Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by UncleJake
Which just goes to show that some people can't give up a losing argument...

Or convince someone their religion is wrong.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Part of the problem with you and Gath Sten is that neither of you evidently comprehends one basic fact about animal physiology: Even if blood pressure is shut off suddenly, due to a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs, it takes about 10 seconds for the animal to become unconsciousness. This is why there's so little difference in the distance animals usually travel when shot through the chest cavity with various cartridges. If the bullet is sufficient to cause a sufficient leak, more bullet isn't going to speed up the process. This isn't usually taught in college physics classes.

10 seconds to run even with a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs. Now take a look at the Berger video and you�ll see two examples where the animal drops in their tracks. It�s obvious that something other than blood loss is going on which leads Berger to say �The VLD will penetrate several inches of hide, muscle, and bone before expanding and fragmenting, causing tremendous hydraulic shock and fragments that wreck the vitals and drops the animal in its tracks.�

If wrecking the vitals only cause loss of blood and blood pressure, the animals would have those 10 seconds Mule Deer was talking about. Maybe the video was edited, but Mule Deer says he was there and participated.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JLin222
Were they actually published somewhere

The papers are basically summaries of many published studies which they cite such as following three:

Suneson A, Hansson HA, Seeman T: Pressure Wave Injuries to the Nervous System Caused by High Energy Missile extremity Impact: Part II. Distant Effects on the Central Nervous System. A Light and Electron Microscopic Study on Pigs. The Journal of Trauma. 30(3):295-306; 1990.

Treib J, Haass A, Grauer MT: High-velocity bullet causing indirect trauma to the brain and symptomatic epilepsy. Military Medicine 1996;161(1):61-64.

Toth Z, Hollrigel G, Gorcs T, and Soltesz I: Instantaneous Perturbation of Dentate Interneuronal Networks by a Pressure Wave Transient Delivered to the Neocortex. The Journal of Neuroscience 17(7);8106-8117; 1997.

All of which deal with injury and trauma caused by pressure waves. For someone to claim the effect doesn�t exist seems far fetched.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Again you miss the point of the post that you answer

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yes, they are reviews with a viewpoint. Big deal. Unpublished papers are not part of the scientific literature, unpublished reviews even less so. The fact that a review has a point of view isn't necessarily disqualifying, but if it has not been published by a reputable independent scientific journal, that would be disqualifying.

An unpublished paper by a PhD from MIT is no more impressive than an unpublished paper from Wassamatta U. BTW, many years ago I was talking with someone who had gotten a PhD from Harvard, and we both agreed that one of the subtle benefits of going to MIT or Harvard (or Caltech, where I've also gone) is that you're not necessarily impressed by someone just because they've gone to MIT or Harvard.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gath_Sten
Originally Posted by UncleJake
Which just goes to show that some people can't give up a losing argument...

Or convince someone their religion is wrong.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Part of the problem with you and Gath Sten is that neither of you evidently comprehends one basic fact about animal physiology: Even if blood pressure is shut off suddenly, due to a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs, it takes about 10 seconds for the animal to become unconsciousness. This is why there's so little difference in the distance animals usually travel when shot through the chest cavity with various cartridges. If the bullet is sufficient to cause a sufficient leak, more bullet isn't going to speed up the process. This isn't usually taught in college physics classes.

10 seconds to run even with a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs. Now take a look at the Berger video and you�ll see two examples where the animal drops in their tracks. It�s obvious that something other than blood loss is going on which leads Berger to say �The VLD will penetrate several inches of hide, muscle, and bone before expanding and fragmenting, causing tremendous hydraulic shock and fragments that wreck the vitals and drops the animal in its tracks.�

Undoubtedly something is going on here,as we have all seen it at one point or another....that instantaneous "lights out" crash where the recoil of the rifle is instantaeously followed by a thoroughly dead animal that collapses like an empty puppet,and without a single twitch....what we call it,what precisely causes it, I don't really know...and don't really care.

I have never used a Berger,but have seen it enough times with tougher bullets as well as fragmenting blow-up types that I have a hard time attributing it to just fragmentation,although undoubtedly that does it ,too.

Personally I think it's "velocity",violent disruption of tissue,as I have noticed it more at closer distances,and so long as the bullet gets inside, past bone and muscle, and expands very violently in vitals...and have seen it not only with fragmenting type bullets, but with bullets that fragment not at all,yet expands to a very wide frontal area, like a Bitterroot,expanding very violently.Innards look like soup after such treatment.

And have also noticed that such bullets seem to do better at distance when started from magnum cartridges;things like a 140 or 165 Bitterroot become hammers when started at 3200+ fps from a 7 RM or 300 Winchester magnum,even at 400 yards or so, about as far as I've used them.

