Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Originally Posted by jwp475

MacLorry, how about some photos of game that you have taken. Or do you just theorize about it?

Here's a group of my hunting buddies on one of our recent hunts. I'm the guy in the back grin

[Linked Image]

Sorry, but if I wanted my picture posted I would use it as my avatar rather than a cylon. If you just want pictures of dead animals I can post those, but what's the point?

Lee???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry, but the Swedish study doesn't qualify as controlled. It's a survey of the hunter's impressions, which means it's anecdotal. I'm not saying it doesn't have value, but studies of this type are overturned regularly in other disciplines, such as medical research.

Number of shots fired and distance traveled are not anecdotal. Even if people didn't measure the distances exactly with a tape measure, there is a better than decent probability that with the size of the study, any errors in measurement would average each other out (some would underestimate and some would overestimate). Also, there is no reason to believe that there would be any bias in distance errors tied to what cartridge a person was using. Bottom line is, just because the study/survey doesn't support your ideas about adequate elk hunting cartridges doesn't make it invalid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Number of shots fired and distance traveled are not anecdotal. Even if people didn't measure the distances exactly with a tape measure, there is a better than decent probability that with the size of the study, any errors in measurement would average each other out (some would underestimate and some would overestimate). Also, there is no reason to believe that there would be any bias in distance errors tied to what cartridge a person was using. Bottom line is, just because the study/survey doesn't support your ideas about adequate elk hunting cartridges doesn't make it invalid.

I disagree, a survey of hunters as to the range and effect on the animal are anecdotal, and it's far from a controlled study. To be a controlled study there has to be a control group or at least control over the conditions. Human nature being what it is, you could ask 8,000 sport fishermen how big their catch was and conclude fish are much larger than scientific sampling had shown. Every hunter starts out thinking their gun and load are sufficient and that carries over into their survey answers. People are skeptical of killing power formulas, but seem more than willing to believe the results of such studies.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have discussed this with engineers before, and they never seem to be able to grasp the fact that a bullet that expands and penetrates through the center of both lungs, just above the heart, kills very quickly no matter the bullet diameter, weight, foot-pounds or range.

John,

You're not prone to painting with a broad brush, but the statement above comes close. The difference between engineers who are convinced that big magnums are better and other people with the same idea is that the engineers are prone to try to support their beliefs with numbers and formulas. There are a lot of non-engineers who also don't grasp the fact in the above quote, and I suspect there are more than a few engineers who understand that bullet placement and expansion trump other factors (I can tell you at least one engineer understands that).

Seems to me that you missed Mac�s point. It�s obvious that a shot in the right place is lethal. In the military it�s known as the golden BB. Problem is that the odds of getting such a shot go down with range, game movement and obstacles. I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it�s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It�s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

More power is good as long as you can still hit the kill zone. In some real-world cases it mean the difference between an animal that goes down and stays down and one that runs off. Maybe you have to be an engineer to understand that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I disagree, a survey of hunters as to the range and effect on the animal are anecdotal, and it's far from a controlled study. To be a controlled study there has to be a control group or at least control over the conditions. Human nature being what it is, you could ask 8,000 sport fishermen how big their catch was and conclude fish are much larger than scientific sampling had shown. Every hunter starts out thinking their gun and load are sufficient and that carries over into their survey answers. People are skeptical of killing power formulas, but seem more than willing to believe the results of such studies.

There is nothing (nada, zero) subjective about how many shots were fired and how far the animal went after it was hit, and the large (vast?) majority of the animals taken in the Swedish survey were one-shot kills, further simplifying the issue. The question of how far the animal traveled after it was hit is objective, not subjective, with a one-shot kill.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gath_Sten
I have discussed this with engineers before, and they never seem to be able to grasp the fact that a bullet that expands and penetrates through the center of both lungs, just above the heart, kills very quickly no matter the bullet diameter, weight, foot-pounds or range.

John,

You're not prone to painting with a broad brush, but the statement above comes close. The difference between engineers who are convinced that big magnums are better and other people with the same idea is that the engineers are prone to try to support their beliefs with numbers and formulas. There are a lot of non-engineers who also don't grasp the fact in the above quote, and I suspect there are more than a few engineers who understand that bullet placement and expansion trump other factors (I can tell you at least one engineer understands that).

Seems to me that you missed Mac�s point. It�s obvious that a shot in the right place is lethal. In the military it�s known as the golden BB. Problem is that the odds of getting such a shot go down with range, game movement and obstacles. I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover. I know it�s a controversial topic, but massive injury anywhere in the body can cause the onset of shock that kills even with all the vital organs intact. It�s similar to how blunt trauma kills.

More power is good as long as you can still hit the kill zone. In some real-world cases it mean the difference between an animal that goes down and stays down and one that runs off. Maybe you have to be an engineer to understand that.

you mention a badly misplaced gut shot, and then turn around and claim that more gun is better as long as the vitals are hit...

it's not that one needs to be an engineer to understand such things... maybe to believe them???

you said that with a 30-06 the elk would have escaped wounded... more likely the shot would have been better placed...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

John,

No, I completely understood MacLorry's point, and it isn't supported by the evidence. There is no requirement for a big magnum or magic bullet (or golden BB) for North American ungulates. Massive quantities of empirical evidence has proven that a big magnum is not needed for elk, contrary to what the "Optimal Game Weight" formula might indicate. You might talk to people who have been on multiple dozens of elk harvests and get their opinion on super-magnums rather than rely on an example of one (an example of one meets the definition of anecdotal). Engineers should have an open mind and view the full body of evidence objectively, not try to selectively exclude data that doesn't support their biases.

