-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost forgot to mention but last spring while back in Minne visiting the fam I did some fly fishing for crappies with my 5 wt. First night out and the last cast I hooked into a 36" pike, lets just say I made two phone calls during the sporty encounter..grin

I finally got him in and let him go back to his home a bit more tired than he was earlier in the day.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Not this summer (markets too tight) but perhaps next you and I and Juan should take a road trip north with 9 weights in hand?

Dober

Guys....I could put you allover 40" pike if you could put me on a mulie/antelope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What part of Manitoba do you live in and have you ever fly fished for pike? Also is it safe to assume that you try to release most of the big fish you catch?

And last question, what do you normally find a 40" pike to weigh?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I live in Winnipeg but fish for summertime pike far north of here. I don't fly fish at all but my buddy is hardcore (and very very good). He's also the head guide at Utik Lake (google it). I and everyone in my boat releases EVERY big fish caught and I would expect the same from you. Right now (March) a 40 will be pushing 20 lbs and but in mid/late summer only 18 lbs or so. As luck would have it I'm leaving in a couple hours for 3 days of piking! LOL

Here's a few pics from a 2 day trip last August. We caught probably a dozen or so between 38" - 43"....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wowsa that is some pike that guy caught on his fly rod! Gotta get you hooked on doing it with a fly rod, once you've done it your other fishing rods will not see any game time dats for sure!!

I'll take a look at the Utik Lake when I get a second. Glad to hear you let em all go back to grow up.. cool

Kind of figured a 40" would go 17 to 18 during the summer, wonderful fish and a refreshing thread!

Dober

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey I just googled Utik lake and several lodges came up, which one does the fly fisherman guide for?

Thx
Dober

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
He catches lots like that LOL. You should see the pigs he pulls outta Utik! You'll see his picture allover the website. There is only one lodge on Utik, it's called North Haven I think? I've done the fly fishing thing, not my cup of tea but I almost think that's cheating after watching my buddy tease the gators out of cabbage beds with the big maraboo thingys he ties! LOL

you have a pm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx

Dober

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You guys are killin' me. I could only dream of catching pike like that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Not this summer (markets too tight) but perhaps next you and I and Juan should take a road trip north with 9 weights in hand?

Dober

Dober...we are planning a trip up in 2011, Ill drop you a line...so to speak...with particulars if you are interested...my fave lodge, Catch-n-release only,100 fish days are common..
One day during the week we each keep a little one and it is cooked up shore lunch style...

[Linked Image]

Shari with Supper!! laugh

Also got my " personal best" up there, with a fly...55 casts....55 pike! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definately keep me in the loop, is this a guys deal or a guys and galz deal?

55 with 55 has got to be a world record!

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be more than glad to take some of those off you hands there Ingwe. For me fly fishing for pike/muskie is the living end!

Can't stomach going back to spinning and or heavy tackle to fish for them anymore, just too much like cheating to do it that way...grin

Dober

Actually, Dober, it's more like cheating to fish for them with fly tackle. They are suckers for big flies, bugs and poppers! smile

Ted

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Definately keep me in the loop, is this a guys deal or a guys and galz deal?

55 with 55 has got to be a world record!

Dober

Mark, its a guys/gals deal....

I could do a lot of things without Ingwewife getting upset, but if I went pike fishing without her, she would "lawyer-up" while I was gone! shocked

I'll tell you about it tween now and then but its a sweet deal, fly in,moderately priced, and the new owners are the old care-takers...who really know how to run an outfit like this...

Its where I took your 9 wt....to break it in.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Mark, did you ever hook into that one off the dock at your folks place? You talked about it once before, you even had a name for that big girl I think?

Great pictures guys! We are getting very close to our late ice pike run up on lake of the woods.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope never did Dave, fact is last summer there were hardly any fish at all around there dock? Weird....even the sunnies had gone by by..?

Dober

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that's strange, especially for the panfish. must be something changed with the plant life?

Well fellers, i'm tuning in plans for a big pike hunt on Lake of the woods MN next weekend.

I have the spot picked out, oh it's gonna be a good one. bound to be 10 or a dozen of us out there if not more. 2 lines each, there will be some fish pictures for sure.

Just talked to my step bro who fished this spot just this week. Biggest they caught was a 46"

Forty six freeking inches of pike, that's a nasty beast to be fighting on a piece of string hand over hand standing over a hole in the ice.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ND, heres my first big one on Ultralight ( #6 line...4'6" rod) back in about 1992...this one went 42inches..

[Linked Image]

Have fun at Lake-o-da-woods!!! grin

Ingwe

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I can't find the picture I am looking for of my 42 1/2" but i did find this lil guy while searching for the other pic.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Here's one of me & my oldest boy, this is the fish pictured at the top of this thread that's being cleaned on the bottom of the canoe.

must have been around 2003?

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pics of feesh guys!

Dave have you done much time in the Boundry waters?

Dober

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.