Home
Wow. Unprecedented. I'm all about the national forest system, but my first thought it is this is an overreach. The fires are horrific and also unprecedented, so I can see their viewpoint. In general, I'm a huge fan of the USFS...

Second season starts on Saturday, four days from now. Non-residents could be already be here or on their way. Imagine taking off two weeks of work, driving here from some place two-days away, then being told you can't hunt in your unit because the forest is closed. CDOW is (laughably) offering to refund the tags...what about the gas, missed work, vacation time, food, and other expenses?

What does the fire think about this?

https://www.9news.com/article/news/.../73-de9bd893-2c9e-485f-a681-c47fce43a81c

The possibility has been discussed for the past week or so. If more fires break out in other parts of the state those NF's may be closed too. Currently a fire outside of Silverton in the San Juan NF.

The positive note is this weekend the forecast is for colder and slightly bet wetter conditions for most of the state.
I understand the seriousness of the situation and am more than blessed not to be affected this time. I've been evacuated twice before... CDOW has to step up and provide a better alternative than refunding the tag price and +1 points. IMO, 5+ points need to be given, voucher for free small game licenses, application fees, for 2021. Something more than here's your money back for the non-residents, especially if they are already in state.

as we all know

fires are still badd in the west
5+ points!?!? For a bunch of 0 point units. They could use the break and some rejuvenated habitat
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban. I hunt here every year during multiple seasons and I am glad the public lands are closed. I would rather give up a hunting season than have my house burn down. The firefighting resources are already stretched very thin. One more fire might be more than we can handle. As it is, the Incident Command estimates containment of the East Troublesome fire on October 30, if we get the snow that is predicted for this weekend. I feel bad for the guys who won’t get to hunt, but there are times when recreation becomes a lower priority. I feel worse for my friend who lost his house, and for my neighbors who have evacuated 200 horses and are now trying to figure out how to feed them. The people around here are hunters, pro hunting, mostly Republican, but really aren’t in the mood to hear about people having to cancel their vacations and wanting the government to reimburse them for their gas, missed work and so on.

CPW has nothing to do with NF closures. One is state the other is Fed. Nobody can stop a hunter from hunting on private land, and I know outfitters who will be outfitting the 2nd season on private land within and adjacent to those NF's that are closed.
I feel a heck of a lot worse for the people who have lost everything in the fires than someone who just lost their hunting area and expenses.These fires are not the fault of CPW. Even so,if they did some type of restitution other hunters would be the ones paying for it. These fires have been going on since mid summer hunters should have been keeping track of them.I was shut out of two areas for archery and my ML hunt was ruined by the drought and sheep that were not moved out when they were suppose to be. I chalked it up to bad luck. Too bad the 30 day period for turning in tags is past for elk season.I think CPW is doing all they can to help.You know it must really gall them to give that money back as greedy as they are.
Colorado and cdow is all about taking nonresident money and nothing else, I'd say it was pretty god damn amazing they will offer s refund of your tag cost. Take the money and leave. MB
Originally Posted by exbiologist
5+ points!?!? For a bunch of 0 point units. They could use the break and some rejuvenated habitat

Oh so true.......
Originally Posted by riverdog
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban.

What was the cause of the fire?
Official word is that it is under investigation. there were no thunderstorms or storms of any kind for a long time before. Word around the area is that some some cops who were hunting in the area observed some lowlife [bleep] in a hunting camp with a campfire and reported same. I also talked with a cowboy who was bringing some stock down and noticed a tendril of smoke from a campfire, and not long later a large plume. It may not have been hunters, just campers but not a lot of that going on this time of year. . No loggers were operating in the area.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban.

What was the cause of the fire?

According to Inciweb, it is "under investigation". Googling provided no answers either.

Edit: just saw riverdog's post after posting my comment.
America has become a nation of chicken littles. The sky is constantly falling and something must be done. We all pay the price for the fear that some insist on dwelling on every second of their existance.

