-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IF you are going to go up in caliber/power and given your criteria of not reloading a 30-06 or 308 both have relatively cheap ammo available. There are lots of opinions but most of us who have been around this block a few times would suggest that magnums have their place but are not necessary in most cases. A 30-06 will take anything in NA and not rattle your fillings.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
human pine tree, great country where you live. I've visited the area some and wouldn't mind it for retirement.

'd go along with the advice for a 7MM Rem Mag or a .30/06. They're about equally effective and will handle all your hunting chores.

It is great to hear of a hunter and shooter that didn't grow up doing either. We need more guys like you in the hunting and shooting community.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes. I only read the title of this thread, but yes you need another rifle.

“Lighten up Francis”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Grab a 7mm Remington Mag. Plenty of options for ammo.
GreggH

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Add a .30-06 and you're all set. Don't fall for the stupid advice of a .280, 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem mag. as none are more capable on bigger game than the .30-06 and they all cost way more to shoot if you don't reload, which it sounds like you don't. You can buy .30-06 ammo in several brands and bullet weghts at Wal-Mart for 19.00 a box while you'll pay 28.00 a box for 7mm-08, 28.00 - 40.00 per box for 7mm mag. and they don't carry the semi obsolete .280 ammo at all.

We have this thing called the internet that makes it easy to buy ammo... and yes, he could get $19 06 ammo, but then there will be a whole other thread about "falling for the dumb advice" of using old cup/core bullets, etc. And please don't hit us with the "if he forgets his ammo 30-06 will be at the gas station routine."

He can get 150 grain partitions in 280 for $32-35 online, often with free shipping if timed right, and it's just as easy to order higher end, 170-175 stuff if he doesn't want to load it himself. Any Cabelas or BPS or Gander is also going to carry rhe 165 RN Corelokt. I have nothing against 06 or cheap ammo at all. My issue ia that people are advised every day on this forum to spend tons of money on new stuff, but then when it's convenient, the Wal-Mart card gets played. C'mon...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
308 Win or 30-06 Sprg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Add a .30-06 and you're all set. Don't fall for the stupid advice of a .280, 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem mag. as none are more capable on bigger game than the .30-06 and they all cost way more to shoot if you don't reload, which it sounds like you don't. You can buy .30-06 ammo in several brands and bullet weghts at Wal-Mart for 19.00 a box while you'll pay 28.00 a box for 7mm-08, 28.00 - 40.00 per box for 7mm mag. and they don't carry the semi obsolete .280 ammo at all.

We have this thing called the internet that makes it easy to buy ammo... and yes, he could get $19 06 ammo, but then there will be a whole other thread about "falling for the dumb advice" of using old cup/core bullets, etc. And please don't hit us with the "if he forgets his ammo 30-06 will be at the gas station routine."

He can get 150 grain partitions in 280 for $32-35 online, often with free shipping if timed right, and it's just as easy to order higher end, 170-175 stuff if he doesn't want to load it himself. Any Cabelas or BPS or Gander is also going to carry rhe 165 RN Corelokt. I have nothing against 06 or cheap ammo at all. My issue ia that people are advised every day on this forum to spend tons of money on new stuff, but then when it's convenient, the Wal-Mart card gets played. C'mon...

Yeah but how much trigger time is he going to get at $32.per box? With an -06 or 308 he can buy a bunch of milsurp ammo and blast away. Nobody is suggesting he use cheap stuff to hunt with.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The correct answer to ANY thread asking "do I need another rifle", is always yes. May I suggest a 30 cal of some flavor such as a .308 or 30-06. They are both very easy to find ammo and/or reloading components for, and are very versatile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d look at a 30-06 Tikka or one of those 280 Ruger M77 that have been mentioned. Your wife could use your current 6.5 and both rifles would be a step up in power from the 6.5 without punishing recoil and ammo available everywhere for the 30-06 and most places for the 280. The Tikka would be a lighter in weight rifle from the Ruger and more accurate out of the box. The Ruger while a bit heavier will be a very robust rifle with less recoil than the 30-06 Tikka. Welcome to the forum it’s a great resource for anything outdoors and more.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have come to like using rather large calibers for much of my hunting. Justification for owning a .375 H&H was a point of discussion on Canadian Gun Nutz forum recently. This is the best response of them all. I just had to share here... thanks Dogleg!

Originally Posted by Dogleg
The best reason for getting a .375 is that it is very likely to Shanghai you and drag you off to Africa. If yours exhibits this type of behavior; resistance is futile.

