Home
Is this true? Praying it's not for our friends north of us. I know you don't have an equivalent to the Second Amendment of the U.S
Constitution, but the right listed in the Second Amendment did not originate in the U.S., and it wasn't "granted" by the U.S. government - it is a God-given right to protect yourself and your families, friends and neighbors, and to defend liberty and freedom from tyranny.

Is Trudeau trying to steal your rights?
Ramblin Razorback;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you well.

It would appear that the current government is going to attempt to ban a number of firearms. The list in the attached link may or may not be what they're attempting to take away.

I will use the term "take" because they're apparently talking about doing a "buy back" but of course they're doing it with tax money derived from the owners of said arms, so to me that's taking.

Here's a link for what's involved with launching an appeal - any firearms owners in Canada reading this are encouraged to launch an appeal for each firearm - plug the system.....

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/page-9.html

Here is a link to the NFA's take on the situation.

https://nfa.ca/2020/01/13/upcoming-gun-bans-and-confiscations-what-to-know-and-what-to-do/

Here's a link to the CCFR who are fighting this as hard as humanly possible.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/membership-info/

Some of the arms are registered and therefore will have the owners on a "list" which can be accessed by the constabulary. Some of the arms - the Mini-14's for instance are not currently registered so they then would be theoretically tougher for the federal government to locate.

My hope is that this might get enough Canadian gun owners attention sufficient so they get involved. Many of us yet believe that as long as the government is targeting the black rifles, our hunting rifles and trap shotguns are safe.

Please note that the PM stated just yesterday "But as long as Canadians are losing their loved ones to gun violence, not enough has changed."

Call me crazy, but I read that as the Liberals, NDP and Parti Quebecois will continue taking the legally owned property of Canadians until we are disarmed.

I've been saying this for nearly 40 years folks - they want them all.

Anyway, as if they hadn't spent enough of our kid's and grandkid's tax dollars with the Covid mess, we can now add this on top.

All the best to you all out there. Stay well.

Dwayne
Dwayne, you are spot on; they want them all. From what Im hearing they are also talking about taking anything that will produce over so many foot pounds as well. One fellow told me the 416 will be illegal if they get this through. Luckily I am a US citizen so have the ability to leave, and its getting close to that for me.
yukon254:
Good evening sir, thanks for the reply.

While we won't know until we see the convoluted cesspool they've created, the .50 BMG is the target they were after with the energy/joules ban.

Of course none of the globalist brain trust in the Liberal party will ever face either a polar bear or grizzly, so they don't care if Canadians can't have the best tool for the job - should that job be not becoming bear poop that day.

I'm not sure if the .416 will generate enough energy to make "the list" or not. I'm reading on the CCFR site that perhaps the .460 Weatherby will be over the limit.

Anyway sir, we'll see what we get when they roll out the septic tank contents and then do our best to fight it by whatever means we're able to.

All the best to you all this spring sir. Stay well.

Dwayne
I think the best thing we can do is to do what we can to support the Canadian firearms and shooting sports industry. Buy ammunition and guns. Go to the range and shoot. Ignore Liberal directives. GD
None of it makes any sense of course, but I fail to see why a foot-pound restriction? Somebody is REALLY going to shoot up a grocery store or church with a Weatherby magnum? What the hell?

Gotta watch out for those safari hunters, they are a scary bunch...
auk1124;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day's a fine one in your part of Kentucky and that this finds you all well.

The ruling is - as I understood it in the leaked document read yesterday - that the restriction was bore over 20mm and/or a maximum foot pound or joule rating. If I was going to guess that's aimed at taking away the .50BMG rifles that some folks like to plink at long range with.

To the best of my knowledge, no shooting has ever occurred in Canada with any sort of long range target rifle - but they do look scary and in my opinion that's the primary criteria for determining firearms laws in Canada. The fact that the best tools for defending our lives from creatures such as Polar or Grizzly bears does not occur to them, as the closest they'll come to either bear is discussing how global climate change is affecting the poor bears whilst sipping a pumpkin spice late down in some coffee shop in Toronto or Ottawa.

The Liberal and leftist who are driving this think they can have support of "regular everyday Canadians" to remove scary things first. It's for the greater good of society after all, right?

Again sir, as I'm emphatically the very antithesis of a left leaning globalist, the above is sheer speculation on my part.

Perhaps if I suffer some sort of industrial accident and loose 3/4 of my brain function I'd be better able to understand their motives, but at present that's as close a guess as I'm able to muster.

All the best to you folks sir. Stay well.

Dwayne
When you get to the underlying facts, gun bans and gun control laws aren't really about protecting the citizens - their goal is to take power away from the citizens. While the right underlying the U.S. Second Amendment is a fundamental individual right, the Founding Fathers had very fresh experience with having to throw off the yoke of a tyrant. (I understand if our Loyalist neighbors to the north have a different take on what happened in the 1770s, but that's the view down here, and the principle remains regardless of your opinion of King George III.)