Americans are good with losing their freedoms if some chicken little screams loud enough.
I have never been a fan of the USFS...but this year, I have never seen such an absolute flood of clueless urban idiots into the National Forests, I suppose because the people that normally go to destination resorts decided to go camping because of covid. They shut down the entire Region 2 forests this summer, and should have done it earlier. For all of their faults, the USFS has to make the rules to work for the stupidest and most clueless forest visitors. It doesn't matter that you are knowledgeable about fuel moisture, humidity, wind, engine exhaust, maybe even have firefighting experience...the rules must be adjusted to the dumbest user...and applied equally to all. The whole motor vehicle code is based on making travel safe for the stupidest, same thing.
You guys hang tough up there, Riverdog. Am sorry about your friend's home. Those are my old stomping grounds too and quite possibly we know some of the same folks. I too, feel for those who are not able to hunt, but there are many in much worse a predicament. Those forests have been rode hard these last many years and could use a break, too! Grand County and the high country of my home statewide are in my prayers.
It’s phugging horse chit

Yep that will cease all fires ! Lol
Agree T82, the Grand County forests have been rode hard. We are 2 hours away from 3 million people on the front range. The only answer to that I guess is to move away. The hunting pressure in the last few years is unbelievable...to the point that I gave up hunting the regular rifle seasons here a few years ago. I have heard thought that there is talk at CPW of limiting ALL licenses in unit 18...hopefully there will be no more OTC licenses. The USFS people I meet working around here are all good and dedicated people that have to work in an enormous bureaucracy. They do seem to be making dog decisions. They are getting some logging of beetle kill done but the scale of the problem dwarfs the resources. The guy that lost his house is actually over on the front range, in the Left Hand canyon fire. Another fire that blew up out of nowhere, kind of like the California situation.
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban. I hunt here every year during multiple seasons and I am glad the public lands are closed. I would rather give up a hunting season than have my house burn down. The firefighting resources are already stretched very thin. One more fire might be more than we can handle. As it is, the Incident Command estimates containment of the East Troublesome fire on October 30, if we get the snow that is predicted for this weekend. I feel bad for the guys who won’t get to hunt, but there are times when recreation becomes a lower priority. I feel worse for my friend who lost his house, and for my neighbors who have evacuated 200 horses and are now trying to figure out how to feed them. The people around here are hunters, pro hunting, mostly Republican, but really aren’t in the mood to hear about people having to cancel their vacations and wanting the government to reimburse them for their gas, missed work and so on.

Kinda puts things in a different perspective don't it ?
Originally Posted by Fireball2
America has become a nation of chicken littles. The sky is constantly falling and something must be done. We all pay the price for the fear that some insist on dwelling on every second of their existance.

Americans are good with losing their freedoms if some chicken little screams loud enough.

Try living when the fire is less than 1/4 mile from your home and already 500 homes have burned. People are losing everything they have lived a life time building. Yours must be the most stupidest post I have ever read. I bet when the fire comes calling for you,you will be cowering under some rock. Freaking unbelievable!!!!!!!

JFC, the firefighters and local LEOs have their hands full just dealing with evacuations of people who live there and then trying to protect their homes, livestock, and property. They damn sure don't need to have the added burden of dealing with a bunch of recreationists.

Talk about "entitlement." "I drove all this way and I MUST be allowed to do what I want, f*ck all you long-time residents and first responders."

Give me a f*cking break.
All that Glycol in his drink of choice got to his head.

Hope you and your neighbors come out of this safe and well.
My point isn't that I'm unsympathetic for people impacted by fires, my point is Americans are being conditioned to "close down the whole world". Whether it's covid, fires, or whatever, over the last few years I've watched freedom after freedom disappear because we are being conditioned that life can't have risk. If there is even a small chance something could happen, we must all lose our freedoms to ensure x,y,z can never happen. It's getting to the point I can't run equipment much of the year out of someone's irrational fear-based policy. Let me give you an example.

A few years ago I cut brush along roadways with a flail mower completing govt contracts. While the rest of the world was shut down due to fire danger, the govt allowed us to brush roadside. In the process of brushing, your mower inevitably hits rocks and sends sparks all over the place. I never started a fire. They didn't care, because it was their project. If Mr. Private Citizen had tried starting his tractor in the middle of his lush green lawn a neighbor would call and report him out of fear he was going to start a fire. We have been completely conditioned to live in fear, and worse yet, rat each other out, which most are all to happy to do.

Well, you know, life has risk. Drive a car? Risk. Play baseball? Risk. Climb a tree as a kid? Risk. Do you think as many mothers today let their kids climb a tree as did when we were kids? Nope, I doubt it to. We are being conditioned to give up all our freedoms in the name of fear.

In this case, close down the forests, in the fear that something might happen.

