Home
Looking to pickup a lighter weight stock for my Remington 700 ADL Long Action. I think McMillan, Manners and AG Composites May be the best out there but are there any others that compete with them for less money? My primary wants are high enough comb to get a good cheek weld with the 40mm scooe in low rings and fairly lightweight. Would prefer to have pillars preinstalled.
You might want to take a look at this stock. https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1058
I'm a huge fan of Manners, great guys to deal with an they offer a great veterans discount. My smith absolutely loves working with their stocks and they're in KC, which for me makes it easier to try things out.

Unfortunately, the pillars aren't preinstalled and the stock must be bedded. They do have several models for a lightweight build depending on your barrel profile and how wide of a forearm you're looking for. I've got an EH3 on order now, which is a 24-27 ounce "mountain" style stock with a higher comb. It's going on a 700 LA in 300WM with a 3-18x50mm. For what you're describing I'd look at their UC:

[Linked Image from mannersstocks.com]

https://mannersstocks.com/stocks/hunting-stocks/#

which is a traditional designed stock with a weight of around 22 ounces. I've also used a couple of their EH8s and have been 100% satisfied.
GB Outlander and RHR will have it to you,in 3 days. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've lotsa' them in S/A. The only hitch in your giddyup,being they only inlet BDL or M5. Shoots softer than schit,due nice design...on the above 7mm RemMag with 180 ELD's at 2900fps+. Hint...............
B&C Ti is 29oz. I'm too cheap for anything else and it is drop-in
The Outlander is a drop-in and I've bought more than a few from RHR for $249.99. I prefer their ergo's to B&C and the Outlander is lighter. Hint............
The Manners Ultralight Classic is a thing of sheer beauty. On a short action, it weighs about 17 oz. (13" LOP). The lines on the Brown Precision are also classic and very appealing. Lastly, you might take a look at Mark Bansner's stocks. Bansner commissioned new molds, with new processes and materials. They also have a stock patterned after the Miller classic. My .02 worth.
not familar with GB and who is RHR.

PS no ADL listed
I'm guessing Red Hawk Rifles.
https://redhawkrifles.com/
Fhuqking LAUGHING! HINT.

You Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint..................
Originally Posted by Tarquin
The Manners Ultralight Classic is a thing of sheer beauty. On a short action, it weighs about 17 oz. (13" LOP). The lines on the Brown Precision are also classic and very appealing. Lastly, you might take a look at Mark Bansner's stocks. Bansner commissioned new molds, with new processes and materials. They also have a stock patterned after the Miller classic. My .02 worth.

Honestly I'd like to build another rifle using a Rem M7 stock, just to have an excuse to try a Manners UC. I checked one out at their shop and it is a really nice design.

I've got a B&C Alaskan Ti (same concept as their Mountain Ti without the full length aluminum block) and it works well and does save some weight from their normal stocks.
Take a look at AG composites. I cant remember the weight, but a good well made to order stock with 6-8 week delivery.
Tom is good people,but they routinely fhuqk up inlets. The UC pattern's comb runs away and the wrist is long/slow. Easy pass. Hint.

RHR can have an AG Altitude to you in 3 days,but as Sporter patterns go,I want an Outlander. Hint.

AG Waypoint,day before last. hint.

AG Altitude. Hint.

Yet another Outlander. Hint.

Just sayin'.................
Think GB upped the weight of the Outlander sometime early last year—says 32 oz. on their website and 30 oz. on RHR. The LA BDL that I got from RHR during their Thanksgiving sale weighs 36 oz. and doesn't say UL on the box.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...8/grayboe-outlander-changes#Post17042148

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Just opened a NIB specimen,laying in wait. Hint.

Just sayin'.

L/A's being of less mass yet,due inlet sizing. Hint................
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Just sayin'.

Hell, that’s as light as the McMillan edges they were turning out at the end before Beck. Where are you finding the ultralights? Thought they stopped making them. I’d grab a couple …
unfortunately the best value now is probably a used mcmillan....
Stocky's Stocks NextGen CF might be worth a look. Personally haven't fondled one, but a few here on 24Hr have.
Originally Posted by dale06
Take a look at AG composites. I cant remember the weight, but a good well made to order stock with 6-8 week delivery.

