Home
Posted By: gnoahhh Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/20/20
August 21,22,23- the good lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.

A reminder to change those penciled-in dates to permanent ink instead. Pack those takedowns into your valises, board the train, and get thyself to the Pennsylvania Gathering of the Faithful, in Beautiful Downtown Noxen.

Y'all know what I'm talking about, but for those who don't it's code for a gay old time (not in the LGBTQ sense) of camaraderie in the highlands of NE PA- a time of Fellowship under the Savage banner. Three days of gunnery, Savagery, eatery, BS-ery, and drinkery (if inclined). Reference the pre-Covid threads on the subject, or post your questions/thoughts here.

Be there or be square.

Joe and Gary, really looking forward to Noxen.
Thanks for posting Gary. I have the list of people who responded that they were coming to this years Savage Rendezvous. If you would, please reply here again though. Thanks. Joe
So if you have LGBT, isn't the Q unnecessary?
Don't ask me. I'm a deplorable.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/20/20
How about adding BLT's? Even EG's will be welcome I suspect
You bet, Jeff. Especially if you bring them!

Come to think of it I'll probably drive up in an MGBGT.
First thing I do every morning is put another tick on the calendar. I need a major dose of BS-ery. I'm countin' on you, Gary. Don't let me down.

Only thing I'm looking forward to more is hunting season.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/20/20
Didn't Savage make a 99BLT, 99MGBGT and that other thing? I'm sure I've seen a few 99BSs, 99WTFs and 99SOLs in the past. And by the way, EGs rule!
Originally Posted by S99VG
Didn't Savage make a 99BLT, 99MGBGT and that other thing? I'm sure I've seen a few 99BSs, 99WTFs and 99SOLs in the past. And by the way, EGs rule!

Lol
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
First thing I do every morning is put another tick on the calendar. I need a major dose of BS-ery. I'm countin' on you, Gary. Don't let me down.

Only thing I'm looking forward to more is hunting season.

Tim, I've been cooped up for two months and am ready for a good dose of BS-ery.

It's only a plane ticket away, Jeff!
just saying eg's my least favorite of 99's except my ambidextrous one LOGGAH posted pics of and 250 3000 Grand father owned drilled and taped
Originally Posted by JeffG
How about adding BLT's? Even EG's will be welcome I suspect

Hey, I’ll pick you up at BWI, the guys will buy you dinner at the Columbia Ale House, then you can sack out in our guest room. You might have to share the bed with Roy if he can make it again.
But, then again, aren’t you both resident tinker bells?
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
You might have to share the bed with Roy if he can make it again.

Really sweetening the pot there Joe! Gunna be hard to pass that offer up! LOL
Ya buddy. Bunking with an Axe Murderer = laying awake all night, afraid to close eyes.

If you come out, Roy, will you be bringing only one cartridge like you did last year? I wish we had photographic evidence of that sh*tshot you executed.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ya buddy. Bunking with an Axe Murderer = laying awake all night, afraid to close eyes.

If you come out, Roy, will you be bringing only one cartridge like you did last year? I wish we had photographic evidence of that sh*tshot you executed.

And like Pavlov's dog, Roy posts the photo that was seen around the world-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Fuggin thing shoots a 32nd of an inch low. Pisses me the hell off.
It only takes one shot. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Some say lucky shot. I say "WTH, that's what I was aiming at!".

If I pointed it over there at that tree and the bullet went over here at this target, that would be a lucky shot.
Hard act to follow. This year's encore?

I'll be making the same shot.

From Oregon.
Maybe a "One Shot, Winner Take All" competition? Everybody puts in a buck.
Maybe a "One Shot, Winner Take All" competition? Everybody puts in a buck.

Oh I like that. best shot wins. Put up or shut up!

Or winner gets waited on for the entire evening. Drinks, best cut of meat off the grill, baked potato with al the trimmings, fresh salad with them little cherry tamotas, the works.
And a T-shirt that pronounces him "The Best Shot in Noxen, Pa!"
Posted By: JeffG Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You might have to share the bed with Roy if he can make it again.

Really sweetening the pot there Joe! Gunna be hard to pass that offer up! LOL

...You guys stumbled right back into the deplorable trough, lucky for you it wasn't too far to fall wink

But the rest of the BS-ery is sounding pretty inviting! Sign me up for the mail-in best single shot target competition!
Sorry JeffG, Gary was referring to JeffB. But, with close friends it's all good. There's room in my truck, and it's a Queen size bed, all three will fit.
Your truck is a queen-size bed? Threesomes in an F-150? You guys go on ahead, I'll meet you up there.
Seriously though. This Rendezvous is geared toward the Savage gun, involves perusing/fondling (calm down, Joe)/shooting/discussing of same, all under very informal circumstances. Scholarly debates there are as common as non-PC joke telling.

A Fest it isn't and was never meant to be. Better? No. As good as? Yes, in its own way. Friendship and male bonding over a common interest at its best.

Non-Savage guns find their way there too. I usually take as many other guns as I do Savages- it's all good. And where else would you go and fondle a superb rather rare Savage and then put a magazine full of cartridges through it an hour later, be it a 99, 1903, or 23?
Roy's bullet hole kinda looks like the bullet was tumbling when it hit the target.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Roy's bullet hole kinda looks like the bullet was tumbling when it hit the target.

I whipped the gun at the last moment to increase the contact surface on target. wink shocked laugh crazy
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/21/20

How about back to target gun over shoulder looking in a mirror?