It's bullshit. And you campfire [bleep] don't mischaracterize what I mean, I know exactly what I mean.
You don't know what the f*ck you're talking about. No appreciable precipitation up there for over a month and winds of 60-70 miles an hour, with the fires blowing up and burning 7-8,000 acres in a day.

Yeah, let's open it up and let people in there, great idea.

Just STF up.
I'm talking about America. A systemic program of conditioning Americans to accept a loss of freedom. There was a time when Americans could make their own choices about risk and reward. Now the government makes that decision for us, and it always goes the same way, loss of freedom in the name of safety.

Be sure and wear your mask btw.
Problem is people are stupid . Build a campfire in the NF be cause I have the FREEDOM to do so. And now people are losing everything they own because of " it's my right , f # ck everybody else , I'll do what I want " . It's bad when the goverment has to legislate common sense because " people" are stupid .
My point isn't that I'm unsympathetic for people impacted by fires, my point is Americans are being conditioned to "close down the whole world". Whether it's covid, fires, or whatever, over the last few years I've watched freedom after freedom disappear because we are being conditioned that life can't have risk. If there is even a small chance something could happen, we must all lose our freedoms to ensure x,y,z can never happen. It's getting to the point I can't run equipment much of the year out of someone's irrational fear-based policy. Let me give you an example.

A few years ago I cut brush along roadways with a flail mower completing govt contracts. While the rest of the world was shut down due to fire danger, the govt allowed us to brush roadside. In the process of brushing, your mower inevitably hits rocks and sends sparks all over the place. I never started a fire. They didn't care, because it was their project. If Mr. Private Citizen had tried starting his tractor in the middle of his lush green lawn a neighbor would call and report him out of fear he was going to start a fire. We have been completely conditioned to live in fear, and worse yet, rat each other out, which most are all to happy to do.

Well, you know, life has risk. Drive a car? Risk. Play baseball? Risk. Climb a tree as a kid? Risk. Do you think as many mothers today let their kids climb a tree as did when we were kids? Nope, I doubt it to. We are being conditioned to give up all our freedoms in the name of fear.

It's bullshit. And you campfire [bleep] don't mischaracterize what I mean, I know exactly what I mean.

Well said.
All good points, and I am not a proponent of shutting off access or government overreach of any kind, but this situation in Colorado and more importantly the Middle and North Park areas of the state were the epicenter of the beetle kill. I have only been there once since '04 when I had to move to help family, and it was getting bad then. When I pull up my old hunting grounds I can barely navigate as my memory of a full forest of trees is compromised. It is just plain ugly, and to keep the unit 18 area open to hunting and recreation right now is foolhardy imo and limited, exhausted resources and public servants have their hands full right now. I see on inci web that grouse mountain burned overnight. During my time frame that mountain held the repeater for at least half of the communications in Grand County, the other repeater was on Table mountain which is in the path also, though probably safe, for now. Anyhoo, just my observation from afar.
They're mopping up a 90k acre fire near here right now. Deer season is open and it's a draw hunt. They have it open for hunting. The IDFG gave tag holders some options. They can hunt the part of the unit that didn't burn, they can turn in their tags for OTC tags in other areas, or they can hold on to their tags and get an automatic draw next year. It's a very tough tag to draw and I suspect many will keep them. The deer had to go somewhere so hunting the unburned part of the unit might be pretty good.
The other side of the coin is, they don’t “protect” and a fire blows up and burns over people/hunters and we are paying out multi million dollar lawsuits because the USFS knew the threat level is high.

I dislike closures as much as the next guy, but a fire is much easier to mange than a rescue operation.

It is happening, wildfires, not might. When idiots don't follow the regs, fire restrictions, they are the reason for the closure.

This thread was about forest closures not your anti gov't rant. Keep drinking that glycol Fireball.
We deal with fires here too. We get months of high temps without rain.