The left wingers today in North America are Neo-Communists of the Marx/Lenin tradition, and if they somehow gain total power and turn your or my country into a 21st Century Soviet Union, they don't want the citizens to have the ability to depose a Stalin to restore constitutional government. A rifle chambered for .50 BMG certainly wouldn't be the weapon of choice for a mass murderer (too heavy to be very portable, slow rate of fire in rounds per minute even in semiauto due to cartridge size, etc.), but it would be useful to patriots restoring constitutional government to the land against a despot's army. That is how the proposed .50 BMG ban shows their desires.
One more time.

Gun legislation in Canada is a feel good treat awarded to urbanites for voting Liberal. It does nothing as our gun laws have been good for decades. Neither party understands that if all the money that has been blown on gun registry and control was allocated to mental health and tighter border controls something might be achieved.

I usually vote NDP but it will be conservative next time. Last time was when Harper promised to end the long gun registry. Basically Trudeau just turned all left thinking gun owners in to conservative voters.
Originally Posted by Bows Up
Gun legislation in Canada is a feel good treat awarded to urbanites for voting Liberal.

That is it in a nut shell. Designed to garner future votes with legislation based on fear and ignorance.

He should have banned white vans as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_van_attack

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

very sad day in Canadian history....
Tell Mr. T to trot down here and take my “M” rifle. He won’t bother you anymore, I promise.
The turd is an evil authoritarian, who will only be happy when we are all under the boot of .gov
Anything producing over 10,000 Joules (7400 ft pounds or so) is now potentially prohibited. Thank god as we all know of the scourge of 460 and 416 Weatherby's that have been used to commit heinous crimes. I feel safer already. It's so random that this is a far worse attack on rights than the failed registry. So totally cynical that only a little entitled man child could think of it. Thank you Central and Eastern Canada.
I do believe that the Tugeye PM of ours is scared of one being used on him.
Hopefully one day he gets to go on a one way fishing trip
Do you anticipate the Canadian gun owners to respond
like the Kiwis? Simply ignore it and go on?

Personally, I know exactly which of my guns are paper chained to me.
And which aren't.
If push came to shove, a few registered ones would disappear (sold!)
along with all the ghosts.

And no, I have never, nor will I ever,
utter that stupid Gun Store Commando line about a boat.

It's been thrown around so much, that the 4 guys I know that actually
lost there rifles in an boat wreck, would be locked up for telling the truth.
Interesting question.

In the several years I've known Canadians, I've found some tough, hardy, fine people from Coast to Coast, especially in the rural areas, whether it be in the West or in the Eastern Maritimes.

Unfortunately the Maritimers, with their seasonal occupations, have been brainwashed into voting for the Liberal Govt due to the off season handouts that they receive.

As far as an uprising against their government - I doubt that'll happen; most Canadians tend to not think in terms of active dissent against their government.

The prevalent thought among the few hunters I've spoken to, is "doesn't affect me, I only have bolt actions & a pump shotgun".

There're exceptions to the above, but too few in numbers, and not predisposed to an armed struggle against the Govt, except for a couple small indigenous bands on a couple of occasions.

The fact that the voting population that decides an election outcome is concentrated in 3 large cities only means that in a matter of a few short years, there'll likely be very few or no legal firearms.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Do you anticipate the Canadian gun owners to respond
like the Kiwis? Simply ignore it and go on?

His Dad used the term " just watch me" when he imposed the war measures act during the FLQ crisis.
This guy is hit with the same hammer.
The real problem is he sidestepped our procedural Parliamentary steps- there was no debate.
This nonsense is dividing Canada, and enhancing western separation . Rural vs urban friction.
We can change this back to be more sensible .
Legislation has got to be enacted so rogue governments cannot end run around these things.
Westerners do not accept this.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by ofelas
Unfortunately the Maritimers, with their seasonal occupations, have been brainwashed into voting for the Liberal Govt due to the off season handouts that they receive.

Bang on observation about Maritimers. Makes me sick.
Let's be clear on a few things. It's not only westerners who oppose it. I live in Ontario and I oppose it. Easterners did not propose the legislation, and no Eastern MPs in Parliament voted for it. No one knows how many people actually oppose this because of the way it was done.

For US citizens and some Canadians as well, the government used what is called an Order in Council.

An OIC is an order issued by the Governor General on the advice and consent of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada (a group of personal consultants to the monarch of Canada on state and constitutional affairs)*. It is proposed by the governing Cabinet, or a committee of Cabinet and formally approved by the governor general. About a third of the OICs are legislative, forming part of the law and enforceable by the courts.

- Orders in Council, Parliament, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/order-in-council
* Privy Council, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Privy_Council_for_Canada

What this means, in simple terms, is legislation is drawn up, signed off by the Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada) and made into law. This is done without being discussed or voted on by the House of Commons.

