Home
Lost my Dad in June. Have been saying for a few weeks I was gonna take his trusty 760 06 out the first day of Pa gun season and shoot the first legal deer I saw the retire it till my boys are old enough. Took his rifle out last Sunday to check zero, my eyes got dang dusty just shooting it.... But for some reason, I have little desire to go out hunting now. Who knows what the next few days will bring, my mind has been all over the place.
Yup, it seems silly to go through the motions.
But eventually, things should get back to normal.
May take a yr or two, or three.
Am past 1 yr here and still in a bit of a funk.
And my dad never deer hunted, but he got me into hunting/shooting.
Lots of good things happen outdoors. Maybe even some healing. Grab the musket and go. Relive some memories and make some new ones. Sorry to hear about your dad.
Your Ol man wants you to hunt!! Get your azz out there and get to killin!!šŸ‘ŠšŸ»

Smile like a cat eatin shiit the whole time remembering past hunts!
You have to go out or else he has no one to push the buck to.
Lucky you to have had a father that makes you feel that way. Such a man would want you to go and do what you enjoy. My motto has become, ā€œIf not now, when?ā€, because you never know whatā€™s in store. We all die, and stuff happens. You may never have another opportunity yourself, so at least go out and sit a bit and think it over out there. Doesnā€™t have to be a major effort, just a few hours of quiet time in the woods.
When you go he will be hunting with you. In spirit and in your hands. Itā€™s healthy to morn. Like old Fred and Ted said it cleanses the soul!!!
Originally Posted by WMR
Lots of good things happen outdoors. Maybe even some healing. Grab the musket and go. Relive some memories and make some new ones. Sorry to hear about your dad.

This
I'm sorry for your loss.

Like others have said, get out in the woods. If it's not the right time to take Dad's rifle then you'll know it, but get out there.
The 1st firearm season without my dad, I hunted his blind, shot a huge doe! At 1st light. Just sat and reflected, on past hunts with dad and grandad, him gone 12 years before dad.all the old guys I grew up hunting with were now gone! Hell I was the old guy now. Found one of dad's 260 shells in the blind, kept it! Last time I got to hunt the place. Didn't hunt the rest of the season, didn't have it in me. But buy next fall I hunted new place with some younger friends. Still have my best friend, he's 76 now, only got the bow hunt one evening and spent the night at his camp. He couldn't make the rifle opener, but wanted me to still hunt there, took a nice 8pt. But wasn't the same without my buddy there. Not sure what I'll do when he's gone. Happy Hunting
My hunting buddy was my son. I cried my eyes out in the stand 5 months later after his death. It was absolutely gut wrenching but I made myself do it as hunting was my what I loved to do. It gets easier but it's never the same. For my own healing, I found it in myself to help someone get into hunting that had never hunted. This is my cousin and we have had some good times together. He's helped me a lot and I hope I've introduced something to him that he has a passion for. I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. He's there with you...
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Lost my Dad in June. Have been saying for a few weeks I was gonna take his trusty 760 06 out the first day of Pa gun season and shoot the first legal deer I saw the retire it till my boys are old enough. Took his rifle out last Sunday to check zero, my eyes got dang dusty just shooting it.... But for some reason, I have little desire to go out hunting now. Who knows what the next few days will bring, my mind has been all over the place.

Go easy on yourself amigo. Oftentimes hunting is like exercise - getting up early to do it isn't always the easiest but there's rarely regret after the fact ā€“ even with a heavy heart.

Go share a hunt with pops again, you might find it therapeutic.
Sincerest condolences to you Chumleyhunts!

I agree with others here, get out there, even if only for a bit. My dad started me hunting/shooting/reloading over 50 years ago, he passed in 2020 after 2-1/2 years of hellish dementia. I have so many fond memories and funny stories of our hunts together, maybe even an argument or two... lol! Hunting brings a lot of those memories to life again!
I believe a good deer hunt would help celebrate your Dadā€™s life. He would certainly want you out there!!!!!
Sorry for your loss, takes time to get past a loss. You never get over one, but you can get past it in time.
Like hanco said, "takes time to get past a loss." It might be to soon this season. Only you will know what feels right. If not now, maybe next year will be the Season you get it done with Dad's gun. I lost my Father in 2005. It takes time. For some, longer than others. Sorry for your loss. And Good Luck to you.
Originally Posted by WMR

Canā€™t say much better than that.
Losing loved ones is rough. Been three years now since my Pa passed. He grew up farming in southeastern Colorado then became a teacher. I never hunted with him , but he loved my hunting stories and loved the venison I butchered. I hunt and fish in his honor, I sit in his favorite swing under the porch at the barn and drink a beer. I do my best to remain faithful to my Savior as he was. Honor him by doing the best you can! Hang tough!
My Dad died a week before last year's Pa. opener. I took his 99. I managed to sneak up on 3 bedded does while carrying it. I can't recall Dad ever shooting a doe so I left them go and snuck away. They never knew I was there. I definitely count that as a 'win'. I also grabbed a couple of pictures in the snow covered woods with his rifle leaning against a tree.