Biggest problem is how do people with common sense live with freedoms when 50% of the country lacks common sense and is outwardly moronic in their decision making?
Well friends, my house and barn are gone. I hope that the jackass parasitic greed head first season hunters are glad that they could keep warm with a campfire. I guess for me it doesn’t matter anymore if the public lands are closed or not. What the hey, come on up, have a campfire, don’t want to interfere with your vacation plans.
That is messed up, Dude. Am sorry to hear that! I can't imagine what you must be dealing with! I will keep you in my prayers , brother, that is all I can offer you right now!
I just pulled up the fire, that thing got huge today, jumped 125 by a big margin, up the backside of little gravel and heading towards the lakes. What a pisser. Must have had some serious swirling winds in the last 24 hrs.
Ah schit.
damn. just damn.....
Sorry to hear.
Well friends, my house and barn are gone. I hope that the jackass parasitic greed head first season hunters are glad that they could keep warm with a campfire. I guess for me it doesn’t matter anymore if the public lands are closed or not. What the hey, come on up, have a campfire, don’t want to interfere with your vacation plans.

That's a shïtty deal. Sorry to hear about that. It's happened quite a bit to folks I know the last several years, in various parts of the west and and for various reasons. Beetle kill is one of the bigger reasons....

This is a classic example of the difficulty in deciphering how to protect one person's rights, without stomping on another's.

There's no real good answer.
If the government was closing the forest in just a dry fire year I could maybe call it overreach. The USFS is closing a few forests in the driest year in 50 years with the biggest fires in our history, I’d say that justifies it.
Damn, I’m so sorry Riverdog.
Thanks for all the kind words. We are hearing now that the entire town of grand lake is being evacuated
Yes Aunt called earlier tonight. Ranch Foreman (y’all know each other ) and family evacuated about 7:30 pm.
Really sorry to hear that riverdog.
Damn. Sorry to hear that riverdog.

riverdog:.... I am so sorry to hear of your loss of house and barn. Hopefully you can rebuild...so happy there was no loss of life in your case. Tragic wildland fires... and so many are loosing it all ! Can't imagine loosing a lifetime of memories and possessions. Hang tough riverdog... better times to come.. .hopefully ! HH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4yURbCofU8&list=PLlV2Iuo79CurP5zMLD2P8FhAzyhiY0GqF&index=4

A 4.25 min video ( You tube) of the East Troublesome wildfire and evacuation in Grand lake Colorado. Tragic loss ! Stay safe and "Thank you " firefighters ! HH
RIverdog,

PM sent
Man, oh man, I cannot believe the reach in such a short time of this fire. It is passing Grand Lake as we speak and into the park. Some of you are living in Grand county now, I was there for 25 years. The number of friends who've lost homes right now is numerous! This event has been feared for many years now and that day has come. My fear right now is that it manages to merge with the Cameron Peak fire before the weather cools , hopefully, some rain in the forecast this weekend . Unbelievable, I would not wish to be the individual(s) who started this!
According to fire map, not looking good for our place this morning. Only thing that may help some is they have had a good beetle tree removal program going on there for a while. Last two years they have been pretty aggresive on the west side along the mountain. Removed a bunch. I don’t know if it was enough to help tho.

This is a big damn fire.
Looks it went all the way to the continental divide in RMNP. Grand Lake lodge burned down along with many homes in that part of Grand lake. No news otherwise, except that the firefighters are trying to push the fire north away from town.
Praying for you all in the path. Hoping this cold front brings in nice snow today and then Sunday.
All you folks are in for some tryin times, I do not envy. KWoodie, I fear for your Aunt's ranch, when I saw the videos of last night, it was horrendous. I have many fond memories of Grand Lake. I first worked there in the summer of '77. I was a boat boy at the GL Marina. I worked on all the boats on that lake, including the boats of the James family( who owned the GL lodge back then) I have known Reed James since he and I were 18. The reach of this fire beyond what is already burned is immense.
Looks to have been a bad night and a bad day coming, hope everyone stays safe.
That is horrific news, I can’t imagine going through this
A friend was a game warden back in the day at Hot Sulphur. He has fancy-smancy mountain place up at grand lake that burned to the ground yesterday. 1.8 million worth of ash.....
You tube has some excellent videos of the wildfires starting at 6:00am Denver time from Denver7 news titled: Thurs Oct 22 for East Troublesone Fire. The Rocky Mtn NP.... the whole park, is now closed due to fires There is only 11.2 miles seperating the Cameron Peak fire and the East troublesome Fire. They are afraid of these two fires merging. This such a terrible tragedy... God Bless all you folks involved... and the brave fire fighter ! HH video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-JIe-m5C3c You tube video as fire approaches Granby. HH

Originally Posted by huntsman22
A friend was a game warden back in the day at Hot Sulphur. He has fancy-smancy mountain place up at grand lake that burned to the ground yesterday. 1.8 million worth of ash.....