Passed by OIC, none of the elected representatives in Canada is allowed to debate or question it. The Liberals did it this way to stop any discussion. They have a minority government and this legislation WOULD NOT HAVE PASSED in the House. It would have been political suicide to bring this bill into the House in the usual way. When the MPs voted, the government bill would have been defeated, a no-confidence vote raised and the government would have been defeated. That would have spawned an election.

Why was it done? Well, that will keep the law professors busy for a while. The short of it is, they can pass a law without any discussion, and it takes people's minds off COVID-19. To repeat, the Liberals have a minority govt, so proposing gun legislation would have been political suicide. Doing it this way makes it law with no discussion. I personally oppose using OIC is this fashion.

Firearms are a hot button issue. It distracts voters away from COVID onto firearms legislation. In my opinion, ALL bills, regardless of type, or the party that presents them, should be debated.

Trudeau says feds banning 1,500 types of 'military -style' guns - the order takes effect immediately
Little Commie Trudeau did it on May Day aka International Workers' Day. Canadians, since this was done through OIC, this is your Lexington and Concord, and I pray you can achieve freedom from the Crown without bloodshed.
If it wasn't for the GTA area and Quebec we wouldn't be in this mess right now.
We really do need a different political system as our's is broke
Steve;
Good afternoon to you sir, I very much appreciate your post and agree with most everything you've said.

Hopefully I never implied there was no opposition in the East to this bill or the way it was introduced.

I'm with you 100% on OIC - they should be banned in my view as they're much too easily abused.

Again, I hope and pray that this will wake up enough Canadians, not just gun owners exclusively, that the government is now seizing legally owned private property under the guise of it being "for the greater good"

As I posted on the CCFR face plant group - none of us NEEDS a power boat, motorcycle which exceeds 100km/hr, an RV or many other things we aspire to own. For that matter, not one of us NEEDS to have a standard of living higher than a typical resident of China or India and if it's "for the greater good" of the world climate, shouldn't we all capitulate "for the greater good".

Anyway Steve, I think on most issues you and I are on the same page or close enough we could have a rational and civil discussion over a coffee or Cariboo lager.

If you're ever out this way Steve, either one is on me.

All the best to you all back east sir.

Dwayne
What makes this doubley frustrating is we have seen the tyranny before and Canadians elected another Trudeau. I/ we work like crazy to get P.E.T out of office.
Canadians had better stand up and be counted . What is next? Perhaps they will seize something else for our own good
.Dangerous precedent.
My concern is, regardless of the issue, OICs can be used to circumvent the democratic process. This is the case here. Once it starts, you cannot close Pandora's box. I would add that left unchecked, any party can use this in the future.

For me at least, this isn't just about firearms. It's about abusing a parliamentary process.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
My concern is, regardless of the issue, OICs can be used to circumvent the democratic process. This is the case here. Once it starts, you cannot close Pandora's box. I would add that left unchecked, any party can use this in the future.

For me at least, this isn't just about firearms. It's about abusing a parliamentary process.

Steve;
You are spot on in your assessment of this issue sir.

It's a frightening precedent and should be made illegal in my view.

Best to you all sir.

Dwayne
My concern is, regardless of the issue, OICs can be used to circumvent the democratic process. This is the case here. Once it starts, you cannot close Pandora's box. I would add that left unchecked, any party can use this in the future. For me at least, this isn't just about firearms. It's about abusing a parliamentary process.

A number of us were discussing this (digitally) yesterday and we all had the same conclusion / concern. This is an abuse of the parliamentary process and once done will be followed in the future by the Liberals for other pet agendas and then there is the potential for abuse by other governing parties should an election change the results.

Further slime on this is the back room dealings with the NDP and Bloc that had to occur. Neither party is protesting this. Had this been debated in Parliament both parties would have had to step forward to show their intentions and faced backlash in some areas.

Unfortunately our MP is the only NDP elected in Alberta - Heather McPherson (useless and missing in action --- will not respond to email or letters). She has correspondence from a number of people in this riding that are pointed and questioning her position particularly to the the petition that is in place --- zero response. So you know a deal was made.

I am not sure what if anything will be done to get rid of Socks and his gang of incompetent thieves when he has support from the Maritimes, Quebec and urban Ontario. He just needs enough support to continue to broker deals with the Bloc and NDP who both are lapping at the edges of the throne of power for their little piece of the action. Just totally frustrating.
Originally Posted by comerade
His Dad used the term " just watch me" when he imposed the war measures act during the FLQ crisis.
This guy is hit with the same hammer.
The real problem is he sidestepped our procedural Parliamentary steps- there was no debate.
This nonsense is dividing Canada, and enhancing western separation . Rural vs urban friction.
We can change this back to be more sensible .
Legislation has got to be enacted so rogue governments cannot end run around these things.
Westerners do not accept this.

This.

