Home
It seems to favor "momentum" over "energy" but I cannot figure it out and it does not seem to be valid.

A 22 caliber 62 grain bullet going 3000 FPS generates an optimum game weight of 141 pounds at the muzzle, while a 30 cal 130 grain going 2000 FPS generates an OGW of 203 pounds at the muzzle would seem to be backwards to me.
It is plucked out of the air, probably on moonlit nights.
Don't over think the math. Just buy a .270WCF. whistle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I disagree with the esteemed Mule Deer...

I do not think there is anything near as scientific as that involved in "optimum game weight"! wink

John
I concede!

The problem with trying to reduce "killing power" to an engineering problem is that animals aren't steel targets, much less bridges.

And even when somebody comes up with a formula that might have some real exoerience behind it, such as John Taylor's "Knock-Out" formula, it gets used incorrectly. Taylor initially published it in his first book, specifically stating that it only applied to solid bullets on large game from buffalo to elephant. Trouble was, he didn't mention that in his second book, and now every other SCI member quotes "Taylor numbers" when explaining why some cartridge isn't truly adequate for anything from dik-dik to Siberian moose.

In my younger years I even formulated a killing-power formula, but had the good sense not to publish it. Since then I've come up with another, which I have published: B-2L=D

B is bullet, 2L is two lungs, and D is dead.

Well I for one never bought into the Taylor line. A whole lot of things just don't add up with him, but a lot of hunters think that he is has the final say. Well its like this, you want to hunt say deer, make it White Tails because I have shot more of those than any other up to this date. We are talking about a very soft thin skinned and small boned animal. You don't need much cartridge to collect one, one of the most successful deer cartridges ever made is also one of the very oldest smokeless power rounds, The 30-30 Winchester.Plenty for White Tails and other game as well, its it the best under all conditions, nope, then again you could say that just about any cartridge or rifle for that matter. But a decent bullet into a deers lungs Heart or break its neck and get out your skinning knife. Even a 22 RF will get the job done if pointed right.
A lot of African PH's don't buy Taylor's formula either!
Wasn't Taylors formula based on some "Knock Out" value to predict whether and for how long a head shot elephant would remain unconscious from a shot(with solids) that missed the brain?
Yep.
JB:Thanks smile
The Matunas Optimum Game Weight (OGW) formula is explained on the BigGameInfo website. This seems to be more realistic than Taylor's formula.

Aren't there enough cartridges filling all the gaps between .17 and .50 caliber and enough available experience with those cartridges to have a reasonable expectation for how any particular style of bullet of a given diameter and weight at a particular impact velocity is going to behave?

If one has a .308" 165 grain cup-and-core bullet of a particular brand impacting at 2400 fps, one can get a good idea of what to expect with a little research without needing a formula - and that's coming from one (me) who likes to put numbers on everything (and whose formal training has taught him to do so with some competency). If you can't find the info in your research, you can ask here.

Even the most unusual wildcats are going to behave closely enough to some existing cartridge that one can get some info on how that cartridge would behave on any type of game one was interested in hunting.

It seems to be more mathematical and deliberate than the moonlight plucking method would indicate, so I was curious about the formula.

Its a curiosity found in places along the trail on the world wide web and looked remotely similar to the results proposed by Earl Harmon Quackenbush in the early 50's on page 57 of his book "Quackenbush in the Bush"

Just sayin.
Big shrug.

Any killing-power formula, no matter how nifty it sounds mathematically, is plucked out of moonlit air, especially when it suggests a "maximum range" at which a certain load will work.

And even when based on any formula, the formula is derived at least partially from field experience in the first place. Though sometimes not! There's another killing-power formula in the 6th Speer loading manual, formulated by an engineer who has very little field experience. Maybe this is what's meant by "reverse engineering."
Quackenbush in the Bush and plucking... Isn't Ingwe the expert here????
Yep...I got the formula....28.5 grains H335 behind a 50 Gr TTSX in a .223AI= Dead Bambi...... grin
jimmyp,

One apparent failing (among a number of failings) of the optimal game weight type formulas is that they fail to factor in what the minimum impact velocity for a particular bullet is. Some bullets will expand at 1800 fps or less while others of the same diameter and weight don't appear to reliably expand below 2000 fps. Another failing is the failure to account for the differences in bullet construction, which affects penetration, expansion, etc. There is a lot more to bullet performance than bullet weight and muzzle velocity (and, in some formulas, diameter).
Yea, but could you hit Bambi at this long range?

[Linked Image]
I've got a Ballistic Plex Reticle.....of course I could...if I used the right dot.... wink
It seems to be more mathematical and deliberate than the moonlight plucking method would indicate, so I was curious about the formula.

As a holder of an earned PhD in mathematics, I assure you it's entirely possible to come up with something "mathematical and deliberate" that doesn't mean a whole lot. grin
By the way, the only way I can get that deer to come that close is by installing Scent Lok siding on the house.
Silly....if you got a power washer and some of the no-scent soap, you could get them in that way....
Scent lock Depends might help. laugh
Originally Posted by mathman

As a holder of an earned PhD in mathematics, I assure you it's entirely possible to come up with something "mathematical and deliberate" that doesn't mean a whole lot. grin

Agree, albeit without a PhD attached to my name.

A year or two ago I came up with a couple formulas to compare cartridges on the basis of wind drift and recoil (minimize wind drift and recoil), but those formulas aren't for general use (just for my use) because there are judgments that went into them (e.g,. bullets and loads to use for the comparison) that might not be what someone else would want to assume. The same is true for any kind of "optimal game weight" formula.
Where can you get those...?

Inquiring minds...... whistle
Incidently, a long time ago, there was a thread that discussed experimenting with unhooking bras years ago around the Bozeman area- I think "Quackenbush in the Bush" and plucking is more relevant to that thread than it is to bullet performance.
How many years ago....? whistle

Wasn't around 1977-78......was it??????? blush
They make Scent Lok depends? Wow- Heading to the store now!
Ask the whiskey ice vendor. I hear it's for his same clientele. laugh
Originally Posted by Ramblin Razorback
Aren't there enough cartridges filling all the gaps between .17 and .50 caliber and enough available experience with those cartridges to have a reasonable expectation for how any particular style of bullet of a given diameter and weight at a particular impact velocity is going to behave?

Many people make their living from firearms, ammo, and reloading components. Change sells, which is way there's an endless stream of new stuff coming to market.

Regardless of the vast and growing selection, few people start out with the experience to know what caliber/load combinations are adequate for some particular game animal at some particular range. That's where the formulas can help.

Chuck Hawks reviews the entire subject on his The Killing Power of Centerfire Hunting Rifles web page. About the Matunas formula Hawks writes "As skeptical as I am about killing power formulas in general, I like the OGW system as a predictor of rifle/load killing power because it shows a high degree of correlation with the observations of experienced hunters."

In my opinion, distilling the observations of experienced hunters into a simple formula is of great benefit to novice hunters or anyone wanting to gauge the effectiveness of caliber/load combinations they are not familiar with.
MacLorry,

Those formulas may be fun to play around with, and a novice might start to get an idea of what cartridges are sufficient for a particular type of game, but if a novice wants to know what cartridge to use, a formula would be just the start of the research.

On the negative side, a novice might get the idea that he needed to be prepared for the off-chance he might run into the granddaddy of all elk, weighing in at close to half a ton, at 400+ yards range and decide, based on some formula, that he better get at least a .338 RUM for any elk hunting he might do. That wouldn't be a good cartridge for 99+% of novices. There's more to selecting a cartridge than bullet mass and muzzle velocity.
It's like trying to distill the qualities of a woman into a formula- In other words, it ain't gonna happen. But the field research on women is more fun, although much more expensive..
MacLorry,

I live in Montana, where a lot of elk are killed every year. There are far more elk taken with .270's and 7mm-08's than .338 Winchester Magnums every fall, by people who have used the .270 and 7-08 over and over again on elk.

East of the Mississippi there are a lot of hunters who feel that the .338 Winchester Magnum is the minimum anybody should consider for elk hunting. Some of these people have even taken an elk, and sometimes more than one.

The consensus among the elk guides I know is that the majority of first-time elk hunters are vastly overgunned with the .338 Winchester Magnum.

There is a consensus there, and it is NOT the .338 Winchester Magnum. But when you check the Matunas formula it pretty much recommends the .338 for elk-sized game, especially past some range such as 379.4 yards. So where is this "high degree of correlation with the observations of experienced hunters"?

Plus, I fail to see how the Matunas formula would be easy to use for the average hunter wondering if his rifle is elk-adequate.

There has been a lot of BS spouted by various gun writers over the years, but mathematical formulas for killing power (or how long an elephant will stay knocked out) are right at the top of the BS pile.
I would not be so quick to discount Taylor's knock out formula, for the simple reason that probably no one alive today has as much experience as Taylor had on elephant and other large game animals.

It is doubtful that many, even in Taylor's time, had as much experience as he did.

I was reading a few pagers in his book yesterday. I have had the book for several years, but I have not read it all the way through, front to back. Yesterday was the first time I had read this particular part, and I looked it up to find out what Taylor thought about using the 7X57, with a solid, on Elephant.

I am writing this from memory, so I may have my facts wrong, but as I remember it, Taylor wrote something along the lines that an elephant hit in the guts with a .470 (or .577, or anything) was a wounded and mad elephant.

But, one hit in the brain with a 7 MM solid was a dead elephant, right there. But, a brain shot from a .470 or the .577 would have the same results as the 7X57 in the same place--a very dead elephant.

So would a .470, .577, or 7MM in the guts--a very irate elephant.

So, then, as it is now, it depends on where you hit them, although for a heart shot or other vital area other than the brain, the larger, heavier bullet would be more effective.

That would more than likely be true on buffolo and other large game as well.
Believe it or not, there are people alive today who have MORE experience in shooting elephants than John Taylor. This is because of culling operations. Some of these people have killed several times as many elephants as Taylor.

There were also contemporaries of John Taylor with great experience on elephants who thought his formula was BS.
So where is this "high degree of correlation with the observations of experienced hunters"?

The formula is not based on some repeatable and immutable law of nature, so there are going to be exceptions. If you read Chuck Hawks' article you'll find that he deals with the subject in depth while maintaining good balance and skepticism. It's Chuck Hawks's opinion that the OGW formula has a high degree of correlation with the observations of experienced hunters. In the end it's another gun writer's opinion, and one that's contrary to your own.

In my opinion there's a reason firearms are deadly and it has something to do with the bullet and how fast it's going. If there's no way to quantify "killing power" then how can anyone say an elk hunter is overgunned with the .338 Winchester Magnum? Obviously, people formulate an answer to such a question in their own mind. The difference is that Matunas, Cooper, Hatcher, Taylor and others have tried to share their reasoning with the rest of us. Their reasoning may be flawed, but it's not BS

Plus, I fail to see how the Matunas formula would be easy to use for the average hunter wondering if his rifle is elk-adequate.

The BigGameInfo site has more information on the Matunas formula and their Ballistics Calculator includes the OGW value for each range calculated.
Maclorry
Try this information - A study done in Europe on moose shot with various cartridges from the 6.6X55 up to the 375 H&H showed very little difference in how quickly the animals died. Factor THAT into the Matunas formula.
MacLorry,

I see from your profile that you're an engineer. I've run into other engineers who feel that somehow formulas should be able to predict bullet performance on game animals. That's fine. But shooting animals is a lot like predicting the weather: No matter what a computer can suggest from a lot of previous data, things change so infinitely and rapidly that even the best input will end up with different results. And every animal is different.

Cooper and Hatcher's formulas weren't for animals, but even then I know a lot of experienced people (some more experienced than Cooper and Hatcher) who don't think much of their formulas--and for the same reason a lot of African PH's don't think much of Taylor's KO formula: Their experience has shown them that any such formula is indeed BS.

And yes, it is possible to determine if any hunter is overgunned with the .338 Winchester Magnum. In fact it's a lot more possible than predicting how quickly a .243 or .270 or .338 bullet will kill an elk, or how long a .375 or .416 or .470 bullet will stun an elephant. You just have the hunter shoot at a 12-inch target and see if they can consistently hit it. If they can't, they're overgunned.

Originally Posted by MacLorry
...... If there's no way to quantify "killing power" then how can anyone say an elk hunter is overgunned with the .338 Winchester Magnum?

Because a lot of hunters can't shoot them very well....at least a lot of beginners...

I don't have it in front of me,and I won't waste time looking at Matunas' formula because I did that back years ago...I think as much of it now as I did then,which is to say,not much...

...but IIRC what it tries to tell you is that a 338(say)is good for elk at 374 yards, but at that distance a 7 mag(for example) isn't......which is mostly bunk.

I guess it also tries to tell you,that the 338 is good at 374 yards,but not good at 400....which we also know is "bunk".....

I'm sure there are other voids in the formula as well....

Taylors' TKO formula,if taken literally, will tell you that a 600 Nitro Express will kill an elephant deader than a 416 Remington....I never shot an elephant so don't know what to think of that....
If there's no way to quantify "killing power" then how can anyone say an elk hunter is overgunned with the .338 Winchester Magnum?
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Because a lot of hunters can't shoot them very well....at least a lot of beginners...

BobNH - HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD ! !
I have had experience with ONE 338 Win Mag - a Ruger 77 Red Butt Pad - and I WAS NOT a beginner shooter/handloader. I shot very good groups with it but it WAS NOT FUN.

I dare say that IF I had hunted it I would have UNCONSCIOUSLY flinched because it HURT to shoot THAT GUN.

No matter the caliber, if a hunter can't shoot his gun CONFIDENTLY and I might add in fun - he is OVERGUNNED !
MacLorry,

I live in Montana, where a lot of elk are killed every year. There are far more elk taken with .270's and 7mm-08's than .338 Winchester Magnums every fall, by people who have used the .270 and 7-08 over and over again on elk.

East of the Mississippi there are a lot of hunters who feel that the .338 Winchester Magnum is the minimum anybody should consider for elk hunting. Some of these people have even taken an elk, and sometimes more than one.

The consensus among the elk guides I know is that the majority of first-time elk hunters are vastly overgunned with the .338 Winchester Magnum.

There is a consensus there, and it is NOT the .338 Winchester Magnum. But when you check the Matunas formula it pretty much recommends the .338 for elk-sized game, especially past some range such as 379.4 yards. So where is this "high degree of correlation with the observations of experienced hunters"?

There has been a lot of BS spouted by various gun writers over the years, but mathematical formulas for killing power (or how long an elephant will stay knocked out) are right at the top of the BS pile.

It really sounds like you have little use for Professor Quackenbush! I myself was enthralled regards his extemporization regards the "killing power of fast twist".

Also I want no part of a 338 WM!
I see from your profile that you're an engineer. I've run into other engineers who feel that somehow formulas should be able to predict bullet performance on game animals. That's fine. But shooting animals is a lot like predicting the weather: No matter what a computer can suggest from a lot of previous data, things change so infinitely and rapidly that even the best input will end up with different results. And every animal is different.

Using your weather scenario killing power formulas are like statistical circulation models that try to predict the future from what happened in the past. Isn't past experience what makes someone an expert hunter? You seem to be saying that it's impossible for an experienced hunter to pass on useful information to others if it's in the form of a formula.

Cooper and Hatcher's formulas weren't for animals, but even then I know a lot of experienced people (some more experienced than Cooper and Hatcher) who don't think much of their formulas--and for the same reason a lot of African PH's don't think much of Taylor's KO formula: Their experience has shown them that any such formula is indeed BS.

So now you're saying we should believe experienced hunters who says any such formula is indeed BS, even though such formulas are based on the experience of other hunters. One could conclude from that, that all experienced hunters are BSers, or that BSers claim to be experienced hunters.

