Home
Posted By: northern_dave Pike need lovin too... - 01/19/10
Northern pike rarely get the following they deserve, I love northerns, love fishing them & I love eating them.

who else is a closet piker?

where is the tasty fish in this photo?

I see it!!

[Linked Image]

campfire member rooster7's wife with a nice one.

[Linked Image]

my nephew

[Linked Image]

my oldest boy a year ago

[Linked Image]

me & my boy

[Linked Image]

roosters wife again

[Linked Image]

rooster

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/PersonalPics085.jpg[/img]

Nephew in BWCA 42-ish if i remember right.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/TurtlelakeNorthern2008.jpg[/img]

another pike from years back, BWCA also 40+, we ate it. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

that is one fish cooking over that fire, 4 of us couldn't quite finish it.

[Linked Image]

here's the skull of a pike we found up on the lake where we ate that 40+ pike (that's why we ate her, she was a baby compared to what the lake holds)

[Linked Image]

me & the boy a few years back

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/19/10
Originally Posted by northern_dave
here's the skull of a pike we found up on the lake where we ate that 40+ pike (that's why we ate her, she was a baby compared to what the lake holds)

[Linked Image]

Thats SCARY!!!! eek

Ingwe
More Pics!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And Pike on a Fly!

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Aint it??

That's my boot next to it.

The fish skull was up at a campsite, leading me to believe that some beastly pack of humans ate the fish.

They ate it.

[bleep] thing had to be pushing 50 inches!!

Sweet! open water where they can rip that line through the water & really take you for a ride!!
Biggest I ever landed & got a measurement on was 42 1/2"

Ice fishing, i released it.

I got one one the same winter that I don't even like to talk about because everybody but the guy that was with me wouldn't believe it.

We were fishing 10 inch holes that we drilled through over 36" of ice. I ran to the hole with no gaf and not as much as a leather glove. Bare hands I hauled it in (tip up) hand over hand, took for ever.

I got him in the hole, his head came up in the hole and it was just a huge toothy skull that filled that 10" hole, I mean it was tight!

No gaf, no glove (I would have stuffed my hand in his mouth with a glove) there was nothing we could do, I tried to haul him out with the line.

it broke.

We stood over that hole looking at that wide open mouth filled with needle sharp teeth that would have scalped my hand to the bones...

She thrashed in the hole for a few seconds then she was gone.

I know that fish was 4'

never seen anything like it, but that dried skull photo by my boot reminds me of that one that got away.

I havent measured or weighed alot of them, 'specially the big ones, cause they are, as you know, the breeding females, and old, so I dont monkey with them too long..

But I did keep one of my biggest...oddly also a 42.5 incher...on that one we were fishing a small lake in Sask. while on a bear hunt. The guides had said there was nothing but little ones in there, but I kept catching little 3 pounders with tooth marks on them......lo and behold, up comes my 18 pounder...no slot there so I killed it to show the guides...and they had it mounted for the cabin grin

Never had the big one get away...that I know of...but my usual lure set-up is a 12 inch leader, a six inch mepps with a six inch plastic worm behind it, and I can't tell you how many times one has taken it from behind, engulfed the whole two foot long combo, and cut the line instantly.... frown

I got pizzed one day at this and put on a 30" leader, same thing happened!! shocked

Ingwe
Posted By: SSB Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/19/10
Them are some dandy pike there guys! I agree cold water pike make excellent table fare....just don't disturb that green bile duct near the back of the gills. We catch some good ones here on Saginaw Bay while walleye fishing....but as table fare...out of 70+ degree water...they are wanting.

Scott
Most of my pike fishing has been at catch and release lakes ( makes for stupendous fishing) but my favorite place allows you one pike per week, to cook and eat, under 6 lbs. There have been times when it was hard to catch that one...everything else was bigger.... grin

Ingwe
Posted By: SSB Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/19/10
Ingwe, do you have pike in Montana?
Posted By: Stemshot Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/19/10
I love to fish for Pike. I plan on trying to get one better than 48 inches this year in my Kayak. I may not be able to land it but I plan on having it pull me around the lake for a while.
Originally Posted by ingwe
, and I can't tell you how many times one has taken it from behind, engulfed the whole two foot long combo, and cut the line instantly.... frown

I got pizzed one day at this and put on a 30" leader, same thing happened!! shocked

Ingwe

yep, I've had them inhale a lure & it misses the throat & slips right out one of the gills & ended up setting the hook into there side with the line threaded through the gill & out the mouth.

Originally Posted by SSB
Ingwe, do you have pike in Montana?

Sorry I didnt respond last night...turned in a bit early...yes we have pike! A number of lakes have them here, but the best by far is Ft. Peck...Huge lake up north...where you can actually expect the 15-20 pounders...
We usually fish for pike in Saskatchewan or our favorite lake is in Alberta....one week fishing up there will get you more pike than you can get in the states in a decade...hundred fish days are not uncommon.... grin

Ingwe
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/19/10
[bleep] slimy bastards.....rarely target them but catch more than a few when im after walleyes....prefer eating walleyes but if i can fillet the northern within an hour or two of catching them ill eat them, especially on the grill.....dont care for the ones that spent an entire day in the livewell though.....

they are fun to catch, one of my funnest days fishing was when a bunch of carp moved into our walleye hole on the river and we gave up after loosing 2 poles to 20 pound plus mud suckers when we werent ready for them......discovered a drainage ditch near by and happened to have our ultralight poles we used for farm pond bass and not much else....the ditch was lined pretty well with cattails and loaded with 8-12 inch snot rockets.....spent 5 hours catching and releasing the lil bastards on the lite equipment.....was an absolute blast.....
Posted By: tomk Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/19/10
will take a cold water Piker over Walleye anyday.