Another reason is more practical. If you don’t have a .375 what exactly are you supposed to do if someone asks to see your .375? Oh sure, you can pretend you’re choking and run out of the room, but that only works once. After that you’ll just be standing there looking like you got caught trying to run a dog and pony show with no pony. It’s even worse if you’re married. Just imagine how embarrassed your wife would be if the truth came out. People would treat her with pity; perhaps to the point of giving her savages, bushnells , used articles of clothing and. small cash donations while uttering things like “ Oh honey, I had no idea that things were so bad, you should have called”. You can’t just think about yourself all the time!

Last edited by castnblast; 05/06/20.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Yeah but how much trigger time is he going to get at $32.per box? With an -06 or 308 he can buy a bunch of milsurp ammo and blast away. Nobody is suggesting he use cheap stuff to hunt with.

Probably the same trigger time he gets with the 6.5cm? When you catch them online and buy in a bit of bulk, the 140/150 corelokt aren't priced too bad and they're no slouch on deer, either. But if I was heading west for a planned hunt, I'd also want a good bit of time with my actual game round. Anyway, we agree, re: no need for a magnum. I just don't see the 280 has semi-obsolete because of where I can't buy ammo. If Walmart is the metric, dozens of cartridges are on their way to the graveyard.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
308 Winchester

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Probably the same trigger time he gets with the 6.5cm? When you catch them online and buy in a bit of bulk, the 140/150 corelokt aren't priced too bad and they're no slouch on deer, either. But if I was heading west for a planned hunt, I'd also want a good bit of time with my actual game round. Anyway, we agree, re: no need for a magnum. I just don't see the 280 has semi-obsolete because of where I can't buy ammo. If Walmart is the metric, dozens of cartridges are on their way to the graveyard.
It's not just where you can buy ammo that makes the .280 semi obsolete. It's also the limited number of rifles chambered for it and the limited selection of factory loads. The small volume of sales in rifles and ammo results in comparatively high ammo prices for a cartridge with virtually no practical advantage over the much more popular .30-06 or .270.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just because I enjoy adding a bit of confusion, CDNN also has Ruger Hawkeyes in 270, 308 and 30-06 for $499.

Heck of a deal!

Although I'd still just get another 6.5 Creed - but a really nice one. Justification includes the benefit of having the same ammo when on a 2- person hunt so when one leaves their ammo on the kitchen table when packing for the trip, it doesn't become a crisis.

Also, because every gun fits each individual differently, it would be nice to compare the two and see which one fits you best.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by czech1022
Just because I enjoy adding a bit of confusion, CDNN also has Ruger Hawkeyes in 270, 308 and 30-06 for $499.

Heck of a deal!

Although I'd still just get another 6.5 Creed - but a really nice one. Justification includes the benefit of having the same ammo when on a 2- person hunt so when one leaves their ammo on the kitchen table when packing for the trip, it doesn't become a crisis.

Also, because every gun fits each individual differently, it would be nice to compare the two and see which one fits you best.

I think, randomly though, the 06 at CDNN had a shorter barrel than the rest? Could be misremembering. I have one of the 280s at a smith right now getting cerakoted.

Blackheart - In the last year, I've seen new Model 70s, 700s, and M77s chambered in 280. Are they doing the volume of 270 or 300wm, not a chance. But I think it's here to stay.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RickBin
Let me be the first and probably only:

You don't NEED another rifle.

grin

Nope ! I am in total agreement.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Count me as another vote for 280 or 30-06. Both are a step upward in power from your creedmore.

A 7-08 is almost a 280 & 308 is almost an 06 if you absolutely must have a short action.

It seems that 280 Ackleys are catching on. They are loaded to pressures where the 280 could/should be. It's almost a 7mm magnum but without quite as much noise & recoil. There are more companies than just Nosler for factory ammo now. Is it a fad or will it last?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the wife isnt interested in either of the rifles you currently have, make this about getting her a gun, let her pick it out.....

Then start over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I’ve needed a backup rifle once. The crosshairs broke and fell in the bottom of the scope!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by czech1022

Heck of a deal!

I think, randomly though, the 06 at CDNN had a shorter barrel than the rest? Could be misremembering. I have one of the 280s at a smith right now getting cerakoted.

Blackheart - In the last year, I've seen new Model 70s, 700s, and M77s chambered in 280. Are they doing the volume of 270 or 300wm, not a chance. But I think it's here to stay.
Winchester is no longer chambering the .model 70 in .280 and neither is Ruger in the M77. I've seen the .280 come and go in limited runs from about every manufacturer over the years but it has not been popular enough to remain a standard chambering for long. I have no idea whether Remington still offers it or not. I don't keep track of Remington's junk. Regardless it's not popular enough to have a wide selection of factory ammo offered or to bring the price down to that of .270 or .30-06 and it never will be.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.