Before I put my money out for the AG, I'd confirm the delivery time. Last I heard it had passed the 14 week mark.
If you want a high comb, look at the B&C Weatherby style #2963, 2.2 lbs. I like the tighter radius of the pistol grip on this stock when compared to the Mountain Ti. I have them on Howa 1500 actions and would have more if they made this stock for the short action 700.
I’ve recently come upon the Christensen FFT stocks for REM 700s. Very interesting to be sure!

Not the least, nor the most expensive.

But light! Anyone used one?

https://christensenarms.com/product/fft-sporter-stock/
Tom is good people,but they routinely fhuqk up inlets. The UC pattern's comb runs away and the wrist is long/slow. Easy pass. Hint.

RHR can have an AG Altitude to you in 3 days,but as Sporter patterns go,I want an Outlander. Hint.

AG Waypoint,day before last. hint.

AG Altitude. Hint.

Yet another Outlander. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

John Vest designed the Manners Ultralight Classic. He knows what he's doing and it's a beauty. Personally, I love the lines and ergonomics. The Manners and the Brown Pounder are probably the two lightest options there are.
Originally Posted by philgood80
I’ve recently come upon the Christensen FFT stocks for REM 700s. Very interesting to be sure!

Looks very good, especially at 18 oz.
TurdQueen,

Your sheer and utter CLUELESSNESS,is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
First Gen 700Ti bedded in a Manners UC by Tom himself.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I like the Manners UC for a light weight hunter but prefer the UC Plus for its greater forend diameter and the ability to take a larger barrel
Bless your hearts. Hint.

The UC is Dog Schit in comparison. Hint.

TurdQueen,

Your sheer and utter CLUELESSNESS,is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You have no idea how retarded you sound, do you? Fhuqking LAUGHING! Hint!! Dumbass!
Originally Posted by kingston

Nice combination. What is the weight?

I wouldn't have thought it was that heavy. It handles like a fine bird gun. I love the wrist. This is the perfect Allegheny Mountain rifle.

That’s funny. I was going to suggest a 700 TI takeoff stock, if the OP could find one.
TurdQueen,

I reckon you MUST "convince" yourself of something...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I wouldn't have thought it was that heavy. It handles like a fine bird gun. I love the wrist. This is the perfect Allegheny Mountain rifle.

Without the scope, less than 5 lbs or very close to that? Impressively light.
Tarquin, I think you are arguing with a bot. There is no way a person can say the same things and take the same pictures over and over 1,000 times.
TurdQueen has has gotta steal pics and Wiskchuntsen can't begin to fathom the fhuqking magnitude...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Originally Posted by mikestaten
Would prefer to have pillars preinstalled.

Pre-installed pillars are one of those things that make you feel warm and fuzzy....but the realities of them are much different. I've replaced loose/tipped ones in every brand of stock including all of them named so far. And more. They all get replaced here.

The aluminum bedding blocks are another poor choice. But slightly better than 'molded in' pillars.

It's too bad that more of the current stock makers don't offer the ADL option to their lineup.

Good shootin' -Al
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
It's too bad that more of the current stock makers don't offer the ADL option to their lineup.

Good shootin' -Al

Agreed! Preferably with a rounded bottom where the floor plate would be as in the Rem 700 KS stocks.
Originally Posted by MikeS
Agreed! Preferably with a rounded bottom where the floor plate would be as in the Rem 700 KS stocks.

I've used the B&C 2951 series 'Ti' stocks before with good results. They have a short front 'block' for the action screw and a molded in 1/2" dia. rear pillar. I replace the rear with a .625 pillar which helps quite a bit. They have a front pressure pad which comes out. The fore ends get reinforced a bit to stiffen things up.

Not my idea of the perfect stock but with a bit of work, they make up pretty nicely and are available without a half year wait. There's one on the way for a 284W project.

Good shootin' -Al
Originally Posted by philgood80

Even have most Left Hand options IN STOCK... smile
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/URL]

Just sayin'.

