Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yep all fly rods and reels minus 1. Also brought wife’s cowboy boots AND waders.

Last edited by riverdog; 10/25/20.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
And yes the snow is helping a ton.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I was in the area for 2nd season opener. Odd going to sleep in a tent with the sounds of helicopters and the 2 big flying boats they had working the area and seeing actual flames at night. Hope more moisture falls across the northern part of CO beyond what's coming down now.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well about 2/3rds of the ranch burned. Whole north end. But we got real lucky as we think most all structures survived. Cousins are headed up there this week to assess things. Naturally the hayfield took the biggest hit. But it will pop back with some moisture in the spring. But the earlier beetle tree removal of about a decade or so ago and the last two years of removal apparently help considerably. South end and east side are unburned.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good to hear, Kaywoodie.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks, Smokepole.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great news on the ranch! Some friends of mine live not too far from there up behind Soda Springs on the hill. Their home came through unscathed. She owns Hilly Lawn and does all the town flowers , or used to. Carla and Dave Lawn....you might have seen her truck around town when you are up there.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yes the lower Soda Springs folks appear fine. Soda Springs creek runs thru very west end of ranch. I met an old hippie dude who lives up there in that area over one morning at Mountain Fork res. during a kokanee harvest back in 2010. I believe they are ok too! I’m speculating that the forest service did some back burning in the hay field as the fire map didn’t change for two days and then all of a sudden a bit more burned all way up to the ranch road. You can see it on the aerial map. I was hoping they would use the hay meadow for that because if the fire ljumped the ranch road and hit the trees on the eastside it would have burned all way to Hwy 34 and down to Shadow Mtn. Lake. LOTS of homes in that area.

I will know more later in week.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
If the fire ljumped the ranch road and hit the trees on the eastside it would have burned all way to Hwy 34 and down to Shadow Mtn. Lake. LOTS of homes in that area.

Wow.

PS, our friends who lost their place just called to get the information on our canoe that was up there for the insurance claim. Their place burnt down and they're worried about our canoe, what can you say about friends like that.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22
A friend was a game warden back in the day at Hot Sulphur. He has fancy-smancy mountain place up at grand lake that burned to the ground yesterday. 1.8 million worth of ash.....

Geez I hope the insurance was paid up!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Aviator
A friend was a game warden back in the day at Hot Sulphur. He has fancy-smancy mountain place up at grand lake that burned to the ground yesterday. 1.8 million worth of ash.....

Knowing Bob, I'd bet it was insured to the hilt......
I just came down 40 from Hayden to Denver yesterday from elk hunting. It was snowing real hard and the roads were a mess all the way from the snow. Gotta think it helped the fire situation. Fire ban was on where we hunt too, and not one camp on the way up had a stovepipe sticking outta the tent. Probably because the FS was enforcing. When I heard the weather forecast was calling for lows to 16 below, I damn sure wasn't going to backpack tent camp without heat, so we boogied home early.....

Couple pics of the place Bob lost... steel roof and mostly stone walls, didn't seem to help much
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang, looks like it was pretty well clear of timber and brush all the way around.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Dang, those photos are from my neighborhood. You could just about see my house in the photo looking down valley. I’ve killed elk and deer both on the high ridge viable on the photo looking up. BLM up there. I remember when the previous owner logged the place off and did all the mitigation. That place was as mitigated as you can get. Must’ve been a hell of a firestorm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That’s horrible, can’t protect a place much better than that

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by riverdog
That place was as mitigated as you can get. Must’ve been a hell of a firestorm.

Our friends sent a video that came from the neighbors front door camera before the place went up. It starts out in darkness, and within a few seconds goes from darkness to the trees lighting up like someone is shining a floodlight, then a shower of big glowing embers falling almost straight down, then just a wall of flame, where the video ends. All in a few seconds.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I just came down 40 from Hayden to Denver yesterday from elk hunting. It was snowing real hard and the roads were a mess all the way from the snow. Gotta think it helped the fire situation. Fire ban was on where we hunt too, and not one camp on the way up had a stovepipe sticking outta the tent. Probably because the FS was enforcing. When I heard the weather forecast was calling for lows to 16 below, I damn sure wasn't going to backpack tent camp without heat, so we boogied home early.....

Couple pics of the place Bob lost... steel roof and mostly stone walls, didn't seem to help much

What a mess!

How was your hunt this year? I remember your story last year having your dog along with you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Dang, looks like it was pretty well clear of timber and brush all the way around.

What more could a person reasonably do to protect a house in that location?

It looks like it might have been saved if there had just been 2 or 3 sprinklers running full open while rotating 360-degrees up on the roof.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember your story last year having your dog along with you.

The dog goes everywhere with me. At elk camp again this year...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Damn, that's a shïtty deal....he kept the fuels away as best as could be expected, about like I've always kept my place in Montana. That fire must have been something else....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Can't imagine the amount of fire in the air to burn that home. Beautiful home. I am trying to think of all the game wardens from my years back there. Bob from Hot Sulphur......Rob Furth, is the only one that comes to mind! Now the clean up and dealing with the insurance companies for all these folks. What a mess!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,973
Posts18,499,406
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.