Just a couple of memories that I will have forever. Take your Dad's rifle and make some memories.

Dale
I agree with Judman. Iā€™m betting your Dad wants you to go out with his rifle and hunt. I lost my Dad 3 days before Christmas in 2011. That was tough, but life does go on. We had a modest Christmas, celebrated his life, and continued to live. The next year in hunting season was also tough, but the next to the last day of that season I shot the 3rd biggest buck Iā€™ve ever got, on a day I should have never been in the woods. Freezing rain, sleet, snow, and windy. Why was I even out there that day? Dad! He always said ā€œya canā€™t get em if ya ainā€™t out there lookin for emā€. Trust me, itā€™s cool to hunt with a little ā€œdust in your eyesā€. šŸ˜Ž

Doc_Holidude
Lost my father in 2013. He was my hunting buddy. Couldn't hunt again until 2015. It takes time but it will pass. My condolences to you, I know how hard it can be.
Originally Posted by devnull
My hunting buddy was my son. I cried my eyes out in the stand 5 months later after his death. It was absolutely gut wrenching but I made myself do it as hunting was my what I loved to do. It gets easier but it's never the same. For my own healing, I found it in myself to help someone get into hunting that had never hunted. This is my cousin and we have had some good times together. He's helped me a lot and I hope I've introduced something to him that he has a passion for. I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. He's there with you...
This hurts. My dad was not a hunter but he bought 2 rifles and a handgun for me before I could do it. My son will get all of my guns but we never seem to get the time to hunt together. I am retiring this year and hunting is something I want to get back into. I just hope he can find the time to join me.

kwg
Originally Posted by Judman
Your Ol man wants you to hunt!! Get your azz out there and get to killin!!šŸ‘ŠšŸ»

Smile like a cat eatin shiit the whole time remembering past hunts!

^ ^ THIS ^ ^
This is a normal phase of grieving. I tried hunting the year I lost my daughters. One morning I couldn't even get out of the sleeping bag. You'll need time to heal and you will get back to things you like.
I have my dad's old Rem 721 30-06. He gave it to me when he had to hang it up. Before he died I used it on a moose and a couple deer. After he died, I've taken 1 elk with it. I don't use it a lot because it's too dang heavy and also it has a hinky trigger and safety (thank you Remington). I've thought about putting a Timney on it but that won't help the weight.
Sorry to hear about your dad, I lost mine in February I know how you feel it's awkward.
I decided to go out this year and take his Ruger MKii .308.
Then passing the tradition on to my son and daughter when they get old enough.

Just going out brings back the memories, the best one was going spring turkey hunting for the first time and we wore our blaze orange hunting suits lol seen more dam turkeys that day.

Hope you can get out and enjoy the PA woods.
You will feel better if you try. All the ideas are well thought out and valid, guess you have to follow your heart, but I think it might be better to be outdoors for a while.
He will be with you whether you go or not. Id go.
I been lucky enough to draw tags in Montana.

They have a really long seasonā€¦

I put it off etc. etc. etc.

I always regret it.

Just do it.

Sorry 4 your loss.

Happy Thanksgiving
Sorry for your loss and understand your mixed emotions.

I say go hunting, carry the rifle and put zero expectations on the day. What unfolds, unfolds.

Most of the time anymore, hunting is therapy for me. Somedays, actually shooting something is the only thing that could ruin the day. cool
My Dad passed in early October, 2001. I left for a planned solo week of mule deer hunting in just a few weeks later. It was pretty hard to concentrate. I went through all the motions, but cried alot at times. I ended up cutting my trip short after four days. Its a different world after they are gone from it, that's for sure.
If you go, heā€™ll be there with you.
I lost my dad in July. I killed a deer with his Marlin 35 last Saturday. It was special for me. Dad wasnā€™t able to hunt for the past several years but always wanted a full report. When youā€™re ready take that rifle and kill a deer, youā€™ll be glad you did.
Iā€™ll give you a piece of advice my dad taught me to hunt like a madman heā€™s been gone since 2016 get your ass in the woods take his gun and look up to the sky and wink after you drop horn šŸ‘Another piece of advice donā€™t know if you believe in luck or not but I wear his shirt or his pants just for nostalgia and knowing heā€™s there with mešŸ˜‰
I lost my Dad in January. He would want me to be in the stand opening morning. Sorry for your loss buddy!

Ron
Make it a point to go . Sitting in the woods reflecting on past hunts and memories has a healing power most won't understand unless you do it. Hunting and fishing gets inside you and it is very difficult to explain to those that have never had experiences in the wild. Go for it he will be there with you whether you know it or not.
My Dad passed away on Dec 1, 1997. Last year I stopped on "Ernie's watch" to enjoy the memories. When I cleared the leaves to make a quiet spot to stand I found his whistle. Dads walk with their sons forever as they are the reason we learned to love hunting. Nothing but wonderful memories follow me through the bush.
My condolences regarding your father. I dread the day..

