Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mercury, no problem. Stack the fish in the freezer on their nose, tail up. As they freeze, the mercury will drop and end up in the head. Thaw and clean. No problem.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we were in that area from 45 to 50 years ago I have to think that is long enough for the mercury to accumulate in the river and in the fish population. Anyway as long as it doesn't disturb you enjoy the fish.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You eat the 15-16" walleyes and throw the big ones back to spawn and get even bigger. Before they had the slot size up there, we kept and ate those big ones. If you get the Conservation license you eat fish like a seal when you are up there, but don't bring any back. I wouldn't take my own boat up there #1 because of the rocks and #2 they net the lakes that you can drive to and those fish end up at your local Red Lobster. We were scooting along up there running wide open out in the middle of the lake when I saw a gull on the water and didn't think much about it. Then as we got closer it was wait a minute, there is air under that gull!!! That bird saved me a costly repair. Have a great time up there. It is a heck of a fishery.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do you ever get out on Dinorwic?
Making our annual trip to Sioux Lookout next month, always grapple with the thought of stopping and fishing Dinorwic and/or Wabigoon on the way
Have a great trip

1/504 PIR
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I'm wondering why the mercury doesn't affect those big wallleye.

I wish I hadn't played with all those mercury dimes as a kid.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I didn't think our government had ever done anything to get rid of the mercury in Wabigoon Lake. I know it was present when we used to hunt with an outfitter based out of there in the 1970's and nothing had happened since. You're a braver man than me.

Jim

hi Jim

I don't know if any remediation proceedures have been done in Wabigoon Lake, but as you might know, Ontario has quite a good program regarding mercury and other pollutants in lakes as a result of Ontario's Fish Contaminant Monitoring Program.

See Overview including advice to mimimize Hg intake

If you know the lake, go to search for a lake or area like Dryden

you can then click on Lake Wabigoon and get a table of fish species, size and recommended consumption rates

What you get is quite detailed and looks like this: Lake and species and size-specific recommended max meals per month

As already noted, release the big fish, eat the small fish -- I absolutely love walleye, but I think I'd get sick of eating walleye long before I get close to the recommended limit as long as this practice is followed.

I really miss walleye and often salivate on my keyboard when wabigoon or new_2_99s post their damn pictures of fishing and fish dinners! eek laugh

John

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Richard,

I'm curious. How did a farmer from Iowa get hooked up with a place way the heck up there?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The Good Lord willing, bright, and early in the morning.

want me to catch some fish for you kind folks? laugh

I'm heading there in a couple of weeks with some buds I used to work with. They tell me the skeeters are not near as bad in the later summer/fall. Really looking forward to it. Safe travels and good fishing!

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rooster, my grandparents built this place about the time I was born, that was of course, as a long time ago.

I've been told my grandfather, a gravel contractor, visited a contractor in Omaha that was a fisherman. I'll guess that was a man named Wheeler. If I'm correct, Wheeler owned an island on Wabigoon Lake.

We are both tiered after the drive, and nothing ever seems to work the first day, or so. I've been fighting the TV for my wife. I spent about a hour with our Roku to no avail. It may be a device that was programmed in the US will have to be redone for Canada?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Interesting story, Richard. Thanks.

Sorry I can't help you out with the Roku. I know nothing about it.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
I didn't think our government had ever done anything to get rid of the mercury in Wabigoon Lake. I know it was present when we used to hunt with an outfitter based out of there in the 1970's and nothing had happened since. You're a braver man than me.

Jim

Jim, It's not in the lake per se, it's downstream from the mill, carried by the Wabigoon river.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome back Richard & Judy !

smile

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard stopped into my shop, as I was typing the last reply !

& thank you, very much for the packages of beef liver !!

grin

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In 13+ years here, I have only fished Wabigoon Lake this last winter !

Never in the summer.

Too many options.

Paul.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Richard stopped into my shop, as I was typing the last reply !

& thank you, very much for the packages of beef liver !!

grin

I'd love to meet Richard myself!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Super nice guy, but Judy is way better on the eyes !

wink

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Enjoy the stay, Richard. Have some TimBits for me at Tim Horton's. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
We got out for about three hours today. Nice day, a bit cool, the lake was not rough. No keepers, a small jack,(northern), a tiny bass, and a minnow eating little jackfish. We shoul'd fried up the minnows! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,584
Posts18,473,375
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.