Or too easy Roy?
Posted By: SS336 Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/21/20
I’m hoping there will be pictures posted of this shindig, you know, for the rest of us voyeurs. grin just keep it family friendly. blush laugh

Although that hole does bear a strong resemblance to the contour of the cap to a BIC pen, including the little pocket hanger tab, as an eye witness to the feat, I can attest that one was not used.
I've asked a number of times how many rounds went through that hole but it seems to be a deep, dark secret. Was it more than 1??
It was only one. It was tumbling
Posted By: texken Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/21/20

you left out pos
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I've asked a number of times how many rounds went through that hole but it seems to be a deep, dark secret. Was it more than 1??

Only 1 round. I was there also. In fact, I was the spotter on, " the shot heard round the campground." It took a couple of rounds to walk that one in there, but not many. Damn fine shot, that Roy Manbeck.
Too bad we all witnessed it. Perfect opportunity to conjure up a Campfire 5 Shot One Hole Group.
I would drag brother LOGGAH out but hard to get him out of town .And i'm not sleeping with him in the back of my pickup !!! and would love to get in on a shoot off . 5 shot group might be better
Camp can sleep 25 Im hoping to find out this weekend, about making it, if my old Bud Jerrys up for the trip!
Originally Posted by saddlering
Camp can sleep 25 Im hoping to find out this weekend, about making it, if my old Bud Jerrys up for the trip!

Hope you guys can make it!!
For anyone wanting to see some beautiful Savages (the rifles, not the participants) I'd encourage you to go. If I could make it I'd be tent camping out there on that beautiful green grass under the trees. Gorgeous setting. It was fun sharing rifles and everyone that wanted to shoot had plenty of rifles to choose from. Really enjoyed meeting all of you guys.
As a matter of record, a buddy and I just put 40 rounds through that same 303 rifle smacking rocks at 150 yards. Deadly as heck.
Originally Posted by topnotch99
I would drag brother LOGGAH out but hard to get him out of town .And i'm not sleeping with him in the back of my pickup !!! and would love to get in on a shoot off . 5 shot group might be better

[b]

Sounds like a bit of fun sport. But, it should be decided, 1895/1899/99 only, 1 cold shot closest to X, or tightest 3 shot or 5 shot group. Also, 50 yds or 100 yds? In the spirit of these fine vintage rifles, I think optics should be excluded. Irons, receivers or tangs only. Just my personal thought...

At the risk of sounding like a sandbagger or a ringer, ( certainly neither of which, am I ), maybe the pot could be sweetened a bit to make it more interesting. Say 10 or 20 bucks a man, winner take all?
I like those thoughts.
Posted By: Blitz Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/22/20
I haven't been to a fest since Jed's in 2007. Temped to show just to meet all those that weren't at the first. Maybe even bring my swiss cheese rat of an HP 22 and some hand loads...
It's a work weekend for me, so can't make it.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/22/20

[b]

Sounds like a bit of fun sport. But, it should be decided, 1895/1899/99 only, 1 cold shot closest to X, or tightest 3 shot or 5 shot group. Also, 50 yds or 100 yds? In the spirit of these fine vintage rifles, I think optics should be excluded. Irons, receivers or tangs only. Just my personal thought...

At the risk of sounding like a sandbagger or a ringer, ( certainly neither of which, am I ), maybe the pot could be sweetened a bit to make it more interesting. Say 10 or 20 bucks a man, winner take all?

So that begs the question of is it a contest of the best rifle or the best marksman?

All shooters should use the same rifle and the same ammo.

Just sayin....
you guys need to work on LOGGAH he sure wont listen to me. Only thing in my way would be fishing trip at one of my camps in Canada if the border opens
Posted By: ctw Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/22/20
Probably be the biggest gun show since March

99guy, the same question could be asked of any shooting competition, correct? I'm not sure I understand your point. Is there something in my suggested, (and that's all they are, suggested), parameters that raised an eyebrow?
August 21,22,23- the good lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.

A reminder to change those penciled-in dates to permanent ink instead. Pack those takedowns into your valises, board the train, and get thyself to the Pennsylvania Gathering of the Faithful, in Beautiful Downtown Noxen.

Y'all know what I'm talking about, but for those who don't it's code for a gay old time (not in the LGBTQ sense) of camaraderie in the highlands of NE PA- a time of Fellowship under the Savage banner. Three days of gunnery, Savagery, eatery, BS-ery, and drinkery (if inclined). Reference the pre-Covid threads on the subject, or post your questions/thoughts here.

Be there or be square.

Where are the festivities happening in Noxen?

Born and raised there and family settled there centuries ago working as loggers when downtown was actually beautiful and prosperous, Armor Tannery, businesses on main street including food markets, Medical clinic, opera house, movie theater, etc...that all faded away over the years.
When I go back now to see family it's seems to be barely hanging on.
It's actually halfway up the mountain on the outskirts of town. Triple deuce will be along sooner or later and can provide a more accurate location. I have to get new directions from him every year as it is.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/23/20

99guy, the same question could be asked of any shooting competition, correct? I'm not sure I understand your point. Is there something in my suggested, (and that's all they are, suggested), parameters that raised an eyebrow?

Just merely pointing out that a good gun can make a bad marksman look good and a bad gun can make a good marksman look bad.

I might be able to shoot your gun better than you and you might be able to shoot my gun better than me.

So what does everybody shooting their own gun really prove?

Does it prove they are a good shot or that they have a good gun?

Nothing more, nothing less. wink

grin
Originally Posted by 99guy

Just merely pointing out that a good gun can make a bad marksman look good and a bad gun can make a good marksman look bad.

I might be able to shoot your gun better than you and you might be able to shoot my gun better than me.

So what does everybody shooting their own gun really prove?

Does it prove they are a good shot or that they have a good gun?