If you saw the diplomas and license on my wall, you would know that I am quite capable of understanding things that "you have to be an engineer to understand." Even if I wasn't an engineer, there wouldn't be any reason to be arrogant (because I don't know any engineers who are perfect, and I know a lot of them)

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
A 10 year old girl with a 223 caliber handi rifle can thumb her nose with complete impunity at the OGW formula and all the anal retentive engineers or more likely want to be engineers that believe life and death can be reduced to a mathematical formula.

Where in the OGW formula do you plug in "bullet construction" the single most (in my opinion) significant advance in the firearms industry in 50 years.

Last edited by jimmyp; 08/02/11. Reason: add
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You say there�s no need for big magnum�s, but no one has cited any study were game was purposely shot in non-vital areas to measure the effect of different calibers. No doubt that would be unethical. So are you saying it makes no difference how large a caliber is used when a shot goes bad, that a 6.5x55, 30-06, or a .375 H&H will all have the same pitiful effect?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

SInce I have shot Deer with a 375 H&H magnum, I can asure you that they do not make up for poor shot placement

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

SInce I have shot Deer with a 375 H&H magnum, I can asure you that they do not make up for poor shot placement

I don�t think anyone is disputing the need for good shot placement, but in the real world, poor placement happens. Assuming poor placement, are you on the record of saying it makes no difference how large a caliber is used, that a 6.5x55, 30-06, or a .375 H&H will all have the same pitiful effect?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

There are too many variables in my experience to claim that a bigger caliber is going to save the day with poor shot placement.

A liver shot animal is going to die no matter the caliber of the bullet, but not instantly. All of the bodys blood runs through the liver, so bleeding out is a certaintly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is nothing (nada, zero) subjective about how many shots were fired and how far the animal went after it was hit, and the large (vast?) majority of the animals taken in the Swedish survey were one-shot kills, further simplifying the issue. The question of how far the animal traveled after it was hit is objective, not subjective, with a one-shot kill.

I'm working off Mule Deer's description of this study and there's no point arguing without more information. You seem to have more details. Can you provide a link to this study?

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I don�t think anyone is disputing the need for good shot placement, but in the real world, poor placement happens. Assuming poor placement, are you on the record of saying it makes no difference how large a caliber is used, that a 6.5x55, 30-06, or a .375 H&H will all have the same pitiful effect?

Too many variables dude a gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, a butt shot deer is a butt shot deer. Shoot your next deer square in the butt with your 30-06 and report back to us. Just don't call me to help you find it.

Last edited by jimmyp; 08/02/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
..............I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover......

If you think you can count on this sort of thing to repeat reliably over any cross section of shots,or any number of animals,I'm afraid you're mistaken...... frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

There are too many variables in my experience to claim that a bigger caliber is going to save the day with poor shot placement.

A liver shot animal is going to die no matter the caliber of the bullet, but not instantly. All of the bodys blood runs through the liver, so bleeding out is a certaintly

I see you turned the question around rather than making the claim that bigger calibers don�t have a greater chance of killing with a misplaced shot. There�s also a spectrum of misplaced shots including everything from being just a bit outside the kill zone to nipping the tail. I doubt anyone can backup the claim that larger caliber�s don�t increase the odds of a kill with a shot some distance outside the kill zone.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
..............I�ve personally seen a badly misplaced gut shot on an elk at 600 yards with a .370 Sako Mag that took the animal down, and while it didn�t dye immediately, it never got up. With a 30-06 there would have been a wounded animal heading for cover......

If you think you can count on this sort of thing to repeat reliably over any cross section of shots,or any number of animals,I'm afraid you're mistaken...... frown

It�s not a matter of counting on it, it�s a matter of having some extra capacity when things go bad.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I doubt that anyone can back (prove) up the calim that bigger calibers increase the odds of a kill outside the kill zone. I have animals die with shots outside the kill zone (no vitails hit) and they didn't move and I have seen then run with wounds large enough to for two fists with bigger cartridges, which is the opposit of your position

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Too many variables dude a gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, a butt shot deer is a butt shot deer. Shoot your next deer square in the butt with your 30-06 and report back to us. Just don't call me to help you find it.

No one I know would purposely make a bad shot, but it does happen and I�ve seen how a larger caliber puts the animal down even though no vitals were hit. Use too small a caliber and it will be you who�s tracking a wounded deer when the inevitable bad shot happens.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I doubt that anyone can back (prove) up the calim that bigger calibers increase the odds of a kill outside the kill zone. I have animals die with shots outside the kill zone (no vitails hit) and they didn't move and I have seen then run with wounds large enough to for two fists with bigger cartridges, which is the opposit of your position

Guess it�s just a matter of opinion then. Some here believe extra power is a good idea and bring it along. I don�t see where that�s wrong.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,937
Posts18,519,017
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.