I think the fragmenting bullets have much the same effect,expanding with a wide frontal area as well,but because of the lighter construction,the frontal area is "lost" as the bullet self destructs,so when we find it,(if we do),there is not much of that frontal area left.

I recall killing a buck up in Arroostook County in Maine, jumped in a cedar swamp and running at 35-40 yards;as the rifle recoiled I saw that his legs folded under him in mid air as he went completely loose,nosediving into the snow and dead as a mackerel from a lung shot....load was a 130 Nosler Partition from a 270 Winchester.A load that,according to some, should not be a very fast killer....

But then I have seen other animals,hit slightly wrong,at edges of lungs,or not quite squarely enough,or body shot(back of diaphragm),that carried on with terrible wounds....and have seen it enough that I tend to very much doubt "theories",and numerical quantifications of killing power,or magic in any bullet style,so that the only reliable thing I have personally witnessed that works,consistently and reliably, is good shot placement.

Power,regardless how it is measured,does not make up for it IME.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/12/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JLin
An unpublished paper by a PhD from MIT is no more impressive than an unpublished paper from Wassamatta U.

Apparently you missed all the published papers dealing with injury and trauma caused by pressure waves.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Undoubtedly something is going on here,as we have all seen it at one point or another....that instantaneous "lights out" crash where the recoil of the rifle is instantaeously followed by a thoroughly dead animal that collapses like an empty puppet,and without a single twitch....what we call it,what precisely causes it, I don't really know...and don't really care.

Finally, an admission from a Kahuna that something other than blood or blood pressure loss is involved in that instantaneous "lights out" crash.

Some observe such a phenomena and want to know more about it and exploit it to their advantage. One such example is Roy Weatherby and the high-power calibers he developed.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
But then I have seen other animals,hit slightly wrong,at edges of lungs,or not quite squarely enough,or body shot(back of diaphragm),that carried on with terrible wounds....and have seen it enough that I tend to very much doubt "theories",and numerical quantifications of killing power,or magic in any bullet style,so that the only reliable thing I have personally witnessed that works,consistently and reliably, is good shot placement.

I agree that the only consistent and reliable kill comes from good shot placement, but within your paragraph you�ve witnessed slightly wrong shot placement, which demonstrates that good shot placement is itself not guaranteed.

I use a larger than needed caliber to take advantage of that other effect you don�t care about, knowing that it�s not 100% either. It works for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Whether or not you think someone who teaches Physics at West Point is a hack with a PhD, this paper goes a long way in solving the mystery behind the inconsistency of ballistic pressure waves being able to incapacitated game. It also confirms that good shot placement is the only reliable means of getting a kill, something I don't dispute. However, I do contend, and others have confirmed, that shots sometimes go bad. You�ll see from the paper that the higher the peak pressure the high the percentage of test subjects incapacitated, or killed outright, yet some individuals seem to be resistant to the effect.

I think that explains the seemingly contradictory experiences many hunters have.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A PHD is not a Dr. or biologist

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well said JWP. Except for spine shots, all the big game animals and numerous foxes and coyotes I have killed all died from blood loss. The brain gets no oxygen via blood and things die

These scientists could learn a thing or two from hunters who have witnessed death many, many times in the field..

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is beyond absurd to argue a large magnum will not be more likely to kill an animal with a poorly placed shot.

That is not to say it will do it because of greater energy, shock, permanent wound channel diameter, or other force. But rather because there will be so many more bad shots with mangle-ums!

A guide camp I worked in had a standard meeting at the airstrip between guides and clients. One thing all guides wanted to know was what the clients were shooting. Many, if not most, had so many bad experiences with poorly-shot 338s they became last choice... There is nothing wrong with the 338 obviously, unless it is too much for the shooter...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read through nearly all of this thread and see where a poster or two keeps insisting something along the lines of, "Yeah but you don't know how smart they are, they have multiple Phd's.." or something to that effect.

After getting my AAS in forestry from a technical college a couple decades ago, I was perplexed for several years when hearing some "expert guests" on talk shows (many times with a Phd.) that had reached unbelievably stupid conclusions.

I had an epiphany one day when I was told, "Some people are educated beyond their ability to synthesize the information."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This thread is still running? The test subjects for all this banter are so varied that no one formula neatly puts them in a box. However all of my "test subjects" have been wrapped in freezer paper awaiting their debut on the dinner table.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Whether or not you think someone who teaches Physics at West Point is a hack with a PhD, this paper goes a long way in solving the mystery behind the inconsistency of ballistic pressure waves being able to incapacitated game. It also confirms that good shot placement is the only reliable means of getting a kill, something I don't dispute. However, I do contend, and others have confirmed, that shots sometimes go bad. You�ll see from the paper that the higher the peak pressure the high the percentage of test subjects incapacitated, or killed outright, yet some individuals seem to be resistant to the effect.

