Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Here is the background to my "need" for another rifle.

**Currently have a 7mm-08 that shoots very well but just can't get past the guns features (don't like it). I have a lot of reloading gear for this setup.

**Have a Mt. Lion hunt in a year that the rifle would be used for and would like to watch my rifle weight.

I am fortunate to own rifles in the mid-upper caliber range so I'm looking for a more sensible caliber chambered in a sensible rifle to carry.

I wish I didn't have to say this about my beloved M700, I'm looking for a factory rifle that requires less tweaking and is ready to hit the range. Nor do I want to get into the cost of a full custom either.

I am leaning towards a Sako chambered in 7mm-08 but I'm not very knowledgeable on the difference between the A7, Finnlight or the SS Synthetic. I see the A7 has features to make it competitively priced. However, I'll save a little longer if the other models warrant the price increase.

I'm 0-2 with a good Kimber. FYI

Thanks in advance

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I recently bought a Finnlight and can highly recommend that model, but I don't have any first hand experience with the other models.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I recently bought a Finnlight and can highly recommend that model

Is it the 85? or 75?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
huntem,

Isn't your 7-08 a Tikka T3? If so, near as I can tell the A7 is a 3 lug T3. What you don't like about one, you may not like about the other. If I'm wrong, just ignore that comment.

I've heard good things about the other Sako's, and I'm sure they would do you well. For the price of them ($1200+ if I recall), I would think you could do a semi-custom 700 based gun that should be made to shoot pretty easy for a hunting rifle ($300 action, $200 ti stock, $500 pac-nor rebarrel). Just an option.

Hope things are good on your end,
Carl

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+1 on the custom. You can get into one for a lot less than you think, and be a lot happier.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The $1500 custom build is a fairytale in the end! Seriously look into the higher-end lightweights (Sako Finnlights, Wby ULW, Kimber Montana etc.). You'll come out cheaper in the end and with A LOT less headache! I'd go with a .308 Winchester. I humbly think that it is more versatile than the 7mm-08.

WAR EAGLE!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OldCenterChurch,

I'll agree a build is work, and can be a headache (depending), but not being able to do it for $1500? In my experience, $1000 can be pinching pretty hard (depending), but $1500 is cake, at least for what I want.

And please don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting a Sako would be a bad way to go, either.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carl,

Thanks for your reply and also for being a gentleman. I thought I was going to get beheaded for my comments. I understand that cost can be subjective when considering what components are satisfactory for a custom or semi-custom build. And, in fairness, I would agree that your suggestion to build has plenty of merit. I'm one of those that simply feel all warm and fuzzy with a McMillan stock as a staple ingredient as well as a nice stainless action. Once you have purchased the McMillan (no bedding), the R700 stainless SA, and all the shipping and transfer fees, you�re (I�m) already at $1000. I simply lack the frugal nature and wealth of experience that some have at building custom rifles. So, considering all that, to your point, I concede.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had quiet a few 308Wins, love that cal! But I think the 7mm-08 would be my pick(ATM I like it more smile ). 120-160 TSX has it covered.
Sako all the way.

Taking my rifle for a walk
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't speak on experience with the A7 but I currently have a 75 Hunter in 25-06, a 75 Finnlight in 260, and an 85 Hunter in 338 Federal. All are amazing shooters with the smoothest actions I ever cycled. Exceptional triggers and shoots every ammo I've tried into tiny groups. I'm also a big fan of Sako two postion safty and the short bolt lift. If you want a sure thing with no hassle, go with a Sako.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of going Sako??

I heard that once you go Sako, you never go backo! smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was bad! Go to bed! grin grin

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't ... I'm at work running experiments!! smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
rmpace said it right. Sakos are wonderful rigs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntem

Thanks in advance

I'am 3-3 with good sakos, Get your self a 75 or 85, put your favorite scope on it, sight it in and it's a done deal.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
huntem,

Isn't your 7-08 a Tikka T3? If so, near as I can tell the A7 is a 3 lug T3. What you don't like about one, you may not like about the other. If I'm wrong, just ignore that comment.

You are correct about the T3 Lite. Judging only by what I read you may be correct regarding the A7 being very much like the Tikka.

I guess my personal likes and dislikes can't get past the plastic feel of the T3. The only reason I bought it was for may daughters bear hunt. The gun fit her well.

Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
I'll agree a build is work, and can be a headache (depending), but not being able to do it for $1500? In my experience, $1000 can be pinching pretty hard (depending), but $1500 is cake, at least for what I want.

I am my own worst enemy when it comes to not knowing when to quit. It doesn't matter what I'm working on, I always end up saying the same thing "If I'm going to this much trouble I might as well....." KaChing KaChing I doubt I could control myself to budget $1500.

On a side note, I'd like to make a move early in the spring to get quality trigger time at the range. I'm not so sure I want invest the time to finish a custom rifle.

Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Seriously look into the higher-end lightweights (Sako Finnlights, Wby ULW, Kimber Montana etc.)... I'd go with a .308 Winchester. I humbly think that it is more versatile than the 7mm-08.

OldCenterChurch thank you for the suggestions, also. In regards to the .308, I plan to stay with the 7mm-08 only because of the reloading components that I currently own and the fact that I have M700 TI in 300WSM.

If you look at the rifles I own they usually have the same thing in common, the caliber ends in the word magnum. So the idea of having a sensible caliber fits the idea that I firmly believe (but frequently ignore) you don't need a magnum to kill a deer (or cat).

The Sako bug hit me recently when I picked up a LH 75 in .270 for my daughter. I really like the lines of the rifle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I recently bought a Finnlight and can highly recommend that model

Is it the 85? or 75?

I have a Finnlite 75 in 6.5x55.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought the A7 looked cheap. I have a Sako in a 75 finlight it is a nicer rifle

On the custom side I have to say 1,000 bucks is a pipe dream. I have had about 15 customs bulit in the last 15 years and they all ran over budget, even though I was happy with the end result.

On the pac nor your about 100 bucks off. Just had one done by them SS barrel at 260 + 300 fitting and chambering and 40 shipping that 600 bucks, finding a remington for 300 in a short aciton will reqire some looking. I found my last one for 400 at a gun show sold the barrel for 40 bucks still have the stock so you might get close, but I looked for 6 months.

On stocks a good fitted fiberglass from a number of good companys seem to be right at $400, and the cheaper ones usually take a bit of fitting, Hell I'm sorry I'm ranting. I think 2,000 would be a good budget and it will be great!

Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Sako experience runs from L61R, AIII, and AV. Never had a bad one, I reckon I'm about 5 for 5.

Always heard very good things about the 75 Finnlight. That in a 7-08 would be sweet. Don't know if they ever made one, but a 7x57 Finnlight would be even cooler.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks in advance

1 for 3 in the Kimber is right around the corner if you buy FOsteology's Montana in 7mm-08..... smile

I'd surely have no qualms with the Finnlight!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,075
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.