Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gath_Sten
Originally Posted by BobinNH
There are plenty of studies....if you have hunted and shot any significant number of BG animals, or witnessed them being shot,with a broad variety of calibers and bullets...... guys like Mule Deer,JWP,and many others on here have seen more than the ordinary number of BG animals killed with a significant variety of combinations....including both good, bad, and indifferently or marginally placed shots.

Those aren�t studies, they�re stories. Everyone has them and they don�t rise to the level of a �study�.

I find it curious that a guy with the experience level of Mule Deer is argued with and contradicted to the point he is driven off the thread,when he posts something on the subject,simply because his answers don't correspond with the pre-conceived notions of those who want a different answer.Likely, those advancing the agenda could not polish his boots when it comes to actually killing game animals and knowing what it takes.

As experienced as Mule Deer is, he�s not the only expert who has an opinion on the subject. In fact, many of the formulas came from vary experienced hunters who didn�t have an aversion to using numbers to explain the lethality of high powered firearms. Mule Deer says they are all BS and that settles the debate for many of his followers.

Mule Deer wasn�t driven off the thread by any nasty or personal insults, but by questions an �expert� should have answers to. Truth be known it was Mule Deer who implied that MacLorry�s profession of engineer was some sort of mental defect that prevented him from understanding the importance of shot placement, when in fact it�s that technical training that found the flaw in Mule Deer�s argument. Go back and look. Mac asked how Mule Deer knew someone was undergunned, and that�s when Mule Deer decided to leave the thread. Obviously, there�s an answer to that question, but it requires admitting some means of quantifying killing power, all of which was pronounced to be BS.

My general observation in all of this is that those bemused by numbers,killing quotients,and reducing killing effectiveness to quantitative measure tend to be the least experienced when it comes to actually killing game.They are constantly in search of the mystical, the magical, combination that will guarantee(to the extent possible)anchoring hits with sloppy placement.

Sounds like you�re promoting ignorance. We only have our modern society because some among us were able to measure and quantify the physical world. And yes, they are always in search of a better bullet, a better drug, a better source of energy, etc. Lets denigrate them for that.

The more experience a guy has the less value he places on such stuff,and the more likely he is to just grab something reasonable and go hunting,his last concern being whether he has enough power or not....he will be successful regardless of what he shoots within reason.......mostly because he knows how to do it,and also knows if an animal gets away wounded,it was not for lack of power, but lack of proper shot placement....no formula will make up for sloppy shooting.

Sounds like the lazy-man�s solution to me. Just tell yourself you don�t need to carry that heavy magnum because it won�t help if your shot is a bit off.

BTDT with the heavy magnums,Gath.....your post is more horseshidt....just like Matuna's tables.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, Bob! I believe you are fired up. Excellent point, and well put too.

Personally, I have taken big game with a number of cartridges that might be classed as heavy magnums, including various .300's including the WSM, Winchester, H&H, Weatherby and Remington Ultra Magnum. I have a lot of experience with the .338 Winchester Magnum, (three continents and at least a dozen species of big game), and the .375 H&H as well. Have taken animals weighing 1000 pounds or more with the .338. 375 and .416 Rigby, with rifles weighing up to 10 pounds, and have carried them quite a few miles.

Have also had my companions take game with cartridges from the .340 Weatherby to the .458 Lott. Have even had to help them kill stuff that they'd already punctured more than once.

Have also killed what is generally considered big game (37 species) with around 50 different cartridges, on four continents.

But I would guess my experience isn't scientific enough for a guy like you.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Forgot to mentiuon that my wife (who has never shot a game animal with any magnum) and I have killed a bunch of 500-1000 pound game animals very neatly with the .270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser, .280 Remington, .308 Winchester and .30-06.

In fact I can't recall one of them going over 75 yards before keeling over, and most went less than 40 yards. My biggest elk was shot with a .30-06 and a "standard" (not enhanced) 180-grain factory load at 250 yards, and went about 20 feet.