Piking is a grin--especially with kids in a boat and one get loose...:)
I'm all about the "Pickerel", as the Canucks call them. Rather catch and eat a northern than all the walleye in the world. On a trip to Michigan when I was about 10, I caught a 12 pound walleye. Problem was, until he got within view, I thought I had hooked a snag. I have never had that problem with Pike. smirk
Oh, and those are some dandy looking Pike there fellas! I'm gonna have to make a trip up to Canada this summer, methinks!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
Rattler I always go ultralight on the pike...even the big ones in the pics..the biggest was 17 something IIRC and she was caught on a 4'9" Fenwick with a Shimano 500 and #10 Fireline...

The fireline doesnt stretch so enables me to set the hook on the buggers, then its Rodeo Time!

I did find however that after about 600 pike over five pounds, its time to can the little Shimano... grin

Ingwe
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I'm all about the "Pickerel", as the Canucks call them. Rather catch and eat a northern than all the walleye in the world. On a trip to Michigan when I was about 10, I caught a 12 pound walleye. Problem was, until he got within view, I thought I had hooked a snag. I have never had that problem with Pike. smirk

i dont catch them for the fight, i catch them for the table.....if i wanted to pick a fight with something i would spend my summers snagging 30-120 pound paddlefish out of the river, even when yah dont catch one you get a workout.....
Posted By: Killzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
Did somebody say pike?......

30lbs/48"
[Linked Image]

26lbs/45.5"
[Linked Image]

23lbs/42"
[Linked Image]

22lbs/43"
[Linked Image]

21lbs/41"
[Linked Image]

All C&R......I looove pikin'! Don't get me started! LOL
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
no chit that last one is 21 pounds? damn near had one about that big in the boat this summer......my netter wasnt quick enough though and he cut through my line at the last second.....woulda loved to see how my german shorthair would have reacted to it getting in the boat....he was having fun with the 1 and 2 pound walleyes trying to help but wanted no part of the 8 pound walleye.....the 20ish pound snot rocket in the bottom of the boat woulda been hilarious grin
Awesome!!!!

You're started...

Keep goin'

Thats why we head north of the Border for our pike fishing! laugh

Ingwe
Posted By: tomk Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
that 30# monster looks like lunch could be a 15# dish....

maybe that deer hunting trip can wait another year...:)
Funny thing about this one is I caught it the same day i caught the 30#...my two biggest pike on the same day! LOL

27lb/46.5"
[Linked Image]

a bunch of 20somethings....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/kencudmore/pike/25lb.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/kencudmore/pike/41inchfalcon.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Teal Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
My largest is 37.5 inches - caught it when I was 13 - towed me, my dad and brother 1/2 across the lake in the canoe.

We have this little lake in the UP we go to - catch 125 or so ax handles a day. You will literally wear the paint off your daredevil.

Gonna take my runt this summer - should be interesting.
Killzone, you ran into a flock of big ones that day?

At least that's what they tell me...

We were late to ice out this past year on the big lake--am trying to make it up this year
Killzone, are you using tip ups on those ice Jacks?

My cousin used to run fly line on his tip ups, he got some good stretch out of it & no tangle trouble. I still run dacron or some kind of braided nylon.

Live sucker minnows for the most part.

Those are some amazing fish you've caught!

I've always said I'll hold out for at least a 45" before I run to the taxidermist with one. 42.5 is my best to date.

Lake of the woods, Minnesota side.

Thanks Dave.

Yep all on tip-ups. I usually run a heavy braid of somekind (not superbraid!) because it's easy to handline and lately I've been switching over to the plastic coated stuff....never tangles and even easier to grip. I also run about a 3 foot piece of 40lb mono between the main line and quickstrike. I only use the biggest deadbaits I can catch/buy...usually about a 10" tulibee or herring. Some of those pike in the pics are from LOTW aswell, just abit north of you.
Pretty sweeet KZ..... grin

I'm jealous...starting now!

Ingwe
Cool.

This is NOT my picture but I like it anyways. It's from buffalo bay LOTW.

[Linked Image]

We used to make big livewells like that sometimes when we got a bunch of guys together tip up fishing.

After losing my biggest pike in the hole with no glove & no gaff, (line broke at the knot to the quick strike)

I started making my own quickstrike rigs with 36" steel leaders.

grin

Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
Don't know how I missed this thread...man I love me some pikers.

Chippewa Flowage Piker 32", caught last summer
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Lake Dubay northern 36 or 38" can't remember, last spring

Chippewa Flowage, 42" Tiger Musky, part norhtern. grin
'nother one. Not a northen, but close. smile

Northern WI muskie, 40"
Never caught a Musky...gotta update my Bucket List!! grin

Pretty Cool Tom, cool

Ingwe

Posted By: Whelenman Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJgRhQ

Can't catch fish.
Couldn't get that link up...something wonky on Youtube..

any suggestion??

ingwe
Posted By: tipmover Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
Great thread Dave.
Tip up..nice to see you. Haven't been around Ice Shanty lately?
Gators are what gets me fired up!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: tipmover Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/20/10
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
At least that one-if not all- pics look a little Ft.Peck-ish..