Hell, that’s as light as the McMillan edges they were turning out at the end before Beck. Where are you finding the ultralights? Thought they stopped making them. I’d grab a couple …

If I knew they'd arrive at that weight I would be all over them. My experience hasn't matched up with that...but I wish it had!

It's not a "classic" look, but I'm loving a GB Trekker I started using last year. Hi comb, vertical grip, generic barrel channel, and light. I need to throw a little bedding on the lug, but so far it's been stacking rounds through 2 different barrels/cartridges naked of bedding. Not sure if they'll make one ADL though.....

If you don't mind picking up bdl stuff and don't mind a couple of minutes on a dremel, the following would be worth looking at:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-hunter-remington-700-stock#Post17960949
I prefer ADL,but it is,what it is. I'm pretty fast to jump AICS DBM,before slumming BDL. Hint.

The 'Horn was musing a Trekker and I should give him a shout,to see if he jumped. Knowing him,he likely has several. Hint.(grin)

I don't MPI,Brown or Bansner...because I have. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
I don't MPI,Brown or Bansner...because I have. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Amen. Like Michael Spink famously said: "Aboulooby!"

The worst mess I've ever had was with the now thankfully defunct Lone Wolf Stocks and its owner. Pain...lots of pain. -Al
TurdQueen has has gotta steal pics and Wiskchuntsen can't begin to fathom the fhuqking magnitude...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You have kids? sick Damn tragedy for them and the world.
Originally Posted by ihookem
Tarquin, I think you are arguing with a bot. There is no way a person can say the same things and take the same pictures over and over 1,000 times.

Either a Bot or a retard! grin

TurdQueen,

You keep stealing pics and "living" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

I feel sorry for you kids...and your wife.
TurdQueen,

Keep extolling your Hurt Feeler Reports and "lauding" your Professional Victim "status",beings it's all that you can "do"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes,are a "rugged" lot. Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Little Dick's New Year's Resolutions:

(1) Add three new words to current vocabulary of "Kchunt", "Fhuqking", "hint" and "Laughing".
(2) Finish the Dick and Jane Beginning Reader series.
(3) Increase the family/household budget from 90% firearms-related purchases to 95%.
(4) Get the kids back from Child Protective Services and try to convince momma to leave the domestic violence shelter.

Good luck with those Little Dick! Fhuqking LAUGHING! Hint!
TurdQueen,

Keep extolling your Hurt Feeler Reports and "lauding" your Professional Victim "status",beings it's all that you can "do"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes,are a "rugged" lot. Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

TurdQueen,

Little Dick's New Year's Resolutions:

(1) Add three new words to current vocabulary of "Kchunt", "Fhuqking", "hint" and "Laughing".
(2) Finish the Dick and Jane Beginning Reader series.
(3) Increase the family/household budget from 90% firearms-related purchases to 95%.
(4) Get the kids back from Child Protective Services and try to convince momma to leave the domestic violence shelter. grin

Good luck with those Little Dick! Fhuqking LAUGHING! Hint!
TurdQueen,

If only for context,cite how many times a day you think about me,the duration(s) of same and what I'm wearing. HINT.

No doubt, you looked much like your kid when you were his age. I shudder to think that beautiful child is going to end up a POS loser like his old man.
TurdQueen,

If only for context,cite how many times a day you think about me,the duration(s) of same and what I'm wearing...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Here you go,practice "convincing" yourself,that you "could too". HINT.

Little Dick, how come you don't post photos of your wife? Those bruises can be covered with makeup. The missing teeth might be a problem though! laugh
TurdQueen,

If only for context,cite how many times a day you think about me,the duration(s) of same and what I'm wearing,as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I still haven't found anything that was a better value than McMillan Edge. Weight should be 22-23 oz. They come with pillars installed and you can bolt it to the rifle and go shooting. No extra gunsmithing required although some prefer to bed the action. I've bedded them and left them alone and couldn't tell any difference.