I would welcome both Gath Sten and MacLorry to provide details of their experiences that contradict ours.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Characters like MacLorry and Gath Sten are who like to debate from an esoteric framework. They believe that a mathematical formula will explain how a cartridge works. Any real world experience is "subjective" and not cerebral enough. However the likes of many here would rather marinate a backstrap than a calculator.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Should also mention that I went through these theories years ago as a deadly force instructor for a sheriff's office. After all the math was explained, it came down to sufficient bullet placement to stop the life threatening action. What all the fancy theories couldn't account for was the mental and physical condition of the assailant. The surest remedy were well placed multiple hits (double taps) with the biggest caliber you could handle.

Mac and Garth would make better use of their time in the field wearing blaze orange, course it'd only be a "story".

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well it died from that wound, but how much further would the deer run if shot in the same place with a .270 win? Impossible to know as each situation and animal is different. I don�t think you can claim less tissue damage increases to odds of the animal going down and staying down with such a shot, or even claim it makes no difference how much damage is done.

Maybe we should try that shot with the 20mm Mac seems to think I have and see how far the deer flies and in how many directions. grin

If I had measured the distance traveled on all the game I've shot or been around when shot, then averaged it according to cartridge used, I would venture to say that "Magnum" type cartridges have resulted in a longer overall average distance that game has traveled after the shot when compared to the standard 243's, 270's and '06's. This is due to the fact that a significant percentage of the gut shots, azz shots, and legs blown off have been with 300 Weatherbys, 7mm Mags, and the like. With similar shot placement, sure they will drop game as fast, maybe even a bit faster than your standard 270 class rounds. But when one factors in the miles spent tracking because somebody decided they needed a 338 Win Mag for a mule deer, then proceeded to ass shoot it after missing it three times and scoping themselves twice, it kinda blows the overall average. The simple fact is, most folks just can't shoot these big rounds (not counting everyone here on the fire, we are all He-Man types that are impervious to recoil smirk ).

That, to me, is the biggest problem with the OGW calculations. It doesn't take into effect the most important part of the equation: The Shooter.

More power is fine, as long as you can handle it. Most of us, once our rifles hit 18lbs. of recoil or thereabouts, have reached a limit.

As far as experience goes, I may not have seen as much dead schit as some folks here (I'm 28), but I've guided, killed, or personally seen somewhere around 20-30 head of big game go down every year, for as long as I can remember.

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Characters like MacLorry and Gath Sten are who like to debate from an esoteric framework. They believe that a mathematical formula will explain how a cartridge works. Any real world experience is "subjective" and not cerebral enough. However the likes of many here would rather marinate a backstrap than a calculator.

[Linked Image] Very well put my friend. I like calculators too, but they just don't taste as good as a good backstrap or tenderloin. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
There are plenty of studies....if you have hunted and shot any significant number of BG animals, or witnessed them being shot,with a broad variety of calibers and bullets...... guys like Mule Deer,JWP,and many others on here have seen more than the ordinary number of BG animals killed with a significant variety of combinations....including both good, bad, and indifferently or marginally placed shots.

Those aren�t studies, they�re stories. Everyone has them and they don�t rise to the level of a �study�.

I find it curious that a guy with the experience level of Mule Deer is argued with and contradicted to the point he is driven off the thread,when he posts something on the subject,simply because his answers don't correspond with the pre-conceived notions of those who want a different answer.Likely, those advancing the agenda could not polish his boots when it comes to actually killing game animals and knowing what it takes.

As experienced as Mule Deer is, he�s not the only expert who has an opinion on the subject. In fact, many of the formulas came from vary experienced hunters who didn�t have an aversion to using numbers to explain the lethality of high powered firearms. Mule Deer says they are all BS and that settles the debate for many of his followers.

Mule Deer wasn�t driven off the thread by any nasty or personal insults, but by questions an �expert� should have answers to. Truth be known it was Mule Deer who implied that MacLorry�s profession of engineer was some sort of mental defect that prevented him from understanding the importance of shot placement, when in fact it�s that technical training that found the flaw in Mule Deer�s argument. Go back and look. Mac asked how Mule Deer knew someone was undergunned, and that�s when Mule Deer decided to leave the thread. Obviously, there�s an answer to that question, but it requires admitting some means of quantifying killing power, all of which was pronounced to be BS.

