-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
U
U

Would Steelhead or Calvin care to explain how a Browning BLR carried in such a manner could possibly go off accidentally?
-jeff

It take my last post back I just found one that topped it.

Last edited by UM_Zac; 11/11/07.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mind your business. I was asking Steelhead.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Are you a chick?

Still dodging what you said, huh?

(yawn)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CAS
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

Steelhead and Calvin see an animal, chamber a round while raising the rifle (with the safety OFF in Calvin's case if I remember right) point the gun at the deer, and shoot it. If they don't shoot they must manipulate the rifle to get back to their obsessive-compulsive virginal state of unloadedness. :-)

Me and most other people see an animal, raise the rifle, pop off the safety if it's a shooter, and shoot the animal. If not, we lower the rifle and check the safety.

Since so many accidents happen while people are manipulating their firearms, I think the former approach is MORE dangerous- you have some unsafe bozo fiddling with his rifle loading and unloading it all the time? Bad... bad... bad.

-jeff

To suggest that carrying a loaded rifle is safer than carrying an unloaded rifle ought to render the author of that pearl of wisdom completely irrelevant in any argument about any subject.

Facts are facts, and rifles with a round in the chamber can discharge. Rifles with an empty chamber cannot discharge. If safety is one's primary concern, then he hunts with an empty chamber. Making the decision to hunt with a round in the chamber indicates that something besides safety is the primary concern.

There is a big difference between eliminating the possibility of an accidental discharge and reducing the likelihood of said discharge. Eliminating unnecessary risks is sound policy in my book. There isn't a deer walking the planet today that is worth blowing a friend's head off, nor spilling my brains on the mountain over.

That said, Jeff, you have a profound misconception of proper rifle handling safety. You point out that Calvin hunts with his safety off, yet fail to grasp that he hunts with an empty chamber, rendering the safety meaningless.

Further, a cardinal rule of safety is that you NEVER level your rifle at ANYTHING unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN of your target:

Me and most other people see an animal, raise the rifle, pop off the safety if it's a shooter, and shoot the animal.

Pointing a hot rifle (hell, even an unloaded rifle) at a target you are unsure of breaks the most fundamental rule of firearm safety. Perhaps you have never heard the saying, so I will repeat it here: Never point your rifle at anything you are not 100% prepared to destroy.

Lastly, relying on any mechanical safety, even those safeties "ENGINEERED INTO (YOUR) RIFLE" is akin to trusting the hooker when she tells you that she has been tested clean. Both are poor plans for long-tern survival.

Figured that would have sent you packing....

Last edited by Calvin; 11/11/07. Reason: missed a word
U
U
Originally Posted by corporal cleg

If you want to take a tumble while hauling around a broadhead unquivered that's your business. The simple fact is it's your own stupidity that will leave you digging it out of your gut.

When your torch your rifle off and remove your pards noggin' while carrying one in the tube it's your stupidity that got him killed.

BTW good luck with the jump shooting deer, elk or whatever else with the bow let us know how that turns out.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
UM Zac,

It's amazing, isn't it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
off to church boys, to repent of my sins.... Maybe God will reveal to me that hunting with a hot rifle is smart?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Calvin,

I point my rifle at DEER, when I am hunting DEER. The safety comes off if it's a shooter. I don't point my rifle at movement, sounds, or anything else.

In short I'm a grownup who practices excellent gun handling.

To go backwards a bit, it seems that you are claiming NOW that you and Steelhead hunt in the following manner, and correct me if I'm wrong: see a deer. Use your binoc's or whatever to identify if it's a shooter. At that time, and only then, you chamber a round and point it at the deer.

OK, first off, come hunt blacktail in the rainforest in central western Oregon and see how much luck you have hunting that way. Hint: none. You think a buck 30 yards away is gonna stand there while you do all that, think again. You laugh at the idea that the sound of the safety coming off could be an issue, but I'm telling you it IS. It is so quiet, and the foliage is so dense, that you won't even see the deer unless it's close, and yes that metallic click has swiveled the ears of more than one deer when I've snicked that safety off. Chamber a ROUND at that point? Forget it.

So you are basing your whole pissing match on hunting where you hunt, in the conditions you hunt in, and don't seem to be able to comprehend how things could be different anywhere else. Again, that's a YOU problem.

Second off, I don't believe you anyway when you describe how you hunt! Here's how I think you do it. You see a deer, and as you've said in earlier posts "raise the rifle in a fluid motion while chambering a round". That's a synopsis, not a direct quote; I'll go get a direct quote if you insist. So now, YOU TOO are pointing a loaded rifle at a mystery deer, with the safety off no less! Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

My point was, and remains, in the text that you quoted above... that manipulating a loaded firearm (IE, loading and unloading it) is demonstratably when a large percentage of gun accidents happen. I think it's at least debatable that your practice, as you describe it, has as many safety "holes" in it as anything else. So while I don't have a problem with you or anyone else carrying unloaded, I don't think your own hunting/gun habits are as foolproof as you seem to think.