And yes, it is possible to determine if any hunter is overgunned with the .338 Winchester Magnum. In fact it's a lot more possible than predicting how quickly a .243 or .270 or .338 bullet will kill an elk, or how long a .375 or .416 or .470 bullet will stun an elephant. You just have the hunter shoot at a 12-inch target and see if they can consistently hit it. If they can't, they're overgunned.

So how do you know if they are undergunned? The problem with claiming killing power can't be quantified is that you're stuck with not being able to determine what caliber/load should be used on any game. Just grab the biggest rifle you can consistently hit a 12-inch target with. I need to get a 50 BMG for white tail season this year.

I don't have it in front of me,and I won't waste time looking at Matunas' formula because I did that back years ago...I think as much of it now as I did then,which is to say,not much...

...but IIRC what it tries to tell you is that a 338(say)is good for elk at 374 yards, but at that distance a 7 mag(for example) isn't......which is mostly bunk.

I guess it also tries to tell you,that the 338 is good at 374 yards,but not good at 400....which we also know is "bunk".....

Matunas got around a lot of the specific objections you cite by using the word "optimal" in the name of his formula rather than the word "absolute". Matunas' formula gives you the optimal game weight for a given caliber/load at a given range. That's like saying the optimal room temperature is 72 degrees F. It doesn't mean everyone will be uncomfortable at 71 or 73 degrees F.
Originally Posted by Royce
Maclorry
Try this information - A study done in Europe on moose shot with various cartridges from the 6.6X55 up to the 375 H&H showed very little difference in how quickly the animals died. Factor THAT into the Matunas formula.

At what range? Were the moose in a pen and shot in the head at point blank range? What about trying that experiment at 500 meters and/or with some poor shot placement. If there's no difference between a 6.6X55 up to the 375 H&H then there should be no difference between a 222 Rem and a 6.6X55. We can just hunt moose with 22 rimfire if larger calibers are no more effective than smaller calibers.

Matunas got around a lot of the specific objections you cite by using the word "optimal" in the name of his formula rather than the word "absolute". Matunas' formula gives you the optimal game weight for a given caliber/load at a given range. That's like saying the optimal room temperature is 72 degrees F. It doesn't mean everyone will be uncomfortable at 71 or 73 degrees F.

McLorry I have seen enough elk killed with the 338's 300's and 7 mags to at least get the impression that we should really be discussing bullet placement and construction in lieu of a formula which tells us what to use,and what is
"optimal".

You are an engineer I take it, and I am not,having bogged down quantitatively decades ago...

....and all I know is that Matunas's formula, while maybe offering some guidance,is "off"...because when we kill animals we are performing a surgical function at a distance....just like a doctor with a scalpel....we are not killing the animal by overwhelming it with power, or knocking it down;we are destryong its' vital organs and breaking its' bones on the way to those organs

....so that when we destroy vital tissue,so long as we destroy enough of it, the animal dies....and therefore,a 7 mag or 30/06 shot into an elk's organs at 400 yards,if it penetrates sufficiently,and expands adequately to destroy vital tissue,will do to an elk what a 338 bullet in the ham or guts will not do.

I have seen vitual lights out elk kills with...338's,300's and 7 mags, among others...mostly big bulls....so long as the bullet was placed properly,and pentrated and expanded,through vital organs, the elk was quickly killed.But the fabulous results always only came,with very good shot placement.This is why a 270 in the right place will do what a 338 in the wrong plae will not.

Larger calibers MIGHT make bigger wound channels,but that tends to depend on the bullets used,and the distances involved.

But you know all this.....

How all of this is reduced to a formula or table, I don't know. frown
But I doubt the tables can tell us.
MacLorry,

The Swedish study included over 8000 moose, taken during the fall hunting season. Hunters participated by noting the range, how many hits were made, and how far the moose traveled after the initial hit. Oh, and the cartridge and bullet. Such a large sample is more than adequate for the purposes, though the compiler noted that at least 100 animals taken with a certain cartridge was the minimum to get a good idea of what that round would do in comparison to others.

There have been other controlled studies of cartridge/bullet combinations over the years. One made during elk culling on the National Bison Range in Montana compared the .30-06 to the .375 H&H. The only difference noted was that the .375 was somewhat more likely to leave a blood trail. Otherwise the results were pretty much identical--with good bullet placement.

Other studies have been published with various animals from Texas whitetails to elephants in Africa. I have personally been on numerous cull hunts in several countries in the past decade, and the basic conclusion I've come to is that bullet placement is at least 90% of the equation. I'd rate bullet construction at 9%, and the actual cartridge at 1%.

Of course, there's a difference between culling whitetail does in Texas and 500+ pound animals, whether in Sweden, Montana or Africa. But I've never been able to discern any difference in the "optimal" cartridge/bullet/range. The big difference is bullet placement, as Bob so eloquently pointed out.

I have discussed this with engineers before, and they never seem to be able to grasp the fact that a bullet that expands and penetrates through the center of both lungs, just above the heart, kills very quickly no matter the bullet diameter, weight, foot-pounds or range.

Now, if you have seen hundreds or thousands of animals shot with various cartridge/bullet combinations, and have found a strong correlation between the Matunas formula and field results, then I'd love to see the report.

Don't waste your ink fellas, MacLorry likes to argue to exercise his superior cerebral capacity. After all, he is from another planet and places more importance on theory than real world experience.
While the likes of Mule Deer and BobinNH are field dressing their elk, MacLorry is calculating the coefficient of drag times the sine of an overhead vapor trail.
Ed Matunas of Lyman was a proponent of OGW. I never understood it, except to thing "big game, big bullet".
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Don't waste your ink fellas, MacLorry likes to argue to exercise his superior cerebral capacity. After all, he is from another planet and places more importance on theory than real world experience.
While the likes of Mule Deer and BobinNH are field dressing their elk, MacLorry is calculating the coefficient of drag times the sine of an overhead vapor trail.

I am sorry I opened this bag of crap now, I intended to start a discussion as its summer, hot, and no hunting. I guess the old expression "its time to shoot the engineer's and start the project" has some relevance here.
arguing the word optimal is like debating the meaning of the word "is" with ex Pres Bubba Bill.
[quote=jimmyp

I am sorry I opened this bag of crap now, I intended to start a discussion as its summer, hot, and no hunting. I guess the old expression "its time to shoot the engineer's and start the project" has some relevance here. [/quote]

Now that's funny right there ! laugh
There have been other controlled studies of cartridge/bullet combinations over the years.

Sorry, but the Swedish study doesn't qualify as controlled. It's a survey of the hunter's impressions, which means it's anecdotal. I'm not saying it doesn't have value, but studies of this type are overturned regularly in other disciplines, such as medical research.

One made during elk culling on the National Bison Range in Montana compared the .30-06 to the .375 H&H. The only difference noted was that the .375 was somewhat more likely to leave a blood trail. Otherwise the results were pretty much identical--with good bullet placement.

Not at all surprising given the Federal 30-06 HE load launches a 180 grain bullet at 2880 fps and has an OGW of 511 lbs or better out to 400 yards. Unless they are risking misplaced shots by shooting at ranges of more than 400 yards the 30-06 is more than adequate for the job and dead is dead. Let them try the same experiment with a 6.5x55 and see if they duplicate the Swedish results.

Other studies have been published with various animals from Texas whitetails to elephants in Africa. I have personally been on numerous cull hunts in several countries in the past decade, and the basic conclusion I've come to is that bullet placement is at least 90% of the equation. I'd rate bullet construction at 9%, and the actual cartridge at 1%.

Carful, you're getting close to coming up with a killing power formula yourself.

I have discussed this with engineers before, and they never seem to be able to grasp the fact that a bullet that expands and penetrates through the center of both lungs, just above the heart, kills very quickly no matter the bullet diameter, weight, foot-pounds or range.

And a bullet through the brain kills faster than the nerves can transmit the pain. Problem is the target sometimes moves just as I'm squeezing off my shot and I can't always get ideal shot placement. Now I can worry about my comfort and use an easy to carry low-recoil rifle/load, or I can anticipate such a misplaced shot and use a caliber that can punch through thick bone and take out the vitals on the other side. I don't believe in being a minimalist when it comes to taking game, nor do I want overkill that destroys too much of the meat. I find the OGW formula strikes a good balance.

Now, if you have seen hundreds or thousands of animals shot with various cartridge/bullet combinations, and have found a strong correlation between the Matunas formula and field results, then I'd love to see the report.

I don't see where anyone is saying the Matunas formula would lead someone to use an inadequate caliber/load, only that following it requires using more gun than is needed with good shot placement and the loss of accuracy due to heavy recoil may preclude good shot placement.

Hitting a 12-inch target depends a lot on the range and the range depends a lot on where you hunt. I sometimes hunt in the Great Lakes region where you seldom get shots over 100 yards and sometimes the range is so close you could take deer with a bayonet or more often with your pickup truck. The problem is that shots often involve cutting through brush and the bullet has to be big enough to stay on course, not fly apart, and arrive with enough velocity to do the job. Culling elk in Montana likely doesn't apply under such circumstances.

MacLorry, how about some photos of game that you have taken. Or do you just theorize about it?
Now he's into brush-busting bullets.

I should have left this degraded thread at least two posts ago, but now I am gone.

Sorry, jimmyp.
Originally Posted by jwp475

MacLorry, how about some photos of game that you have taken. Or do you just theorize about it?

Here's a group of my hunting buddies on one of our recent hunts. I'm the guy in the back grin

[Linked Image]

Sorry, but if I wanted my picture posted I would use it as my avatar rather than a cylon. If you just want pictures of dead animals I can post those, but what's the point?

Theory's is your bag I see
I don't see where anyone is saying the Matunas formula would lead someone to use an inadequate caliber/load, only that following it requires using more gun than is needed with good shot placement and the loss of accuracy due to heavy recoil may preclude good shot placement.

I think you got it, Mac.

Hitting a 12-inch target depends a lot on the range and the range depends a lot on where you hunt. I sometimes hunt in the Great Lakes region where you seldom get shots over 100 yards and sometimes the range is so close you could take deer with a bayonet or more often with your pickup truck. The problem is that shots often involve cutting through brush and the bullet has to be big enough to stay on course, not fly apart, and arrive with enough velocity to do the job. Culling elk in Montana likely doesn't apply under such circumstances.

Done some of that brush busting myself and found that heavy and slow are the way to go. I like a 12 gauge slug for the brush, something those who have only hunted on the open range don�t understand. Great accuracy is not important in conditions where no gun is going to be accurate.

Theory's is your bag I see

Or perhaps anonymity is his bag as it seems to be for most members.

John,

You're not prone to painting with a broad brush, but the statement above comes close. The difference between engineers who are convinced that big magnums are better and other people with the same idea is that the engineers are prone to try to support their beliefs with numbers and formulas. There are a lot of non-engineers who also don't grasp the fact in the above quote, and I suspect there are more than a few engineers who understand that bullet placement and expansion trump other factors (I can tell you at least one engineer understands that).
OK. Good point, and I plead guilty.

Here's a group of my hunting buddies on one of our recent hunts. I'm the guy in the back grin

[Linked Image]

Sorry, but if I wanted my picture posted I would use it as my avatar rather than a cylon. If you just want pictures of dead animals I can post those, but what's the point?

Lee???

Sorry, but the Swedish study doesn't qualify as controlled. It's a survey of the hunter's impressions, which means it's anecdotal. I'm not saying it doesn't have value, but studies of this type are overturned regularly in other disciplines, such as medical research.

Number of shots fired and distance traveled are not anecdotal. Even if people didn't measure the distances exactly with a tape measure, there is a better than decent probability that with the size of the study, any errors in measurement would average each other out (some would underestimate and some would overestimate). Also, there is no reason to believe that there would be any bias in distance errors tied to what cartridge a person was using. Bottom line is, just because the study/survey doesn't support your ideas about adequate elk hunting cartridges doesn't make it invalid.
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Number of shots fired and distance traveled are not anecdotal. Even if people didn't measure the distances exactly with a tape measure, there is a better than decent probability that with the size of the study, any errors in measurement would average each other out (some would underestimate and some would overestimate). Also, there is no reason to believe that there would be any bias in distance errors tied to what cartridge a person was using. Bottom line is, just because the study/survey doesn't support your ideas about adequate elk hunting cartridges doesn't make it invalid.

I disagree, a survey of hunters as to the range and effect on the animal are anecdotal, and it's far from a controlled study. To be a controlled study there has to be a control group or at least control over the conditions. Human nature being what it is, you could ask 8,000 sport fishermen how big their catch was and conclude fish are much larger than scientific sampling had shown. Every hunter starts out thinking their gun and load are sufficient and that carries over into their survey answers. People are skeptical of killing power formulas, but seem more than willing to believe the results of such studies.

John,

You're not prone to painting with a broad brush, but the statement above comes close. The difference between engineers who are convinced that big magnums are better and other people with the same idea is that the engineers are prone to try to support their beliefs with numbers and formulas. There are a lot of non-engineers who also don't grasp the fact in the above quote, and I suspect there are more than a few engineers who understand that bullet placement and expansion trump other factors (I can tell you at least one engineer understands that).

Seems to me that you missed Mac�s point. It�s obvious that a shot in the right place is lethal. In the military it�s known as the golden BB. Problem is that the odds of getting such a shot go down with range, game movement and obstacles. I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it�s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It�s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

More power is good as long as you can still hit the kill zone. In some real-world cases it mean the difference between an animal that goes down and stays down and one that runs off. Maybe you have to be an engineer to understand that.

I disagree, a survey of hunters as to the range and effect on the animal are anecdotal, and it's far from a controlled study. To be a controlled study there has to be a control group or at least control over the conditions. Human nature being what it is, you could ask 8,000 sport fishermen how big their catch was and conclude fish are much larger than scientific sampling had shown. Every hunter starts out thinking their gun and load are sufficient and that carries over into their survey answers. People are skeptical of killing power formulas, but seem more than willing to believe the results of such studies.

There is nothing (nada, zero) subjective about how many shots were fired and how far the animal went after it was hit, and the large (vast?) majority of the animals taken in the Swedish survey were one-shot kills, further simplifying the issue. The question of how far the animal traveled after it was hit is objective, not subjective, with a one-shot kill.
Originally Posted by Gath_Sten

John,

Seems to me that you missed Mac�s point. It�s obvious that a shot in the right place is lethal. In the military it�s known as the golden BB. Problem is that the odds of getting such a shot go down with range, game movement and obstacles. I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it�s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It�s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

More power is good as long as you can still hit the kill zone. In some real-world cases it mean the difference between an animal that goes down and stays down and one that runs off. Maybe you have to be an engineer to understand that.

you mention a badly misplaced gut shot, and then turn around and claim that more gun is better as long as the vitals are hit...

it's not that one needs to be an engineer to understand such things... maybe to believe them???

you said that with a 30-06 the elk would have escaped wounded... more likely the shot would have been better placed...

John,

No, I completely understood MacLorry's point, and it isn't supported by the evidence. There is no requirement for a big magnum or magic bullet (or golden BB) for North American ungulates. Massive quantities of empirical evidence has proven that a big magnum is not needed for elk, contrary to what the "Optimal Game Weight" formula might indicate. You might talk to people who have been on multiple dozens of elk harvests and get their opinion on super-magnums rather than rely on an example of one (an example of one meets the definition of anecdotal). Engineers should have an open mind and view the full body of evidence objectively, not try to selectively exclude data that doesn't support their biases.

If you saw the diplomas and license on my wall, you would know that I am quite capable of understanding things that "you have to be an engineer to understand." Even if I wasn't an engineer, there wouldn't be any reason to be arrogant (because I don't know any engineers who are perfect, and I know a lot of them)
A 10 year old girl with a 223 caliber handi rifle can thumb her nose with complete impunity at the OGW formula and all the anal retentive engineers or more likely want to be engineers that believe life and death can be reduced to a mathematical formula.