This brazen action by Trudeau pushes Westerners even further toward the conclusion that our interests are continually trampled by "The East", and that separation is the only solution.

I also believe that the way this was handled by the current government is offensive to anyone with any sense of freedom and liberty, and is the action of an authoritarian and dictator.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
...This brazen action by Trudeau pushes Westerners even further toward the conclusion that our interests are continually trampled by "The East", and that separation is the only solution.

I also believe that the way this was handled by the current government is offensive to anyone with any sense of freedom and liberty, and is the action of an authoritarian and dictator.

This has nothing to do with West vs East. It is about a parliamentary abuse. All of Canada suffers because of this. The Liberals circumvented Parliament and have dishonoured the democratic process. It was done by a minority government using an opportunity to further their agenda without debate.
...This brazen action by Trudeau pushes Westerners even further toward the conclusion that our interests are continually trampled by "The East", and that separation is the only solution.

This has nothing to do with West vs East. It is about a parliamentary abuse. All of Canada suffers because of this. The Liberals circumvented Parliament and have dishonoured the democratic process. It was done by a minority government using an opportunity to further their agenda without debate.

Just being a devil's advocate --- So the abuse occurred and the Idiot in Charge is further dividing the country with his actions. So what can we the average voter do or say? Nothing.

This is a minority government propped up by two groups that make back room deals. Neither the NDP or Bloc want an election. It would take one of those two parties to agree that this is an abuse of parliamentary privilege and call for a vote of non-confidence. This is not going to happen especially over this. Totally frustrating. It will be interesting to see what powers they try to give municipal governments that would go around the power of the provinces. This would be a fire storm in Alberta. Not sure what would happen in Toronto with the Mayor that is there now.
There cannot be a vote of no-confidence because the government used an OIC. A no-confidence vote comes after a government proposes legislation, but the majority of MPs vote against it. A no-confidence vote is called, and if the majority votes "no-confidence", the government is dissolved and an election is called.

An OIC is an order issued by the Governor General on the advice and consent of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada (a group of personal consultants to the monarch of Canada on state and constitutional affairs)*. It is proposed by the governing Cabinet, or a committee of Cabinet and formally approved by the governor general. About a third of the OICs are legislative, forming part of the law and enforceable by the courts.

- Orders in Council, Parliament, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/order-in-council
* Privy Council, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Privy_Council_for_Canada

What this means, in simple terms, is legislation is drawn up, signed off by the Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada) and made into law. This is done without being discussed or voted on by the House of Commons.

Passed by OIC, none of the elected representatives in Canada are allowed to debate or question it. The Liberals did it this w.

I have argued for years that we do not have a democracy in Canada. This is just more proof.

Steve,

In this case I agree with everything you have said. But from the perspective of The West, the question “how did Trudeau and the Liberals get elected into power in the first place?” is the true root of the problem, since none of this would be happening if a conservative party had been elected instead. The answer to that question is that the interests of Manitoba westward were trampled by Ontario eastward, as usual.
Again, this has nothing to with who is in power or how they got there. The problem is that OICs in their present form still exist. Conservatives can use this same procedure to advance their own agenda. It is not democratic. It isn't East vs West, or who voted for who. Orders in council are a flawed methodology.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Bang on observation about Maritimers. Makes me sick.

No offence to you Super, your one of the few good ones. As a former maritimer who left 40 years ago and finally returned for a visit 40 years later I was shocked at how attitudes have changed there. The majority of small town redneck kids who I grew up and went to school with with have done a full 360. Some still have heads on their shoulders but the majority have succumbed to left wing social engineering hook line and sinker. It was depressingly hard to fathom. The Maritimes might as well be a bedroom community of Toronto. The brain drain people speak about that has happened there with so many of the best and brightest leaving for greener pastures in the west over the decades has certainly had an effect. It has become a cloistered federally dependent enclave who have no intention of ever being weaned from the tit of federal gov't handouts..
Again, this has nothing to with who is in power or how they got there. The problem is that OICs in their present form still exist. Conservatives can use this same procedure to advance their own agenda. It is not democratic. It isn't East vs West, or who voted for who. Orders in council are a flawed methodology.

Both issues are real problems, IMO.
I dont think you are understanding Jordan Smith correctly, I think he is saying he doesn't give a fook about an order in council, or how we got to where we are. It doe's matter who is in power, and because the east elects our federal government, and I think they have 2 MP's in the entire west...it is an east west thing.
I understood what he said. What he didn't understand, and you don't understand is that OIC, in their present form, can be misused by any government in power. If the Conservatives formed the government, they can misuse it.

In simple terms, legislation is drawn up, given to, and signed off by the Governor General. It is then law.

This can be done by any sitting government without being debated or voted on in the House of Commons. You cannot say that Conservatives wouldn't use it. They can, if they formed the government. This flaw has nothing to do with the West vs the East. It has everything to do with how OIC are drafted and used.

