-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure glad I bought a lifetime supply of the stuff back when you could get all you wanted for $18 a bag.

Wish I'd of had that same foresight before the 22LR glut. frown
You can bet your ass I'm stocked up for life now though.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/17/17.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by hanco
Make it out of 270 WSM brass.

I assume this is a joke as 270 wsm is also hard to find. For any thinking of doing so.
It is much easier to acheive positive headspace by necking down than by necking up.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't get too comfortable with Hornady.. and make sure you stock up on what you like/need, because they WILL leave you stranded.

For every new product they release, one of their classics goes by the wayside. I can't tell you how many bullets they have discontinued over the past ten or twelve years that I have used, along with many guys I know. ...and not just obscure bullets either.. the latest to get the axe was the .257 100 grain Interlock. Hornady has been phasing out cup and core bullets for the newest fads for over a decade now. I have nothing against new bullet technology, but not at the expense of what already works, and people depend on.

I have all but quit using their components, I like their offerings, I just don't care for Hornady's track record of component dependability.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will stick to the classics.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spotshooter, I just bought some once fired Federal 7mm WSM brass from Brassman from the classifieds here. I'd probably rather have new Winchester brass myself, but I'll take what I can get at this point. I reload for rifles in .25-20, .32-20, .30-40 Krag, .30 Remington, .22 Hornett, 7mm WSM and alot of the more standard calibers. I am glad to see Starline Brass stepping up and manufacturing brass for some of the older calibers. I feel your pain. Brassman was prompt on his shipping and an honest man to deal with.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 09/17/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Try to find Win. 351 brass!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
Federal did the same thing with 338 Federal. Made brass for a bit, then stopped and only sells loaded ammunition. The beautiful thing though is I can send any 308 Win brass through the die and have my 338 brass though. But it would be nice to have headstamped brass. I bought some factory ammo on sale, but haven't gotten to shooting any yet.

Hornady scares me. They drop lines in a heartbeat. Most round nosed bullets are now gone, and instead they come up with zombie bullshit or rocket science nonsense or tipped or mono this or that. I stick with cup and core die hards like Sierra.

I think your comment illustrates that there is no guarantee from any of the manufacturers to continue supporting or producing a particular product. If there is a bullet, rifle, brass, or whatever you are fond of, it's best to pounce while it is still available. There are a few rifles I wish I had bought when they were still produced. Glad I did get a LH Ruger MKII before they stopped making them.

Sierra has just been purchased. So I would say there is uncertainty in their future as to what they continue to support. In fact, referencing the OP, I see no advantage for Hornady buying Winchester Olin. Hornady already makes brass, bullets and ammunition. No telling what would get dropped from what's left of Winchester's ammunition offerings. At least for now, Winchester provides one more offering competing in the marketplace even if they aren't making everything we want them to.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by saddlering
Try to find Win. 351 brass!

I found a very nice .351 Self Loader here in the classifieds one day and determined that I needed it badly. I have a soft spot for old rifles and odd calibers. Upon trying to find some brass before I purchased it, I sadly decided I could live without it. Kind of wish I bought it anyway, but I didn't. They are really neat and classy little rifles.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No fretting from me, as I have a good supply of the 7wsm brass.

I will say this, I finally got around to shooting my 300 wsm and 7 wsm yesterday. (both kimber montana) The 7 wsm was considerably more pleasant to shoot. Granted I was shooting a 140gr out of the 7 and 168 out of the 300.

Going to take the 7 for a hike tomorrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
351 sl can be made from 223 brass but you will need to trim your beard a few times before you have a supply of it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Ah winchester could make the brass every 5 years like they used to, the fact that they dropped the 7 WSM after developing shows they lost focus on the customer who they made it for.
I'm not saying they don't need to make money - any idiot can charge enough to cover costs, but it takes a real idiot to cut a product line for ammo you drove into the market. Or of course you want to drive away customers, in that case put the corp. ship in a downward spiral, and then find a new job after 3 years and leave the rest of the crew to deal with your screw ups. (Talking here about how long it takes for a VP or higher who isn't worth much to leave).

My bet is there are some older guys at Winchester that are dealing with a bunch of young pup cool guy jack ass corporate types -- I.e. The place is going down the [bleep], with new management - that don't have the same fiber as the old crew.

Hornady might make them look bad by making 7 WSM brass - hell they could price it high and cover costs and still break even, plus moving more loaders over their way.

And yes I do hope Olin / Winchester find the thread.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/17/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Ah winchester could make the brass every 5 years like they used to, the fact that they dropped the 7 WSM after developing shows they lost focus on the customer who they made it for.
I'm not saying they don't need to make money - any idiot can charge enough to cover costs, but it takes a real idiot to cut a product line for ammo you drove into the market. Or of course you want to drive away customers, in that case put the corp. ship in a downward spiral, and then find a new job after 3 years and leave the rest of the crew to deal with your screw ups. (Talking here about how long it takes for a VP or higher who isn't worth much to leave).

My bet is there are some older guys at Winchester that are dealing with a bunch of young pup cool guy jack ass corporate types -- I.e. The place is going down the [bleep], with new management - that don't have the same fiber as the old crew.

Hornady might make them look bad by making 7 WSM brass - hell they could price it high and cover costs and still break even, plus moving more loaders over their way.

And yes I do hope Olin / Winchester find the thread.

As a publicly traded company, the decision makers at Olin are probably focused on increasing share holder equity, so they try to make decisions that will result in the highest income. If they were able to generate a higher income by making more loaded ammo and/or component brass for their orphaned cartridges, they probably would, as management bonuses are generally tied to success and one of the key indicators of success is share price. Olin's share price has risen by about 50% in the past year, so whatever they are currently doing to achieve those results is likely to continue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course the simple answer is to buy enough brass to last through the life of the barrel when you buy it. With annealing and modest loads, that's not all that much brass....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
.22lr, .223, .30-06, 270, 7.62x39, .45-70. For my locale, don't feel a need for anything else.

If I start going out west more often, might be a .338 and 6.5 in the future somewhere, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by hanco
Make it out of 270 WSM brass.

I assume this is a joke as 270 wsm is also hard to find. For any thinking of doing so.
It is much easier to acheive positive headspace by necking down than by necking up.

Powder Valley has Win brand 270WSM. No thing to neck to .308 then back down to .284 and making a false shoulder to get the 1st shot firmly on the bolt face so as to move the shoulder forward fully.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hornady can't even make ammo that goes bang. They have s big problem with misfires. They can keep that crap and I hope they don't pick up Winchester and ruin it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I will stick to the classics.

^ And that is about the wisest thing said herein.

I shoot 7mm Rem mag (among other things) and will be getting 7mm-08s for my kids. Both have components easily sourced (currently anyway...).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Hornady can't even make ammo that goes bang. They have s big problem with misfires. They can keep that crap and I hope they don't pick up Winchester and ruin it.

I've shot a few hundred rounds of Hornady factory loads in 223, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, and 30-30 over the past 12 months and haven't had a single misfire that I recall.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
Federal did the same thing with 338 Federal. Made brass for a bit, then stopped and only sells loaded ammunition. The beautiful thing though is I can send any 308 Win brass through the die and have my 338 brass though. But it would be nice to have headstamped brass. I bought some factory ammo on sale, but haven't gotten to shooting any yet.

Hornady scares me. They drop lines in a heartbeat. Most round nosed bullets are now gone, and instead they come up with zombie bullshit or rocket science nonsense or tipped or mono this or that. I stick with cup and core die hards like Sierra.

Starline is making 338 Federal brass.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018967815/starline-reloading-brass-338-federal

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,979 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.