We have some friends with a nice cabin up there, between town and the entrance to the park. They were there last night and were told to evacuate at 8:00 PM. Their place went up at 8:30. On the way out, they saw a light on at the neighbor's, and stopped in to see what was going on, the neighbors hadn't heard and were watching TV. Good thing they stopped in, the whole neighborhood went up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXwb7B1Knkg 3,45 min video You tube

10/22/20.... One of the more recent You tube videos of the East Troublesome fire and Estes Park residents concerns and evacuations . Sunday will bring coolers temps and percipitation. HH

I hunted ML season in Moffat County. Couldn't believe how dry it was. I feel for anyone living near these fires. Hope you get some significant precipitation soon!

The East Troublesome Fire has jumped the continental divide and is on the east side of RMNP. Mandatory evacuations for all of Estes Park. The Cameron Peak and Troublesome fires are now about 10 miles apart.

About 9 this morning the incident commander thought it would be highly unlikely the fire could get over the divide. Two hours later it jumped the peaks and ridges. The embers had to gain 1000 to 2000 ft elevation over rocky ground and come back down still hot enough to start fires on the east side. Air temps are in the 30's and 40's up there, maybe even colder. That's pretty impressive.........
Casey: That is amazing.... the fire had the momentum and ability to pass over the Cont Div to burn eastward. Just saw Estes Park residents are looking at evacuation ! The fire seems unstoppable. Stay safe Colo residents !

Denver 7 news 10/22/20 8 min video Grand county & Estes park evacuation and wildfire info !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cchfemonvw HH
My niece evacuated early. Was south of hwy 40 so they left before mandatory. Other niece is in tabernash/fraser so safe so far.
I have not seen anything on inciweb map of fire crossing the divide yet, though maybe those updated images have not been put on map yet.
Can we now agree that closing public lands is appropriate?
We got the word yesterday that two groups of our extended family had to evacuate on a few minutes notice and may have lost their homes due to the East Troublesome fire. Still waiting on word on the homes and they may not know for days.

Is it inconvenient and discouraging to travel a couple days only to discover you can't hunt your area? Yes, but it is definitely a first-world problem. Twice I've had to abandon an elk hunt due to illness in the family back home. On another hunt we lost time because of mechanical failure. My brother, on multiple occasions, flew the bodies back from Canada when people died on hunting and fishing trips. Inconvenient stuff happens.

The closures are due to the Feds. CPW is, in MHO, being overly generous in providing a Preference Point in addition to a refund for those affected. How about a PP for those who, like me, have had an animal test positive for CWD? Or because the migration did not occur at the usual time? Or it snowed heavily? Or the moon was in the wrong phase?

Count your blessings, people.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Count your blessings, people.

This!!! My heart still goes out for those that have suffered and lost in this incident. And good words are still going up for you!!
I had some old friends from Grand County send me msgs yesterday evening as I was sitting on the front porch of the dairy (which now just raises a few calves and heifers) drinking a cold one. I thought about all my friends who have lost their homes, the ranches I poured concrete on and later did some packing and guiding out of. I thought of all the hunts and the times in the backcountry, and felt blessed and fortunate to have seen it before the biblical pestilence arrived.Most of the troublesome basin and all my old hunting grounds are now one big , ugly ash tray. Unfortunately, this devastation needed to occur at such an epic scale to provide solace for future generations of mankind and critters. As most of Grand County knew, it was a matter of when not if. Stay safe folks and count your blessings for sure! An entire economy and way of life was just abruptly put on pause, for many years!
Turns out that the grand lake lodge wasn’t burned after all but their is extensive loss of homes outside of Grand Lake. Every place I have hunted in unit 18 over the past 13 years is burned out.
That is good to know on the Lodge. I imagine, just from my last time up there and the recent google earth photos I have been seeing these past few years that many homes will have lesser damage as the mitigation has been pretty intense since early 2000'. Hopefully , this comes true. One could not look at that night sky and the height of that monster and believe anything could have come through unscathed! Ya, the hunting grounds, all my camps, are now pretty crispy! Hope you get some relief of some sort soon, Riverdog! These were our hunting camps, some of my own, Troublesome basin; Lost Gulch, just west of there , Big Tree camp, Hay park, Just below Grimes, Between McBride and Deer Creek, mouth of Timber Creek (Samuelson's main camp for many years) I had an archery camp in Pony park, loved that spot till I caught a bunch of ATV phuques going off trail! Anyhoo, those are some of the camps we hunted out of.
I've been evacuated from my place in Montana a few times over the years. It's a no joke nerve wrecking experience wondering if you'll have anything left to go back to or not.