In this latest case, the Liberals are a minority government. They cannot ram legislation through because they do not have the majority of seats. Had they proposed gun ban legislation the regular way, the bill would be read in the HofC and debated in Parliament by all our MPs. The legislation would have been voted on by all MPs. If the bill did not pass, it could have resulted in a no-confidence vote. I believe that they did not want to take that chance.

If the majority of MPs vote no confidence, the sitting government may be dissolved and an election is called. Another option is a coalition of other parties. For example, the Cons and the NDP (or the Bloc) could be asked to form a government.

By using orders in council, the House of Commons is not consulted. There are no readings. There is no debate. Nothing. The government goes to the Governor General's office, telling him the legislation is necessary, has been discussed by the Privy Council and it needs to be law. The GG will then sign it off and it becomes law. Done.

If the Conservatives were the government, they could do it. If the NDP were the government, they could do it. The flaw is with OIC and the abbreviated process to get something made into law. There is no democratic process. There is no discussion. It is, in effect, dictatorial.

Whether the East elects the government or not, is not the problem here. OIC, as they are presently used, are the problem.
I understood what he said. What he didn't understand, and you don't understand is that OIC, in their present form, can be misused by any government in power. If the Conservatives formed the government, they can misuse it.

In simple terms, legislation is drawn up, given to, and signed off by the Governor General. It is then law.

This can be done by any sitting government without being debated or voted on in the House of Commons. You cannot say that Conservatives wouldn't use it. They can, if they formed the government. This flaw has nothing to do with the West vs the East. It has everything to do with how OIC are drafted and used.

In this latest case, the Liberals are a minority government. They cannot ram legislation through because they do not have the majority of seats. Had they proposed gun ban legislation the regular way, the bill would be read in the HofC and debated in Parliament by all our MPs. The legislation would have been voted on by all MPs. If the bill did not pass, it could have resulted in a no-confidence vote. I believe that they did not want to take that chance.

If the majority of MPs vote no confidence, the sitting government may be dissolved and an election is called. Another option is a coalition of other parties. For example, the Cons and the NDP (or the Bloc) could be asked to form a government.

By using orders in council, the House of Commons is not consulted. There are no readings. There is no debate. Nothing. The government goes to the Governor General's office, telling him the legislation is necessary, has been discussed by the Privy Council and it needs to be law. The GG will then sign it off and it becomes law. Done.

If the Conservatives were the government, they could do it. If the NDP were the government, they could do it. The flaw is with OIC and the abbreviated process to get something made into law. There is no democratic process. There is no discussion. It is, in effect, dictatorial.

Whether the East elects the government or not, is not the problem here. OIC, as they are presently used, are the problem.

Steve,

I understand the problems with using an OIC to get things done, and I said as much. But unfortunately you refuse to recognize that more than one problem exists. The method used by the Liberals to introduce new firearms law (using an OIC) is one problem, and the fact that they are even in a governing position to push authoritarian firearms law is the other.
I am talking only about OICs. Nothing else. Arguing more than one point in a discussion confuses most readers.

An OIC was used by a minority government to avoid debate and pass legislation.

East vs. West has nothing to do with the latest gun ban.
I am talking only about OICs. Nothing else. Arguing more than one point in a discussion confuses most readers.

An OIC was used by a minority government to avoid debate and pass legislation.

East vs. West has nothing to do with the latest gun ban.

Yes, the use of an OIC in this case is egregious.

You're free to talk about whatever you want, but fortunately the rest of us are also free to discuss any and all factors that we feel are involved with this latest gun ban, and that includes the fact that the East put Trudeau in a position to do so in the first place.
That's why you remain incapable of solving problems. You do not contribute. You only blame. You do not participate. You whine.

The fact that the Liberals used OICs in this manner is hardly the East's fault. Contribute, don't whine. Stay on message. Help.

Going forward, the various organizations will question the actions of the govt and attempt to affect change.

Lead. Follow. Or get out of the way.
So it was pushed through. I do wonder about where the support for this brazen move is rooted.
My guess it is in the eastern part of Canada and large urban centers. Firearm violence is not even in the discussion out this way- it is a non issue.
I will add , the tactical stuff just looks silly to me but the statistics explain alot- law abiding users are not the problem in Canada
The OIC option must stopped, or it will lead to more horrific laws,at least it is under examination now.
The federal Liberal party is not a national party, and Westerners have zero faith in it. This federal party seems to constantly undermine our strong held beliefs.
Sometimes I believe the continent should be split North to south, instead of east to west. Excluding the left coast.
That's why you remain incapable of solving problems. You do not contribute. You only blame. You do not participate. You whine.

The fact that the Liberals used OICs in this manner is hardly the East's fault. Contribute, don't whine. Stay on message. Help.

Going forward, the various organizations will question the actions of the govt and attempt to affect change.

Ok, OIC=bad.....
Originally Posted by 673
Ok, OIC=bad.....

