Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My buddy was a fireman/paramedic in Clayton Co. Georgia. South side of Atlanta.
Started to work in 1974, retired 2004, age 55.
He is racking in a $65K pension.

This is insane. The pension is 100 percent of the pay. That alone, is absurd. But it gets worse. The pension is 100 percent of the pay earned the last 3 years.
So what my buddy did was, during the first 27 years he worked there, he hardly ever worked overtime, he had other interests. In fact he moved 2 hours away, to a town near the N. Carolina line.
With 3 years left to work, he BOUGHT a house in Clayton County. This to milk the union pension scam.
He would work a 24 hr shift, then he would work another 24 if someone called in sick. Spend the third day in his house, then work his shift again on the fourth day. Had a couple of firefighter roomates working the same scam. When he retired, he sold the house to another fireman.

His pay was about $50K, but he piled on $15K each year of those last 3 years, in overtime, and now will be paid that the rest of his life.
Only in a government job can you get involved in a scam like this.
In private industry, such as, being a pilot for Delta, the pension is 1/3 of annual pay.

These absurd union government pensions have already driven many cities in to bankruptcy, wouldn't be surprised if Clayton County is next.

For a comparison, I bust my ass driving a truck over the road and I get $65K a year. If I lived in Clayton County, I would be paying for my buddy's "Lifestyle of the Rich and Unknown."

Good post.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My buddy was a fireman/paramedic in Clayton Co. Georgia. South side of Atlanta.
Started to work in 1974, retired 2004, age 55.
He is racking in a $65K pension.

This is insane. The pension is 100 percent of the pay. That alone, is absurd. But it gets worse. The pension is 100 percent of the pay earned the last 3 years.
So what my buddy did was, during the first 27 years he worked there, he hardly ever worked overtime, he had other interests. In fact he moved 2 hours away, to a town near the N. Carolina line.
With 3 years left to work, he BOUGHT a house in Clayton County. This to milk the union pension scam.
He would work a 24 hr shift, then he would work another 24 if someone called in sick. Spend the third day in his house, then work his shift again on the fourth day. Had a couple of firefighter roomates working the same scam. When he retired, he sold the house to another fireman.

His pay was about $50K, but he piled on $15K each year of those last 3 years, in overtime, and now will be paid that the rest of his life.
The month that he retired, he bought a brand new big Ford pickup, and a shiny Airstream to tow behind it. He now spends his time driving from Georgia to Idaho to go skiing all winter.
Pensions are not supposed to be designed so that retirees can spend all winter at ski resorts.
Only in a government job can you get involved in a scam like this.
In private industry, such as, being a pilot for Delta, the pension is 1/3 of annual pay.

These absurd union government pensions have already driven many cities in to bankruptcy, wouldn't be surprised if Clayton County is next.

For a comparison, I bust my ass driving a truck over the road and I get $65K a year. If I lived in Clayton County, I would be paying for my buddy's "Lifestyle of the Rich and Unknown."

Lol, jealousy looks good on you.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

No degree here.......but that was 40 yrs ago......today ?

10 yrs underground coal with the UMWA

27 yrs with the Teamsters driving a Brown truck for UPS

retired now...Trump check every month.......two Union Pensions.....

100% health coverage......Guess I was in the right place at the right time

Again..today is probably different

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 2 yrs degree scored me a tech job.
I used my natural eye/hand fine pitch skills, plus art talent a lot in the job.
Specialized, best in the place (large world class facility).
Worked a lot of hours, missed out on a lot of fam stuff. Over 10 yrs perfect attendance.

They threw me and 599 of my coworkers out in one swoop.
Pension in PBGC.

No pension at new current job. Finally make OK pay.........but body hurts and summers are hot in the place.
So while I could "write my own ticket" with overtime.........it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.
Hell I hurt all the time.

[bleep].

Last edited by hookeye; 01/21/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Oh well, it was a high stress job w nasty chemicals too...........but it was the best job I ever had (fun).
Advanced development stuff, worked with some great people.
Too bad national and local mgmnt F'd that gig up.

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the problem, if there is one, has been alluded to already. after WWII, the US was poised to grow. and grow it did. to the point that pensions could be offered as inducements to attract the best & the brightest. the world economy has raised it's ugly little head. nowadays pensions are becoming as rare as a 3 legged dinosaur. nobody can afford to fund them. sad fact, but true.

in a market economy we draw (by and large, in general and on average) what we are worth. there are exceptions, but in the minority. the market pays fair prices pretty much.

the generation or two following ww2 having pensions is an aberration in the entire history of the people's colonization of urth. it was an unusual event.

the only practical advice is to get a job, the best one can find. when/if it falls out beneath your feet get the next best available job. keep working & paying those taxes, and life is likely to go on.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Timing is everything.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by smarquez
I know a lot of guy here hate this but I made a good living as a union represented big city fireman. A high school diploma or GED is the entry level education requirement. It wasn't easy getting in since all they were hiring was minorities (I was supposed to be a slam dunk) and took 6 years of testing, This was at the end of the Carter years so the economy was in the dump and there were a lot of hiring freezes going on. My pension and medical is in good shape, my 457 is a decent back up if needed and I retired at 56-1/2 years old. The down side is I will need a knee replacement this year, ankle fusion and lower back surgery in the future. So far I can live with the neck, shoulders and hip pain.

nothing personal intended

you're probably aware of this but I doubt your union had the best interest of every worker at heart.The California pension system, thanks to the corrupt union influence, is way underfunded even in this booming economy. Gov moonbean keeps raising taxes to appease hiis public unions ( bought and paid for votes) forcing more and more tax payers out of California . And again raise taxes and so and so on....I wonder what happens when the economy goes through another down cycle? Bailout from US taxpayers?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...-blogs/dan-walters/article148181774.html

Not part of Calpers. Jerry Brown waste too much money on illegal aliens when 70% of them are on welfare. A multi billion train to no where that is about 30% over budget, crap like hiring Eric Holder to help the state defy the Trump admin. Supposedly had a budget surplus yet is raising gas taxes and vehicle registration. Pensions would be the problem they are if he quit fuggin' spending. You have a manageable budget in your own home. To keep it manageable you don't go out and buy a giant motorhome without knowing where the money for it will come from. Brown and the dems know the states obligations but still spends stupidly. The Bullet train was estimated at 6.4 billion and is at 10 billion and I don't think a shovel has been turned yet. The full blame for the states financial woes are not fully on the pension system.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Don't be blue collar in a white collar town. That should be easily evident, but I was learning a skilled trade, got married and settled in and I just thought that good job would come along some day.

The light bulb came on when I read a book called "Night Comes to the Cumberlands",..written by a Kentucky historian named Harry Caudill.

In it, he mentioned that when the big post war migration from Appalachia occurred, nobody even bothered to stop in Lexington,...because the competition for the few blue collar jobs was too intense. They went to Michigan.

It's still pretty much the same.

Who knew?

I'm liking that book, Bristoe, thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,413 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.