Where in the OGW formula do you plug in "bullet construction" the single most (in my opinion) significant advance in the firearms industry in 50 years.
You say there�s no need for big magnum�s, but no one has cited any study were game was purposely shot in non-vital areas to measure the effect of different calibers. No doubt that would be unethical. So are you saying it makes no difference how large a caliber is used when a shot goes bad, that a 6.5x55, 30-06, or a .375 H&H will all have the same pitiful effect?

SInce I have shot Deer with a 375 H&H magnum, I can asure you that they do not make up for poor shot placement

SInce I have shot Deer with a 375 H&H magnum, I can asure you that they do not make up for poor shot placement

I don�t think anyone is disputing the need for good shot placement, but in the real world, poor placement happens. Assuming poor placement, are you on the record of saying it makes no difference how large a caliber is used, that a 6.5x55, 30-06, or a .375 H&H will all have the same pitiful effect?

There are too many variables in my experience to claim that a bigger caliber is going to save the day with poor shot placement.

A liver shot animal is going to die no matter the caliber of the bullet, but not instantly. All of the bodys blood runs through the liver, so bleeding out is a certaintly
There is nothing (nada, zero) subjective about how many shots were fired and how far the animal went after it was hit, and the large (vast?) majority of the animals taken in the Swedish survey were one-shot kills, further simplifying the issue. The question of how far the animal traveled after it was hit is objective, not subjective, with a one-shot kill.

I'm working off Mule Deer's description of this study and there's no point arguing without more information. You seem to have more details. Can you provide a link to this study?

I don�t think anyone is disputing the need for good shot placement, but in the real world, poor placement happens. Assuming poor placement, are you on the record of saying it makes no difference how large a caliber is used, that a 6.5x55, 30-06, or a .375 H&H will all have the same pitiful effect?

Too many variables dude a gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, a butt shot deer is a butt shot deer. Shoot your next deer square in the butt with your 30-06 and report back to us. Just don't call me to help you find it.
..............I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover......

If you think you can count on this sort of thing to repeat reliably over any cross section of shots,or any number of animals,I'm afraid you're mistaken...... frown

There are too many variables in my experience to claim that a bigger caliber is going to save the day with poor shot placement.

A liver shot animal is going to die no matter the caliber of the bullet, but not instantly. All of the bodys blood runs through the liver, so bleeding out is a certaintly

I see you turned the question around rather than making the claim that bigger calibers don�t have a greater chance of killing with a misplaced shot. There�s also a spectrum of misplaced shots including everything from being just a bit outside the kill zone to nipping the tail. I doubt anyone can backup the claim that larger caliber�s don�t increase the odds of a kill with a shot some distance outside the kill zone.
..............I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover......

If you think you can count on this sort of thing to repeat reliably over any cross section of shots,or any number of animals,I'm afraid you're mistaken...... frown

It�s not a matter of counting on it, it�s a matter of having some extra capacity when things go bad.

I doubt that anyone can back (prove) up the calim that bigger calibers increase the odds of a kill outside the kill zone. I have animals die with shots outside the kill zone (no vitails hit) and they didn't move and I have seen then run with wounds large enough to for two fists with bigger cartridges, which is the opposit of your position
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Too many variables dude a gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, a butt shot deer is a butt shot deer. Shoot your next deer square in the butt with your 30-06 and report back to us. Just don't call me to help you find it.

No one I know would purposely make a bad shot, but it does happen and I�ve seen how a larger caliber puts the animal down even though no vitals were hit. Use too small a caliber and it will be you who�s tracking a wounded deer when the inevitable bad shot happens.

I doubt that anyone can back (prove) up the calim that bigger calibers increase the odds of a kill outside the kill zone. I have animals die with shots outside the kill zone (no vitails hit) and they didn't move and I have seen then run with wounds large enough to for two fists with bigger cartridges, which is the opposit of your position

Guess it�s just a matter of opinion then. Some here believe extra power is a good idea and bring it along. I don�t see where that�s wrong.

A gut shot is a gut shot caliber not with standing

Guess it�s just a matter of opinion then. Some here believe extra power is a good idea and bring it along. I don�t see where that�s wrong.

There was a tme when I felt the same, but over many years gaining more experience and knowledge I have changed my position
[Linked Image]

Is that you Gath? grin Just kidding, but you do have a point about having extra capacity to deal with abnormal conditions. Like anything else, a person can go overboard depending on either great accuracy or great power. I think a balanced approach is the best option and I don't find the OGW formula to be either BS or grossly wrong.

Bryan Litz covers Lethality in detail in his book including the OGW formula and few would argue that Bryan doesn't know about accuracy. Nevertheless, some here would cite his engineering background to claim he just doesn't understand shot placement.

It really comes down to opinion and everyone has their own and won't be dissuaded by others. Likely that's one reason for so many seemingly overlapping calibers.

it's not the extra power that is wrong...
in fact, if you're gonna use a heavy rifle for anything, i'd guess that most here would encourage you to use it on everything...
more practical experience with any rifle is a good thing...

but... espousal of any formula that tries to quantify the ability of a heavier rifle to make up for poor shots is gonna be a hard sell here...
Where can I get me one of them? grin
Originally Posted by johnw
but... espousal of any formula that tries to quantify the ability of a heavier rifle to make up for poor shots is gonna be a hard sell here...

That�s an understatement! Guess we�ll just have to blindly proceed.
There was a tme when I felt the same, but over many years gaining more experience and knowledge I have changed my position

I started out as a teenager using smaller calibers that were just enough to cleanly kill at the range I felt comfortable with. Over time I�ve moved up to higher and higher power calibers. I don�t think there�s much dispute that calibers like the .338 Lapua Mag increase the range at which you can take game, but I�ve also noticed an increased killing power when I screw up a bit and don�t make a perfect shot. When I gut the game it�s obvious the .338 does a lot more damage.

Maybe you�re right and it really doesn�t make any difference, but I know what I�ve seen and experienced and that leads me to another conclusion. Hope you can accept that.

Bullet choice IMHO and experience is more important than caliber choice

Can you prove that more damage means quicker kills, I can't

Bullet choice IMHO and experience is more important than caliber choice

Can you prove that more damage means quicker kills, I can't

Nope, I can�t prove it beyond question, but neither can you prove the opposite. We�ve arrived at different opinions based on our different experiences. Seems like a good place to leave it.

This Deer was shot with a 338 Lapua and he ran

Entrance

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

I've seen them drop with the same shot placement drop on the spot with much less powerfull weapons

Once one has enough, more doesn't mean better

Well it died from that wound, but how much further would the deer run if shot in the same place with a .270 win? Impossible to know as each situation and animal is different. I don�t think you can claim less tissue damage increases to odds of the animal going down and staying down with such a shot, or even claim it makes no difference how much damage is done.

Maybe we should try that shot with the 20mm Mac seems to think I have and see how far the deer flies and in how many directions. grin

Did you read my above post? I stated tha I have seenthem drop on the spot with the same or simular shot placement with much smaller calibers, such as the 243.

Did you read my above post? I stated tha I have seenthem drop on the spot with the same or simular shot placement with much smaller calibers, such as the 243.

So are you claiming the .243 is more lethal with such a shot than the .338?
This has been fun, but I think we are at an impasse with different opinions of the value using a larger than necessary caliber.

So are you claiming the .243 is more lethal with such a shot than the .338?

Again you miss the point and jump to conclusions. What I am saying is that enough is enough and that every animal is a biological sample one and they all do not give up the ghost at the same rate no matter what they are shot with. That is obvious IMHO
No amount of power will make up for poor shot placement to belive so is ioncorrect with so much evidence to the contrary

A 243 through the liver will kill just like a 475 through the liver. All of the blodd in the body runs through the liver and the animal will bleed out. A large enough wound to do this is a large enough wound and a larger wound makes little to no difference in the time of death as all of the field studies the MD posted have shown, I concur because it is what I have seen as well
Again you miss the point and jump to conclusions. What I am saying is that enough is enough and that every animal is a biological sample one and they all do not give up the ghost at the same rate no matter what they are shot with. That is obvious IMHO
No amount of power will make up for poor shot placement to belive so is ioncorrect with so much evidence to the contrary

No one on this thread has offered any evidence to substantiate any such claim. The studies are for good shot placement as evidenced by most being one shot kills. Find me a study where game was purposely shot outside the kill zone to gage the effect of different calibers. None exist as they would be unethical. What we have is opinion. You have yours and I have mine.

No one on this thread has offered any evidence to substantiate any such claim. The studies are for good shot placement as evidenced by most being one shot kills. Find me a study where game was purposely shot outside the kill zone to gage the effect of different calibers. None exist as they would be unethical. What we have is opinion. You have yours and I have mine.

There are plenty of studies....if you have hunted and shot any significant number of BG animals, or witnessed them being shot,with a broad variety of calibers and bullets...... guys like Mule Deer,JWP,and many others on here have seen more than the ordinary number of BG animals killed with a significant variety of combinations....including both good, bad, and indifferently or marginally placed shots.

I find it curious that a guy with the experience level of Mule Deer is argued with and contradicted to the point he is driven off the thread,when he posts something on the subject,simply because his answers don't correspond with the pre-conceived notions of those who want a different answer.Likely, those advancing the agenda could not polish his boots when it comes to actually killing game animals and knowing what it takes.

My general observation in all of this is that those bemused by numbers,killing quotients,and reducing killing effectiveness to quantitative measure tend to be the least experienced when it comes to actually killing game.They are constantly in search of the mystical, the magical, combination that will guarantee(to the extent possible)anchoring hits with sloppy placement.

The more experience a guy has the less value he places on such stuff,and the more likely he is to just grab something reasonable and go hunting,his last concern being whether he has enough power or not....he will be successful regardless of what he shoots within reason.......mostly because he knows how to do it,and also knows if an animal gets away wounded,it was not for lack of power, but lack of proper shot placement....no formula will make up for sloppy shooting.

...no formula will make up for sloppy shooting.

I like this the best. smile

If you want to get scientific, ask an optometrist. They can treat poor vision so that hunters can place the shot where it needs to be.

[Linked Image]

Here's the late Julius Sumner Miller. Please note that he's wearing glasses.
There are plenty of studies....if you have hunted and shot any significant number of BG animals, or witnessed them being shot,with a broad variety of calibers and bullets...... guys like Mule Deer,JWP,and many others on here have seen more than the ordinary number of BG animals killed with a significant variety of combinations....including both good, bad, and indifferently or marginally placed shots.

Those aren�t studies, they�re stories. Everyone has them and they don�t rise to the level of a �study�.

I find it curious that a guy with the experience level of Mule Deer is argued with and contradicted to the point he is driven off the thread,when he posts something on the subject,simply because his answers don't correspond with the pre-conceived notions of those who want a different answer.Likely, those advancing the agenda could not polish his boots when it comes to actually killing game animals and knowing what it takes.

As experienced as Mule Deer is, he�s not the only expert who has an opinion on the subject. In fact, many of the formulas came from vary experienced hunters who didn�t have an aversion to using numbers to explain the lethality of high powered firearms. Mule Deer says they are all BS and that settles the debate for many of his followers.

Mule Deer wasn�t driven off the thread by any nasty or personal insults, but by questions an �expert� should have answers to. Truth be known it was Mule Deer who implied that MacLorry�s profession of engineer was some sort of mental defect that prevented him from understanding the importance of shot placement, when in fact it�s that technical training that found the flaw in Mule Deer�s argument. Go back and look. Mac asked how Mule Deer knew someone was undergunned, and that�s when Mule Deer decided to leave the thread. Obviously, there�s an answer to that question, but it requires admitting some means of quantifying killing power, all of which was pronounced to be BS.

My general observation in all of this is that those bemused by numbers,killing quotients,and reducing killing effectiveness to quantitative measure tend to be the least experienced when it comes to actually killing game.They are constantly in search of the mystical, the magical, combination that will guarantee(to the extent possible)anchoring hits with sloppy placement.

Sounds like you�re promoting ignorance. We only have our modern society because some among us were able to measure and quantify the physical world. And yes, they are always in search of a better bullet, a better drug, a better source of energy, etc. Lets denigrate them for that.

The more experience a guy has the less value he places on such stuff,and the more likely he is to just grab something reasonable and go hunting,his last concern being whether he has enough power or not....he will be successful regardless of what he shoots within reason.......mostly because he knows how to do it,and also knows if an animal gets away wounded,it was not for lack of power, but lack of proper shot placement....no formula will make up for sloppy shooting.

Sounds like the lazy-man�s solution to me. Just tell yourself you don�t need to carry that heavy magnum because it won�t help if your shot is a bit off.
Naw, I didn't leave the thread because of your questions. I left it because you (and MacLorry) obviously weren't going to accept any evidence, no matter what it consisted of, because it wasn't "scientific" enough.

Here's a deal for you: I'll answer your question about "undergunned" if you post this: Your own evidence that the Matunas formula is correct. I'll accept anecdotal evidence from your own experience on big game with various cartridges, bullets, etc. This doesn't have to only include the animals you've taken, but the big game you've seen killed by other people.

Those aren�t studies, they�re stories. Everyone has them and they don�t rise to the level of a �study�.

As experienced as Mule Deer is, he�s not the only expert who has an opinion on the subject. In fact, many of the formulas came from vary experienced hunters who didn�t have an aversion to using numbers to explain the lethality of high powered firearms. Mule Deer says they are all BS and that settles the debate for many of his followers.

Mule Deer wasn�t driven off the thread by any nasty or personal insults, but by questions an �expert� should have answers to. Truth be known it was Mule Deer who implied that MacLorry�s profession of engineer was some sort of mental defect that prevented him from understanding the importance of shot placement, when in fact it�s that technical training that found the flaw in Mule Deer�s argument. Go back and look. Mac asked how Mule Deer knew someone was undergunned, and that�s when Mule Deer decided to leave the thread. Obviously, there�s an answer to that question, but it requires admitting some means of quantifying killing power, all of which was pronounced to be BS.

Sounds like you�re promoting ignorance. We only have our modern society because some among us were able to measure and quantify the physical world. And yes, they are always in search of a better bullet, a better drug, a better source of energy, etc. Lets denigrate them for that.

Sounds like the lazy-man�s solution to me. Just tell yourself you don�t need to carry that heavy magnum because it won�t help if your shot is a bit off.

BTDT with the heavy magnums,Gath.....your post is more horseshidt....just like Matuna's tables.
Gee, Bob! I believe you are fired up. Excellent point, and well put too.

Personally, I have taken big game with a number of cartridges that might be classed as heavy magnums, including various .300's including the WSM, Winchester, H&H, Weatherby and Remington Ultra Magnum. I have a lot of experience with the .338 Winchester Magnum, (three continents and at least a dozen species of big game), and the .375 H&H as well. Have taken animals weighing 1000 pounds or more with the .338. 375 and .416 Rigby, with rifles weighing up to 10 pounds, and have carried them quite a few miles.

Have also had my companions take game with cartridges from the .340 Weatherby to the .458 Lott. Have even had to help them kill stuff that they'd already punctured more than once.

Have also killed what is generally considered big game (37 species) with around 50 different cartridges, on four continents.

But I would guess my experience isn't scientific enough for a guy like you.

Forgot to mentiuon that my wife (who has never shot a game animal with any magnum) and I have killed a bunch of 500-1000 pound game animals very neatly with the .270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser, .280 Remington, .308 Winchester and .30-06.

In fact I can't recall one of them going over 75 yards before keeling over, and most went less than 40 yards. My biggest elk was shot with a .30-06 and a "standard" (not enhanced) 180-grain factory load at 250 yards, and went about 20 feet.