Nothing more, nothing less. wink

grin

Spoken like a guy that can't get it done! Whoa!

It proves that this vvvvv will never be bested. smile Not this year, not any year. Book it! grin grin

You guys need to put your heads together and cook up some elaborate ruse to unseat the reigning champ.
Nah, we'll just throw as much lead as you did and sooner or later we'll get one there too. laugh
Old Willys, the cabin is called the Elrancho. Im sure you heard of it or been to one of the clambakes they have every year.

Joe
It won't prove anything, but it will be a good time, we'll have a few laughs and in the end, somebody (who was lucky that day) will walk away with the pot.
Any problem coming up for the day?
It'll be a great time!
Originally Posted by squidman
Any problem coming up for the day?

No problem! Come on up!! There's always a few guys who are daytrippers.
As for a competition:

How about we make it "Savage only", that way everybody's handicapped equally! laugh Any caliber, any rifle, iron sights only, three shots offhand at 50 yards, high score (total points of three shots) wins the pot. 30 second time limit- you gotta rap 'em out. (Otherwise we'll be at it all day and there's always a bunch of guys waiting to shoot their toys.) Entry fee to be determined by popular vote- but lets keep it friendly and not make it excessive. If you want, I can round up the targets- say the 100 yard NRA target? (It's a big black target easy for old farts to see at 50 yards.)

I can assure you I'll probably finish dead last. My offhand stance is cruddy- those of you who know me know my condition. I don't care because I'll have as much fun doing it as anybody else, and who knows maybe I'll slop three into the 10 ring. After all, even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again! My Model .250-3000 that's capable of near MOA accuracy off the bench with its tang sight won't matter doodly-squat because that front sight wobbles with the best of them when I shoot it offhand. Now if I could just figure out how to mount a Lyman globe front sight on it....
In the event of a tie, a one shot shoot-off at a clay pigeon at 100 yards? Loser has to wash the dishes.
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
Old Willys, the cabin is called the Elrancho. Im sure you heard of it or been to one of the clambakes they have every year.

Joe

Thanks triple deuce that explains it!

Never stopped in but drove by El Rancho 100's of times! Good to hear not everything is shutdown because of Covid-19, my younger brother called and told me the rattlesnake hunt roundup was cancelled this year that sucks the firemen make their money for the year that weekend.
It won't prove anything, but it will be a good time, we'll have a few laughs and in the end, somebody (who was lucky that day) will walk away with the pot.

Good enough for me. grin
Posted By: CRF75 Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/23/20
Can someone please tell those of us that don't know the story about the " Shot heard around the world"? Yardage, caliber and make of rifle? Any interesting facts that might help us enjoy the story?
Roy flew in from Oregon, sent one rifle ahead. He was behind the butt stock, Tim was spotting, one shot. The picture tells the rest! That’s my version, and sticking with it.
Thanks. Yardage, open sights?
It's a 303, 99E model, shooting some unknown brand of semi round nose slug I had a few hundred of laying around. The rife has a receiver mounted peep sight. I had never fired the rifle so Tim was spotting for me as I was walking it in. Fire a shot, move the sights, fire a shot, move the sights. The last sight adjustment I moved to a clean target, and made the Shot Seen Around the World. If I remember it was 94 or 97 yards.

Say, did I ever show you guys a photo of that target?

Precisely how I remember it.

Precisely how I remember it.

I think Tim's spotting was a bargain at just $49.95, although after The Shot his price jumped to $79.95. I should ask for a cut....
Thanks for this important part of Savage 99 history.
I could have sworn that was a 5 shot group?
Originally Posted by CRF75
Can someone please tell those of us that don't know the story about the " Shot heard around the world"? Yardage, caliber and make of rifle? Any interesting facts that might help us enjoy the story?

I'll give you the short version.

Lightning can strike anytime, anywhere.... cool
I plugged an empty .22 ammo box at 50 yards once with one shot from a Colt Woodsman. Guy offered me $10 if I could pull it off. Trouble was I had shot up all my ammo- but rummaging around in the depths of my range box I found one lone moldy scuzzy .22 short. "Haha! Here goes nothing", I said as I thumbed that short into the chamber. A little Kentucky Elevation, and bap- the target fell over, with a .22 bullet hole smack dead center. That was the sweetest $10 I ever earned in my life. Never to be repeated or even attempted ever again.

There's an idea. Maybe I'll shoot the Challenge at the rendezvous with my Woodsman. It could be a Savage. Arthur would have built it if he thought of it, I bet. Maybe. Sorta.
Man, that story's becoming as familiar as Roy's one holer. I got to the end of it in my head before I was finished reading it. laugh
Man, that story's becoming as familiar as Roy's one holer. I got to the end of it in my head before I was finished reading it. laugh

Tim, did I ever show you the photo of that target I shot in Noxen last year?

Originally Posted by CRF75

I'll give you the short version.

Lightning can strike anytime, anywhere.... cool

Hey, don't be that guy.

*Gary, sorry I couldn't take your call this afternoon, I was busy twistin pipes together. Now I'm busy drinkin.
I could have sworn that was a 5 shot group?

i like your version better.

Man, you guys that are on the fence just do it. It'll be a great time and the weather was absolutely perfect last year. Beautiful spot too.
I have one of those impossible shots, too. Took place back in the late 60s while checking beaver traps with my junior high best friend. We were both on Bear Paw snow shoes. I carried a Remington Nylon 66 Apache Black with a cheap plastic scope. A raven appeared flying above the tree line across the beaver pond. He had to be up 50 yds and out 150-200 ... you know the rest of the story.
Flying raven stories? Heck ya, they used to come in when I called coyotes. I used a custom .Anschutz 17 Ackley Hornet back then. They'd come in low and slow....That was a wonderful varmint rifle.