Yes.
There cannot be a vote of no-confidence because the government used an OIC. A no-confidence vote comes after a government proposes legislation, but the majority of MPs vote against it. A no-confidence vote is called, and if the majority votes "no-confidence", the government is dissolved and an election is called.

You are correct on there cannot be a vote on the OIC but there can be a vote on other issues which the opposition could tie back to the OIC. This required participation and negotiation with other parties.

If the NDP and Bloc were against the OIC they could easily partner with the conservatives on a separate legislation item or bring forward their own motion and vote on non-confidence. Look at the Mark Norman review -- one Bloc member voted to block the review and it was dead.

The use of an OIC was a slimy move and now with the bought press -- Global / CBC the narrative is being spun the way the Liberals want.

I do agree that this is not East vs West but this initiative was driven out of the East and was Socks response to the shootings in Toronto where as an election promise he said there would be better gun control targeting the voters in the greater Ontario region. It is also standard Liberal fare to divide groups --- recreational target shooter bad / hunters you are fine ---- now start the fight internally within those groups with public perception against the scary target shooters.

I'm sure every criminal has taken the firearms course, has a Possession and Aquistion certificate and properly stores thier firearms before the new OIC. Trudeau senior devided the country. Trudeau junior is doing the same. Our flustration in the west is certainly justified.
I think it is a part of a culture war and this is an East vs West issue. As long as we have a people who will vote for the likes of Trudeau this sort of thing will happen. Best solution would be to separate from a group who run rough shod over us culturally and economically with zero regard for us. This decision like the closure of Oil will be supported...Why...we are not respected, by not just Trudeau but by the majority of our fellow citizens in Eastern Canada. I read the polls....unwinnable with the percentage of sheep ..i respect Steve Redgwell but he lives in a nest of vipers.

What a cowardly edit of willful ignorance. What happened to all these comments being directed toward the West in general? Now all of a sudden they are sneakily directed towards me personally. I started off with a respectful tone toward you, and as usual you are the arrogant, self-deluded source of conflict. You certainly are a Legend in your own mind, but nobody else’s. You are NOT some dictator that decides which issues are important and which ones are not. The OIC is a big problem, but to some of us there exists another problem that is even bigger, and has been a problem for far longer than Trudeau Jr’s use of the OIC: the abusive relationship between Eastern Canada and Western Canada.

It seems as though I have voted in every federal election since I came of legal age decades ago. In the last couple of months I have written a half-dozen handwritten letters to government officials and sent them by snail mail. In the past few weeks I have signed some official petitions on this topic. I am a paying member of the CCFR and CSSA. Alberta ALWAYS contributes more than it receives, and has fundamentally disproportionate representation in Ottawa. I have not blamed anyone in this thread. I have simply pointed out a common Western sentiment, and despite your cowardly ignorance of the issue, it is real and widespread in the West. This gun ban only aggravates a pre-existing and growing sentiment of enmity between the cultural values of the East and the West. A sentiment of separation. THAT is the bigger message here, because frankly you and other self-important, conceited easterners are what we want to separate from. The OIC problem is another issue, and that’ll be up to you to solve once Trudeau is the leader of your beloved Eastern Canada. Western Canada will be able to write legislation that is free from tyrannical backdoor instruments like the OIC, in the first place. Until that happens, I will continue to be vocal and fight against the Liberal agenda of disarming the citizenry, and particularly the use of undemocratic means (like the OIC) to accomplish that goal. But the momentum for separation is growing and is fuelled by things like gun bans, whether you like it or not.

It’s unproductive to go back and forth with you, now that you’ve chosen to turn this discussion between us into a personal conflict, so as usual you won’t be able to stop yourself from having the last word. Enjoy.
Originally Posted by saskfox
Trudeau senior devided the country. Trudeau junior is doing the same. Our flustration in the west is certainly justified.

It started with John A. McDonald, but Trudeau Sr. certainly aggravated the issue as nobody before him, and his son continues the tradition.
Originally Posted by North61
I think it is a part of a culture war and this is an East vs West issue. As long as we have a people who will vote for the likes of Trudeau this sort of thing will happen. Best solution would be to separate from a group who run rough shod over us culturally and economically with zero regard for us. This decision like the closure of Oil will be supported...Why...we are not respected, by not just Trudeau but by the majority of our fellow citizens in Eastern Canada. I read the polls....unwinnable with the percentage of sheep.