I would welcome both Gath Sten and MacLorry to provide details of their experiences that contradict ours.
Characters like MacLorry and Gath Sten are who like to debate from an esoteric framework. They believe that a mathematical formula will explain how a cartridge works. Any real world experience is "subjective" and not cerebral enough. However the likes of many here would rather marinate a backstrap than a calculator.
Should also mention that I went through these theories years ago as a deadly force instructor for a sheriff's office. After all the math was explained, it came down to sufficient bullet placement to stop the life threatening action. What all the fancy theories couldn't account for was the mental and physical condition of the assailant. The surest remedy were well placed multiple hits (double taps) with the biggest caliber you could handle.

Mac and Garth would make better use of their time in the field wearing blaze orange, course it'd only be a "story".
Well it died from that wound, but how much further would the deer run if shot in the same place with a .270 win? Impossible to know as each situation and animal is different. I don�t think you can claim less tissue damage increases to odds of the animal going down and staying down with such a shot, or even claim it makes no difference how much damage is done.

Maybe we should try that shot with the 20mm Mac seems to think I have and see how far the deer flies and in how many directions. grin

If I had measured the distance traveled on all the game I've shot or been around when shot, then averaged it according to cartridge used, I would venture to say that "Magnum" type cartridges have resulted in a longer overall average distance that game has traveled after the shot when compared to the standard 243's, 270's and '06's. This is due to the fact that a significant percentage of the gut shots, azz shots, and legs blown off have been with 300 Weatherbys, 7mm Mags, and the like. With similar shot placement, sure they will drop game as fast, maybe even a bit faster than your standard 270 class rounds. But when one factors in the miles spent tracking because somebody decided they needed a 338 Win Mag for a mule deer, then proceeded to ass shoot it after missing it three times and scoping themselves twice, it kinda blows the overall average. The simple fact is, most folks just can't shoot these big rounds (not counting everyone here on the fire, we are all He-Man types that are impervious to recoil smirk ).

That, to me, is the biggest problem with the OGW calculations. It doesn't take into effect the most important part of the equation: The Shooter.

More power is fine, as long as you can handle it. Most of us, once our rifles hit 18lbs. of recoil or thereabouts, have reached a limit.

As far as experience goes, I may not have seen as much dead schit as some folks here (I'm 28), but I've guided, killed, or personally seen somewhere around 20-30 head of big game go down every year, for as long as I can remember.

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that".
Characters like MacLorry and Gath Sten are who like to debate from an esoteric framework. They believe that a mathematical formula will explain how a cartridge works. Any real world experience is "subjective" and not cerebral enough. However the likes of many here would rather marinate a backstrap than a calculator.

[Linked Image] Very well put my friend. I like calculators too, but they just don't taste as good as a good backstrap or tenderloin. grin

BTDT with the heavy magnums,Gath.....your post is more horseshidt....just like Matuna's tables.

You are spot on Bob......

I shot this hog with a big magnum, he went down at the shot, got up and then proceeded to run off and amazingly left NO BLOOD TRAIL. I had a difficult time finding him and only found him by hearing his movement in the brush. I had to finnish him with a shot to the head with my handgun

[Linked Image]

Some cannot seem to grasp the fact that a larger wound does not mean a faster demise. There is plenty of damage but not a fast end

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

If I had measured the distance traveled on all the game I've shot or been around when shot, then averaged it according to cartridge used, I would venture to say that "Magnum" type cartridges have resulted in a longer overall average distance that game has traveled after the shot when compared to the standard 243's, 270's and '06's. This is due to the fact that a significant percentage of the gut shots, azz shots, and legs blown off have been with 300 Weatherbys, 7mm Mags, and the like. With similar shot placement, sure they will drop game as fast, maybe even a bit faster than your standard 270 class rounds. But when one factors in the miles spent tracking because somebody decided they needed a 338 Win Mag for a mule deer, then proceeded to ass shoot it after missing it three times and scoping themselves twice, it kinda blows the overall average. The simple fact is, most folks just can't shoot these big rounds (not counting everyone here on the fire, we are all He-Man types that are impervious to recoil smirk ).

That, to me, is the biggest problem with the OGW calculations. It doesn't take into effect the most important part of the equation: The Shooter.

More power is fine, as long as you can handle it. Most of us, once our rifles hit 18lbs. of recoil or thereabouts, have reached a limit.

As far as experience goes, I may not have seen as much dead schit as some folks here (I'm 28), but I've guided, killed, or personally seen somewhere around 20-30 head of big game go down every year, for as long as I can remember.

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that".

Any formular based on FPE is doomed to failure..

DUncan MacPhearson has come up with a math model that is proven to be 100% accurate. Duncan spends a chapter explaining why FPE is meaningless in determining a cartridges leathality

[Linked Image]

Nor will any amount of power
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

PG: Good post....exactly wink

John....It's easier and cheaper to read a table than it is to bust your ass paying for hunts,building and buying rifles in different calibers to see the differences in the field on animals,taking time from work to go on hunts,etc.

It's easier to read tables than it is to put in the range time and round count to practice so that you can put a bullet where it belongs under hunting conditions...

Not that all this isn't fun mind you! grin But it is expensive and time consuming......a labor of love so to speak.

Many today want instant gratification and short cuts;easy answers to complex questions......they want to be told that such and such a caliber will guarantee results even if they do a lousy job of shooting;that certain scopes will guarantee hits at any distance;certain bullets will kill if indifferently placed,and powerful cartridges will kill notwithstanding the skill sets of the user....guys who depend on this stuff are the real "lazy" one's...

.....there has to be a dozen questions on here a month that could be very easily answered if the OP's just got out and shot and killed some animals...

Which is why it cracks me up when someone gets on here and tells us that field experience is "worthless" (because they are "stories"),and not scientific enough because the conditions are not "controlled"....bull shidt....hunting is not a "controlled" circumstance,and all shooters are not created equal...which is why some hunters want to put a touching faith in "tables",and others never even look at them,except for home amusement....

Rant over...not directed at you of course..... smile
People that do things all the time, know what they know and they know what they don't know.

People that read books, look at formula's, listen to internet experts don't know what they don't know.

Its obvious too that these two characters just like to argue.
Those who engage are merely foils to allow them to continue their electronic diatribe. They'd rather push keys than pull triggers to prove a point.

John....It's easier and cheaper to read a table than it is to bust your ass paying for hunts,building and buying rifles in different calibers to see the differences in the field on animals,taking time from work to go on hunts,etc.

It's easier to read tables than it is to put in the range time and round count to practice so that you can put a bullet where it belongs under hunting conditions...

Not that all this isn't fun mind you! grin But it is expensive and time consuming......a labor of love so to speak.

Many today want instant gratification and short cuts;easy answers to complex questions......they want to be told that such and such a caliber will guarantee results even if they do a lousy job of shooting;that certain scopes will guarantee hits at any distance;certain bullets will kill if indifferently placed,and powerful cartridges will kill notwithstanding the skill sets of the user....guys who depend on this stuff are the real "lazy" one's...

.....there has to be a dozen questions on here a month that could be very easily answered if the OP's just got out and shot and killed some animals...

Which is why it cracks me up when someone gets on here and tells us that field experience is "worthless" (because they are "stories"),and not scientific enough because the conditions are not "controlled"....bull shidt....hunting is not a "controlled" circumstance,and all shooters are not created equal...which is why some hunters want to put a touching faith in "tables",and others never even look at them,except for home amusement....

Rant over...not directed at you of course..... smile

I tried to take Deer with one of those formulars and ballistics charts once, but had no luck the deer just ran off. Turns out they can't read and were unimpressed

smile good one.

One of the best answers in this thread

I’ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn’t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it’s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It’s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

Im still wanting to hear more on this one...what kind of shock would that be? Hemmoragic, neuro, what? If it was a hemo based shock a vital organ or artery had to be damaged at some point to cause the blood loss? Short of damage to the brain itself all death is brought about by a lack of perfusion to the vitals, whether it is caused by damage to the circulatory, respiratory system or a loss of fluids.

I feel proper bullet construcion and placement is far more important that a couple thousands of bullet diameter or a belt on the case. I have seen people get into trouble because they could not control what they thought was the best choice of weapon but I have yet to see anyone saved because their poor shooting was offset but a larger caliber, more speed etc.
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

I’ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn’t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it’s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It’s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

Im still wanting to hear more on this one...what kind of shock would that be? Hemmoragic, neuro, what? If it was a hemo based shock a vital organ or artery had to be damaged at some point to cause the blood loss? Short of damage to the brain itself all death is brought about by a lack of perfusion to the vitals, whether it is caused by damage to the circulatory, respiratory system or a loss of fluids.

I feel proper bullet construcion and placement is far more important that a couple thousands of bullet diameter or a belt on the case. I have seen people get into trouble because they could not control what they thought was the best choice of weapon but I have yet to see anyone saved because their poor shooting was offset but a larger caliber, more speed etc.

Exactly he gives no details of what organs/tissue was hit

I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover.

How do you know?

This is a great post.
Gee, I've seen a gemsbok bull gut-shot at 200 yards with a .375 H&H by a companion of mine. The .375 is a more powderful rounds than the .370, by any measure, yet the bull went two miles before it was tracked down and finished.

What I wonder is whether the elk or the gemsbok is truly scientific experiment?

What I wonder is whether the elk or the gemsbok is truly scientific experiment?

Of course not........it's a "story"......field observations don't count...

Not conducted under lab (controlled) conditions,of course..... whistle smile
Ahh that's why those two geniuses discount all the experienced hunters and continue to tell them/we/us/you that you're doing it wrong
As my old friend Melvin Forbes says, "Examples of one are never valid."

That seems to be what GS seems to have so far....
What strikes me is the number of hunters who seem to lack a basic understanding mammalian anatomy. The only animals that I have ever seen drop on the spot with a gut shot were actually hit in the spine or the top of the pelvis. I take any ones account of an animal dropping instantly from a gut shot with a grain of salt because it just does not add up, regardless of caliber.

Similarly, I hear stories of animals that were shot "perfectly", but the animal got up and ran off. Often resulting in the hunter discounting the cartridge or bullet used. In my observations the majority of these failures are actually poorly placed shots, often to the very top or very bottom of the spine, resulting in a stunned animal, but not a severed spinal cord.
I think that if rifle hunters approached killing BG animals a bit more like bowhunters do,they might find the whole process pretty simple....bow hunters "know" that hitting the right spot is crucial to success....

But for some reason, rifle hunters make the whole process complex,riddled with theory,and magic,and get bogged down in the process.

Thinking on this issue of being "undergunned",I remind myself..."People kill these things with sticks and strings..." and I'm supposed to worry with a 270? crazy
Yeah...

I've known several bowhunters who are perfectly happy with a .220 Swift or .243 Winchester for the rifle hunting they do.

As a matter of fact, one of the early points in my trend toward smaller cartridges and calibers was the period of intense bowhunting I did in the late 1980's. When you slip a broadhead through both lungs of a bull elk and he goes less than 100 yards before literally tumbling over, you begin to understand that kinetic energy isn't everything!
JB: In a past life, I bowhunted,too....it is astonishing what a sharp broadhead will do.... eek

I begain to question FE with I started handgun hunting in the 70's and found that they could flatten game as good as any rifle without all of the "kinetic energy" of a rifle
Amazing, isn't it?

Shoot 'em where they live with anything that cuts off the blood supply, and they die pretty quickly.

Of course, they don't teach that in college courses in engineering. Luckily I majored in biology!
Amazing, isn't it?

Shoot 'em where they live with anything that cuts off the blood supply, and they die pretty quickly.

Of course, they don't teach that in college courses in engineering. Luckily I majored in biology!

INDEED...
Originally Posted by Neurosurgery
A myth is an assertion which has either been disproven by careful experiment or for which there is no historical or scientific evidence in cases where it is reasonably expected. Belief in remote effects of penetrating projectiles may have originated with hunters and soldiers, but their reality is now well established in a broad body of scientific literature... -- Neurosurgery, February 2011 - Volume 68 - Issue 2 - pp E596-E597

Originally Posted by Berger Bullets
The VLD design is different, penetration before expansion, and as it expands [the bullet] fragments to enhance the wound cavity for massive tissue damage. The VLD will penetrate several inches of hide, muscle, and bone before expanding and fragmenting, causing tremendous hydraulic shock and fragments that wreck the vitals and drops the animal in its tracks. Berger Bullets video

Originally Posted by Chuck Karwan
Possibly even more significant is that a study conducted in North Carolina involving shooting large goats in the lungs with high velocity high energy frangible projectiles indicates that the large temporary cavity created by such a projectile can cause a severe blood pressure spike to the animal's brain causing instant incapacitation. In effect it is an artificially induced massive stroke. The test animals had special blood pressure monitoring probes surgically inserted into one of the animal's major neck arteries to the brain well prior to the shooting. When the projectile had a large and violent enough temporary cavity to cause a severe blood pressure spike, the animal was instantly incapacitated. The Hornady TAP rounds have energies and temporary cavity sizes well beyond those shown to cause instant incapacitation in the tests. -- Hornady Tactical Application Police Ammunition Test Report and Application Guide, Hornady Manufacturing, Inc. Grand Island, Nebraska (2008) p. 56

If you read the entire article you�ll find that both McPherson and Fackler has been debunked by modern science. It looks like Roy Weatherby was right.

If nothing else read Energy transfer required for remote neural effects. Then remember some of our local experts cite Fackler to claim no energy is transferred by the bullet to the target.

Modern science supports MacPherson and Fackler,not the junk science that you post about
Actually, in my experience MacLorry has a real point. The interior damage from Berger bullets does kill big game quicker.

I was one of the gun writers who shot a lot of animals with VLD's in a major test in New Zealand. We also autopsied a bunch of animals from young feral goats to mature red stags, and that is indeed how VLD's work: They go in a couple of inches or so and then pretty much fragment, destroying far more vital tissue than any other expanding bullet I've ever seen.

This also correlated to the average distance the animals went before falling from heart/lung shots. This was the shortest distance I've found in many years of pacing the distance from the initial hit to the dead animal.

However, the half-dozen rifles used in New Zealand ranged from the .257 Roberts with 115-grain VLD's to the .300 Winchester Magnum with 185-grain VLD's. They all killed similarly, despite the difference in bullet weight, diameter, and kinetic energy. At any range out to 350 it was hard to tell the difference: If the bullets hit the right place the animal died quickly. There weren't enough animals shot beyond 350 (and some were shot out to 550) to come to any conclusion.

So the OGW formula still wasn't confirmed.

So you think this study is junk science do you? About the Authors:

Amy Courtney currently serves on the faculty of the United States Military Academy at West Point. She earned a MS in Biomedical Engineering from Harvard University and a PhD in Medical Engineering and Medical Physics from a joint Harvard/MIT program. She has taught Anatomy and Physiology as well as Physics. She has served as a research scientist at the Cleveland Clinic and Western Carolina University, as well as on the Biomedical Engineering faculty of The Ohio State University.

Michael Courtney earned a PhD in experimental Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has served as the Director of the Forensic Science Program at Western Carolina University and also been a Physics Professor, teaching Physics, Statistics, and Forensic Science. Michael and his wife, Amy, founded the Ballistics Testing Group in 2001 to study incapacitation ballistics and the reconstruction of shooting events.

Check out the section titled "II. Physics of the ballistic pressure wave" and you'll see that Fackler was completely wrong about Newton's laws and energy transfer.
We need more pictures!!!

[Linked Image]
A skwirl shot with a 450gr. hard cast bullet out of a .45-70 case.

[Linked Image]
A twiddler shot with a 165gr. MRX out of a .30-06 case.

[Linked Image]
A yummy cow shot with a 53gr. TSX out of a .223PV case.

All three of these have something in common:

bullet placement.....

whistle

A fragile bullet into the chest cavity is indeed deadly, but it is not because of "kinetic energy transfer". Secoundary fragments makes a wider wound channel
Oh, and they were all killed with one shot, though it might be hard to infer.....