Don't make me wanna go Ice Fishing!! eek

Cool Snot Rockets cool

Ingwe
Canadian Pike don't count. grin

Holy smokes, nice ones ya got there!
Never caught a Musky...gotta update my Bucket List!! grin

Pretty Cool Tom, cool

Ingwe

It took me a long time to get one of those suckers, now I get a few a year. My biggest I don't have a pic of, caught it on the WI River durring a Walleye tournament. 46" 26#, 8lb fireline, w/ no leader. That was fun. Thankfully it was cold out, and the fish made it. I probably would have kept it if the season was open.
My kid tied into 12# of pike out of Lake MI at five years old and has been a fanatic piker ever since. Emailed the pics at college and its weighing heavily on him...:)

appreciate it gents.
Great fish everyone!!

I spotted a few lamprey scar I think??

That 36-38" pic I have has a scar from something on it too. Don't know what it is. Dpole says he knows, but wouldn't tell me.

She was an old sucker, lots of scars and not many teeth.

Man some of the pike you guys are getting through the gets me fired up! Keep the pics coming guys.
Posted By: Killzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
Originally Posted by tipmover
Tip up..nice to see you. Haven't been around Ice Shanty lately?

Troll?!?! LOL
Son's a Piker too.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
Canadian pike DO count!!!

More Nice ones!!!

Ingwe
Nice!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
Man those are some beauties Killzone!
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
to prove in all my beotching we do catch and keep some of the slimy bastards.......the wife with an eating sized one
[Linked Image]

buddy dealing with one of the lil bastards when were trying to catch walleye in a tournament
[Linked Image]
I'm diggin' the Yar-Craft dude....nice boats. Made in the town I live in.

That would be my second choice for a glass boat. Probably first now that Ranger is sold and will probably go down the tubes.
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
yeah but its an old one.....takes us twice as long to get around the lake as the guys in newer ones......course at this point its just costing my buddy fuel and upkeep and isnt a big payment every month grin some of those new boats are worth more than my house crazy
Posted By: tomk Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
Yar.

Running a Yar in Lake Superior...when I sneak out of the bay--I like it. Haven't seen many of then in MI but don't get out much
Posted By: BwanaND Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
Man are you guys making me eight shades of green with jealousy!

While growing up my grandfather and I used to ice fish every weekend and northerns were often the fish of choice. Can recall having to wear bandaids on my little fingers of each hand most of the winter because of the line burns caused by the dacron line slicing the skin when the fight was on.

I REALLY need to get my kids into a mess of those toothy critters this spring. Nothing more fun to catch then a hard fighting northern!

Northern Dave: Have to say I like your son's shirt in the ice house post. Go Bison!
Boy I tell ya, there aren't too many cuts & scratches that heel slower than those from northern teeth.

When I was younger, tougher(dumber) I donated more than my share of skin to then toothy bazdards. grin

Originally Posted by tomk
Yar.

Running a Yar in Lake Superior...when I sneak out of the bay--I like it. Haven't seen many of then in MI but don't get out much

Really, thats where they were made befor, I think.

I like them a lot. Big, deep boats. A new walleye 209 or 219 will set you back 45-50K though. crazy

So far, they have the best fishing layout of any tiller I've seen yet. I really, really like the 1785 tiller. I wouldn't have to do a thing to that boat, but add my poles and hit the lake.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
Yep, my first real trip for Pike only resulted in me coming home with eight out of ten fingers bandaged... shocked

I have since learned the merits of Baker Hook-Outs and a host of other contraptions....

Also, I only broke one rod on the last trip! laugh

Ingwe
Posted By: tomk Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/21/10
Yar Tom, it beats me where it was made. I think mine is a 1989 and it has the console like Rattler's. I think it is 19'. It has been used...

More than that I can't tell you. It handles rough water better than I want to be out there, and the 90hp on the back works for pulling the kids on the wakeboard. That's nuts...but they will come to camp for it...:)

Got a board lashed across the back holding downriggers for trouts...
The kid in action! LOL

[Linked Image]
smile

Lovin' it.
Posted By: SSB Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/22/10
Fishing for toothy critters - Keep a bottle of peroxide on the boat and wash hands with it a couple of times a day. I keep it handy for the salmon and walleye charters and while I'm always skinned up...I'm usually not swollen too bad.

Man these are some great Pike Photos!!!
Yeah no kidding, this shaped up to be quite the pike showcase, really awesome fish here!! I love it!

Posted By: Killzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/22/10
I raised a pikin' machine! LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/22/10
There are much worse things a kid could do....I'd say you raised him right!
Posted By: bigbrie Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/30/10
[Linked Image] Here's one I hooked 3 seperate times on a jig pole before i finnely lannded it
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pike need lovin too... - 01/31/10
Pike attack...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTVX7uGMXGA

We fish Alexander Lake quite a bit with OlBlue... Some years ago ADF&G caught, weighed, tagged, and released a pike almost 10# heavier than the 50+ year old World record (49#).
art
Originally Posted by tomk
Yar Tom, it beats me where it was made. I think mine is a 1989 and it has the console like Rattler's. I think it is 19'. It has been used...

More than that I can't tell you. It handles rough water better than I want to be out there, and the 90hp on the back works for pulling the kids on the wakeboard. That's nuts...but they will come to camp for it...:)

Got a board lashed across the back holding downriggers for trouts...

