With what you have already, you've got plenty of room to add another to the stable. I'm very partial to 30-06. However, let me give you some advice from a guy who bought his first rifle 40 years ago. There comes a time when you begin to realize there are ongoing costs involved. Besides normal shooting related costs in time, ammo, etc. You've got to clean a rifle every once in awhile, whether you shoot it or not. It takes up space; eventually the back of your closet won't be enough, and you'll have to buy your first safe. Those safes take up room, so eventually, you've got to figure floor space.

Me? I finished off a whole room for firearms and reloading. Now they're spilling back into my bedroom. I had a buddy die last year. His widow got help and it took over a week just to retrieve all the firearms from under beds, in drawers, etc. and get them all stacked in one bedroom. The bedroom was full when I went to look.

I reload, so for each new chambering, I've got dies to go along with the rifle. Then there are the bullets and maybe a different powder. All that costs and needs storage space.

I'm not saying don't buy any more rifles. I'm just saying that at some point the hidden ancillary costs of time and money for a rifle start to add up. I'm to the point where they're just is not enough time in the run-up to deer season to get all of the deer rifles properly sighted in and I'm now having to pick which ones I want to shoot at the whitetails right about now in order to have everything ready by mid-November.

Then I have all the other projects to contend with. There are rifles that I'm working on for accuracy. There are rifles that I need for personal defense. There are rifles just for [bleep]. (Do they have a season on [bleep] in your state?)

Mind you, I don't regret any of this-- at least not yet. The last time I moved, I spent a month getting the new room built and a whole weekend moving the stuff over. The next move, probably the last I'll make, will be a mother.
There's a wood-stocked 270 Hawkeye at a local gun store that my wife always says is "pretty."

This should be your next rifle because getting your wife squared away will buy you time and budget to get another rifle for yourself. THAT rifle should be a 30-06 because you can get good ammo for it without much hassle. That said, it's not as ubiquitous as some would have you believe.

For years, I believed that you could get decent 30-06 ammo almost anywhere that people hunt, which made the 30-06 a superb (possibly even morally superior) choice for the general-purpose rifle. But on the way to a pig hunt in northern California a few years ago, I stopped at the In-and-Out Market in Palo Cedro, CA, to buy a hunting license. I always check ammo in little roadside stores and this place had easily the weirdest inventory I’ve ever seen in one place, to wit:

1 box of 225 Winchester (never seen this in the wild)
1 box of S&B 5.6x52R (Euro name for the 22 Savage Hi-Power, had to Google it)
6 boxes of fresh Federal 25-06
6-8 boxes of Federal 7x57 Mauser 175 RN
10 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Winchester Short Magnum
6-8 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Remington Magnum
6-8 boxes of fresh Federal & Fiocchi 308 Winchester
3 boxes of fresh PPU 303 British
1 box of Hornady 32 Special
2 boxes of Federal 338 Winchester Magnum 250-grain Woodleigh
1 box of 358 Winchester 200-grain PPT
2 boxes of 375 RUM
3 boxes of Hornady 450 Marlin

They had plenty of service pistol ammo, rimfire, 7.62x39, 5.56 NATO, and assorted 12-gauge but only ONE box of 30-06. To add insult to injury, this box was American Eagle 147-grain FMJ. There was not one softpoint 30-06 cartridge for sale in the entire place.

My guide later told me that this place used to have an FFL but gave it up after state laws became too onerous, which explains a lot. As noted, some of the ammo was fresh so that's probably what people use most of the time. The rest must have been NOS. In this area, that makes a certain amount of sense given that you’re probably either shooting pigs inside of 150 yards or blacktail-mule-deer hybrids at fairly long range, but it was still jarring to see the 30-06 so badly under-represented. Seems almost unpatriotic...

So I've revised my stance on the whole “30-06 wins at logistics” thing.

Okie John
Spot on Shaman. That's why I've been in reduction mode. I'll still have more than I need when I'm finally done. I suppose if I were really taking it to bare minimum, I'd just keep my stainless Ruger 77 MkII .30-06, but I have to have a backup or two or three and I really can't not have any lever guns. That would be blasphemy.
Originally Posted by shaman
Let me be the wet blanket in this discussion.

Look, don't get me wrong. I WANT a new rifle. Need? That's a whole other thing.

With what you have already, you've got plenty of room to add another to the stable. I'm very partial to 30-06. However, let me give you some advice from a guy who bought his first rifle 40 years ago. There comes a time when you begin to realize there are ongoing costs involved. Besides normal shooting related costs in time, ammo, etc. You've got to clean a rifle every once in awhile, whether you shoot it or not. It takes up space; eventually the back of your closet won't be enough, and you'll have to buy your first safe. Those safes take up room, so eventually, you've got to figure floor space.

Me? I finished off a whole room for firearms and reloading. Now they're spilling back into my bedroom. I had a buddy die last year. His widow got help and it took over a week just to retrieve all the firearms from under beds, in drawers, etc. and get them all stacked in one bedroom. The bedroom was full when I went to look.

I reload, so for each new chambering, I've got dies to go along with the rifle. Then there are the bullets and maybe a different powder. All that costs and needs storage space.