I took my dad this year and it was a not a good time. He barely hunted and had a hard time getting around in the woods. He had some heart problems and surgery since last year and he just has not recovered like weā€™d hoped. While we enjoyed a campfire and some good food(which is awesome) itā€™s hard to see your dad in decline. After that my time was erratic in the woods with kids events and whatnot. I got a call while in the stand to be a witness to my best friends DNR order and he died about 5 days later. Thatā€™s been tough. We grew up hunting and fishing amongst other stuff. When I was there, the weather was terrible (my son didnā€™t get a deer yet) and when I was gone it was cold and clearā€¦anyhow I had success early on a nice buckā€¦but yes my season has been a forced attendance lately. The brightest spot was my daughter killed her first deer thanksgiving evening with a 192 yard shot with a 120TTSX out of a 6.5creed! I was above the moon and so proud of her!

Pics https://imgur.com/a/nmaD8dA
You know, lots of older guys just go to the woods and leave the cartridges at home. Or so I'm told smile
Take it easy and sleep in. Some nice bucks get killed at 11 AM smile
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
You know, lots of older guys just go to the woods and leave the cartridges at home. Or so I'm told smile
Take it easy and sleep in. Some nice bucks get killed at 11 AM smile

Yes sir you are right. Iā€™ve killed quite a few between 11:00-1:00.
My dad died last December, and it's hell on ya when that's your best friend. He killed a 4 point last November, and I got in the same blind and killed a 4 point with his muzzleloader a couple weeks ago. If he knew I'm sure he would smile. Takes time to adjust, and outta the blue some tears will come along. Keep trucking neighbor, no going backwards.
Well, I made it out. Carried Dad's 760 '06. About 10am after a missed opportunity at a decent racked buck earlier, I took a nice little 8 pt with one of my better/more challenging shots I've ever taken. 165gr Sierra loaded by Dad flopped him over. Gun was deep cleaned, rubbed down with preservation wax, the other 19 shells in the box were taped shut until my 5 y/o is big enough to use "PawPaw's" gun. I shed a bunch of tears, but they felt good
šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰

Glad you made it out and made a memory with your father again.
Congratulations! I did the same thing with my dads 760 30-06 the year he died.
My late fatherā€™s Rem 760 sits in my safe. As an heirloom, itā€™s not really mine. Iā€™m just the custodian for now. Actually, I had forgotten about it until you started this thread. I think the old scope is bad. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve got one sitting around that would suffice. Thanks for the reminder.
Well, I made it out. Carried Dad's 760 '06. About 10am after a missed opportunity at a decent racked buck earlier, I took a nice little 8 pt with one of my better/more challenging shots I've ever taken. 165gr Sierra loaded by Dad flopped him over. Gun was deep cleaned, rubbed down with preservation wax, the other 19 shells in the box were taped shut until my 5 y/o is big enough to use "PawPaw's" gun. I shed a bunch of tears, but they felt good

That's great, hope it continues to help you heal.
Glad you went out and got one
Sounds like it happened the way he meant it to. I'm sure your child will appreciate it too when the time comes.
Originally Posted by WMR
My late fatherā€™s Rem 760 sits in my safe. As an heirloom, itā€™s not really mine. Iā€™m just the custodian for now. Actually, I had forgotten about it until you started this thread. I think the old scope is bad. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve got one sitting around that would suffice. Thanks for the reminder.

Ironically, the scope was bad on Dad's when I went to check it a couple weeks ago. In Dad's stash of "just in case stuff" was a Leupold 2-7 that I knew he had got from his best friend. I thought that made it the perfect one to live on Dad's rifle.
Losing your dad and hunting partner will take the air out of your sail for sure. Glad you had the times you did with him.
Man I'm glad you got out there and I'm sure your dad was too.

Atta boy šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ˜‰
That sir isā€¦AWESOME!!! Congrats! I think ya done yourself, your Dad, and his rifle proud! ā€œDusty eyesā€ and a family legacy firmly added to. I hoped youā€™d hunt, time in the woods is good for the soul. Well done.

Doc_Holidude
[quote=WMR]My late fatherā€™s Rem 760 sits in my safe. As an heirloom, itā€™s not really mine. Iā€™m just the custodian for now. Actually, I had forgotten about it until you started this thread. I think the old scope is bad. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve got one sitting around that would suffice. Thanks for the reminder.

Ironically, the scope was bad on Dad's when I went to check it a couple weeks ago. In Dad's stash of "just in case stuff" was a Leupold 2-7 that I knew he had got from his best friend. I thought that made it the perfect one to live on Dad's rifle.[/quote

Interesting coincidence. My dadā€™s 760 wore a 2 3/4x 26mm scope. Kollmorgen (sp) or an early Redfield IIRC. It had a post and crosshairs reticle. I have a Burris 2 1/2x with a post that should be a good replacement.
Congrads on getting out and taking a Buck.
Thanks for sharing,

Dale
© 24hourcampfire