Hydraulic pressure, not "hydraulic shock" and energy transfer in an inelastic colision is BS. No consevation of energy in an inelastic collision
Originally Posted by UncleJake
We need more pictures!!!

[Linked Image]
A skwirl shot with a 450gr. hard cast bullet out of a .45-70 case.

[Linked Image]
A twiddler shot with a 165gr. MRX out of a .30-06 case.

[Linked Image]
A yummy cow shot with a 53gr. TSX out of a .223PV case.

All three of these have something in common:

bullet placement.....

whistle

Excellent!!!1

Oh, yes. It's astonishing how much soup results from a fragmenting Berger in the chest cavity!

As I noted, my observations of quite a few animals indicate that bullet fragmentation makes far more difference than the caliber, bullet weight or any of the other OGW fluff.

But what the duck do I know? I'm just a stoopid electrician, and not a dreamy engineer (long sigh......).

'Course, I like how engineers ALWAYS put "Subject To Field Verification" on the plans they give me. And then I draw all over those plans with a red pen with the corrections necessary to make it work in the real world.
Here's a bullet that a friend used to take a 5x5 Oregon Elk a few years back. 225gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw from Federal Premium 338 Winchester Magnum. Observe the perfect bullet performance:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then consider that that Elk, having been hit a hair too high behind the shoulder with that bullet at less than 50 yards, ran for several hundred yards before bedding down and being found alive two hours later. Took two additional shots to finish him.

Horsepower can't make up for shot placement.

Perfect bullet performance can't make up for shot placement.
Odd how some of the engineers who post here aren't into "field verification."
I love numbers, I try to quantify things when possible, love things like the Strasbourg tests, but can't get away from the fact that an antelope when hit in square in the lungs by a 3700 fps Ballistic Tip from a 264 Win Mag will still trot around for a few seconds, just like those hit by a 243 with 100 grain core lokts
I understand trying to explain something mathematically, but there are so many variables to consider when it comes to hunting that the task is daunting to say the least. One thing can be said, the size of normal hunting calibers bullets in relation to game is so small that any difference of 50grs in weight is a drop in the bucket compared to the size of the animal.

I always go back to what robin said, you know, the stick and string thing with the critter dyin'. That pretty much makes arguments about energy and bullet size just seem silly.

What about an atl-atl?
Hydraulic pressure, not "hydraulic shock" and energy transfer in an inelastic colision is BS. No consevation of energy in an inelastic collision

So two researchers with PhD degrees in Physics and Medical Physics are totaly wrong is that what you claim? I see Amy serves on the faculty of the United States Military Academy at West Point. Looks like the Army thinks she knows her stuff.

Amy Courtney currently serves on the faculty of the United States Military Academy at West Point. She earned a MS in Biomedical Engineering from Harvard University and a PhD in Medical Engineering and Medical Physics from a joint Harvard/MIT program. She has taught Anatomy and Physiology as well as Physics. She has served as a research scientist at the Cleveland Clinic and Western Carolina University, as well as on the Biomedical Engineering faculty of The Ohio State University.

Michael Courtney earned a PhD in experimental Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has served as the Director of the Forensic Science Program at Western Carolina University and also been a Physics Professor, teaching Physics, Statistics, and Forensic Science. Michael and his wife, Amy, founded the Ballistics Testing Group in 2001 to study incapacitation ballistics and the reconstruction of shooting events.

Check out the section titled "II. Physics of the ballistic pressure wave" and you'll see that Fackler was completely wrong about Newton's laws and energy transfer.

Getting into the dynamics involved in shooting people is a completely different proposition than shooting animals, mental condition and physiological state appear to be more important than anything else. Also there is still considerable debate even within the forensic community of what is accepted and what has not been readily accepted or confirmed thorugh peer review.

I have seen enough people shot and the aftermath of shootings to understand that nothing can be taken for granted. I have seen people fall down thinking they were shot when they were not even scratched. I am also intimently familiar with a guy taking a 12g foster slug through the armpits and fighting nurses in the ER.

I have my own theory of "hydrostatic shock" and believe it could be a spike, not in brain signal but in the form of a pulmonary embolism but I will save that for another day. My brain is full right now and I still have studying to do.
Odd how some of the engineers who post here aren't into "field verification."

What's the point if we can't even agree on the underlying physics of energy transfer? I post a paper from highly qualified and regarded researchers that goes into the energy transfer of the bullet to the target and the response is that it's all BS, and apparently everyone else agrees with that or is afraid to speak up least they be ostracized as well.
I also find it interesting that Hornady is indicating their rounds have a similiar terminal ballistic profile of what was "allegedly" (note sarcasm) the most effective in the goat testing. Hornady TAP and XTP rounds were notorious for being only slightly more dynamic than ball ammo with small hollow points and minimal expansion characteristics. The XTP in particular was designed at the request of the FBI who at the time placed a tremendous emphasis on penetration above almost everything else.

I will take you on your word for that. My google-fu is weak and unlikley to find a 2008 Hornady release that is more than likely outdated with new offerings.

Please tell me your related to Lee, it would clear up a lot of questions.
I also know a long-time cop who was involved in a lot of shootings who firmly believes that ANY cartridge from the 9mm Parabellum to the .45 ACP will do about the same things. This is because of decades of "field verification."
Mac,
Im not going to argue physics, not my field, but I will argue that wrecking the pump, pipes or fluid levels will lead to a dead animal and without damaging one of the three you will have a long and possibly unsuccessful chase regardless of what was put into/thru an animal.
I also know a long-time cop who was involved in a lot of shootings who firmly believes that ANY cartridge from the 9mm Parabellum to the .45 ACP will do about the same things. This is because of decades of "field verification."

I carried 9mm, .40 and .45 with everything from 115+p+ to 230 ball and never let that alter my tactics in anyway. Goal was always to hit them in the important parts and keep hitting until the problem went away or I ran out of ammo. Going to an autopsy its tough to really tell anything other than there is a hole in something, no way of looking at damage from a handgun round and saying that must be a particular bullet or caliber. The only exception to that is an xray of a knee that took a .44 special glaser safety slug, absolutely desinigrated.
No consevation of energy in an inelastic collision

True. But it doesn't just disappear either. Work gets done.

It's not all about KE, the 22 Hornet vs. 45-70 example demonstrates that.

But it's not all about momentum either. Would you rather take a fastball, or a 45 ACP round? The fastball has a lot more momentum.

Mac,
Im not going to argue physics, not my field, but I will argue that wrecking the pump, pipes or fluid levels will lead to a dead animal and without damaging one of the three you will have a long and possibly unsuccessful chase regardless of what was put into/thru an animal.

Spot on.......
Originally Posted by mathman
No consevation of energy in an inelastic collision

True. But it doesn't just disappear either. Work gets done.

It's not all about KE, the 22 Hornet vs. 45-70 example demonstrates that.

But it's not all about momentum either. Would you rather take a fastball, or a 45 ACP round? The fastball has a lot more momentum.

Exactly... It is about putting a hole in the correct loacation

I bet Mac and Garth believe in man made global warming too.

I say BS, so much tax money and work wasted for something as simple as make a hole in a living creature and it bleeds out.

The link in the quote is to the Strasbourg goats tests and here is Dr. Fackler's eview of Marshal, Saanow's book and the Strasbourg test (if there ever was such)

http://www.firearmstactical.com/streetstoppers.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Book Review
Review By Martin L. Fackler, MD.

Marshall E.P., Sanow E.J.: Street Stoppers --The Latest Handgun Stopping Power Street Results, CO, Paladin Press, 1996. (374 Pages, $39.95)

Background

The authors of this book are gunwriters who have close ties to bullet companies that specialize in lightweight handgun bullets shot at higher than usual velocities. They have published numerous articles, and a previous book, Handgun Stopping Power -- the Definitive Study, which are essentially unabashed advertisements for this type of bullet.

Rather than a "study," their work consists of unsupported pronouncements. A "study" implies serious intellectual work, using accepted scholarly guidelines. A "study" provides a source of verification so that serious readers can peruse the raw data and decide for themselves if the authors have interpreted it correctly. The more marginal the reputation for truthfulness of the authors, the more critical such independent verification becomes. The authors, however, have repeatedly refused to allow any independent review of their "data" -- claiming some strange need to protect their sources.

Fortunately, the great majority of law enforcement groups have ignored the Marshall and Sanow "Definitive Study" and opted for the heavier, slower bullets, which have proved far more reliable than the faster, lighter bullets that they replaced.1

Marshall - Sanow Can't Beat the Long Odds -- Wound Wizards' Tally Too Good To Be True (Soldier of Fortune Jan 94, pp. 64-65) presents the facts in a way that allows the interested layman to comprehend why the impossible regularity of the Marshall - Sanow data has caused professional statisticians, unanimously, to declare it bogus -- or "too good to be true." More recently, Duncan MacPherson has written, "it is almost impossible for a layman with no knowledge of statistics to avoid the 'too good to be true' trap in manufacturing or doctoring data," and "Any claim that WTI (Wound Trauma Incapacitation) can be assessed within a few percent based on combat shooting data is based on ignorance, or fraud, or both."2 "Statistician Dan Watters from the University of South Carolina" is mentioned on page 330 of "Street Stoppers." It appears that Marshall and Sanow are implying that there exists a professional statistician who doesn't burst out laughing when presented with their "data." I was especially interested in this Watters because all of the professional statisticians, who I know have seen the Marshall - Sanow "data," were in clear and unequivocal agreement that the "one-shot stop statistics" were so flagrantly bogus that nobody competent in statistics could believe them to be genuine. I tried to reach Watters: the University of South Carolina directory does not have any such person listed -- and the Department of Statistics there denies that any such person works for them, or has in the past. I remain eager to contact any professional statistician who thinks he or she can support the Marshall - Sanow "data." Further evidence regarding these authors' credibility (or lack thereof) is contained in the details reviews of "Handgun Stopping Power." 3,4

In mid-1992, Sanow made an abortive attempt to delude law enforcement by publishing several articles in the popular gun press in which he claimed that the heavier, slower bullets were failing with great regularity. He included details of about a dozen purported incidents and mentioned the departments involved. In response to Sanow's onslaught on the 9mm WW 147 grain JHP bullet, SGT Mike Dunlap, Rangemaster at Amarillo, TX, PD contacted every department for which Sanow claimed poor results with this bullet in his "anti-subsonic" articles. Mike submitted his results to Law and Order: they showed that Sanow had misrepresented what these departments found. In the November 1992 issue, Law and Order published three letters contradicting Sanow's "data" (p. 90). SGT William Porter, head of the Michigan State Police Marksmanship Unit wrote, "I hope that those who read this article will not be influenced by what Sanow wrote about what happened in the Michigan State Police shooting, because it didn't happen that way." In a note introducing these letters, Bruce Cameron, Editorial Director of Law and Order wrote, concerning Sanow's article, "...we do apologize for printing information that has proven to be in error."

In mid-1993, the results of an authorless "study" done purportedly by shooting more than 600 goats in Strasbourg, France, were circulated, anonymously, throughout the handgun community. A copy of these "Strasbourg Tests" was sent to the Firearms Training Unit of the FBI just before a scheduled meeting of the Wound Ballistics Committee. The committee members, all respected pathologist or trauma surgeons, were unanimous in their opinion that these "tests" were, in fact, a hoax -- and had been fabricated, most likely by somebody without a medical background. A detailed analysis of these tests was published in the Wound Ballistics Review.5

Conceptual Problems in "Street Stoppers"

This book is filled with contradictions, inconsistencies, incongruities, and outright errors. These include:

On page two we find "...there is no substitute for bullet placement...." Yet, the "one-shot stop" concept contradicts the necessity for good bullet placement: a shot that disrupts nothing but skin and the fat of the abdominal wall is counted equal to one that goes through the heart or aorta. This "one-shot stop" concept is of great advantage, however, to these gunwriter/bullet salesmen authors: it says, "buy the bullets we recommend and you can forget about all those hours of practice -- just hit your adversary, with one shot, in any part of the torso, and 96% of them (more than 19 out of 20) will immediately cease their aggression."

On page 201 they wrote "The issue of lethality is strictly one of shot placement; the issue of stopping power is more one of energy transfer." So again, buy our bullets and shot placement doesn't matter.

On page 161, "we have had a number of calls from agencies who...selected loads that looked great in gelatin but proved to be dismal failures in the most realistic laboratory of all -- the street." On page 162, "Bullets recovered from people rarely resemble those recovered from gelatin," and on page 251, "Generally, bullets which expand perfectly in bare gelatin and water are too strong for good expansion in humans." Despite this and other gelatin bashing, we find a photograph of a bullet being fired through gelatin on the cover of "Street Stoppers," and 85 photographs of bullets shot in gelatin throughout the book. Indeed, Marshall and Sanow claim to use shots in gelatin as the basis for their "predicted one-shot stop" percentages. Unfortunately, however, we found no calibration BBs in any of the gelatin blocks shown. Without this calibration none of these shots can be considered valid: gelatin consistency varies greatly with temperature and how it was made. The mandatory calibrating of gelatin is as fundamental to scientific method as verifying the accuracy of a sensitive balance with a known weight.

On page 193 we are told that those who assumed that the FBI Miami shootout would have turned out differently if Agent Dove's bullet had perforated Platt's heart (rather than stopping before reaching it) were wrong. Marshall and Sanow evidently just discovered that some physical activity can occur after a person is struck in the heart by a bullet. Unfortunately, they overlooked the fact that this activity usually ceases within a dozen seconds -- Platt took much longer than that as he ran around while killing two FBI agents and wounding five.

On page 198, "The 147-grain subsonic is a low momentum round." In fact, the 147 grain subsonic possesses more momentum (0.65 lb-sec) than the 115 grain Silvertip bullet (0.62 lb-sec) which it replaced.

Comments Related To Specific Chapters

CHAPTER 4 -- "Strasbourg Goat Tests." Here Marshall and Sanow reproduced the aforementioned anonymous "Strasbourg Tests." In analyzing these purported test results, Marshall and Sanow found an "extremely high rank correlation" with their very own "actual street results." Interestingly, if we compare the shot trajectories in the purported "Strasbourg Tests" with that of the most common shots in humans, we find:

A bullet fired into a goat from side to side, above the heart and behind the shoulder, will pass through or very near the major pulmonary vessels at a penetration depth of three to five inches, and must pass through the mediastinum, either near or through other very large blood vessels.

Conversely, with a shot passing front to back in the human torso, most bullets do not pass near or through the aorta or vena cava until more than six inches of penetration depth in a small slender person and at greater penetration depth in a larger person, or if penetrating at a significant angle.

Due to human anatomy, most shots from the front do not come near major blood vessels. Most go through perforating just lungs near their periphery or just loops of bowel.

Given these facts, the near perfect correlation of Marshall's random torso "one-shot stops" with the purported goat shot results is strong evidence that the anonymous "Strasbourg Test" results have been fabricated or doctored; or the "one-shot stop" results have, or both have.

Some might argue that the "Strasbourg Test" results could be from a real experiment; but one planned with incredible incompetence.5 A few things, however, do not ring true: for example, they mention great difficulty in finding enough goats for the study. Yet, strangely, each of the more than 600 goats found purportedly weighed within four pounds of 160 pounds. Anybody familiar with large animal experimentation realizes that here Marshall and Sanow apparently fell into another "too good to be true" trap.

CHAPTER 5 -- "Navy/Crane 9mm Ammo Tests." This chapter consist of ten pages of "excerpts" from a series of six year old tests done by the US military. Then Marshall and Sanow spent three pages pointing out the Navy researchers' "misunderstanding of the police shooting scenario," pontificating, and correcting "the errors in the cycle testing and in the subjective opinions." The reason for all this quibbling was that the Navy researchers had a 147 grain subsonic 9mm JHP bullet as their top choice. That couldn't be right, it disagreed with the gunwriter/bullet salesmen. So Marshall and Sanow reworked the "numbers" and guess what: a 115 grain +P+ round came out on top. Yes, "reworking the numbers" so that bullets they are touting come out on top seems to be a specialty of these gunwriter/bullet salesmen.