Factory stocks run 28-32 ounces and most everything else isn't any lighter, many are heavier. It's just spending money for a lateral move. McMillan isn't cheap, but you get something that is an improvement over factory. Honestly, many of the newer factory synthetics work just fine and will save a lot of money.

The B&C Ti weighs around 24-25 oz but is a WEAK stock that is easily broken. The Medalist is a tough stock, but most weigh the same or more than factory.

Some of the others appear cheaper, or lighter at 1st. But some list their weight with no recoil pad. After installing a pad the weight isn't any less than factory. And others are cheaper but require final fitting and finishing to use. If you do the work yourself, they may be a good value. If you're paying someone to do that final work, they are no longer a value.
When they where available the Proof stocks where a pretty good deal for a really nicely made hunting stock. You could get them on sale for a bit under $700 if you looked around. The only downside is they where only inlet for a carbon wrapped barrel, but they sure fit nice and both of mine are right at 19 ozs for a short action BDL inlet stock.
Yeah, I can tell from the shack you live in, you're really rolling in it! laugh After the fortune you spend monthly on guns, optics and ammo, how much of an allowance do you let your wife have? grin

https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/timber-faller/united-states/alaska/juneau
TurdQueen,

I barely made $250K this year. 'Course,there's lotsa bonuses,profit sharing and incentives,that are separate. Hint.

This went off the rails quickly. Thanks for the responses so far. The Grayboe looks good but not really looking at changing from my ADL to the BDL configuration as it adds a bit of weight and will cost me another ~$150 to get BDL bottom metal.

Are there cheaper places to get McMillans than going to McMillan directly?

Anyone use Darrel Holland’s composite stocks? I have his laminated stock and the dimensions are great.
B&C, rebarreled 243 to 6.5 Cre. replacing the weavers with talley didn't save any weight.

Anyone use Darrel Holland’s composite stocks? I have his laminated stock and the dimensions are great.

I've used a couple in the past for other people's projects. They were McMillan mfgd and available in ADL and BDL configs. They were high quality as you'd expect. The style of the Monte Carlo wasn't my jam but it works for others. The owners of both I did liked them and still use them today. Whether the current owners of McMillan are supplying them now or not....best to call Holland directly for the current scoop.

If you hunt with even light gloves on, the PTG oversize heavy duty ADL trigger guard is a nice upgrade.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/rem...igger-guard-black-anodized-aluminum.html

Hope this helps. -Al

Just sayin'.

Grayboe did quit making them. I've got one of the UL's waiting for a project rifle.
I e-mailed them the other day because I didn't see them on their website any more. I asked them if they were still being made and this was their reply:

"Unfortunately it is not. That material we were using to make them lighter had some faults in it during the production process so we are no longer using it."
TurdQueen,

I barely made $250K this year. 'Course,there's lotsa bonuses,profit sharing and incentives,that are separate. Hint.

Yeah. Surre. That's why you live in that shack! laugh You're so full of schit your eyes are green.
TurdQueen,

At least you "get" to gawk The Splendid Pixels,which thoroughly fuel your vicarious "living"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only for context,cite how many times a day you think about me,the duration(s) of same and what I'm wearing. HINT.

Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

I've used a couple in the past for other people's projects. They were McMillan mfgd and available in ADL and BDL configs. They were high quality as you'd expect. The style of the Monte Carlo wasn't my jam but it works for others. The owners of both I did liked them and still use them today. Whether the current owners of McMillan are supplying them now or not....best to call Holland directly for the current scoop.

If you hunt with even light gloves on, the PTG oversize heavy duty ADL trigger guard is a nice upgrade.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/rem...igger-guard-black-anodized-aluminum.html

Hope this helps. -Al

I have Darrel Holland composite stock that he did for me several years ago and it is indeed a McMillan. I made the mistake of getting the BDL with Monte Carlo............hate the Monte Carlo should have got the ADL without
This went off the rails quickly.

Happens every time Lil'Dick gets involved with a thread
Wares that actually exist,do tend to get The Kchunts to crying. Hint.

Fuels their Homoerotic Fantasies too,as they perpetually think about me. Hint.

Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have Darrel Holland composite stock that he did for me several years ago and it is indeed a McMillan. I made the mistake of getting the BDL with Monte Carlo............hate the Monte Carlo should have got the ADL without

When I ordered the two, there wasn't an option on the Monte Carlo...they all had it. I don't see that as an option on their site....be great if it was. -Al

https://www.hollandguns.com/32m7/parts-accessories/custom-stocks.html
Wares that actually exist,do tend to get The Kchunts to crying. Hint.

Fuels their Homoerotic Fantasies too,as they perpetually think about me. Hint.

Projecting again, are we? laugh I always knew you were a fraud, but now you're a phag too? Who knew! laugh
TurdQueen,

It is fascinatingly HILARIOUS,that you can't begin to fathom the magnitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes,are a "rugged" lot. Fortunately for you,Imagination,Emoji's and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Just sayin'.

Grayboe did quit making them. I've got one of the UL's waiting for a project rifle.
I e-mailed them the other day because I didn't see them on their website any more. I asked them if they were still being made and this was their reply:

"Unfortunately it is not. That material we were using to make them lighter had some faults in it during the production process so we are no longer using it."

Well, ain't this peachy. They tell you the material had faults. When back in September they told me they had problems getting the LW material. I guess a poor supply is a "fault", but now I'm wondering if I should watch Greyboe out the corner of my eye from now on. A used car salesman in their customer service dept.?
You Melting Snowflakes are fhuqking HILARIOUS,with your Dreamed up Drama and outright Kchuntitude. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
kind of odd seeing a lever action gun in your picture....doesnt that go against the bullets matter way more than head stamps philosophy
When have you seen or heard me tout a Levergun for anything close to serious,save a magfed BLR with 162's at 2550fps,wearing a 6x MQ?!? Hint.

You Crying CLUELESS Fhuqking Kchunts are a HOOT and I enjoyed your High Pitched Nasal Whine! Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Originally Posted by richj
B&C Ti is 29oz. I'm too cheap for anything else and it is drop-in

I like those original TI take-offs for bbl contours close to the original MR. Fit me well but the supply is getting thin.

I bought a GB Outlander a couple yrs ago. I like it as well as a couple Browns I bought used.
I have a question for this knowledgeable group of stock aficionados….there are a million options for 700 and clones but I’d like to put a synthetic stock on a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06….iirc it is a 1953 vintage and it’s a standard rifle, not featherweight. I’d like to lighten it up a little and it’ll probably get sent to JES to become a another Whelen but first things first. I’m not throwing good money after bad into this rifle right now so I’d like to find something reasonable.

Thanks guys and I’ve enjoyed the options and pictures you’ve all posted here. 👍🏼
Stick….That’s a killer pic of big Sis and the big bad woof…. 👍🏼👍🏼

Did Little Red Riding Hood take that woof on POW or a neighboring island?….either way that’s bad ass.
Maybe check out Bansers offerings Aces. They seem to be pretty nice nowadays and reasonable in price.
TurdQueen,

At least you "get" to gawk The Splendid Pixels,which thoroughly fuel your vicarious "living"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What is the white lens? I had been running Nikon (I was a Nikon slut when we used real film so stayed with the brand after the digital switch) too many people I know are using Canons and the pics are outstanding and the cameras seem more user friendly so about to make the switch. Since the post derailed I thought I would push it further off the tracks. Suggestion on which model to go with as an all around model camera plus the big ass lens of course!
Beretz….Thanks for the tip…I’ll check them out. 👍🏼
Pacecars….the white lens is indicative of the Canon “L” series of lenses which are their very best lenses. I don’t know the power range of the one in the picture but I do recall Stick posting some absolutely incredible wildlife pictures that he’d shot using telephoto L lenses from Canon. I know that Canon has some L lenses that cost as much as a new car.

Those pics he took of various wildlife north of the arctic circle were mind blowing….
Stick,
How come there website (Greyboe) says the outlander weighs 32 ounces? Wonder if they changed the materials or construction? Never mind just saw the post where they in fact did go to heavier materials..
© 24hourcampfire