I've always been anal about keeping fuels away from the house and barn but it sounds like those precautions aren't worth much with this fire.

Here's hoping everyone's worst is behind them....
Unless one has been in this region, it is hard to explain to people how much fuel is available for the fire. As someone mentioned in some other post. All the way from Walden to Winter Park has suffered a beetle infestation , killing 90% percent of all the lodgepole pine. The Spruce bark beetle has destroyed a good number of the Spruce trees, from what a biologist told me. I have been pulling up images on Google Earth of my old stomping grounds and I had a hard time navigating by memory because I last spent time in the woods when they were all alive. Folks are telling me, second hand, (not vetted) that some folks up there have been refusing to evacuate causing even more problems for the firefighters and LEO's. A bad deal, but a couple of days of cooler weather and some snow should help, then followed by more dry weather with,higher temps...
My prayers, thoughts, and vibes are with riverdog and all those affected by the Grand County fires.

I first hunted elk in the Troublesome in the 90s (choked when I had the chance at a nice bull on opening morning - Trail Creek area) and killed my first elk the next year up off CR4. My wife worked at GL Lodge for several summers, and it's glad to hear it's survived, so far. Such a beautiful piece of history. Family owns a place in GL (in town, so ok) and we own a piece of land down by Tabernash.

Grand County has been a tinderbox for 10 years due to the beetle kill. This is so sad. And even more depressing to know it may have been caused by hunters who just had to have a campfire.
My prayers and heartfelt sorrow goes out to all the good folks in these two fire's path. 6-7 years ago we we were evacuated for two weeks because of the Black Forest fire near Colorado Springs . Living in gut wretching fear for that time was terribly stressful. Not knowing if all we had was lost. We only had time to grab a few things and load the mules to leave.

When we did get back in, they had stopped the fire only four lots away from our place. A good friend was not so fortunate.

No one that has not gone through this and lives miles away can fathom the destruction. Now 6-7 years later we are reminded every day of it because of all the burned trees still standing and those that have fallen.. It was human caused and over 500 homes burned.

God speed help to all effected.

Vince
I just found out today, Lyle and Marilyn Hileman were killed in their home in the fire.They were adamant about not evacuating . They had a beautiful home bordering the park NW of Grand Lake. We poured concrete there many years ago. Lyle was a retired Denver FD. He was a little stud, was on our SAR team for awhile and his grit was humbling. A few years later he and a buddy were running an auger to put in some footings, his sleeve got caught in the auger and ripped his arm off. He never missed a beat after that with only one arm and a prosthetic. Rest in Peace, old friend, till we meet again!
This is all very sad. I pray for all the locals affected by this. Having never lived through this type of situation I’m having a hard time grasping the magnitude. I hunted Hay Park with Samuelson three times back in the early 2000’s and my fondest hunting memories are there.
You people keep safe out there-
A lot of people I know don’t really understand this but I know you guys will. When the pre-evac order came my wife was out of town so I got the llamas out to what I thought was a safe place, then loaded up photos, documents, etc, then The better guns, all into my camper truck along with a few clothes and some food (canned elk form last season!) And whiskey and Gun Gack III. The fire was moving slowly for a couple days. Fortunately a good friend arrived and helped me load more into our other truck and a utility trailer. Got the rest of the guns, our new Seek Outside tipi and 3 tipi stoves, spotting scope, binoculars, backpacks, boots, and about 10,000 rounds total of rifle and pistol ammo. Then reloading components: about 10,000 primers and similar numbers of bullets and a lot of brass. Also all the llama tack and various boots. Poor truck was sagging a little under the ammo load. Anyhoo, after the house burned some other friends were helping me unload, organize and store the stuff. People asked repeatedly “Why did you take all this stuff? Why not art, books, etc etc.?” Well, the answer is this stuff IS what is important and that the ammo and components cannot be replaced. Even with insurance money there is no ammo available.