Best raven shot I ever seen was a buddy and I were bowhunting elk. We came up on some ravens squawking in a meadow, we figured they were scavenging a gut pile. I can call a raven using my mouth so I let loose and called one over to us. My buddy pulled up and shot when the raven went overhead. 10 seconds later his arrow falls about 20' away and thunks into the ground. We went over there and a raven wing feather was stuck on the arrow.

Good times.
I will have to think about going this year for the first time. Any accommodations available in the area? Any general info for first timers?

Tim, he said that was the sweetest ten bucks he ever made, the rest of the story, that was the last ten bucks he ever made. So, it’s very vivid in his mind.
Haha, you funny man.
Originally Posted by E Blair
I will have to think about going this year for the first time. Any accommodations available in the area? Any general info for first timers?

Two choices: bunk with us in the camp, or camp outside in tent or camper. Folks do both. No motels close by I know of, triple deuce can expand on that.
Looks like Im open for the weekend of aug. 21st, depends on the C19 and if Jerrys going! i have to be at U of M on the 17th tho, for my Leg Check up! Guy I work for big Party is the next weekend! this year! so hoping to Make it to see the Boys!

There are motels 12 mi. away in Tunkhannock.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

There are motels 12 mi. away in Tunkhannock.

So what is that: about an hour and half by car?

grin
Depends on the car. I could get you there in about 7 minutes. grin

About 20 minutes Randy.
Depends on the car. I could get you there in about 7 minutes. grin

That car would be called a helicopter.

About 20 minutes Randy.

Actually, Sounds about right.

My 1 1/2 hour guesstimate was tongue and cheek for those of you that don't know me.

grin
Shoot, it could be DAYS if you made a wrong turn and got lost. Nothing out there but mountains and trees!
As the old saying goes, "god willing and the creek don't rise". I should be there Friday afternoon with Saddlering in tow.Call dibs on my sleeping quarters from previous Savage extravaganzas. Can't wait to have that young wippersnapper out shoot most of us old timers again. Brice is a natural dead-eye.

I am trying to loose 10 lbs. by then so I can put it back on that weekend. Food, folks and firearms are all top notch. I heard (privileged information) that Sailor Jerry, Gentleman Jack an 12 year old Canadian Club could possibly be in attendance.
Getting a little closer. If you plan on attending please say so on this post. So far we have 15 people staying for the weekend and 6 or 7 visiting. Thanks.

Joe

I'll be there Friday morning to help set up. If you PM me your cell #, I'll call you Thursday night, to see if you need me to pick up anything on the way in.
Originally Posted by Blitz
I haven't been to a fest since Jed's in 2007. Temped to show just to meet all those that weren't at the first. Maybe even bring my swiss cheese rat of an HP 22 and some hand loads...

You are more than welcome to come!! Bring whatever you would like. There is plenty of room for displays.

Joe
Originally Posted by E Blair

The closest town would be Tunkhannock. There are a few hotels in that area or there is still room in the cabin. You can bring whatever you would like to display or shoot.

Joe

It would be great to meet you guys!! You are more than welcome to come.

Joe
I was really contemplating going but it's pretty far away from everything ( airports ). I was hoping it was closer to WV and I could use it as an excuse to visit relatives around Moundsville and in Wetzel county.

Originally Posted by damnesia
I was really contemplating going but it's pretty far away from everything ( airports ). I was hoping it was closer to WV and I could use it as an excuse to visit relatives around Moundsville and in Wetzel county.

Noxen is 29 miles from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport (albeit not a super large airport).
Then I'd have to rent a car so it would put me out like around $1000+. Well and if there is bourbon around, I'd be kicked off the forum smile
Maybe you and Keith Nystrom can work something out. He is flying in to WB Scranton airport from MN also. Just a thought.
The closest hotel would be the Hampton Inn in Tunkhannock. It is roughly a half hour away from the cabin. There is still room in the cabin for those looking to stay. The cabin is not your typical cabin. It has all the essentials of home except for the bunk beds. But they arent that bad. Fully functional bathrooms with showers and cable tv. Its a beautiful place, the guys can vouch for that.
The cabin is nice, the company excellent. I didn't stay overnight the last time I attended but I live an hour away and enjoy the company of my wife at night rather then a bunch of old guys. whistle
Originally Posted by steve99
The cabin is nice, the company excellent. I didn't stay overnight the last time I attended but I live an hour away and enjoy the company of my wife at night rather then a bunch of old guys. whistle

That's funny. Most of us would rather have the company of a bunch of old guys than our wives! LOL (Just for a weekend of course) And if you tell my wife I said that I'll deny it.
Most of the old guys are asleep by 11PM and miss the really deep meaningful conversations.
Then I'd have to rent a car so it would put me out like around $1000+. Well and if there is bourbon around, I'd be kicked off the forum smile

There are two airports close to Gary and me. BWI and Hagerstown.. My BIL gets a round trip from Hagerstown to Myrtle beach for $99.If you could get a flight into either one of those, we can pick you up, put you up for a night, and ride up with us. Same on return.

There are two airports close to Gary and me. BWI and Hagerstown.. My BIL gets a round trip from Hagerstown to Myrtle beach for $99.If you could get a flight into either one of those, we can pick you up, put you up for a night, and ride up with us. Same on return.

Joe, how do you know he's not an axe murderer?
Posted By: Jaaack Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 06/11/20
If he has a Model 99 why would he use an axe?
Axes are much more personal

Joe, how do you know he's not an axe murderer?