I think that explains the seemingly contradictory experiences many hunters have.

You have great experience and knowledge surfing the internet, but apparently not much experience shooting game animals if you believe this crap. There is zero difference that I personally have seen in 40 some years thru 44 magnum (pistol bullet) 257 Roberts to 30-06 to 300WSM on killing deer unless the animal is shot in the head, neck, high shoulders/spine. Then the fragmenting or explosive bullet boys can eat their blood shot leaded meat all they want, but not me.

Finally the US Federal Imperial Government pays a lot of money to do research that comes to stupid conclusions as has been proven time and time again by history (the Courtney's seem to be related somehow hmmm). If they actually believed this esteemed research done at West Point, a high velocity (30-06) 30 caliber projectile would be favored over the current 22 caliber projectile, baffling stuff is it not?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jimmyp
You have great experience and knowledge surfing the internet, but apparently not much experience shooting game animals if you believe this crap.

I guess in 40 years you think you�ve done and seen it all. Then again, you only need to go back a page and you�ll see Kahuna BobinNH says �Undoubtedly something is going on here,as we have all seen it at one point or another....that instantaneous "lights out" crash where the recoil of the rifle is instantaeously followed by a thoroughly dead animal that collapses like an empty puppet,and without a single twitch....what we call it,what precisely causes it, I don't really know...and don't really care.� Apparently you�ve never seen this, or didn�t have the intellectual curiosity to wonder why some animals drop dead in their tracks.

The Ballistic Pressure Wave experiment explains why different hunters have different experiences with this effect.

What�s interesting is that you think your experience is so superior that no one else�s can be valid and that research showing something else must by a government conspiracy.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
If they actually believed this esteemed research done at West Point, a high velocity (30-06) 30 caliber projectile would be favored over the current 22 caliber projectile, baffling stuff is it not?

Guess you�ve never heard about the volume of fire doctrine, which is the underpinning of the military assault rifle. Or heard about the military doctrine of wounding an enemy being better than killing him because of the number of troops needed to care for the wounded. Or heard about the Geneva Convention�s ban on using expanding bullets, which are needed to exploit the Ballistic Pressure Wave effect.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or heard about the Geneva Convention�s ban on using expanding bullets, which are needed to exploit the Ballistic Pressure Wave effect.

You can always tell a real expert by they way they cite the Geneva Convention and how it bans expanding bullets.

John

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Or heard about the Geneva Convention�s ban on using expanding bullets, which are needed to exploit the Ballistic Pressure Wave effect.

Yea, we've heard of the Geneva Convention, but unlike you we know that the Geneva Convention didn't address small arms munitions... Do some more googling and maybe you will get the correct convention/accord

Of course you ignore any all evidence by doctors that cliam that the "pressure wave isn't enough to cause incapacitation

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Yea, we've heard of the Geneva Convention, but unlike you we know that the Geneva Convention didn't address small arms munitions... Do some more googling and maybe you will get the correct convention/accord

Thanks for the followup. Perhaps my post on the Geneva Convention was too vague. wink

John

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jpb

Thanks for the followup. Perhaps my post on the Geneva Convention was too vague. wink

John

I knew what you meant and you were spot on.... He just deserved another shot, that's all

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

OK, so I got the wrong convention, bid deal. You�re the guy who said �A PHD is not a Dr. or biologist�. Well the �D� in PhD stands for Doctor. Do some more googling, yourself. The principle of what I said is correct, which is the military is banned from using expanding bullets.

Of course you ignore any all evidence by doctors that cliam that the "pressure wave isn't enough to cause incapacitation

That was Fackler who based his argument on the idea that the lithotriptor produces pressure waves larger than those caused by most handgun bullets, yet cause no damage to soft tissues whatsoever. However, peer reviewed studies done in 2001 and 2003 show that lithotriptors do indeed produce soft tissue damage. (Lingeman JE, Kim SC, Keo RL, McAteer JA, Evan AP: Shockwave Lithotripsy: Anecdotes and Insights. Journal of Endourology 17(9):687-693; 2003. And Lokhandwalla M, Sturtevant B: Mechanical Haemolysis in Shock Wave Lithotripsy (SWL): I. Analysis of Cell Deformation due to SWL Flow-Fields. Physics in Medicine & Biology 46(2):413-437; 2001.)

Fackler was wrong even about handguns let alone rifles, deal with it.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 50 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,921
Posts18,518,805
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.