Dam, just found this thread. Great pictures everyone.

TomK..the original Yar Crafts were made in the UP of MI. The company changed hands several times and they're now made here in WI. I've been real impressed with the ones that I've seen.
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/02/10
The new Yar-craft's are damn fine boats. I have no experience with the older ones, but from what I understand, they are too.

The 186 TFX is on the wish list for next time.
Posted By: tipmover Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/03/10
Stumbled into a nice one Friday afternoon.
43" 20lb -12oz.
[Linked Image]

The ice is good too! lol
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/04/10
Sweet!...Ft. Peck??

Ingwe
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/04/10
When I was in high school, we were fishing a backwater by the Little Sioux dam at Linn Grove. A friend hooked a northern and it was tangled in the willows at the edge of the water. As I said, we were in high school, so our brains were not yet fully developed. I swooped in and stuck my thumb in its mouth to yank it out of the willows. I did get it to shore. Thumb looked like I had pushed it down on one of those pin things that they use to make cut flower arrangements stand up.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/04/10
Some fantastic fish there, guys! Best that I've managed is a 42". I will eat them right along with walleye any day. Wife even has no preference once the y-bones are taken out. Esox (northerns and muskies) have provided my son, my best friend, and me some wonderful memories. A day spent on Shoepac a few years ago was one of those days that only comes along once.
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/04/10
Dang fine northern. Good work.
[Linked Image]

After seeing all the pics of the water wuffs I thought I'd add my prize to the party. I'm pretty much totally a fly fisherman and love to fly fish for pike/muskie and or anything that moves.

This is a 46" muskie I caught in Minnesota fall of 07 with my 9' 9 weight Sage a rod that Ingwe knows all too well....grin

Dober
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/04/10
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

This is a 46" muskie I caught in Minnesota fall of 07 with my 9' 9 weight Sage a rod that Ingwe knows all too well....grin

Dober

Yep. But I never caught a Muskie on it... frown just pike....

But it reminds me Mark, got a buttload of pike flies tied up...might hafta slip you a few.... wink

Ingwe
I'd be more than glad to take some of those off you hands there Ingwe. For me fly fishing for pike/muskie is the living end!

Can't stomach going back to spinning and or heavy tackle to fish for them anymore, just too much like cheating to do it that way...grin

Not this summer (markets too tight) but perhaps next you and I and Juan should take a road trip north with 9 weights in hand?

Dober
Almost forgot to mention but last spring while back in Minne visiting the fam I did some fly fishing for crappies with my 5 wt. First night out and the last cast I hooked into a 36" pike, lets just say I made two phone calls during the sporty encounter..grin

I finally got him in and let him go back to his home a bit more tired than he was earlier in the day.

Dober
Posted By: Killzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/04/10

Not this summer (markets too tight) but perhaps next you and I and Juan should take a road trip north with 9 weights in hand?

Dober

Guys....I could put you allover 40" pike if you could put me on a mulie/antelope.
What part of Manitoba do you live in and have you ever fly fished for pike? Also is it safe to assume that you try to release most of the big fish you catch?

And last question, what do you normally find a 40" pike to weigh?

Thx
Dober
I live in Winnipeg but fish for summertime pike far north of here. I don't fly fish at all but my buddy is hardcore (and very very good). He's also the head guide at Utik Lake (google it). I and everyone in my boat releases EVERY big fish caught and I would expect the same from you. Right now (March) a 40 will be pushing 20 lbs and but in mid/late summer only 18 lbs or so. As luck would have it I'm leaving in a couple hours for 3 days of piking! LOL

Here's a few pics from a 2 day trip last August. We caught probably a dozen or so between 38" - 43"....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wowsa that is some pike that guy caught on his fly rod! Gotta get you hooked on doing it with a fly rod, once you've done it your other fishing rods will not see any game time dats for sure!!

I'll take a look at the Utik Lake when I get a second. Glad to hear you let em all go back to grow up.. cool

Kind of figured a 40" would go 17 to 18 during the summer, wonderful fish and a refreshing thread!

Dober
Hey I just googled Utik lake and several lodges came up, which one does the fly fisherman guide for?

Thx
Dober
He catches lots like that LOL. You should see the pigs he pulls outta Utik! You'll see his picture allover the website. There is only one lodge on Utik, it's called North Haven I think? I've done the fly fishing thing, not my cup of tea but I almost think that's cheating after watching my buddy tease the gators out of cabbage beds with the big maraboo thingys he ties! LOL

you have a pm.
Thx

Dober
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/04/10
You guys are killin' me. I could only dream of catching pike like that.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/05/10

Dober

Dober...we are planning a trip up in 2011, Ill drop you a line...so to speak...with particulars if you are interested...my fave lodge, Catch-n-release only,100 fish days are common..
One day during the week we each keep a little one and it is cooked up shore lunch style...

[Linked Image]

Shari with Supper!! laugh

Also got my " personal best" up there, with a fly...55 casts....55 pike! laugh

Ingwe
Definately keep me in the loop, is this a guys deal or a guys and galz deal?

55 with 55 has got to be a world record!

Dober
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/05/10
I'd be more than glad to take some of those off you hands there Ingwe. For me fly fishing for pike/muskie is the living end!