Ssshhhhh! If you keep talking like that he may look in my axe case. Damn it I mean my "gun" case....
Carolyn ain't feared of no axe murderer. She has her own axe.
I knew that collection hanging on the wall in the basement wasn't for looks.

Lucky I made it out alive.
Roy just seems to have stories form around him. My wife says one of these days I'm going to invite some stranger home and he's going to be an axe murderer. I often learn people's first names and don't bother with the last. The friend that made that custom, octagonal handle on the Plumb double's name is Clarence. He happened to drop it off on Valentines day, so that was Carolyn's gift. She said, "does this axe murderer have a name?" I said, "Yes, Clarence". She said, "Hi, Clarence." Then she looked at me and said, "Does Clarence the axe murderer have a last lame?" I realized I didn't know his last name and blurted out, Clarence Multifacted." That's his screen name. Sooo, when Roy came over she said, "Does this axe murderer have a name?" I said, "Yes, this is Roy, he doesn't use axes he has guns." I think she just cracked up laughing after that. But, that's the short and long of it. I did pick up another double today. It's an early Keen Kutter in mint condition.
can we critique the edge on that ax?
Roy just seems to have stories form around him.

It's weird huh?
Posted By: SS336 Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 06/12/20
You guys crack me up! Sounds like it will be a great time. Wish I could be there and put faces with the names. There ought to be enough people on the west coast to have a get together. I nominate Fireball to ramrod it. laugh
shenanigans
Originally Posted by SS336
You guys crack me up! Sounds like it will be a great time. Wish I could be there and put faces with the names. There ought to be enough people on the west coast to have a get together. I nominate Fireball to ramrod it. laugh

Not enough people.
Besides, we're all busy homesteading and carving a living out of the wilderness.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 06/12/20

Probably filed, stoned and then finished with a leather strap if I know Joe.

It would probably shave the hair off your dry arse .

wink

Probably filed, stoned and then finished with a leather strap if I know Joe.

It would probably shave the hair off your dry arse .
wink

Sounds like another Noxen tradition is born.

You're on your own there, Joe. I'm heading up through PA a couple days early and arriving home a couple days later. Giving the MG an overdue workout and myself an overdue vacation, far from the madding crowd. Planning some fly fishing along with Rendezvousing.
I'd come if you threw in shooting lessons and a guided bear hunt.
Gary, I'll be at my camp/clubhouse in the Catskills the week prior, if you'd like to stop by and stay a few days. We're right at the confluence of the Beaverkill and East Branch Delaware rivers, with the Willowemoc a stone's throw away. After we catch the evening hatch, and dinner in Roscoe, we can tear up the MG a bit, smoke some wacky tabacky and blast schit like Deep Purple, Space Truckin' and other '70s crap. When it's time to head to the rendezvous, Noxon is only an hour and 40 mins away. I'm gonna do all that schit anyway, with the exception of riding around in an MG, so you're more than welcome.
Hmmmmm.......

Yes you may, just take into consideration that is a custom grind for throwing. All of my other axes can be used for shaving at the end of the day.
"Axe and ye shall receive."

"The axe man cometh."

"No one axed you for your opinion."

"Why you axing me all these questions, homes?"

"Just like a lumberman. Brings an axe to a gun fight."

Lizzie Bordens of the world- Unite!

Personally I'm glad I don't own an axe. This way I won't have to actually chop something.
Black Axes Matter.....
"Look at the axe on that girl!"
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 06/12/20
Gary:

You are on fire!!!

Tell me another one!

laugh

You're on your own there, Joe. I'm heading up through PA a couple days early and arriving home a couple days later. Giving the MG an overdue workout and myself an overdue vacation, far from the madding crowd. Planning some fly fishing along with Rendezvousing.

Thank goodness, I was hoping Joe would find something big enough to fill in that big pot hole?

"The axe man cometh."

Personally I'm glad I don't own an axe. This way I won't have to actually chop something.

Oh, did I forget to mention, I'm bringing a block of wood also. There will be two shiny Orange clay pidgeons to the right and left of my American Beauty Double. The first person to break both birds with one shot gets to keep the two Grants under the clay. Recommendation, bring a 38-55, might give you an edge over an HP. Unless Roy shows up. Then we will let him shoot first and find his own ride home.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 06/13/20

"The axe man cometh."

Oh, did I forget to mention, I'm bringing a block of wood also. There will be two shiny Orange clay pidgeons to the right and left of my American Beauty Double. The first person to break both birds with one shot gets to keep the two Grants under the clay. Recommendation, bring a 38-55, might give you an edge over an HP. Unless Roy shows up. Then we will let him shoot first and find his own ride home.

I wish I was going to be there.

I'd shoot a hole right straight through that ax handle and then laugh my ass off.

Edit: I'm laughing just thinking about it.... laugh

Yes you may, just take into consideration that is a custom grind for throwing. All of my other axes can be used for shaving at the end of the day.

That must be what it is. The edge looks a little funny/different than I use on my wood cutting axes.

"The axe man cometh."

I'd shoot a hole right straight through that ax handle and then laugh my ass off.

Not as difficult a feat as you might imagine. Consider that the target you're actually shooting at is twice the diameter of the bullet. Ie: if a .308 bullet is used you can be off as much as almost .300" on either side of the blade edge- it only takes the tiniest of slivers to break the balloon on the opposite side of the blade from the main chunk of the bullet. That adds up to a target .6" wide. Not terribly difficult with an accurate rifle.

I would still rather laugh along with Randy after he shattered Joe's axe handle with a .300 Savage.😂😂
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 06/13/20

"The axe man cometh."