CHAPTER 6 -- "Police Marksman/Fairburn Tests." Here we find the Marshall - Sanow spin on an abortive collection of subjective opinions submitted to Police Marksman magazine purportedly by law enforcement officers. I recall Dick Fairburn calling me before his study started and mentioning that Marshall was very upset at the prospect of such a study. Cases came in slowly, after three years of collection Dick had less than 200 shootings with handguns. He wisely stopped the study, but unwisely Police Marksman published what had been collected. In 1992, I discussed with Dick the problems with his study, which included:

How could he tell that some of the reports sent to him were not being made up? or slanted by the reporter? or misrepresented through ignorance? With his study as described there was no way he could avoid being victimized by those with a need to have his study support the bullets that have already declared to be the most effective.

Any data collection, short of gathering every shooting for a particular time period from a particular police department, is invalid. Unless all cases are included, the unscrupulous investigator can "prove" anything he wants by just selectively including the cases that tend to support his preconceived theory, and omitting the ones that don't.

Here again, Marshall and Sanow appear to have "reworked the numbers" in claiming that Fairburn's study supports their "data." "The 147-grain subsonic JHP is the least effective expanding 9mm caliber according to Fairburn...." Eleven shootings were reported for this bullet: interestingly it had a "50.0%" success ratio. Given the success or nonsuccess type of compilation (yes or no -- no maybes), getting 50.0% outcome from a sample of 11 is interesting mathematics indeed. However, even if we assume that most of the cases sent to Dick Fairburn were honest and unbiased, there are far too few cases to support any valid conclusions for any particular bullet. The only possible indication of any value might come from a look at the comparative percentages for the entire group of cases. One would expect Fairburn's "success ratio" to be higher than Marshall's "one-shot stop" percentages: the "one-shot stop" being a sort of super success. Yet we find just the opposite -- and dramatically so. The overall "success ratio" for all of Fairburn's 187 handgun shooting incidents was only 49% while Marshall's overall "one-shot stop" percentages for the same four handgun calibers was 78%. Yes, I think this, the only statistic with enough cases to assume any kind of validity tells us a great deal about Marshall's "one-shot stop" data.

CHAPTER 7 -- "Royal Canadian Mounted Police Ammo Tests." In this chapter, Marshall and Sanow lifted, verbatim, ten pages of text and half of the data summary from the Technical Report "Comparative Performance of 9mm Parabellum, .38 Special and .40 Smith & Wesson Ammunition in Ballistic Gelatin," by Dean Dahlstrom and Kramer Powley, published by the Canadian Police Research Centre in September 1994. Unfortunately, half the shots in this study were done at a distance of three meters and half at a distance of fifty meters and Marshall and Sanow failed to indicate which half of the data summary they included: the shots at 3 or those at 50 meters -- or possibly a combination of the two. They also failed to indicate which shots were made from a four inch barrel and which from a nine inch barrel.

In Canada, as in the USA, reports from government laboratories are not copyrighted, so the material can be reproduced without violating any law. It is scholarly practice, however, to ask permission of the authors and acknowledge this permission if granted. Permission was not requested from Dahlstrom or Powley. These Canadian researchers are not happy about having their names associated with a book by Marshall and Sanow; they are even more disturbed that their meticulously referenced text was altered by deleting not only the list of references but the superscripts; making it appear as if Dahlstrom and Powley did not use any references. This not only makes the Canadian authors look scientifically illiterate but robs the authors they cited (and quote) of proper recognition for their work. By deleting these references Marshall, Sanow and Paladin Press have published information and quotations from six articles that appeared in the Wound Ballistics Review (which is copyrighted) without acknowledgment or permission.

CHAPTER 8 -- "Secret Service Ammo Tests." Here a "1972 Secret Service Ammo Evaluation" is presented. This seems pointless in view of the changes in handgun ammunition in the past 24 years. This is not the only problem, however, with this data. I visited the Secret Service lab in the early eighties and observed some of the their testing. They were using National Institute of Justice (NIJ) gelatin "standards" 20% gelatin shot at 10 degrees Centigrade. Like everybody but the NIJ, the Secret Service didn't have a refrigerator they could set at 10 C. They kept the gelatin at 4 degrees C and let it sit at room temperature before shooting for a time period they had determined by sticking a thermometer in the middle of the block and determining how long it took to warm to 10 C. It doesn't take a great deal of scientific acumen to recognize that these blocks warm from the outside in, and that when the temperature of the middle of the block is 10 C, most of the block will be at a higher temperature. As with many US Government agencies, the technician doing the bullet testing had no training in science or experimental method, and had no supervision by anybody who did. Any scientist who has worked with ordnance gelatin knows that its characteristics change greatly with temperature, and recognizes that any tests done using the "setting out to warm" method are clearly invalid.

CHAPTER 15 -- "Updated Street Results." The figures presented here allow us to compare the present "one-shot stop" statistics with earlier versions of this same "data base" (from Petersen's Handguns November 1988). Here, again, Marshall and Sanow's "too good to be true" problem rears its ugly head. If, as claimed, they simply increased their "data base" by adding more cases, about as many "one-shot stop" percentages would be expected to decrease as would be expected to increase. The "Updated Street Results," however, show that the "one-shot stop" percentages for 48 of the 60 comparable bullets increased, while only eight decreased (four remained the same). All of those that decreased were found in the lowest two of their respective caliber groups. Marshall and Sanow did not comment on these extremely unlikely ("too good to be true") results. Possibly an alternative explanation is that shooters are becoming much more accurate. No, I forgot, according to Marshall and Sanow, only lethality is dependent on shot placement. "Stopping power" is what they claim to be measuring and, again, according to their dogma, "the issue of stopping power is more one of energy transfer." Could it be that the same bullets, shot at the same velocity, are "transferring more energy" these days? Maybe the ozone hole or global warming has something to do with it.

CHAPTER 19 -- "Black Talon and Winchester Supreme SXT." It is obvious, that in order to explain their "street results" Marshall and Sanow must convince their readers that the reliable and permanent mechanisms by which bullets disrupt tissue, that have been known throughout history, are no longer valid. They have apparently been disturbed by the success of the Winchester "Talon" bullets (which their "street results" show to be "one of the least effective hollowpoints" -- while the Hydra-Shoks are always right up there near the top). Consider (from page 229): "It seems clear that the talons themselves were not adding to the load's overall wounding and stopping power, in spite of the medical sense it made that they should add to the effectiveness." The cutting mechanism of the talons, of course, does add to the effectiveness of this bullet, putting the talon in a class by itself, well above hollow point bullets that have no added cutting mechanism. The denial of this indisputable fact is an almost evangelistic appeal which says to the reader "throw out all your previous knowledge, all learning, all science: we will save you from ignorance, believe in us, we are the sole source of truth regarding bullet effects.

CHAPTER 22 -- This chapter is a 24 page advertisement for Hydra-Shok, Starfire, and Quik-Shok ammunition by the inventor of these "gimmick" rounds. Just like the rest of the book, this advertisement is couched in terms to make it appear to be a valid, objective article by a nonbiased observer. It is clear that the Hydra-Shok, with erect post, gets some extra penetration depth compared to other bullets of equal expanded diameter, velocity and weight. To those who understand that in physics there is no "free lunch" it is also clear that this extra penetration depth can only be gained at the expense of a lessened effective diameter of permanent tissue crush. To recognize this, however, apparently takes more understanding of how bullets disrupt tissue than possessed by most bullet testers: so the Hydra-Shok has sneaked by without having this trade-off detected.

CHAPTER 23 -- "New Ammo: Rhino/Razor, Quik-Shok, and Omega Star." Marshall and Sanow devoted eight pages to the "Rhino/Razor" bullet. Those were the "magic" bullets that hit the national headlines between Christmas and the end of 1994. A Glaser/MagSafe like projectile with the shot held in place with a polymer formerly used to paint airplanes, this bullet was advertised to cause instant death from a hit anywhere in the body -- a real "one-shot stopper." As one might predict, Marshall and Sanow loved it -- wrote eight pages about it: but evidently just before "Street Stoppers" was to go to press the "Rhino/Razor" ammo was found to be in violation of SAAMI pressure standards -- its inventor recalled it and withdrew from the ammunition market. Well, can't win them all -- but at least it filled eight pages!

CHAPTER 24 -- "Effects of Multiple Bullet Impacts." "Street Stoppers," advertised as the sequel to "Handgun Stopping Power," contains the same errors and misconceptions. Again, they have proven Duncan MacPherson right in his assertion that it is nearly impossible for those unfamiliar with statistics to avoid the "too good to be true trap" in manufacturing or doctoring data.2 This chapter purports to show that two shots in the torso have essentially no more effect than one. For the 42 loads listed, two shots produced a 0% higher "one-shot stop" percentage in 8 loads, 1% higher in 18 loads, 2% higher in 10 loads, 3% higher in 3 loads, and 4% higher in 3 loads. This Marshall - Sanow "data" show that two hits produce only about one percent higher "stopping power" than one hit over a wide range of calibers and loads. The absurdity of this "finding" is exceeded only by the preposterous regularity of the "data." Of course, a single shot cannot cause less tissue disruption, in reality, than that same shot plus another hit; but any set of real data has data scatter (especially shots into the human body). If the superiority of two shots is only 1% as shown by the "data," the probability that none of the 42 cases would show better results for the single shot (due to data scatter) is about one in 80 million. To repeat, the chance that these "data" are real and not fabricated or doctored in some way is about one in 80 million.

CHAPTER 25 -- "Shotgun and Rifle Results." Here, some purported "one-shot stop" statistics are given for long guns. They show a 100% success rate for the top two .223s -- but only 98% for all three 12 gauge slugs. The .308 MatchKing averaged between 98 and 99% and was declared "intensely lethal" by our gunwriter/bullet salesmen. That is certainly not the story found in testing or actual practice by police snipers.6,7 This round was anything but "intensely lethal" when it passed through Randy Weaver's shoulder (four inches of muscle tissue) at Ruby Ridge without deforming at all -- or even slowing Weaver down.

APPENDICES -- There are a lot of pages in "Stopping Power" filled with things that appear strangely out of place and have nothing to do with the rest of the book's contents. Appendix "B" consists of an autopsy report describing two shots in the chest and one in the hand. Appendix "C" consists of another autopsy report describing a gunshot wound of the head. These two rather ordinary autopsy reports just sit there, with no commentary or explanation of any reason for their inclusion; just filling pages.

Summary

In view of the contradictions, credibility problems, "too good to be true" statistics, and clear indications that the authors of "Street Stoppers" fail to understand the most basic of scientific principles and discourse, nothing in this book can be relied upon. The authors appear to have painted themselves into the corner of the gun culture belonging to the intellectually challenged "true believers." No intelligent reader will tolerate a nonfiction book devoid of references: the astute reader checks references, knowing that even the valid scientific literature authors misinterpret their sources from time to time.

"Street Stoppers" is a compilation of fantasy: written in the arrogant, dead certain tone of the con man. Everything echoes "trust me." The reader is constantly preached to, with evangelistic fervor: and without equivocation implored to believe in nonsense with no basis in established fact. This book is the antitheses of honest, intelligent, scientific discourse in which the evidence is laid out, dispassionately, always with clear references so skeptical readers can check out the sources and raw data for themselves. In scientific discourse readers are not asked to believe, but to consider -- and to think for themselves.

ACKNOWLEDGMENT -- I thank Duncan MacPherson for his help, not only for the probability calculations, but for the entire manuscript and making many useful suggestions.

References

Fackler ML: "FBI 1993 Wound Ballistics Seminar: Efficacy of Heavier Bullets Affirmed." Wound Ballistics Rev 1994; 1(4): 8-9.

MacPherson D: Bullet Penetration -- Modeling the Dynamics and the Incapacitation Resulting from Wound Trauma. El Segundo, CA, Ballistic Publications, pp. 22-23.

Roberts GK, Wolberg EJ: "Book Review, Handgun Stopping Power: The Definitive Study." Assn of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners Journal 1992; 24(4): 383-387.

Roberts GK, Wolberg EJ: "Definitive Study on Handgun Stopping Power?" Soldier of Fortune, December 1992, pp. 40-41, 69-71.

Fackler ML: "The 'Strasbourg Tests:' Another Gunwriter/Bullet Salesman Fraud?" Wound Ballistics Rev 1994; 1(4): 10-11.

Haag LC: "Federal Premium .308 Win. 168 gr. JHP-BT - a SWAT/HRT Round with Some Idiosyncrasies." Wound Ballistics Rev 1995; 2(2): 8-10.

Fackler ML: "Matchking Bullet -- Past, Present and Future." Wound Ballistics Rev 1995; 2(2): 11-12.

This review is published with the permission of Fighting Firearms who invited the review and originally published it.

So I just skimmed the Amy Courtney study, and as I thought, MacLorry doesn't jack schitt in what he is talking about. The article basically supports JB's and JWP475' initial analysis'.

Of interesting note:

"Rather than lean too
heavily on (possibly biased) expert opinions, the veracity of the
report should be determined by the degree to which the
reported results find support in other experimental findings." (page 1)

So, we see concurrence with the notion that Field Verification is critical.

"Pressure wave hypothesis:
Other factors being equal, bullets producing larger
pressure waves incapacitate more rapidly than bullets
producing smaller pressure waves." (page 1)

Of key note is the phrase "other factors being equal"....

"Applying this formula directly requires detailed
knowledge of the instantaneous mass and velocity
changes of a bullet at every point along the wound
channel." (page 2)

So that phrase RIGHT there pretty much limits the applicability of this formula in hunting scenarios. Which is sorta what JB has said all along.

Oh, did I mention that this article deals in principle with JHP handgun rounds for use on people?

"The fact that the average magnitude of the ballistic
pressure wave is inversely proportional to penetration
depth means that cutting the penetration depth in half
(for a given amount of kinetic energy), doubles the
pressure. However, this property will only increase
incapacitation up to a point, because the pressure wave
must be created inside of a visco-elastic medium and in
close proximity to major blood vessels or vital organs to
have its effect. A bullet that fails to penetrate into the
thoracic cavity or that barely penetrates might have little
effect. Once the penetration is below 9� or so, we
expect the impact of the pressure wave will be reduced" (page 3)

Placement, placement, placement.....

"The fact that Vpcc is linearly related to the penetration
depth and that 1" P is inversely related suggests that
there might be a tradeoff between the two mechanisms
because increasing penetration typically increases the
crush volume while decreasing the pressure wave.
Likewise, decreasing penetration increases the pressure
wave but typically decreases the crush volume. Perhaps
finding the �sweet spot� in this tradeoff is one key
element in designing and selecting ammunition for a
particular application and risk assessment." (page 3)

Bullet, bullet, bullet.....

"Note that, unlike the blood loss
mechanism, the probability of eventual incapacitation
with the fast mechanism is less than 100%." (page 6)

And a "energy dump" will not compensate for poor shot placement.

"Even at rifle levels of peak
pressure wave magnitude (p > 2000 PSI), a significant
fraction of deer remain on their feet for over 5 seconds." (page 7)

correlated with:

"Table 2: Pressure wave magnitude, p; eventual fast
incapacitation probability, A0; fast incapacitation
characteristic time, tf; and slow incapacitation
characteristic time, ts for Group A through Group F.
(Uncertainty in last significant digit(s) is shown in
parentheses.)
Group P (PSI) A0 tf (s) ts (s)
A 1221(86) 0.645(13) 2.94(5) 8.18(11)
B 829(60) 0.433(16) 4.14(12) 10.73(9)
C 683(65) 0.329(24) 4.82(23) 10.25(9)
D 611(42) 0.195(29) 5.13(54) 10.07(8)
E 650(53) 0.393(15) 5.36(16) 12.13(8)
F 554(57) 0.379(4) 6.56(39) 12.33(14)" (page 6)

shows that rifle bullets are not the focus of this study. Just in case some one forgot.....