I'm not saying don't buy any more rifles. I'm just saying that at some point the hidden ancillary costs of time and money for a rifle start to add up. I'm to the point where they're just is not enough time in the run-up to deer season to get all of the deer rifles properly sighted in and I'm now having to pick which ones I want to shoot at the whitetails right about now in order to have everything ready by mid-November.

Then I have all the other projects to contend with. There are rifles that I'm working on for accuracy. There are rifles that I need for personal defense. There are rifles just for [bleep]. (Do they have a season on [bleep] in your state?)

Mind you, I don't regret any of this-- at least not yet. The last time I moved, I spent a month getting the new room built and a whole weekend moving the stuff over. The next move, probably the last I'll make, will be a mother.

I've been dinking around with firearms for about 60 years. If I hadn't gone that route I probably would have spent my time/money chasing women. Probably be a syphilitic alcoholic by now. The guns saved me! Thank God for guns.
Yap, yap, yap, yap. Don’t over think this.

Get a good 30-06, find a load it likes with TTSXs, Partitions or Accubonds. Lay in a good stock of ammo that it likes (or components if you handload), and hunt for the rest of your life.

You are done.
GF1 for the win...
So my mind has gone through a number of scenarios and thought about a ton of options, and I'm actually leaning towards a .243 WIN. I can use my 6.5 CM as my primary rifle for elk (I can't help it - I'm a millennial), and the .243 can be a fun gun for my wife to shoot as well as me. We can both have a rifle for coyote hunting. I figure it can fill in even as an elk rifle in a pinch, although that would not be the main purpose.

No think more strategically:
Get another 6.5CM for both You and wife to enjoy together
or
Up size to at least a 30-06.
If you ain't got a 280, you ain't got schitt.

MM
I wouldn’t buy into any new cartridge without first spending some time at the range with one.
The 30-06 is going to be a much less pleasant rig to use, than your Creedmoor.

I’d find a rifle that will fit your wife and likely new hunting partner in 6.5 CM.
It will suffice as a “back up” rifle (I’ve never needed one)..... and be both pleasant to use and deadly.

My last five or six elk have all been killed very quickly with my 6.5 CM or .260 Rem.
If you really want something different, I would recommend the 7-08 in the same format your using now.

Nothing trumps good Bullet placement....... that comes with practice.
My $.02
Goodness....alllllll this talk about how great 6.5's and 7mm's are for elk when for 95 years many deemed the 270 marginal. Seems I was right about the 270 all along, it's just fine for elk.

You have a 6.5, get something of larger caliber and it doesn't have to be a magnum. I wouldn't buy an '06 but that's me. Nothing wrong with it but there is, conservatively, approximately 200 cartridges just as good and will do anything and everything the '06 will do. I won't bother mentioning what rifles because our tastes are light years apart.
If you have to ask, yes, you need another rifle.

Your 6.5 CM is fine for elk at close ranges, say 300-400 yards, but not my first choice for that and not what I would choose for longer ranges. My recommendations would start with a .270 Win or 7mm RM for non-handloaders and would include a .280 Rem for handloaders. 7mm RM is a fine choice and the loads I was shooting two days ago had less recoil than the .30-06 loads I was shooting. A .30-06 is never wrong. Stepping up to a .300WM adds significant recoil and a .338WM adds even more.

I "managed" with a 7mm RM for 20+ years and will be hunting elk with it again this year if all goes as planned. My .280 is planned as the backup, both .loaded with Federal 155g Terminal Ascent if I finalize the loads. Launched at 2900fps, the .280 Rem will deliver 2000fps and 1500fpe to 725 yards, more than double the range of the Federal 6.5CM laod wiht the same bullet. THE 7mm RM will go even further.

Have I ever needed a backup rifle? Yes.
You have a very nice little gun shop just down the road in Belle Fourche...I`d go and see them.
PS, 7mm Mag ammo is every where, and not that expensive.

Your 6.5 CM will work on elk and you will be able to keep a bear from eating you BECAUSE you are much more likely to shoot it well than anything significantly “more powerful”. Before you spend the money, read John Barsness’ article on killing power.
Spend your coin trying to wear out your 6.5, shoot three or four elk with it and then you will realize you have what you need already.

If your wife wants to hunt then take her with you, carry the 6.5, and hand it to her when she needs it. Maybe she will enjoy shooting and maybe not. Wait and see.

It is pretty easy to get addicted to the idea that nirvana is just a purchase away but that ain’t so.
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
You have a very nice little gun shop just down the road in Belle Fourche...I`d go and see them.
PS, 7mm Mag ammo is every where, and not that expensive.

What store is that?
Buckstop Sports. Had a nice selection of new, used and custom rifles when I stopped. Also some reloading components. Been there twice on my way to Wy.
Some of the crew shoot long range stuff in the Hills...might be of interest to you.
Tikka T3X 30-06. Upgrade stock if inclined, decent scope for your purpose and start out with a used or inexpensive Lee reloading setup. 125 grain to 220 grain bullets, versatile for many target or hunting applications.
© 24hourcampfire