Can't stomach going back to spinning and or heavy tackle to fish for them anymore, just too much like cheating to do it that way...grin

Dober

Actually, Dober, it's more like cheating to fish for them with fly tackle. They are suckers for big flies, bugs and poppers! smile

Ted
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/05/10
Definately keep me in the loop, is this a guys deal or a guys and galz deal?

55 with 55 has got to be a world record!

Dober

Mark, its a guys/gals deal....

I could do a lot of things without Ingwewife getting upset, but if I went pike fishing without her, she would "lawyer-up" while I was gone! shocked

I'll tell you about it tween now and then but its a sweet deal, fly in,moderately priced, and the new owners are the old care-takers...who really know how to run an outfit like this...

Its where I took your 9 wt....to break it in.... grin

Ingwe
Mark, did you ever hook into that one off the dock at your folks place? You talked about it once before, you even had a name for that big girl I think?

Great pictures guys! We are getting very close to our late ice pike run up on lake of the woods.

Nope never did Dave, fact is last summer there were hardly any fish at all around there dock? Weird....even the sunnies had gone by by..?

Dober
that's strange, especially for the panfish. must be something changed with the plant life?

Well fellers, i'm tuning in plans for a big pike hunt on Lake of the woods MN next weekend.

I have the spot picked out, oh it's gonna be a good one. bound to be 10 or a dozen of us out there if not more. 2 lines each, there will be some fish pictures for sure.

Just talked to my step bro who fished this spot just this week. Biggest they caught was a 46"

Forty six freeking inches of pike, that's a nasty beast to be fighting on a piece of string hand over hand standing over a hole in the ice.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/06/10
ND, heres my first big one on Ultralight ( #6 line...4'6" rod) back in about 1992...this one went 42inches..

[Linked Image]

Have fun at Lake-o-da-woods!!! grin

Ingwe
I can't find the picture I am looking for of my 42 1/2" but i did find this lil guy while searching for the other pic.

[Linked Image]
Here's one of me & my oldest boy, this is the fish pictured at the top of this thread that's being cleaned on the bottom of the canoe.

must have been around 2003?

[Linked Image]
Great pics of feesh guys!

Dave have you done much time in the Boundry waters?

Dober
As much as I can. I had to cancel a trip last summer because of work. There were some really bumbed out kids because of it.

This year I plan on taking a group of 6 kids into BWCA. They are holding me to it this year and it should work just fine as my work schedule is pretty clear this summer.

How bout you Mark? get in there much?

Never have, dad used to go there a lot when he was younger but I've never been. A fella I used to work with has a motel in Ely and another bud goes up there every year with his kids but poor me has never been.

It's on my list though...grin

Wanna do LOTW badly!

Dober
if you could swing it i could put you on some good pike fishing anytime now, from now till the ice goes to hell it should be pretty good.

(LOTW)

As far as BWCA, you've see lots of beautiful country. It's just neat to have something as pretty as the BWCA right here in MN that's all.

What about ice out Dave (LOTW) how is it and when do the pike spawn there?

Also how far is Roseau from LOTW, gotta be close right?

Dober
Bout 20 miles.

Ice out is fun as the northerns are coming back into the lake & they are hungry. But they are also beat to hell & skinny like an empty tube sock. grin

Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/07/10

Just talked to my step bro who fished this spot just this week. Biggest they caught was a 46"

Holy schit!
Posted By: Killzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/09/10
Hit the ice aswell this past weekend. Son and I got a half dozen over 36", this 42 1/2" being the biggest....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/09/10
Nice fish!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/09/10
As long as this thread is going, I'm in for more snot rocket pics!

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
I called my step brother & had him txt me this phone pic of the 46 incher they got last week, here it is.

I don't know this guy but he was fishin with my step bro.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/10/10
What's the weight on that thing?

Look at the head on that sucker.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/10/10
'Nother pike pic...Ingwewife and Ingwecousin..

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Originally Posted by tzone
What's the weight on that thing?

Look at the head on that sucker.

Yeha that's the kind of pike/muskie I like, meaning the ones big enough to score there head just like a bruins... grin

Dober
I'll ask him if they got a weight on it.

Hey Mark, here's a Pelican Lake Muskie for ya.

[Linked Image]
I look at all these "snot rockets" and I start having flashbacks of taking out Y-bones. wink

ddj
Kool pic Dave, Pelican Lake is gorgeous country!

And remind me what's the best way to get the Y bones out?

Dober
Posted By: Uncle_Dusty Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/11/10
dave it's in my freezer. grin dusty
oh that one isn't at the taxidermist yet huh?

Dober, my fav way to take the Y bones out is to pluck em after the fish is cooked grin

I really never understood what the big deal was with them. If you use your fork to split a fillet at the mid point between the top of the back & the belly you expose all the Y bone ends & you simply grab them & pull em out. You can grab many at a time & strip that fillet of it's bones in a matter of seconds.

Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/11/10
You can grab many at a time & strip that fillet of it's bones in a matter of seconds.

Yep. WAY eaiser than trying to fiddle #$%# with them while filleting.
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/11/10

Like Pellican lake by Orr? or one of the 100 other Pelican Lakes in MN.
I'm talking about the one by Pelican Rapids.

Dober
Yep, You know the place Dober, south of Cormorant.