Sad: after the house burned I remembered that there were about 1500 rounds of shotgun ammo that I forgot and an unopened bottle of Very Very Old Fitzgerald bottled in bond, 1962.
Is the snow up there doing any good today?
I know your house is already gone and I’m sure sorry, just wondering if the weather is helping slow the fire any today.
A lot of people I know don’t really understand this but I know you guys will. When the pre-evac order came my wife was out of town so I got the llamas out to what I thought was a safe place, then loaded up photos, documents, etc, then The better guns, all into my camper truck along with a few clothes and some food (canned elk form last season!) And whiskey and Gun Gack III. The fire was moving slowly for a couple days. Fortunately a good friend arrived and helped me load more into our other truck and a utility trailer. Got the rest of the guns, our new Seek Outside tipi and 3 tipi stoves, spotting scope, binoculars, backpacks, boots, and about 10,000 rounds total of rifle and pistol ammo. Then reloading components: about 10,000 primers and similar numbers of bullets and a lot of brass. Also all the llama tack and various boots. Poor truck was sagging a little under the ammo load. Anyhoo, after the house burned some other friends were helping me unload, organize and store the stuff. People asked repeatedly “Why did you take all this stuff? Why not art, books, etc etc.?” Well, the answer is this stuff IS what is important and that the ammo and components cannot be replaced. Even with insurance money there is no ammo available.

Sad: after the house burned I remembered that there were about 1500 rounds of shotgun ammo that I forgot and an unopened bottle of Very Very Old Fitzgerald bottled in bond, 1962.

Am glad you got what you did, sorry about the whiskey and I can't believe you did not think to grab your wife's shoes! grin Keep hanging tough! Your llamas reminded me of a dude who hunted one of our drop camps west of Lost Gulch many years ago. His name was Don. Years later this same dude and his llama's camped north of our camp. We called him Donny Llama!

Sorry for your loss riverdog, but glad you got most of the important stuff out. I didn't see fishing rods on the list, but hope you got those out too. Too bad about the old Fitz.
Yep all fly rods and reels minus 1. Also brought wife’s cowboy boots AND waders.
And yes the snow is helping a ton.
I was in the area for 2nd season opener. Odd going to sleep in a tent with the sounds of helicopters and the 2 big flying boats they had working the area and seeing actual flames at night. Hope more moisture falls across the northern part of CO beyond what's coming down now.
Well about 2/3rds of the ranch burned. Whole north end. But we got real lucky as we think most all structures survived. Cousins are headed up there this week to assess things. Naturally the hayfield took the biggest hit. But it will pop back with some moisture in the spring. But the earlier beetle tree removal of about a decade or so ago and the last two years of removal apparently help considerably. South end and east side are unburned.
Good to hear, Kaywoodie.
Thanks, Smokepole.
Great news on the ranch! Some friends of mine live not too far from there up behind Soda Springs on the hill. Their home came through unscathed. She owns Hilly Lawn and does all the town flowers , or used to. Carla and Dave Lawn....you might have seen her truck around town when you are up there.
Yes the lower Soda Springs folks appear fine. Soda Springs creek runs thru very west end of ranch. I met an old hippie dude who lives up there in that area over one morning at Mountain Fork res. during a kokanee harvest back in 2010. I believe they are ok too! I’m speculating that the forest service did some back burning in the hay field as the fire map didn’t change for two days and then all of a sudden a bit more burned all way up to the ranch road. You can see it on the aerial map. I was hoping they would use the hay meadow for that because if the fire ljumped the ranch road and hit the trees on the eastside it would have burned all way to Hwy 34 and down to Shadow Mtn. Lake. LOTS of homes in that area.

I will know more later in week.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
If the fire ljumped the ranch road and hit the trees on the eastside it would have burned all way to Hwy 34 and down to Shadow Mtn. Lake. LOTS of homes in that area.

Wow.

PS, our friends who lost their place just called to get the information on our canoe that was up there for the insurance claim. Their place burnt down and they're worried about our canoe, what can you say about friends like that.

Geez I hope the insurance was paid up!
Originally Posted by Aviator

Knowing Bob, I'd bet it was insured to the hilt......
I just came down 40 from Hayden to Denver yesterday from elk hunting. It was snowing real hard and the roads were a mess all the way from the snow. Gotta think it helped the fire situation. Fire ban was on where we hunt too, and not one camp on the way up had a stovepipe sticking outta the tent. Probably because the FS was enforcing. When I heard the weather forecast was calling for lows to 16 below, I damn sure wasn't going to backpack tent camp without heat, so we boogied home early.....