Not as difficult a feat as you might imagine. Consider that the target you're actually shooting at is twice the diameter of the bullet. Ie: if a .308 bullet is used you can be off as much as almost .300" on either side of the blade edge- it only takes the tiniest of slivers to break the balloon on the opposite side of the blade from the main chunk of the bullet. That adds up to a target .6" wide. Not terribly difficult with an accurate rifle.

I would still rather laugh along with Randy after he shattered Joe's axe handle with a .300 Savage.😂😂

Of course I would replace Joe's handle and buy him a beer, but the moment and the look on Joe's face would be worth every penny.
speaking of axe's I have a mint marble's double bit #14 original sheath only made 1905 1906 many other marble safety axe's knives including canoe stag handles folder's fish knife's belt knives trailmakers to many to mention also many marbles sights . love to get to the museum some day doesn't look good for this year . still planning on fish camp in Quebec

"The axe man cometh."

Weeelll, on second thought, maybe I'll bring the new Kelly double I got at Ace hardware with a coupon. I'd hate to drive the steel wedge out the other end of the handle. But, then again, it would be a cool peace pipe?
Well fellows as much as I hate to say it, Ill not be making the trip with Jerry to penn. this Aug. My Girl Friend and I are getting married, and have put in a Offer on a house on the small lake that I live by! so if all gos well Ill be Very busy about the time of the Get togather! Wish a Great time for those that make the drive! an hope to see Pics!
You will be missed, John!
Originally Posted by saddlering
Well fellows as much as I hate to say it, Ill not be making the trip with Jerry to penn. this Aug. My Girl Friend and I are getting married, and have put in a Offer on a house on the small lake that I live by! so if all gos well Ill be Very busy about the time of the Get togather! Wish a Great time for those that make the drive! an hope to see Pics!

Best of luck John. Congratulations.
Congratulations John! Best wishes and good luck with the bride and the house.
Congratulations John. Best wishes
John, I trust you have heard the story about free milk and the cow? LOL

Just kidding buddy. I'm really glad for you! A good wife is a very good thing.
Thanks guys! she wanted me to still make the trip, but we hope to be moving into the, new to us Place about then! so very busy not to mention the dam Virus, making everything harder to try and get done!
Posted By: JeffG Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 06/30/20
Very Exciting News John, Congratulations!! Make sure everyone at Noxen raises a toast to Your good fortune!
I see John has all you folks hoodwinked perty good. The real reason he backed out is he said "I'll be dammmmed if I'm a gonna go there and let that young wippersnapper out shoot me in a bad way again!!" (Brace) That and he also said if I hafta spend 8 hours each way in the Cheby wiff Jerry again I'll shoot myself!

Congratulations on finding your dream lake front home with a woman who is obviously visually challenged. laugh we will miss you, espically since we aint that good of a shot. We will sell you some pictures at bulk rate price.

The annual Noxen Rattlesnake Roundup has been officially cancelled.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 07/01/20

The annual Noxen Rattlesnake Roundup has been officially cancelled.

Don't want to pass the Covid onto the poor rattlesnakes.... crazy
Good. That means all the more rattlers for us. Wait'll y'all see Joe Martin do his Indian snake dance in a pink tutu.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 07/01/20
Good. That means all the more rattlers for us. Wait'll y'all see Joe Martin do his Indian snake dance in a pink tutu.

Wow, that would be something to see!
John, is that your roundabout way of inviting all of us to the wedding?

My other buddy, John, asked to bring him a Ratler back. His python ate one of his wife’s cats and choked. I figured it would be cool to put it in a fish tank on the kitchen counter. That way when Jay had breakfast ready, he could tap on the glass and make it rattle. Gary’s scream would wake every body up.
I may be able to attend. If I can come I'll have a photography trailer with me and can photograph rifles for the next book. I have some health problems so it's not definite yet that I'll be able to come. I should know next week. Does the cabin have electricity?
Electricity?? Bwahahaha. That area of Pennsylvania never heard of Edison and Tesla!

(Kidding, of course. There's more electricity at the camp than a man can use in a lifetime.)
Good, I'll need it for lights and air conditioning.
I may be able to attend. If I can come I'll have a photography trailer with me and can photograph rifles for the next book. I have some health problems so it's not definite yet that I'll be able to come. I should know next week. Does the cabin have electricity?

We would love to have you David!! The cabin has everything you need. If you have any questions let me or Gary know.

Joe
Hope you can make it David.
A few things are still not worked out but it's looking better.
A few things are still not worked out but it's looking better.

Great!!
August is finally here and im starting to plan the food order. I have the names of the people that are definitely coming but a few still showed interest.
Squidman
Blitz
Topnotch 99
Loggah
E Blair
Old Willys’s
If any of you plan on attending please let me know soon. If anyone else would like to come you are more than welcome. Thanks.

Joe
If Topnotch & Logger are coming better add more Food to the list! there some BIG Fellows! Dam wish I could make it!
Posted By: Blitz Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/01/20
Unfortunately I can't make it. I am know unemployed, my own choice. Had to walk away from a toxic work environment and owner. What is the address of this place in case that changes? I looked through the thread and all I got was Noxen PA.

Sure sounds like it is going to be a blast!
Blitz, i will pm you the address later. Im heading out to a family wedding right now.

Joe
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/01/20
Blitz, unemployed...you get free room and board! Sounds like a time to go early and stay longer.
Originally Posted by Rick99
Blitz, unemployed...you get free room and board! Sounds like a time to go early and stay longer.