Dober

If you cut just below the lateral line and then angle up above the Y-bones toward the dorsal part of the northern, you can pull the Y-bones out like a zipper. It basically makes 2 fantastic fish sticks!!!

ddj
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/12/10
I have stood there watching Canadians filet northern half a dozen times for shore lunch, they get nice filets and no bones... I am apparently a slow learner cause I never got the hang of it...
I'm not much of a fish eater so don't try that often....and I must say ( now....get your beer and popcorn ready!!!) that I consider fresh caught northerns every bit the equal of walleyes as table fare....

Runnin for cover.... eek

Another pic before I go!

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
If Northerns come from cold clear water, they are ALMOST as good as walleye. Hard to beat a fresh caught walleye. wink

ddj
"Taste Better..."

"Less filling.."

grin grin

Ingwe
Northern is good eating.

Time for more snot rocket pics!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/12/10
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Dober

If you cut just below the lateral line and then angle up above the Y-bones toward the dorsal part of the northern, you can pull the Y-bones out like a zipper. It basically makes 2 fantastic fish sticks!!!

ddj

I've tried it and I'm not very good at it. I basicaly end up with a mangled mess.

I'm not much of a fish eater so don't try that often....and I must say ( now....get your beer and popcorn ready!!!) that I consider fresh caught northerns every bit the equal of walleyes as table fare....

Ingwe

I say get your beer and potatoes ready...cuz you and me have the same taste Ingwe. I'll take a nice northern anyday. I too like it juuuusst a bit better than walleye. but they're neck and neck. Both dang good eatin'
Don't get me wrong, Northern is good eating....just not a walleye. wink

ddj
myeeaahh, walleye/shmalleye.

tastes like nuthin.

Don't get me wrong, it's great, everybody can eat walleye, even folks who didn't think they liked fish.

But northern out of good cold water cooked properly is so firm & lean, different texture from walleye, tighter.

I'd rather clean walleye that's for sure. but damn, good northern is hard to beat.

I'd still rather have a good chicken fried off a spike bull.. grin

Dober
That I can't argue...tis my favorite game meat by a long shot.
I can hear those pike jaws snappin this morning. We're headed for the lake, I'll take pictures. grin
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/14/10
Where's the pictures?

grin

I didn't take any of the 23" walleye I got either. frown
what a great weekend

my youngest horsed this 37" pike in (with a slight assist from dad)

[Linked Image]

then it was my turn (38")

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I made this Minnesota livewell.

[Linked Image]

then the little guy put a 29" in the livewell.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

then it was dusty's turn (42" 22.1 lbs)

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_2894.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_2895.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_2896.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_2897.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
then my oldest boy caught this one this morning, another 37"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/15/10
Holy Krapp ND!!! that WAS quite a weekend!!!
Excellent!!! laugh

Ingwe
Thanks Ingwe, that little 29 incher was delicious.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yowsa Dave--we gotta talk...grin

I spect you let those big boys swim away to be caught another day right?

Also, how much water are you in, how much ice is there and what kind of bait rigging are you using?

Thx
Dober
Dober, LOW has a return slot rule. from 30 inches on through 40 inches in length you must release them. limit is 3 fish per person and you may keep one over 40".

All of those 37's & the 38 incher were released immediately. We kept the 29 incher that one was supper last night (lemon pepper is the seasoning you see Pam sprinkling on the fillet in the photo) We baked the fillets with the little bit of butter you see in the photos, then the lemon pepper & a few cap fulls of lemon juice. We had fresh asparagus & baked taters as a side dish, really good supper.

Dusty brought the 42 incher home.

It will soon be occupying many, many glass pickle jars shocked

As far as depth & rigging, ice thickness was about 3�, depth from the top of the ice to the lake bottom was 8�. So we has about 5� of water under the ice. We use a couple of different types of rigs on the tip ups. I use mostly braided nylon or Dacron line, heavy stuff like 50lb or better. Dusty likes fly fishing line on his rigs & actually I really like that too.

For the rigs, we use a quick strike type. I say quick strike type because we make our own. We use good quality leader line with a pair of hooks. Most of my rigs use a pair of trebles, must of Dusty�s use those single barbed hooks with the backside spur hook to sink into the bait. Then we�ll put a spinner blade further up the leader rig to give a little flash & help draw attention to the bait. For the bait we use mostly live sucker minnows. We�ll use frozen cisco and smelt too though.

This is a picture I found while googling "quick strike rig" this is pretty much what I use. The end trebble goes in the sucker's nose, the mid trebble is a slider & I stick it in the sucker's back. That way the bait hangs straight & balanced.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/15/10
Dave what keeps them in the livewell.

gravity?

grin

Originally Posted by 7 STW
Dave what keeps them in the livewell.

ok, ok, seriously now, I'll try again grin

The ice is about 3' thick, I drilled 18 holes all around 15 to 16 inches deep, so there is a floor in that livewell. Drilled all them holes really close together with a 10" drill head on the power auger then I busted out the webbing that remained with an ice chissle. Then we scooped out all the ice & slush & it filled with water. The snow pack on top of the ice is waterlogged so the water filled in from the top side.

It's a little bit of work making one of those wells but the kids love it, it's kinda fun.

Posted By: 7 STW Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/15/10
Cool Thanks Dave.Really good pics too. I agree it's all about the kids.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/16/10
great pics dave- thanks for sharing. I've never experienced pike fishing like that.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/16/10
Dave, back when the concept of quick-strike rigs first came along, the small spinner was necessary in Minnesota to make the rig a lure so that it was legal to have more than one hook on it. Is that regulation still in effect in Minnesota? Best, John
I believe it is John.