"This suggests that humans are
more sensitive to pressure wave effects than deer and
goats, with the asymptotic behavior of A0 closer to 1." (page 7)

and that the scope of this study is incapacitating terrorists, not deer, or elk, or cape buffalo.

And in case the the point was lost,

"There is no contradiction, because the
data set as a whole (and thus the general trend of the
average incapacitation time in Figure 1) depends more
strongly on the slow incapacitation mechanism, which is
presumably dominated by blood loss caused by vascular
tissue damage." (page 8)

removing blood trumps energy dump in killing effectiveness.

Oh, BTW, this caveat:

"A. Cautions and Limits of Interpretation
Goats are not people, and the shot angle used in the
Strasbourg tests was particularly favorable to loads with
shallow penetration. It would be an error to infer that the
loads that worked well in the goat tests would
necessarily work well in self-defense applications with a
variety of shot angles and different penetration
requirements.

Do not be overly impressed by the propensity for shallow
penetrating loads to produce larger pressure waves.
Bullet selection criteria should first determine the
required penetration depth for the given risk assessment
and application, and only use pressure wave magnitude
as a selection criterion for bullets which meet a minimum
penetration requirement" (page 8)

Hmmmmmmm.

Thank you for the link. wink

Again, I am just a simple electrician, who is no way competent to argue the points of physics. But I did go to college to study history, and I do know how to read....
Jake: Good post!
Jake: Good post!

+1..........
Here is one for ya...
This was a 70lb pig shot with a 204 ruger 32gr v-max.

This is not my prefered bullet for taking hogs as I like expansion, but I also like to have better penetration than the v-max offers.

The pig was facing me, just very slight quarting away, with his head down feeding. I aimed for the neck and the shot went slightly high. because of the angle this caused the bullet to impact too far back and just to the right of the spine in front of the rear leg. The bullet penetrated 8"-9" at a slightly downward and rearward angle.

The hog died instantly. Not a typical result from such a poor placement, but that is the nature of hunting. Had this pig been shot with a 338 win mag and behaved the same way I know that there would be those touting the stopping power and energy of the mighty 338.

The results:
[Linked Image]
The recoverd bullet from the pigs ham.
[Linked Image]
There have been other controlled studies of cartridge/bullet combinations over the years.

One made during elk culling on the National Bison Range in Montana compared the .30-06 to the .375 H&H. The only difference noted was that the .375 was somewhat more likely to leave a blood trail. Otherwise the results were pretty much identical--with good bullet placement.

Not at all surprising given the Federal 30-06 HE load launches a 180 grain bullet at 2880 fps and has an OGW of 511 lbs or better out to 400 yards. Unless they are risking misplaced shots by shooting at ranges of more than 400 yards the 30-06 is more than adequate for the job and dead is dead. Let them try the same experiment with a 6.5x55 and see if they duplicate the Swedish results.

Carful, you're getting close to coming up with a killing power formula yourself.

And a bullet through the brain kills faster than the nerves can transmit the pain. Problem is the target sometimes moves just as I'm squeezing off my shot and I can't always get ideal shot placement. Now I can worry about my comfort and use an easy to carry low-recoil rifle/load, or I can anticipate such a misplaced shot and use a caliber that can punch through thick bone and take out the vitals on the other side. I don't believe in being a minimalist when it comes to taking game, nor do I want overkill that destroys too much of the meat. I find the OGW formula strikes a good balance.

Good God Almighty. Where is Steelhead when you really need him?
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
Here is one for ya...
This was a 70lb pig shot with a 204 ruger 32gr v-max.

This is not my prefered bullet for taking hogs as I like expansion, but I also like to have better penetration than the v-max offers.

The pig was facing me, just very slight quarting away, with his head down feeding. I aimed for the neck and the shot went slightly high. because of the angle this caused the bullet to impact too far back and just to the right of the spine in front of the rear leg. The bullet penetrated 8"-9" at a slightly downward and rearward angle.

The hog died instantly. Not a typical result from such a poor placement, but that is the nature of hunting. Had this pig been shot with a 338 win mag and behaved the same way I know that there would be those touting the stopping power and energy of the mighty 338.

The results:
[Linked Image]
The recoverd bullet from the pigs ham.
[Linked Image]

This is pretty similar to what I've seen with that same load on deer. However, to be fair to the OGW formula, which is complete BS, it does suggest that 70 to 100 pound animals are within the capability of that cartridge.
You can all relax now as this will be my last post on this topic.

I was preparing to continue to argue my points until I read the article �Review of criticisms of ballistic ... tests, and the Marshall and Sanow data�. Anyone reading this article will quickly conclude there's an on-going heated debate within the scientific community regarding the mechanisms by which bullets quickly incapacitate and kill. Fackler and MacPherson seem to be on one side of debate and a slew of other researchers are on the other side as evidenced by the paper Scientific Evidence for �Hydrostatic Shock�

If the experts can't agree or even be civil with each other there's no hope of doing so here.

The University of Utah hosts an on-line Firearms Tutorial. Here�s the section on Ballistics. Scroll down to Terminal ballistics and note that nearly every point being made is referenced back to scientific research which is detailed in the reference section. for anyone wanting to check the original research.

Another resource is the Terminal Ballistics page. It covers a wide range of data and the author may be a member of this forum as he writes �Discussion of Incapacitation has been known to get quite heated. In fact it often degenerates into personal attacks and name calling.� While the focus is on handguns, he does reference hunting as well. I think many will agree with his "Five Ps": Placement, Penetration, Physical Damage/Wound channel, Power/Energy, and Psychology.

Some may be interested in Hornady Terminal Ballistics

Sorry if I ruffled feathers, stirred up the dust, and woke up the sleeping dogs. Look on the positive side, this discussion has certainly helped many increase their post count.
Don't over think the math. Just buy a .270WCF. whistle

As long as we're reading stuff......

...........Cary asked him "How many elk have you killed with a 270?",expecting him to say perhaps a hundred. Forgett replied, "Over a thousand." He also told Cary that the 250 Savage and 257 Roberts were too light for elk;the 30-30 was effective only to about 150 yards when pointed well;the 30-40Krag and the 300 Savage were good and the 30/06 very effective........the 300H&H and the 375H&H,though good killers,were more gun than needed.......

Lucian Cary of TRUE magazine, interviewing Bill Forgett,a control hunter for Colorado F&G,in 1951.......Forgett tried rifles from the 220 Swift to the 375H&H but came to prefer the 270 with 130 gr bullets.......

Article by Fred Barker....Precision Shooting-October 2004.

Some stuff just never changes......
Funny thing Bob,
A friend who use to work as a predator control officer came to the same conclusion after trying every thing from .38 spec. (on trapped bears) up to the .458 mag.
He shot a bunch of dump bears every year and didn't want runners.

His favorite cartridge for that job was a .270 loaded with the old Winchester Silver Tip..
The .338 mag was his second choice..

Later on in life he mused the reason that they worked so well was that when the .270 and the .338 mag came out the bullets made for them were designed for their working vel. as they were the only cartridge in their respective cal. at the time..
Nrut: I think when it comes to this stuff, some things defy numbers...... whistle smile

We can only find this out shooting animals....
Wise decision Mac. The subject of terminal ballistics is to hunting what politics and economics are to the general public. Everyone has an opinion they believe is fact or is supported by the facts.

If nothing else you've shown that there are reputable scientists who believe hydrostatic or hydraulic shock is an important component of rapid incapacitation. I see these scientists give their e-mail address in the papers you linked to, so those who want to argue the physics can now do so with someone who has a PhD in physics.

As for me I�m going to go argue politics with rattlesnakes grin
The one cartridge that I personally believe through experience and the experience of trusted others that negates this OGW theory is the 22LR. God only knows what the record is but I'm sure that for bullet weight/powder charge/mv/ke/whatever it's killed WAY out of proportion to its size more than any other cartridge.
As a non-hunter who has training in physics (B.S. from MIT) and has published papers in scientific and medical journals, let me stick in my 2 cents.

1) The best theory is the one that fits the observed facts the best. if the facts don't fit the theory, you must either revise it or discard it. That is a basic rule of science, and engineering is based on science.

2) Would you shoot a game animal with a bullet that hits with less than 100 ft-lb energy? As Finn Aagaard once pointed out, an arrow that has less than 100 ft lbs energy kills quite well when it hits the heart-lung area. What does that say about kinetic energy as a measure of killing power?

3) In the absence of a well validated and agreed upon theory, you go with experience and observation.

4) So, as I'm not a hunter, let me quote from two old, experienced hunters/writers that I have a lot of respect for, and who have passed on to the Happy Hunting Grounds:

"I have some more news: game is not killed by foot-pounds of energy. In fact, the energy has little to do with killing power. Animals are killed by putting in the right place a bullet that penetrates deep enough and opens up adequately."

"Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill.

That, really, is all one needs to know about killing power."

The first quote is from Jack O'Connor in the Gun Digest 1974 article on the 7x57 Mauser.

The second quote is the conclusion to an article by Finn Aagaard on Killing Power Myths in Rifle Magazine.

To me, these comments, added to those of JB and other experienced hunters here, make a lot of sense. When you have several experienced people coming to similar conclusions, you got to listen. So, if and when I ever get to go hunting I will practice my marksmanship, take an adequate caliber with a good bullet, try to get close enough to place my shot accurately in the proper place, and hope to come home with some wild game meat after a clean kill. As the fellow said, I may be wrong, but at least I'm in good company!
Originally Posted by jlin222
As a non-hunter who has training in physics (B.S. from MIT) and has published papers in scientific and medical journals, let me stick in my 2 cents.

As someone who has a B.S. from MIT maybe you�ll be interested in the following two papers published by someone who has a PhD from MIT.

Ballistic pressure wave contributions to rapid incapacitation in the Strasbourg goat tests

Scientific Evidence for �Hydrostatic Shock�

I�m not going to argue the point, but being able to kill something by putting an arrow, knife, or spear through the heart doesn�t disprove the ability of large and rapid energy dumps being able to damage the central nervous system as the above studies claim. Problem is the folks on this forum can�t even agree on the basic physics of a bullet dumping energy into the target, or not. My conclusion is that this subject is the equivalent of religion to hunters and no one is going to change anyone�s mind about what they believe.

I would like to see proof of the Strasbourg tests ever taking place. Dr. Fackler hS STATED THat the pressure wave isn't high enough to cause incapacitation especially at handgun velocities
This article answers the criticisms of Fackler and others concerning the Strasbourg goat tests and the Marshall and Sanow data.

I�m not suggesting that any of this should change anyone�s mind, only that it shows researchers with even better formal credentials than Fackler disagree on the physics. You know what works for you, just as I know what works for me. I can live with that.

I am not convinced of the tests in the first place since they can not be confirmed and Marshal and Sanow were mag writers about cars before they suddenly became "terminal bullet performance" experts

I�m not going to argue the point, but being able to kill something by putting an arrow, knife, or spear through the heart doesn�t disprove the ability of large and rapid energy dumps being able to damage the central nervous system as the above studies claim.

And what Amy Courtney wrote:

"Note that, unlike the blood loss
mechanism, the probability of eventual incapacitation
with the fast mechanism is less than 100%." (page 6)

"There is no contradiction, because the
data set as a whole (and thus the general trend of the
average incapacitation time in Figure 1) depends more
strongly on the slow incapacitation mechanism, which is
presumably dominated by blood loss caused by vascular
tissue damage." (page 8)

"A. Cautions and Limits of Interpretation
Goats are not people, and the shot angle used in the
Strasbourg tests was particularly favorable to loads with
shallow penetration. It would be an error to infer that the
loads that worked well in the goat tests would
necessarily work well in self-defense applications with a
variety of shot angles and different penetration
requirements.

Do not be overly impressed by the propensity for shallow
penetrating loads to produce larger pressure waves.
Bullet selection criteria should first determine the
required penetration depth for the given risk assessment
and application, and only use pressure wave magnitude
as a selection criterion for bullets which meet a minimum
penetration requirement" (page 8)

Which just goes to show that some people can't give up a losing argument..... whistle
As far as I can see these are papers that were submitted for publication several years ago. Were they actually published somewhere - because for a paper to be published it has to be submitted for peer review and approved by the peer reviewers and the editor for publication, which means that other experts in the field (peers) agree that it is worth publishing and the editor has to agree. The fact they were revised means that they were altered to answer criticisms from reviewers, but generally if they were accepted for publication it will so state, along with the date of acceptance. If these were NOT published that means they were not considered to be significant contributions to the field. Unpublished papers don't mean anything beyond the personal opinions of the authors.
Which just goes to show that some people can't give up a losing argument...

Or convince someone their religion is wrong.

Part of the problem with you and Gath Sten is that neither of you evidently comprehends one basic fact about animal physiology: Even if blood pressure is shut off suddenly, due to a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs, it takes about 10 seconds for the animal to become unconsciousness. This is why there's so little difference in the distance animals usually travel when shot through the chest cavity with various cartridges. If the bullet is sufficient to cause a sufficient leak, more bullet isn't going to speed up the process. This isn't usually taught in college physics classes.

10 seconds to run even with a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs. Now take a look at the Berger video and you�ll see two examples where the animal drops in their tracks. It�s obvious that something other than blood loss is going on which leads Berger to say �The VLD will penetrate several inches of hide, muscle, and bone before expanding and fragmenting, causing tremendous hydraulic shock and fragments that wreck the vitals and drops the animal in its tracks.�

If wrecking the vitals only cause loss of blood and blood pressure, the animals would have those 10 seconds Mule Deer was talking about. Maybe the video was edited, but Mule Deer says he was there and participated.
Originally Posted by JLin222
Were they actually published somewhere

The papers are basically summaries of many published studies which they cite such as following three:

Suneson A, Hansson HA, Seeman T: Pressure Wave Injuries to the Nervous System Caused by High Energy Missile extremity Impact: Part II. Distant Effects on the Central Nervous System. A Light and Electron Microscopic Study on Pigs. The Journal of Trauma. 30(3):295-306; 1990.

Treib J, Haass A, Grauer MT: High-velocity bullet causing indirect trauma to the brain and symptomatic epilepsy. Military Medicine 1996;161(1):61-64.

Toth Z, Hollrigel G, Gorcs T, and Soltesz I: Instantaneous Perturbation of Dentate Interneuronal Networks by a Pressure Wave Transient Delivered to the Neocortex. The Journal of Neuroscience 17(7);8106-8117; 1997.

All of which deal with injury and trauma caused by pressure waves. For someone to claim the effect doesn�t exist seems far fetched.

Again you miss the point of the post that you answer
Yes, they are reviews with a viewpoint. Big deal. Unpublished papers are not part of the scientific literature, unpublished reviews even less so. The fact that a review has a point of view isn't necessarily disqualifying, but if it has not been published by a reputable independent scientific journal, that would be disqualifying.

An unpublished paper by a PhD from MIT is no more impressive than an unpublished paper from Wassamatta U. BTW, many years ago I was talking with someone who had gotten a PhD from Harvard, and we both agreed that one of the subtle benefits of going to MIT or Harvard (or Caltech, where I've also gone) is that you're not necessarily impressed by someone just because they've gone to MIT or Harvard.
Which just goes to show that some people can't give up a losing argument...

Or convince someone their religion is wrong.