My general observation in all of this is that those bemused by numbers,killing quotients,and reducing killing effectiveness to quantitative measure tend to be the least experienced when it comes to actually killing game.They are constantly in search of the mystical, the magical, combination that will guarantee(to the extent possible)anchoring hits with sloppy placement.

Sounds like you�re promoting ignorance. We only have our modern society because some among us were able to measure and quantify the physical world. And yes, they are always in search of a better bullet, a better drug, a better source of energy, etc. Lets denigrate them for that.

The more experience a guy has the less value he places on such stuff,and the more likely he is to just grab something reasonable and go hunting,his last concern being whether he has enough power or not....he will be successful regardless of what he shoots within reason.......mostly because he knows how to do it,and also knows if an animal gets away wounded,it was not for lack of power, but lack of proper shot placement....no formula will make up for sloppy shooting.

Sounds like the lazy-man�s solution to me. Just tell yourself you don�t need to carry that heavy magnum because it won�t help if your shot is a bit off.

BTDT with the heavy magnums,Gath.....your post is more horseshidt....just like Matuna's tables.

You are spot on Bob......

I shot this hog with a big magnum, he went down at the shot, got up and then proceeded to run off and amazingly left NO BLOOD TRAIL. I had a difficult time finding him and only found him by hearing his movement in the brush. I had to finnish him with a shot to the head with my handgun

[Linked Image]

Some cannot seem to grasp the fact that a larger wound does not mean a faster demise. There is plenty of damage but not a fast end

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Well it died from that wound, but how much further would the deer run if shot in the same place with a .270 win? Impossible to know as each situation and animal is different. I don�t think you can claim less tissue damage increases to odds of the animal going down and staying down with such a shot, or even claim it makes no difference how much damage is done.

Maybe we should try that shot with the 20mm Mac seems to think I have and see how far the deer flies and in how many directions. grin

If I had measured the distance traveled on all the game I've shot or been around when shot, then averaged it according to cartridge used, I would venture to say that "Magnum" type cartridges have resulted in a longer overall average distance that game has traveled after the shot when compared to the standard 243's, 270's and '06's. This is due to the fact that a significant percentage of the gut shots, azz shots, and legs blown off have been with 300 Weatherbys, 7mm Mags, and the like. With similar shot placement, sure they will drop game as fast, maybe even a bit faster than your standard 270 class rounds. But when one factors in the miles spent tracking because somebody decided they needed a 338 Win Mag for a mule deer, then proceeded to ass shoot it after missing it three times and scoping themselves twice, it kinda blows the overall average. The simple fact is, most folks just can't shoot these big rounds (not counting everyone here on the fire, we are all He-Man types that are impervious to recoil smirk ).

That, to me, is the biggest problem with the OGW calculations. It doesn't take into effect the most important part of the equation: The Shooter.

More power is fine, as long as you can handle it. Most of us, once our rifles hit 18lbs. of recoil or thereabouts, have reached a limit.

As far as experience goes, I may not have seen as much dead schit as some folks here (I'm 28), but I've guided, killed, or personally seen somewhere around 20-30 head of big game go down every year, for as long as I can remember.

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that".

Any formular based on FPE is doomed to failure..

DUncan MacPhearson has come up with a math model that is proven to be 100% accurate. Duncan spends a chapter explaining why FPE is meaningless in determining a cartridges leathality

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No one on this thread has offered any evidence to substantiate any such claim. The studies are for good shot placement as evidenced by most being one shot kills. Find me a study where game was purposely shot outside the kill zone to gage the effect of different calibers. None exist as they would be unethical. What we have is opinion. You have yours and I have mine.

Nor will any amount of power

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

PG: Good post....exactly wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John....It's easier and cheaper to read a table than it is to bust your ass paying for hunts,building and buying rifles in different calibers to see the differences in the field on animals,taking time from work to go on hunts,etc.

It's easier to read tables than it is to put in the range time and round count to practice so that you can put a bullet where it belongs under hunting conditions...