At least that's why we put them on, I know it was in the regs at one time. We just keep doing it just in case it's still a law, besides I think it helps. grin

Hey Dave, to fish for crappie in Minne is there actually a season opener like walleye or are they just open year around?

Thx
Dober
Posted By: noduck Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/17/10
year round
I'd have to rely on noduck for that one, I have no clue. I do believe that you can legally fish northern year round by utilizing border waters/rivers etc.

You might have to change where you are fishing but if you do it right you can fish em all year.

I wish I had some decent crappie fishing close by.

I am glad to see you set the "Natty Ice" down before it was your turn!! wink

Nice pictures and post.

ddj
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/17/10
Now...if he could just say "No" to the Natty ice... wink

Ingwe
i don't drink the ice beer.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/17/10
Oh, shure...you say that now .......

grin

ingwe
not a fan of any "ice" beer
IT might have been Natty Light?

I should recognize the can. wink

ddj
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/18/10
Probably was Natty Light..

I'm just sayin..... whistle

Ingwe
I was just saying too.... wink

Dooooooood smile

ddj
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
IT might have been Natty Light?

I should recognize the can. wink

ddj

guilty... grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/18/10
Oh...mannnnnnnn...

I'm sooooo sorry......

grin
Ingwe
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/26/10
Oh...mannnnnnnn...

I'm sooooo sorry......

grin
Ingwe

Dave,

I'll look afta ya Mate !!

Here is a pic of Ingwe & his trouser trout !!

Paul.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/26/10
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! shocked

eek
Ingwe
Well, it's almost a "snot rocket" !!

Paul.
Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!! laugh
thats disgusting... shocked

Its phunny though!!! grin

Ingwe
" When I got up today, it looked so nice out, I decided to leave it out all day...."

laugh
Ingwe
Now, that right there is funny !!

Made my day !

Paul.
sick

lol! one in every croud.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/27/10
Better get back on topic! shocked

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Nice! walleye fishing?

Crawlers is a bit odd bait choice for pike grin

We've caught some of our biggest summer pike walleye fishing with crawlers.

It's the spinner that gets em.

Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/27/10
we make alot of our own crawler, leech and minnow rigs for trolling for walleye.......my wife, having a bit of an artistic mind has made some that look more like necklaces than fishing rigs.....6 inches or so of beads and floats...usually 2 smaller spinner blades spaced 2 inches apart.....dont usually catch many walleye on them but dang do the snot rockets home in one them grin
Ha Ha!, yeah the snot rockets love that bling!!

too funny!
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/27/10
we usually spend a night in late spring sitting around a friends kitchen table with 6 or 8 of us making the rigs and having drinks....good way to help keep kids interested, let them build their own rigs than fish with them....

anyways my buddy was giving my wife chit over the "necklaces" saying she wouldnt catch anything on them.....never did catch much for walleye but he shut up when one of them damn near got a snot rocket over 3 foot into the boat.....unfortunately the line we use for walleye rigs doesnt hold up to snot rocket teeth very well and it busted before we got it netted but it made a believer out of him.....even if it didnt get a walleye grin need to get some better line and try the "necklaces" again this year....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/27/10
Speaking of the bling, get a load of what is hanging out of this ones mouth...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
that fish done caught the gay.

Posted By: ribka Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/29/10
Love catching pike. Used to go up every year to Ontario or Manitoba for pike. Went up last year to Saskatchewan for pike and walleye.

Biggest to date is 47 inches for me. Goal is 50 inches

Love chasing with a fly rod too

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

A pink worm for Pike. I think I am going to faint!
One wife caught last year.

Attached picture DSC_7245.jpg
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/29/10
Originally Posted by ribka

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

A pink worm for Pike. I think I am going to faint!

Dat was a " Bubble Gum" floating worm, we used some by themselves as a topwater lure...they worked great!

ingwe
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 03/29/10
for some reason Bass Pro Shops saw fit to send me an "offshore angling" catalog.....hell ive only even seen the ocean once grin however looking at some of those rigs for tuna and marlin and the like i cant help but wonder if those flashy things would catch the attention of snot rockets crazy grin

BTW i hate you bastards.......all these pictures of big snot rockets and im starting to think i need to spend a few days on the big lake looking for them instead of going after walleye and having the snot rockets as by catch.....[bleep] enablers the lot of yah....... grin
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Pike need lovin too... - 04/02/10
Two days ago.

[Linked Image]

Ted
Nice one yukoner, we're all done on ice down here.

My next pike will likely be from the BWCA in June. Me & the wife are taking a bunch of kids in there again ages ranging from 6 to 18, heck my little sister might even come along, she's 21.

I'm planning the trip right now, I know where to go for absolute high likliness of trophy pike... But I'm trying to pick a set of lakes that offers more variety this time, some good walleye & some good smallmouth fishing. I really think the kids would have fun with that.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 04/02/10
SHORE LUNCH!!! grin

Ingwe
Damn right! That's the idea.
We have about three weeks more ice you can drive a pickup on, and about a week after that it will be all over until next winter............ well, until ice out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lake trout, on light tackle, need lovin', too! grin

Ted

lake trout. never done that, it's on my list. grin
Originally Posted by Yukoner
We have about three weeks more ice you can drive a pickup on, and about a week after that it will be all over until next winter............ well, until ice out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Lake trout, on light tackle, need lovin', too! grin

Ted

wow! beautiful scenery behind you too!!
Just let me know when you're comin'.

