Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Looking for insight on the value of a standard 1952 model 70 in good shape, nothing missing, in 35 Whelen. The barrel is stamped like this one: http://www.liveauctionworld.com/Pre...lt-Action-Carbine-in-35-Whelen_i19367549

I am leery of obscure chamberings and have a hard time assessing a fair offer.

Appreciate any help,

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you pass on it let me know😎

Hope one of our model 70 experts can help you

Bump

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by snowshew

I am leery of obscure chamberings

Hardly obscure, the 35 Whelen is based on the '06 necked up to .35 caliber and is a great "thumper" that should be right at home where you live. Don't know how many rifles were produced in this caliber, but I bet there were not a lot. If it has not been re-barreled, you might have an expensive rifle there.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No expert. But, if I am reading the "Rule" book properly, .35 Whelan was not a standard factory offering. This leads to a custom order which would tend run the price up a bit.

While the .35 Whelan may not an "obscure" cartridge, it is not one that is very common in the average gun shop. Personally, I'd love to have a Pre-64 Standard in .35 Whelan. But looking at the previous auction tells me that it's not in my bank account to do so...

To the OP, if the price was reasonable and within my budget, I'd grab it...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If the caliber marking on the barrel of the rifle you're considering looks the same as that pictured on the auction rifle then I would believe it is a factory special order. I have collected M/70's for more than 35 yrs. and have never seen or heard of one in .35 Whelen, so I would be exceedingly carefull. I would certainly ask the seller if he has any history or provenance. There are fakers out there who can produce barrels with markings that look like factory, so caveat emptore certainly applies in this instance.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The only way I'd entertain the 35 Whelen auction and the one before it, 9mm and the one after, 257 Fwt., would be to have a 3 day inspection period. Acquiring pre '64's outside of the data found in the Rule and Whittaker books is asking for a lot of sleepless nights.
My own opinion is that there is a talented gunsmith on the loose, although not necessarily in the case of the 9mm.
Caveat emptor

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/19/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There was a thread in The Winchester Collectors Forum in early May discussing this rifle and other "professionally refinished" M70's in uncatalogued chamberings at the May RIA auction. From the realized prices, it appears that the buyers were also more than a little skeptical.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the advice. The rifle is for sale locally, (the auction photos were representative of what I believe the barrel to be) though I have not seen it in person. The seller, who sounded quite a bit older, read all the stampings to me over the phone and said nothing was stamped over, or altered, etc. He's asking 1900.00. Not a word written about 35 Whelen by Rule, (even when discussing special orders) which is troubling.

I thought I had found "evidence" on line in the auction photos of this caliber factory chambered by Winchester, but you comments are cooling my interest.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It wouldn't cost anything to take a look at the rifle if it was local....I would just to satisfy my curiosity.

Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it were a browning or Remington you could call the company and they could tell you what it sold as. Does Winchester not offer such a service?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
snowshew,
Any non-catalogued pre '64 would need factory documented paperwork/letter in order to make it legitimate. If that were the case, you could add another zero after $1900. If you are chasing the 35 Whelen, there are better options at half the price.
If you are chasing a high end variation at a fraction of the cost, than you are treading on very thin ice.
For less than $1900 you could get a very nice Fwt. in 30-06 let's say, with an aluminum or much less, a plastic butt plate.
Good luck

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've learned 'never to say never' when it comes to firearm variants but I like to maintain a fair degree of skepticism until something is confirmed. Knowing what the ~scarce caliber pre-64's go for in any kind of original condition an intact/legit version in .35 Whelen would be a steal at $1900.

I hope you go see this in person and report back what you actually find.

Last edited by MWN; 07/19/14.
MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmmm, one sold here not too long ago but it was not original. It was a rebored to .35 Whelen and a pretty good barrel restamped too. Great caliber, great rifle, but not original factory chamber.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/8511340/For_Sale_Winchester_Model_70_i

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is he selling it as a factory original rifle, re-bore or unknown? Seems like the price reflects the later which IMO is higher than a re-bore.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Launchingrounds
Is he selling it as a factory original rifle, re-bore or unknown? Seems like the price reflects the later which IMO is higher than a re-bore.

Good question....How is the rifle being advertised?

Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
"Unknown," but to the owner it appears original. No supporting documentation. MWN's link above is very helpful; I wish the serial number was clearer, it almost looks like the digits could be the same. Since Oregunsmith does such a convincing job re-boring/stamping, I am going to assume re-bore and pass.

Thanks again to all who have shared their wisdom, experience and photos of Reagan. Chasing these old 70's is addictive, and sometimes it is good to have enthusiasm tempered with sage advice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.