Yep
The solution to this is to elect a Conservative government. It WILL eventually happen. Once achieved, a Conservative PM can destroy Trudeau’s OIC with the stroke of a pen.
On the other hand, that would still be just a temporary solution as, just like in the U.S., governments tend to change every few years, so it’s a never ending flip flop of agendas.
IMO, the best long term solution for the West would be separation - from the Ontario/Manitoba border westward. Not only for our gun rights but for our oil production and generally conservative beliefs and way of life as well. Eastern gun owners and other right leaning Easterners would be welcome to move here - all others need not apply.
Originally Posted by Bobber257
The solution to this is to elect a Conservative government. It WILL eventually happen. Once achieved, a Conservative PM can destroy Trudeau’s OIC with the stroke of a pen.
On the other hand, that would still be just a temporary solution as, just like in the U.S., governments tend to change every few years, so it’s a never ending flip flop of agendas.
IMO, the best long term solution for the West would be separation - from the Ontario/Manitoba border westward. Not only for our gun rights but for our oil production and generally conservative beliefs and way of life as well. Eastern gun owners and other right leaning Easterners would be welcome to move here - all others need not apply.

Exactly.

Trudeau’s repeal of every possible piece of Conservative legislation that came from the Harper government just illustrates the flip-flop problem.
The United States has a much better system of government than we do. Once a party is elected with a majority government it's basically a dictatorship. The Senate is a joke. Separation would be great but likely will never happen.
There should be an Electoral College in Canada so as to guarantee adequate representation from all provinces, rather than have the results skewed in favor of the most populous cities.

I believe someone mentioned to me once that once the results from QC & ON are counted, it doesn't matter what other provinces voted for.
There should be an Electoral College in Canada so as to guarantee adequate representation from all provinces, rather than have the results skewed in favor of the most populous cities.

I believe someone mentioned to me once that once the results from QC & ON are counted, it doesn't matter what other provinces voted for.

That's true
Like England lording it over Scotland, Wales & Ireland.

Same [bleep], different century.
Originally Posted by saskfox

That's true

A U.S. style Electoral College could be a workable solution. However, we would first need to elect a majority Conservative government to initiate the idea. The Liberals would never agree to a concept that doesn’t give them ultimate goverence.

What a cowardly edit of willful ignorance. What happened to all these comments being directed toward the West in general? Now all of a sudden they are sneakily directed towards me personally. I started off with a respectful tone toward you, and as usual you are the arrogant, self-deluded source of conflict. You certainly are a Legend in your own mind, but nobody else’s. You are NOT some dictator that decides which issues are important and which ones are not. The OIC is a big problem, but to some of us there exists another problem that is even bigger, and has been a problem for far longer than Trudeau Jr’s use of the OIC: the abusive relationship between Eastern Canada and Western Canada.

It seems as though I have voted in every federal election since I came of legal age decades ago. In the last couple of months I have written a half-dozen handwritten letters to government officials and sent them by snail mail. In the past few weeks I have signed some official petitions on this topic. I am a paying member of the CCFR and CSSA. Alberta ALWAYS contributes more than it receives, and has fundamentally disproportionate representation in Ottawa. I have not blamed anyone in this thread. I have simply pointed out a common Western sentiment, and despite your cowardly ignorance of the issue, it is real and widespread in the West. This gun ban only aggravates a pre-existing and growing sentiment of enmity between the cultural values of the East and the West. A sentiment of separation. THAT is the bigger message here, because frankly you and other self-important, conceited easterners are what we want to separate from. The OIC problem is another issue, and that’ll be up to you to solve once Trudeau is the leader of your beloved Eastern Canada. Western Canada will be able to write legislation that is free from tyrannical backdoor instruments like the OIC, in the first place. Until that happens, I will continue to be vocal and fight against the Liberal agenda of disarming the citizenry, and particularly the use of undemocratic means (like the OIC) to accomplish that goal. But the momentum for separation is growing and is fuelled by things like gun bans, whether you like it or not.

It’s unproductive to go back and forth with you, now that you’ve chosen to turn this discussion between us into a personal conflict, so as usual you won’t be able to stop yourself from having the last word. Enjoy.

Well said and this totally the fault of the east voting for this agenda.
http://angusreid.org/assault-weapons-ban/

"Endorsement for the change transcends political and regional divides, although a slight majority of Canada’s current gun owners oppose it (55%)."

I find it troubling that 45% of current firearm owners are in support of the May 1 ban.

Goes back to an earlier post I made in this thread, where some hunters I conversed with couldn't care less, as they didn't have any of the firearms in the list.

http://angusreid.org/assault-weapons-ban/

"Endorsement for the change transcends political and regional divides, although a slight majority of Canada’s current gun owners oppose it (55%)."

I find it troubling that 45% of current firearm owners are in support of the May 1 ban.

Goes back to an earlier post I made in this thread, where some hunters I conversed with couldn't care less, as they didn't have any of the firearms in the list.

I find this disturbing. Then when you think about it they are probably the same people who go out and shoot bottles and leave garbage around making themselves look like shooters.
I have calmed down somewhat. Sorry to my Eastern brothers for my earlier post. It isn't your fault how your neighbors voted just as is it isn't my fault how mine did and so I think Western Separatism will never fly. I can't stand Trudeau or his Daddy and I am appalled that we would elect such a man. However, my own neighbors voted for him here in the Yukon and we have the hilariously inept Larry Bagnell as our "representative". If there is an answer it will be through staying calm and building our coalition. Turning on one another will not help. A place to start might be in convincing our own 45% that the Order In Council ban is antidemocratic and bodes ill for all of us whether we are hurt by this particular list or not.