AND they feed you like royalty. Sure way to gain a few lbs in a weekend.
I can't commit to it yet. Not all my health problems are worked out. Hopefully I'll know later this week.
I can't commit to it yet. Not all my health problems are worked out. Hopefully I'll know later this week.

Thats fine David. Still hoping you can make it.

Joe
Joe

Just watched a video on U Tube this morning titled the Top Ten Redneck towns in PA. Noxen came in tenth. I like it. Looking forward to visiting with everyone.
I just had to look.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/03/20
I'm not going to be able to make it for the whole weekend. I was really hoping to but it's not going to happen this year. Sigh. There's still an outside chance of a day trip on Saturday but don't plan on me when figuring food etc.

Dale

I hope you can make it too. I canrelate to health issues- this summer was not kind to me.
I'm not going make it.Doctor appt.just came up been waiting 3 months for. was going to have lots of goodies to sell . next year I hope
Dropping like flies. You guys are missing out!
Dropping like flies. You guys are missing out!

Still have 17 coming. Most are staying for the whole weekend. It will be a great time.
Posted By: Blitz Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/04/20
Still waiting on an address in case I can shake a day free.
Originally Posted by Blitz
Still waiting on an address in case I can shake a day free.

I didnt forget about you.
Trucks all loaded and ready to head out at 5:30 tomorrow morning. Two weeks flyfishing at my club/camp on the storied waters of the Catskills and some time with my daughter, then on to Rendezvous. See you guys on the 21st
I can't wait.

The .300 EG/F Frankenrifle I'm putting together for Brace is nearing completion- stock is being varnished as we speak. (1948 EG with custom F wood) Looking sweet. Pics of the finished product soon. Claro walnut makes for a pretty Savage stock!
I can't wait.

The .300 EG/F Frankenrifle I'm putting together for Brace is nearing completion- stock is being varnished as we speak. (1948 EG with custom F wood) Looking sweet. Pics of the finished product soon. Claro walnut makes for a pretty Savage stock!

Damn good of you to build that rifle for that boy Gary. He's a good kid I wish I was there to see you guys give it to him.
I can't wait.

Claro walnut makes for a pretty Savage stock!

It makes for a pretty stock on anything! Can't wait to see the fruit of your labor!
Sounds like your going all out on this Project! I cant think of a better young fellow to get this rifle! ill bet he will be killing deer with it long after we are gone!
John, its not too late. Its only a teeny weeny weekend. Your new bride will surly understand Savage Excursion won't be the same without Saddlering. I'll even get some travel goodies that are copacetic with your dietary constraints. I already talked Joe Martin into giving you a foot massage. (Joe doesn't know that yet) Hope things are working out well for you and your new better half.
Joe even said he'll drive out and get you. But he doesn't know it yet. Do I smell a Bromance cookin'?
[Linked Image]
Here is the address for the Rendezvous. This will get you to the Noxen store and then follow my map to the cabin. Its only 3 miles to the cabin and 3 turns. We havent lost anyone yet. Lol. Any questions pm me.

Joe
Would love to go, but my House is sold, and just got a storage building yesterday, so Im very busy, Wifes son is suposed to be taking her place but is trouble selling his , Might be home less soon! he says hes coming next week anyway! the lady that has the Lake house, said we might be able to rent till the loan gos thru! The dam C19 has everthing messed up as far as Loans ect. .

[Linked Image]
Here is the address for the Rendezvous. This will get you to the Noxen store and then follow my map to the cabin. Its only 3 miles to the cabin and 3 turns. We havent lost anyone yet. Lol. Any questions pm me.

Joe

Joe, your cartography skills are very impressive.

[Linked Image]

Joe

Joe, your cartography skills are very impressive.

Lmao. But it gets everyone there. Lol
I heard that Keith is going to parachute in. I trust that Joe's map will give the airline pilot enough info to drop him right down on us.
Joe,

Do you know a property owner in Noxen name of Duane Morgan? He is a friend of my brother Eric. We all played some golf last weekend and he mentioned Noxen as his hunting camp. Owns a few acres there he says. His dad's family hunted there for years, originally from the Scranton W-B area. Small world type of thing.
Joe,

Do you know a property owner in Noxen name of Duane Morgan? He is a friend of my brother Eric. We all played some golf last weekend and he mentioned Noxen as his hunting camp. Owns a few acres there he says. His dad's family hunted there for years, originally from the Scranton W-B area. Small world type of thing.

Name doesnt ring a bell.
I won't be able to come. Too much going on.
I heard that Keith is going to parachute in. I trust that Joe's map will give the airline pilot enough info to drop him right down on us.

I do have jump wings, but the army kept my chute .... and when I called American Eagle, they told me they won't give me a discount for early departure. If all goes well, wheels down at 1630 Friday, plus a pit stop at a Class 6 store, ETA there 1800.

P.S. - Joe, to be an official, accredited cartographer, you need to add a declination diagram to your map.

Zofia is gearing up, she can’t wait to see every one.
Great! She's the official mascot! (Note: we won't let her near any spaghetti.)
Just looked at the weather forecast for Noxen next weekend. Not terrible, but could be better.

Now have less than a week to decide which safe dwellers will make the cut to head east. A decision I will labor over till the cheby gets put in drive oily Friday morn.
Don't put it in drive, put it in overdrive!
I'll be in pilot mode.......doin 48 MPH with my left blinker on the whole flippin way. Pisses everybody else off, but keeps me awake!
Originally Posted by oldotter
I'll be in pilot mode.......doin 48 MPH with my left blinker on the whole flippin way. Pisses everybody else off, but keeps me awake!