Couple pics of the place Bob lost... steel roof and mostly stone walls, didn't seem to help much
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Dang, looks like it was pretty well clear of timber and brush all the way around.
Dang, those photos are from my neighborhood. You could just about see my house in the photo looking down valley. I’ve killed elk and deer both on the high ridge viable on the photo looking up. BLM up there. I remember when the previous owner logged the place off and did all the mitigation. That place was as mitigated as you can get. Must’ve been a hell of a firestorm.
That’s horrible, can’t protect a place much better than that
That place was as mitigated as you can get. Must’ve been a hell of a firestorm.

Our friends sent a video that came from the neighbors front door camera before the place went up. It starts out in darkness, and within a few seconds goes from darkness to the trees lighting up like someone is shining a floodlight, then a shower of big glowing embers falling almost straight down, then just a wall of flame, where the video ends. All in a few seconds.

I just came down 40 from Hayden to Denver yesterday from elk hunting. It was snowing real hard and the roads were a mess all the way from the snow. Gotta think it helped the fire situation. Fire ban was on where we hunt too, and not one camp on the way up had a stovepipe sticking outta the tent. Probably because the FS was enforcing. When I heard the weather forecast was calling for lows to 16 below, I damn sure wasn't going to backpack tent camp without heat, so we boogied home early.....

Couple pics of the place Bob lost... steel roof and mostly stone walls, didn't seem to help much

What a mess!

How was your hunt this year? I remember your story last year having your dog along with you.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Dang, looks like it was pretty well clear of timber and brush all the way around.

What more could a person reasonably do to protect a house in that location?

It looks like it might have been saved if there had just been 2 or 3 sprinklers running full open while rotating 360-degrees up on the roof.
I remember your story last year having your dog along with you.

The dog goes everywhere with me. At elk camp again this year...

Damn, that's a shïtty deal....he kept the fuels away as best as could be expected, about like I've always kept my place in Montana. That fire must have been something else....
Can't imagine the amount of fire in the air to burn that home. Beautiful home. I am trying to think of all the game wardens from my years back there. Bob from Hot Sulphur......Rob Furth, is the only one that comes to mind! Now the clean up and dealing with the insurance companies for all these folks. What a mess!
Hartman. early 70's
That is really too bad about his home. I keep looking at that and there is no way one could have figured that to get lit!
I lost my house in the 2012 high park fire. It was surrounded by trees both live and dead. We stayed till the fire was pretty close and started to surround the house. Burning pine cones and embers were falling all around us. That fire jumped 16 miles in one night.

We rebuilt and did a lot of mitigation just like Bob.

When the Cameron Peak fire started it was 40 Miles to the Northwest. In three nights it was almost at our door step 2 miles away pushed by 70 MPH winds. It was like looking into the gates of hell. Fortunately the wind switched to coming from the North and the fire blew right past us.

I can see why the forest service closed all GMU units. I would not want to be camped in the woods within a 100 miles of these fires. Winds switch and its right in your face. Nothing survives a fire pushed by high winds
So its a shame to drive out here and not be able to hunt but there are a lot of people that have lost a lot more.

Lefty C

Looks like someone burned it down for the insurance money.

I am assuming you're serious here...and if so do you ever wonder why you have such a shïtty reputation around here and people like DeFlave constantly remind you of your retardation?

Do you honestly wonder why?

What a f*cking assh*le you are. First you bitch about a national forest closure where the fire burned 100,000 acres in a day, which is unheard of. Now you say a guy who lost a beautiful home burnt it down for insurance money. Where do you come up with this sh*t.
No doubt, what a fecking dooshbag!
You guys need to calm down.

*And no, I don't wonder why deflave acts like he does. Or why his fanboys are so quick to flare up.
Not answering the question still, but answering others that weren't asked.
Typical.

Carry on, I guess.
Well, you guys comment on how there's nothing burnable around the house, and yet, there the ashes are. So who started what?
Look at the last photo, dipsh*t. Everything in the frame is charred as well as the adjoining 200K acres. And think about what you're saying, for once. Real estate prices have blown up here, demand is sky high. No one has to burn a place like that to get his money out of it.

You put the "more" in moron.
Dumball2

Not only are you a POS but dumb as a brick too.

Lefty C
Pretty easy to see that glycol in his fireball is getting to him.
© 24hourcampfire