Finally, have you handled a Browning BLR? If so, explain to me how, specifically, it could fire with the hammer in the half-cock position and folded forwards. If not, I suppose I could post some pictures and try to step you through it. Because yes, I will rely on the engineered safety built into that rifle, combined with safe gun handling practices. Browning has staked a multi-million dollar company on the safety of that design, and smarter people than you or me engineered it. So since you are saying it's not safe, prove it! Explain to me how that gun could fire in that condition, in a hard fall or otherwise.

Hint: you can't.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
off to church boys, to repent of my sins.... Maybe God will reveal to me that hunting with a hot rifle is smart?

Maybe he'll teach you a little humility...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by UM_Zac
Originally Posted by corporal cleg

If you want to take a tumble while hauling around a broadhead unquivered that's your business. The simple fact is it's your own stupidity that will leave you digging it out of your gut.

When your torch your rifle off and remove your pards noggin' while carrying one in the tube it's your stupidity that got him killed.

Well, since you cant mind your own business-
Steelhead posted
"Dude, I can handle a 'missed opportunity' as opposed to a bullet in the head....."
he also posted
"I also don't hunt with me alone and a round in the chamber. One can go from flat footed to upside down in a hurry around here."

This was an in answer to a "what if" question posed to him. Seems to me, that Steelhead is suggesting that he would rather carry unloaded, then risk the chance of getting one in the head. Couple this with all the talk about dropping guns, tripping, it is easy to infer that Steelhead was talking about accidentally shooting himself. If one expresses a concern of shooting oneself by tripping falling, dropping ones gun, what have you, it is certainly safe to assume that one would be concerned about stabbing himself with an arrow, by tripping, falling, dropping ones bow.
Whether or not one can inflict damage on a bystander is irrelevant-one can shoot onseself in the head, one can stab ones self with a bow. Steelhead acknowledged that even when hunting alone, he still hunts without one in the chamber-so hunting partners is irrelevant. If one is worried about shooting himself, and therefore carries a rifle empty, one could certainly assume that one would carry a bow empty also....or not, I really wanted clarification from Steelhead.

Last edited by corporal cleg; 11/11/07.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UM_Zac

Would Steelhead or Calvin care to explain how a Browning BLR carried in such a manner could possibly go off accidentally?
-jeff

It take my last post back I just found one that topped it.

OK, UM Zac, I'll add you to the list. Explain to us how a Browning BLR, carried hot with the hammer at half-cock and folded forwards, could possibly be induced to fire.

It can't, and you can't.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dude, deer hunting ain't life or death. Carrying with an empty chamber has nothing to do with inexperience. That fact that folks say it is as safe to carry loaded as unloaded is [bleep] funny.

How the [bleep] do you go from deer hunting to COMBAT in one sentence?

Ding, ding......

Sounds like you're hitting the bottle in the wee hours with that language......make sure all the rounds are outta' the chambers...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
so this is where all the quotes are coming from....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Jeff,

You should change your handle to "Miss Information".

Perfect.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Calvin,

You should realize that a sure sign of someone LOSING a debate is when all they can come up with is juvenile insults.

Just FYI.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh... Calvin... still waiting for you to explain how my Browning BLR could be induced to fire a round with the hammer at half-cock and folded forwards...

-------------------------------

We can, and probably should, let this go. I'm tired of it and it's degenerated to the point of calling people girls and whatnot. The only reason I'm still wasting my time on you is that you basically insulted me (and the majority of hunters) by saying we were a danger in the woods. I take gun safety seriously, and in fact I'm the annoying guy in camp who "calls" other guys on their gun handling mistakes. So I don't like being told that I'm irresponsible when it's just not true.

So that's what got my gander up. At this point we're just acting like little kids. :-) Wanna let it go? I will if you will.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't dispute the fact that you are the annoying guy (or woman) in camp.

Let it go? You just started another thread encouraging others to jump into the fray...

Read more, post less.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Love to stay and play, but I'm off to try to call in a big buck with a call I crafted last night.... Later

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Calvin,

Second off, I don't believe you anyway when you describe how you hunt! Here's how I think you do it. You see a deer, and as you've said in earlier posts "raise the rifle in a fluid motion while chambering a round". That's a synopsis, not a direct quote; I'll go get a direct quote if you insist. So now, YOU TOO are pointing a loaded rifle at a mystery deer, with the safety off no less! Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

-jeff

Quick Question for Jeff. Why does the safety have to be off in this situation?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I almost get teary eyed when I think of the Campfire I joined back in 03. It was sooo good and I learned so much.

You think it was good in '03, you shoulda been in 2000 and 2001 when people could disagree and be still civil toward one another. Foul language and name-calling were virtually unknown.

And no Calvin, my response is not directed specifically at you--it's a just a general observation.

I hope you guys find a cordial and peaceful resolution to this dispute.

Carry on.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,936
Posts18,518,996
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.