Not that all this isn't fun mind you! grin But it is expensive and time consuming......a labor of love so to speak.

Many today want instant gratification and short cuts;easy answers to complex questions......they want to be told that such and such a caliber will guarantee results even if they do a lousy job of shooting;that certain scopes will guarantee hits at any distance;certain bullets will kill if indifferently placed,and powerful cartridges will kill notwithstanding the skill sets of the user....guys who depend on this stuff are the real "lazy" one's...

.....there has to be a dozen questions on here a month that could be very easily answered if the OP's just got out and shot and killed some animals...

Which is why it cracks me up when someone gets on here and tells us that field experience is "worthless" (because they are "stories"),and not scientific enough because the conditions are not "controlled"....bull shidt....hunting is not a "controlled" circumstance,and all shooters are not created equal...which is why some hunters want to put a touching faith in "tables",and others never even look at them,except for home amusement....

Rant over...not directed at you of course..... smile

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
People that do things all the time, know what they know and they know what they don't know.

People that read books, look at formula's, listen to internet experts don't know what they don't know.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its obvious too that these two characters just like to argue.
Those who engage are merely foils to allow them to continue their electronic diatribe. They'd rather push keys than pull triggers to prove a point.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

John....It's easier and cheaper to read a table than it is to bust your ass paying for hunts,building and buying rifles in different calibers to see the differences in the field on animals,taking time from work to go on hunts,etc.

It's easier to read tables than it is to put in the range time and round count to practice so that you can put a bullet where it belongs under hunting conditions...

Not that all this isn't fun mind you! grin But it is expensive and time consuming......a labor of love so to speak.

Many today want instant gratification and short cuts;easy answers to complex questions......they want to be told that such and such a caliber will guarantee results even if they do a lousy job of shooting;that certain scopes will guarantee hits at any distance;certain bullets will kill if indifferently placed,and powerful cartridges will kill notwithstanding the skill sets of the user....guys who depend on this stuff are the real "lazy" one's...

.....there has to be a dozen questions on here a month that could be very easily answered if the OP's just got out and shot and killed some animals...

Which is why it cracks me up when someone gets on here and tells us that field experience is "worthless" (because they are "stories"),and not scientific enough because the conditions are not "controlled"....bull shidt....hunting is not a "controlled" circumstance,and all shooters are not created equal...which is why some hunters want to put a touching faith in "tables",and others never even look at them,except for home amusement....

Rant over...not directed at you of course..... smile

I tried to take Deer with one of those formulars and ballistics charts once, but had no luck the deer just ran off. Turns out they can't read and were unimpressed

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
smile good one.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
It is plucked out of the air, probably on moonlit nights.

One of the best answers in this thread

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

I’ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn’t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it’s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It’s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

Im still wanting to hear more on this one...what kind of shock would that be? Hemmoragic, neuro, what? If it was a hemo based shock a vital organ or artery had to be damaged at some point to cause the blood loss? Short of damage to the brain itself all death is brought about by a lack of perfusion to the vitals, whether it is caused by damage to the circulatory, respiratory system or a loss of fluids.

I feel proper bullet construcion and placement is far more important that a couple thousands of bullet diameter or a belt on the case. I have seen people get into trouble because they could not control what they thought was the best choice of weapon but I have yet to see anyone saved because their poor shooting was offset but a larger caliber, more speed etc.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

I’ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn’t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it’s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It’s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

Im still wanting to hear more on this one...what kind of shock would that be? Hemmoragic, neuro, what? If it was a hemo based shock a vital organ or artery had to be damaged at some point to cause the blood loss? Short of damage to the brain itself all death is brought about by a lack of perfusion to the vitals, whether it is caused by damage to the circulatory, respiratory system or a loss of fluids.

I feel proper bullet construcion and placement is far more important that a couple thousands of bullet diameter or a belt on the case. I have seen people get into trouble because they could not control what they thought was the best choice of weapon but I have yet to see anyone saved because their poor shooting was offset but a larger caliber, more speed etc.

Exactly he gives no details of what organs/tissue was hit

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover.

How do you know?

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 49 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.