Part of the problem with you and Gath Sten is that neither of you evidently comprehends one basic fact about animal physiology: Even if blood pressure is shut off suddenly, due to a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs, it takes about 10 seconds for the animal to become unconsciousness. This is why there's so little difference in the distance animals usually travel when shot through the chest cavity with various cartridges. If the bullet is sufficient to cause a sufficient leak, more bullet isn't going to speed up the process. This isn't usually taught in college physics classes.

10 seconds to run even with a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs. Now take a look at the Berger video and you�ll see two examples where the animal drops in their tracks. It�s obvious that something other than blood loss is going on which leads Berger to say �The VLD will penetrate several inches of hide, muscle, and bone before expanding and fragmenting, causing tremendous hydraulic shock and fragments that wreck the vitals and drops the animal in its tracks.�

Undoubtedly something is going on here,as we have all seen it at one point or another....that instantaneous "lights out" crash where the recoil of the rifle is instantaeously followed by a thoroughly dead animal that collapses like an empty puppet,and without a single twitch....what we call it,what precisely causes it, I don't really know...and don't really care.

I have never used a Berger,but have seen it enough times with tougher bullets as well as fragmenting blow-up types that I have a hard time attributing it to just fragmentation,although undoubtedly that does it ,too.

Personally I think it's "velocity",violent disruption of tissue,as I have noticed it more at closer distances,and so long as the bullet gets inside, past bone and muscle, and expands very violently in vitals...and have seen it not only with fragmenting type bullets, but with bullets that fragment not at all,yet expands to a very wide frontal area, like a Bitterroot,expanding very violently.Innards look like soup after such treatment.

And have also noticed that such bullets seem to do better at distance when started from magnum cartridges;things like a 140 or 165 Bitterroot become hammers when started at 3200+ fps from a 7 RM or 300 Winchester magnum,even at 400 yards or so, about as far as I've used them.

I think the fragmenting bullets have much the same effect,expanding with a wide frontal area as well,but because of the lighter construction,the frontal area is "lost" as the bullet self destructs,so when we find it,(if we do),there is not much of that frontal area left.

I recall killing a buck up in Arroostook County in Maine, jumped in a cedar swamp and running at 35-40 yards;as the rifle recoiled I saw that his legs folded under him in mid air as he went completely loose,nosediving into the snow and dead as a mackerel from a lung shot....load was a 130 Nosler Partition from a 270 Winchester.A load that,according to some, should not be a very fast killer....

But then I have seen other animals,hit slightly wrong,at edges of lungs,or not quite squarely enough,or body shot(back of diaphragm),that carried on with terrible wounds....and have seen it enough that I tend to very much doubt "theories",and numerical quantifications of killing power,or magic in any bullet style,so that the only reliable thing I have personally witnessed that works,consistently and reliably, is good shot placement.

Power,regardless how it is measured,does not make up for it IME.
Originally Posted by JLin
An unpublished paper by a PhD from MIT is no more impressive than an unpublished paper from Wassamatta U.

Apparently you missed all the published papers dealing with injury and trauma caused by pressure waves.
Undoubtedly something is going on here,as we have all seen it at one point or another....that instantaneous "lights out" crash where the recoil of the rifle is instantaeously followed by a thoroughly dead animal that collapses like an empty puppet,and without a single twitch....what we call it,what precisely causes it, I don't really know...and don't really care.

Finally, an admission from a Kahuna that something other than blood or blood pressure loss is involved in that instantaneous "lights out" crash.

Some observe such a phenomena and want to know more about it and exploit it to their advantage. One such example is Roy Weatherby and the high-power calibers he developed.

But then I have seen other animals,hit slightly wrong,at edges of lungs,or not quite squarely enough,or body shot(back of diaphragm),that carried on with terrible wounds....and have seen it enough that I tend to very much doubt "theories",and numerical quantifications of killing power,or magic in any bullet style,so that the only reliable thing I have personally witnessed that works,consistently and reliably, is good shot placement.

I agree that the only consistent and reliable kill comes from good shot placement, but within your paragraph you�ve witnessed slightly wrong shot placement, which demonstrates that good shot placement is itself not guaranteed.

I use a larger than needed caliber to take advantage of that other effect you don�t care about, knowing that it�s not 100% either. It works for me.

Whether or not you think someone who teaches Physics at West Point is a hack with a PhD, this paper goes a long way in solving the mystery behind the inconsistency of ballistic pressure waves being able to incapacitated game. It also confirms that good shot placement is the only reliable means of getting a kill, something I don't dispute. However, I do contend, and others have confirmed, that shots sometimes go bad. You�ll see from the paper that the higher the peak pressure the high the percentage of test subjects incapacitated, or killed outright, yet some individuals seem to be resistant to the effect.

I think that explains the seemingly contradictory experiences many hunters have.

A PHD is not a Dr. or biologist
Well said JWP. Except for spine shots, all the big game animals and numerous foxes and coyotes I have killed all died from blood loss. The brain gets no oxygen via blood and things die

These scientists could learn a thing or two from hunters who have witnessed death many, many times in the field..
It is beyond absurd to argue a large magnum will not be more likely to kill an animal with a poorly placed shot.

That is not to say it will do it because of greater energy, shock, permanent wound channel diameter, or other force. But rather because there will be so many more bad shots with mangle-ums!

A guide camp I worked in had a standard meeting at the airstrip between guides and clients. One thing all guides wanted to know was what the clients were shooting. Many, if not most, had so many bad experiences with poorly-shot 338s they became last choice... There is nothing wrong with the 338 obviously, unless it is too much for the shooter...
I read through nearly all of this thread and see where a poster or two keeps insisting something along the lines of, "Yeah but you don't know how smart they are, they have multiple Phd's.." or something to that effect.

After getting my AAS in forestry from a technical college a couple decades ago, I was perplexed for several years when hearing some "expert guests" on talk shows (many times with a Phd.) that had reached unbelievably stupid conclusions.

I had an epiphany one day when I was told, "Some people are educated beyond their ability to synthesize the information."
This thread is still running? The test subjects for all this banter are so varied that no one formula neatly puts them in a box. However all of my "test subjects" have been wrapped in freezer paper awaiting their debut on the dinner table.

Whether or not you think someone who teaches Physics at West Point is a hack with a PhD, this paper goes a long way in solving the mystery behind the inconsistency of ballistic pressure waves being able to incapacitated game. It also confirms that good shot placement is the only reliable means of getting a kill, something I don't dispute. However, I do contend, and others have confirmed, that shots sometimes go bad. You�ll see from the paper that the higher the peak pressure the high the percentage of test subjects incapacitated, or killed outright, yet some individuals seem to be resistant to the effect.

I think that explains the seemingly contradictory experiences many hunters have.

You have great experience and knowledge surfing the internet, but apparently not much experience shooting game animals if you believe this crap. There is zero difference that I personally have seen in 40 some years thru 44 magnum (pistol bullet) 257 Roberts to 30-06 to 300WSM on killing deer unless the animal is shot in the head, neck, high shoulders/spine. Then the fragmenting or explosive bullet boys can eat their blood shot leaded meat all they want, but not me.

Finally the US Federal Imperial Government pays a lot of money to do research that comes to stupid conclusions as has been proven time and time again by history (the Courtney's seem to be related somehow hmmm). If they actually believed this esteemed research done at West Point, a high velocity (30-06) 30 caliber projectile would be favored over the current 22 caliber projectile, baffling stuff is it not?
You have great experience and knowledge surfing the internet, but apparently not much experience shooting game animals if you believe this crap.

I guess in 40 years you think you�ve done and seen it all. Then again, you only need to go back a page and you�ll see Kahuna BobinNH says �Undoubtedly something is going on here,as we have all seen it at one point or another....that instantaneous "lights out" crash where the recoil of the rifle is instantaeously followed by a thoroughly dead animal that collapses like an empty puppet,and without a single twitch....what we call it,what precisely causes it, I don't really know...and don't really care.� Apparently you�ve never seen this, or didn�t have the intellectual curiosity to wonder why some animals drop dead in their tracks.

The Ballistic Pressure Wave experiment explains why different hunters have different experiences with this effect.

What�s interesting is that you think your experience is so superior that no one else�s can be valid and that research showing something else must by a government conspiracy.

If they actually believed this esteemed research done at West Point, a high velocity (30-06) 30 caliber projectile would be favored over the current 22 caliber projectile, baffling stuff is it not?

Guess you�ve never heard about the volume of fire doctrine, which is the underpinning of the military assault rifle. Or heard about the military doctrine of wounding an enemy being better than killing him because of the number of troops needed to care for the wounded. Or heard about the Geneva Convention�s ban on using expanding bullets, which are needed to exploit the Ballistic Pressure Wave effect.
Or heard about the Geneva Convention�s ban on using expanding bullets, which are needed to exploit the Ballistic Pressure Wave effect.

You can always tell a real expert by they way they cite the Geneva Convention and how it bans expanding bullets.

John
Or heard about the Geneva Convention�s ban on using expanding bullets, which are needed to exploit the Ballistic Pressure Wave effect.

Yea, we've heard of the Geneva Convention, but unlike you we know that the Geneva Convention didn't address small arms munitions... Do some more googling and maybe you will get the correct convention/accord

Of course you ignore any all evidence by doctors that cliam that the "pressure wave isn't enough to cause incapacitation

Yea, we've heard of the Geneva Convention, but unlike you we know that the Geneva Convention didn't address small arms munitions... Do some more googling and maybe you will get the correct convention/accord

Thanks for the followup. Perhaps my post on the Geneva Convention was too vague. wink

John
Originally Posted by jpb

Thanks for the followup. Perhaps my post on the Geneva Convention was too vague. wink

John

I knew what you meant and you were spot on.... He just deserved another shot, that's all

OK, so I got the wrong convention, bid deal. You�re the guy who said �A PHD is not a Dr. or biologist�. Well the �D� in PhD stands for Doctor. Do some more googling, yourself. The principle of what I said is correct, which is the military is banned from using expanding bullets.

Of course you ignore any all evidence by doctors that cliam that the "pressure wave isn't enough to cause incapacitation

That was Fackler who based his argument on the idea that the lithotriptor produces pressure waves larger than those caused by most handgun bullets, yet cause no damage to soft tissues whatsoever. However, peer reviewed studies done in 2001 and 2003 show that lithotriptors do indeed produce soft tissue damage. (Lingeman JE, Kim SC, Keo RL, McAteer JA, Evan AP: Shockwave Lithotripsy: Anecdotes and Insights. Journal of Endourology 17(9):687-693; 2003. And Lokhandwalla M, Sturtevant B: Mechanical Haemolysis in Shock Wave Lithotripsy (SWL): I. Analysis of Cell Deformation due to SWL Flow-Fields. Physics in Medicine & Biology 46(2):413-437; 2001.)

Fackler was wrong even about handguns let alone rifles, deal with it.
We seem to have gotten of the track of big nasty cartridges and bullets killing animals with gut shots...... eek

How'd that happen? confused Where are we now?

Gath...my post about the "lights out" effect implies good placement....other than on woodchucks and crows,I have not seen it with lousy shot placement on larger animals.

Edited to Add: I take that back....I had it happen once.I was the perp,and a doe antelope was killed so instantly from a gut shot,behind the diaphragm, I only heard the bullet hit,losing her in recoil.I considered it an anomoly then, as I do now.

I doubt I could make it happen again at will.Not a good bet.

You're Google FU is weak today and you are grasping at straws, broken straws at best
Soft tissue damage is not incapacitation unless the damage is sever enough to vitals and that is something that you fail to realize.
Geneva convention, REALLY

A pressure wave can cause localized damage not remote damage and that is what Fackler states, of course you miss the details

The higher the velocity the more the so called pressure wave, which is "hydraulic presssure"
[quote=Gath_Sten}

Apparently you missed all the published papers dealing with injury and trauma caused by pressure waves. [/quote]

No, I didn't. I simply didn't mention it. But as long as you have, did you actually look at the reference section? I did, and I saw that almost half of them were unpublished, or references to lay literature - not exactly standard for "scientific" literature. Second, the papers you cite seem to set up a false straw man saying that Fackler and his colleagues don't believe that the "shock effect" exists as a physical phenomena or that it can cause injury. But that isn't really the issue. Anyone who has seen videos, or even still pictures, of bullets impacting ballistic gelatin (which I believe was developed by Fackler) can see that there is a shock wave that travels through gelatin. The physical phenomena is not at issue, the clinical effect IS. What Fackler is really saying is that, at handgun velocities the shock effect is negligible. So, the real issue, as jwp475 astutely points out, is whether shock effect can cause instant incapacitation. And in terms of that, all the cited genuine scientific literature in both papers is beside the point, because all the literature is addressing injury and NOT incapacitation. If you get shot in the finger you're injured, but are you incapacitated?

SPOT ON!!!!!!!
You're Google FU is weak today and you are grasping at straws, broken straws at best Soft tissue damage is not incapacitation unless the damage is sever enough to vitals and that is something that you fail to realize. Geneva convention, REALLY

Of course, but it�s Fackler who based his argument on the idea that the lithotriptor produces pressure waves larger than those caused by most handgun bullets, yet cause no damage to soft tissues whatsoever.

�A PHD is not a Dr. or biologist�, REALLY

A pressure wave can cause localized damage not remote damage and that is what Fackler states, of course you miss the details.

That�s not what Fackler states concerning the lithotriptor. Look it up (Fackler ML: What's Wrong With the Wound Ballistics Literature and Why. Letterman Army Institute of Research, Division of Military Trauma Research.)

The higher the velocity the more the so called pressure wave, which is "hydraulic presssure"

It�s more than just velocity. The formula is given in this paper under the heading �II. Method�. Any pressure wave traveling through a liquid is hydraulic pressure. It�s the difference between the crest and trough of the wave that�s important.

Ignorance is correctable, but you can't fix stupid
But as long as you have, did you actually look at the reference section? I did, and I saw that almost half of them were unpublished, or references to lay literature - not exactly standard for "scientific" literature.

If you go back to near the start of this thread you'll see others using populist books as the basis for their augment against incapacitation from ballistic pressure waves. If you want to pretend to be the judge of the quality of what�s being linked, comment on that. Also, you�ll see that much of what Fackler has published has not been peer reviewed either. How about providing a link to the pear reviewed studies you claimed you published.

Second, the papers you cite seem to set up a false straw man saying that Fackler and his colleagues don't believe that the "shock effect" exists as a physical phenomena or that it can cause injury.

It would be easy to establish the "shock effect" exists as a physical phenomena without shooting animals under controlled conditions. Just put your hand on one side of a pig and have someone hit it with a 2x4 on the other side and see if you can feel anything. Really, what did you think the studies were about?

So, the real issue, as jwp475 astutely points out, is whether shock effect can cause instant incapacitation. And in terms of that, all the cited genuine scientific literature in both papers is beside the point, because all the literature is addressing injury and NOT incapacitation. If you get shot in the finger you're injured, but are you incapacitated?

So you only looked at the two papers I gave you links to. If you had been following this thread you would have seen I linked to this paper as well. Note under section III. Results - Load 3: Where is says �One test subject was immediately deceased. Two out of four incapacitated test subjects were deceased within 24 hours.� In case you don�t remember, peer reviewed is not the gold standard of scientific inquire, it�s publishing the details of experiments so that others can duplicate or refute your findings. This paper meets that standard.

Maybe you should go watch the Berger video I linked to that shows two animals drop in their tracks and read what Mule Deer has to say about animals having a minimum of 10 seconds to run even with a shot that takes out the vitals. Is the video wrong, is Mule Deer wrong, or is it possible that the effect of the ballistic pressure wave is real, just not predictable?

Ignorance is correctable, but you can't fix stupid

Yet you like to point out minor mistakes as if they disqualify the larger argument. Now that�s stupid.

A medical doctor is more qualified to know what is incapacitating and what is not and that is not "minor". You fail to realize that wrong is wrong.... NOW that is stupid
© 24hourcampfire