Whatever it takes Jerry. Lol
Ah. The real reason Saddlering won't be in your co-pilot's seat.
99F 303.
Bags are packed, guns bagged up, MG got fresh spark plugs and an oil change, ammo crammed into the range bag (I hope a thousand rounds is enough), departing tomorrow for a leisurely jaunt via the back roads of PA with a delightful pit stop overnight. Sure as sh*t I'm forgetting something. Oh. Beer. Can't forget that!

I look forward to this every year like most people look forward to Christmas.
Safe travels Gary. I will be there 8 am Friday morning.
God Speed and safe travels to all of you making the trip. I was seriously considering making the trip to Michigan last spring until it was cancelled. Previously didn't think I could go as my son in law was scheduled for overseas deployment that weekend, but it was postponed for two weeks, but then the get-to-gather was cancelled. To many irons in the fire right now, lower house has been torn up since last week of June redoing walls, woodwork, flooring crew coming in on the 27th to lay new floors. Between that and garden/lawn work, grandkids ballgames, and a few other things that came up, I haven't shot enough this summer to earn a Boy Scout Badge for it. Have a good time all, look forward to seeing pictures.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/19/20
Gary, you should take your cannon and lots of BP to feed it. Make lots of smoke!
I should roll in between 8-9 am Friday.

Godspeed to all heading to Noxen.
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Gary, you should take your cannon and lots of BP to feed it. Make lots of smoke!

No room in the MGBGT. It'll be packed to the gills as it is. Not even enough room for spare skivvies. Hope the guys don't mind....
Gary and I should be there about 11AM tomorrow. Can't wait. Bringing some 22's to shoot including a 1903 22 short and some others, a 45 Colt Ruger revolver. Still thinking about some others. Gary said he'd bring at least 1 AH Fox.

And some Black & Tans too.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/20/20
So close.... but alas, not in the cards for me. I hope everybody has a great, safe time.

Roger
I plan on leaving between 6-7 AM. I'll be there when you see me.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/20/20
ya'll fellers take a lot of pics. and post them for the unlucky ones that cain't make it . have a good time
Truck is packed to the roof!! Safe travels tomorrow guys and bring lots of guns!!
Wish I was there! You guys take lots of photo.
Joe,

If you happen to find a Canon point & shoot camera in a black case on one of the outside dining tables or somewhere else, keep ahold of it for me please. Thanks,

My brother and i had a great time again. A fine time meeting new Savage nuts and being with the old ones too. Thanks for hosting!
Is this an annual event? Invite only? I’m in central PA and would love to come next year.

Basking in the warm afterglow of yet another fantastic late summer weekend in Noxen. Weather, food and comradery were second to none.
[quote=steve99]Joe,

If you happen to find a Canon point & shoot camera in a black case on one of the outside dining tables or somewhere else, keep ahold of it for me please. Thanks,

My brother and i had a great time again. A fine time meeting new Savage nuts and being with the old ones too. Thanks for hosting![/quote
Thanks Steve. Im glad you and Gary had a good time. I have your camera and i will get it to you. Hope to see you guys next year again!!
Joe,

Thanks great, thanks! Ted had an idea for its return. If you could get that to Jay, Jay is doing some work for Ted next week and Ted said he'd meet me at the Saylorsburg Flea. If that works for you and Jay, it works for me. Otherwise, I could come and get it, don't mind a drive.

Next year for sure Joe.
Joe,

Thanks great, thanks! Ted had an idea for its return. If you could get that to Jay, Jay is doing some work for Ted next week and Ted said he'd meet me at the Saylorsburg Flea. If that works for you and Jay, it works for me. Otherwise, I could come and get it, don't mind a drive.

Next year for sure Joe.

Ok. I will give it to Jay.
Arrived home at 7AM. Hope everyone else made it to their destinations safe.

Had a blast again this year, as expected. A huge thank you to Joe, Jay and Gary for all they do to make this such a huge success. It was nice seeing the faces I met last year again, along with some new ones. Sorry for the guys who couldn't make it, but there's always next year...God willin' and the river don't rise.

Can't wait till the pics are posted.
Originally Posted by ROMAC
So close.... but alas, not in the cards for me. I hope everybody has a great, safe time.

Roger

Sure missed you Roger. I had my center console stuffed with crispy C notes hoping you had that 22 with ya. Is that a Walther model 2? Joe.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/24/20
Hey Joe,

Yeah I still have it. I think it is a Model 2 presentation grade off of the top of my head,

I was fondling it just the other day. I was giving everything in the safes a wipe down and spent a little extra time admiring it.

I read one time that something like 20 of them were supposedly made by Walther as gifts for bigwigs between the wars but who knows. Information is scarce and sketchy at best.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Like the Maltese Falcon, 'tis the stuff dreams are made of.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Noxen, Pennsylvania beckons - 08/24/20
I was asked about the action.

It is essentially a semi-auto with a bolt action feature.

If you fire it with the bolt up the recoil cycles the action, if the bolt is closed(down) it operates like a bolt gun with a magazine clip feed.

Roger
WOW!
Talk about the stuff of dreams, Gary brought his Ballard Pope single shot 22. What a sweet shooting rifle with a very nice trigger. Thank you for letting me put a few down range Gary.
That 5/8" group you fired with it at 100 yards was pretty nice, Steve! Never underestimate us old guys armed with old rifles, eh?!
Looks like a good time was had. Liked the pictures.
That 5/8" group you fired with it at 100 yards was pretty nice, Steve! Never underestimate us old guys armed with old rifles, eh?!

That’s one of my greatest joys shooting with the 30ish young guys. Let them shoot their best group, then put a group inside theirs with a 100 plus year old rifle.
© 24hourcampfire