Spring

[Linked Image]

Summer

[Linked Image]

Fall

[Linked Image]

Ted
wow! beautiful scenery behind you too!!

Yep!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/laketrouter/HPIM3278.jpg[/img]

Ted
Wow, fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing those great pictures with us, that is some amazingly beautiful country you have there.

I'm not much of a photographer, really, just point and shoot. No doubt there is beautiful country where you are, too. smile
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 04/02/10
i need to try fishing for lakers one of these times out on the lake......really wanna try a couple in the smoker.....someone last summer caught one at the lake and when they were cleaning it discovered a decent sized muskrat in its belly.....
Posted By: tzone Re: Pike need lovin too... - 04/03/10
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL country up there Youkoner!

Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Pike need lovin too... - 04/03/10

The boundary waters has some nice lake trout. We caught some on spoons and cranks baits last june.

Boy, I'm very late to this "northern thread" but I have enjoyed it; thanks ND, my neighbor to the north. Some real "hogs" on here. I know they aren't all from Mn but what a great state for outdoorsmen!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/30/10
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

The boundary waters has some nice lake trout. We caught some on spoons and cranks baits last june.

We make an annual flyfishing lake trout trip for fish hammering outbound red salmon smolts at lake outlets. It is an amazing thing to watch the lakers boil water as a school of smolts erupts right into the terns waiting overhead. Year before last I caught 8 on 8 casts. Last year Miss T and I fished after everyone else in our group had gone to bed and for an hour or so we had at least one fish on almost the entire hour and had many doubles.

Lake trout and burbot are the only two freshwater fish actually worth eating... wink
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/30/10
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Lake trout and burbot are the only two freshwater fish actually worth eating... wink

Especially for a late breakfast on a fall moose hunting trip.

[Linked Image]

Ted
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/30/10
Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee... Would take a real knife to cut those steaks! wink

I jus' been officially one-upped! wink
art
Posted By: LiveFree Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/30/10
How does the Pike taste, in comparison to my favorite freshwater fish, the Walleye? Def a lot more meat on the pike. You guys have caught some real brutes!

I just caught my first Walleye here a couple weeks ago, and fried him up for dinner. My wife and 3 year old neice LOVED IT. I hadn't had a walleye for dinner in probably 20 years, when my Dad caught one on a fluke grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/30/10
Pike, IMHO are every bit as good as walleye, provided they are cooked fresh ....
The "Y" bones are a bit of a learning curve but you can get past that.
Nice white flaky meat...excellent done "Canadian Shore Lunch" style...

Ingwe
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/30/10
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee... Would take a real knife to cut those steaks! wink

I jus' been officially one-upped! wink
art

Not really. Just remembering a nice frosty morning with Marg last fall. smile

Ted
Posted By: LiveFree Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/31/10
Pike, IMHO are every bit as good as walleye, provided they are cooked fresh ....
The "Y" bones are a bit of a learning curve but you can get past that.
Nice white flaky meat...excellent done "Canadian Shore Lunch" style...

Ingwe

Went out last night again, got skunked. I am hoping to find me some Pike to eat soon smile. I'm heading to the largest lake in CO next weekend, the big Blue Mesa res. Nice lakers, Bows, and hopefully some Kokanee grin
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Pike need lovin too... - 05/31/10
Pike are every bit as good as eye maybe better.
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Pike need lovin too... - 06/08/10
Well doggone it, i just found this thread. We are leaving for a week in Manitoba fitchin' pike Friday. Here is a pic from last year (my brother and a 41.5):

[Linked Image]

And a cousin to the pike, a 50" muskie caught by yours truly:
[Linked Image]
the releaseh shot of the same fish:
[Linked Image]

And just a teaser.....I will be doing this in a few days:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Pike need lovin too... - 08/06/10
Just noticed this thread, great photos guys smile

My one encounter with a member of the pike family was a chain pickerel in Lake Caddo, Tx. He hit a floating frog while I was bass fishing. Didn't hook him but he left a double row of tooth marks in the lure.

There was a notorious case in Lake Davis, California where someone decided the lake needed northerns, and apparently stocked them in the lake without authorization. The lake was well known for trophy rainbows, and there was much concern the pike would eat the 'bows. Also concern if they got over the dam they could make it into the Sacramento Delta, where it would be impossible to eradicate them. The lake was eventually drained far down and poisoned to ensure the total removal of the pike. The original cuplrit was never identified.

I need to go visit my sis in Minnesota and catch me some pike smile Looks like a blast!
Posted By: rattler Re: Pike need lovin too... - 08/09/10
tried to shore fish for pike and smallmouths last weekend.....biting flies attempted to drag my mini dachshund down the bank for supper so i rescued her and got the hell out of there.....dont ever remember them being this bad.....
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Pike need lovin too... - 08/12/10
Cuz & I were on local lake last eve. throwing Johnsons for snakes. I deflowered my 7 1/2' medium Reaction Strike, Cardiff 200, 50# Power Pro rig, hooking up with a 24" or so pike. I sure do like this rig, hopint to get into bigger muskie and pike later this year. 83� surface water. Had some follows, bumps & misses. Good time. Great thread, thanks ND.
© 24hourcampfire