For myself I will help work to ensure that our elected "REP" Larry get's defeated on this one. The next List could be even worse if there is no cost to this one. Trudeau worked a bit cleverly to create a wedge issue withboth the appearance of action for Leftists and enough softening measures to try and divide us. Lets make sure that doesn't happen. I regret Lumping the East together, It isn't true. We all have ideological brothers and sisters in every part of the country.
Liberals Goals are TOTAL Gun Confiscation. Next will be ALL Mandatory Vaccines. There will be no need for a Gas Chamber.You will get a supposedly safe Vaccine that will end your life.
Hey guys, I'm 170km from the Manitoba border, can I join you guys !

Actually, it would make great sense for Manitoba to "inherit" Northwest Ontario.

We are so far distant, both geographically & politically, from Southern Ontario.

Please !
Fair exchange. NW ON to MB in exchange for Loony Bin Winterpeg transplanted to their ideological GTA kindred.
Originally Posted by North61
I have calmed down somewhat. Sorry to my Eastern brothers for my earlier post. It isn't your fault how your neighbors voted just as is it isn't my fault how mine did and so I think Western Separatism will never fly. I can't stand Trudeau or his Daddy and I am appalled that we would elect such a man. However, my own neighbors voted for him here in the Yukon and we have the hilariously inept Larry Bagnell as our "representative". If there is an answer it will be through staying calm and building our coalition. Turning on one another will not help. A place to start might be in convincing our own 45% that the Order In Council ban is antidemocratic and bodes ill for all of us whether we are hurt by this particular list or not.

For myself I will help work to ensure that our elected "REP" Larry get's defeated on this one. The next List could be even worse if there is no cost to this one. Trudeau worked a bit cleverly to create a wedge issue withboth the appearance of action for Leftists and enough softening measures to try and divide us. Lets make sure that doesn't happen. I regret Lumping the East together, It isn't true. We all have ideological brothers and sisters in every part of the country.

As was mentioned early on in this thread, like-minded people are welcome to move west. But the numbers don't lie. Of course not every individual that lives east of Manitoba is a leftist, gun-banning Liberal supporter, but the generalization is true that there exists a broad-based geographical divide of cultural values. Just look at the map of the previous federal election results. To clarify the point we can look at a more dramatic example: we also have ideological brothers and sisters in the Middle East, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a generalized difference in the cultural values of the two locations. Ultimately, there are people with similar ideologies in all locations on the globe, but I think that division of governance and national separation works best when divided by ideological and cultural values on a general scale.
https://bigleaguepolitics.com/how-dumb-canada-bans-black-rifle-coffee-company-in-gun-ban/

While I’m not that familiar with the details of your political struggles, about 95% of what has been said here in this thread is also true of us just south of all of you.

What “liberalism” results in politically is, paradoxically, contrary to the usual, common meaning of the word. Liberals aren’t content to just live their lives as defined by their world view; they inevitably seek to impose it on those who aren’t “liberal”. The most extreme and mediocre liberals, when opportunity knocks (the Corona pandemic), become enthralled with power and control — channeling fascism — like Michigan’s governor Whitmer.

They see people as a collective to be dictated to and controlled which calls for expansive government, regulations and policies; they do not see the masses as individuals with inherent rights as true conservatism does. Liberals always make democracies, republics, or any form of representative government less so.

To my point, yes, the electoral college was envisioned by our framers (for a republic form of government) to give the states an equitable voice to the election of the president and vice-president of the US. While Canadian conservatives might argue for your own, true to form, many liberals here would like to abolish ours for the very reason it was formed — an equitable voice.

I love the expansive beauty of your nation, and of course, the outdoor exploits possible; I can’t envision a better nation to be neighbors with. I wish the wind at your back in all your efforts to retain your rights and freedoms.

My apologies for landing in a Canadian thread about Canadian problems and bringing my soapbox over.
Hey guys, I'm 170km from the Manitoba border, can I join you guys !

Moving the Ontario border back to about Nipigon is what I've heard from so many people between Kenora and T Bay. Just think, another open water shipping port for grain and oil.
This I don’t think is an east-west thing-or else the west starts along ways east of Nipigon.
What it is —is an Urban-Rural divide
Originally Posted by kkahmann
This I don’t think is an east-west thing-or else the west starts along ways east of Nipigon.
What it is —is an Urban-Rural divide

Which shows how shallow minded Urban dwellers are, FFS, its a big country with alot of remote area's that are not made of concrete and steel.
where's Lowell Green when you need 'im
© 24hourcampfire