Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by OXN939
[ would it be such an abomination to get a MK V in a mainstream caliber, such as the 6.5 Creed

Not only an abomination, but a flogging offense in that pocket T shirt of all calibers....

grin grin

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by pete53
I don`t think old Roy was impressed with any Vanguards either ? but old Roy would have liked the 6.5x300 Weatherby Mag. cartridge !

For sure the 6.5-300. But, I think that round was already a wildcat while he was still alive. That was before the 6.5 craze, or he'd have probably rolled it out back then, IMO.

Roy would like the bottom line and I think he'd be respectful of the boys rising to the occasion, innovating, selling guns and ammo.

Roy was a businessman.

DF

yep your right, i just don`t care much for Vanguard rifles and i read someplace Roy really did not like Howa action/Vanguards either much except the money part. Weatherby Mark 5`s really are the only true Weatherby`s for me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To me the MkV is a faster cycling action than the 90* Vanguard. I'm not sure how important that may be in a bolt gun, just my observations.

I only have one MkV and it wears a #2, 24" 7RM Brux.

My only Wby round is a .240 in an HS Precision SPL with Hunters Edge stock.

Go figure.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Own 2 Mark Vs. 270 wby and 257 wby. My 270 is stainless with factory synthetic stock with "speed bumps". It's shoots awesome, see target, everything is as from factory with Weatherby ammo. Cost me $500 for the rifle.

My 257 is a deluxe model.

I'm always on the lookout for Weatherby rifles. Well made, smooth action, great trigger and shoots amazing.

Attached Images
24296.jpg (20.26 KB, 147 downloads)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bud and I built a pair of 26 Noslers on old 7RM M-700’s. He later had a well worn 7RM Ruger 77 rebarreled with Shilen 270 Wby.

After working with these two rounds, it appeared to me that the 270 Wby would do with 130’s about what the 26 Nos does with 140’s, burning a lot less powder. For what we do and the game we shoot, the 270 Wby seems the better choice. Our WT deer can’t tell the difference, 130’s from 140’s. Maybe with heavier game.

The trajectories with those two loads were about the same, kill stuff about the same. IMO, the 270 Wby is a sleeper. Bud uses his more than the Nosler.

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Guys, I am still looking real hard at a Mark V along with some of the other rifles from Cooper, Christensen Arms and Fierce. It seems that I can't find much information as to what steel the Mark V action is made of.

Is it chrome Moly, stainless or something else. Also it appears that the Mark V Weathermak is just a blued rifle with a Cerakote finish on it. Kind of disappointing I wished it was all stainless under that coating. So that kind of points me towards a Mark V Accumark with the stainless barrel, but there again what is the action made of?

Those of you that own or have owned Weatherby Rifles, can you convince me that a Weatherby is a better rifle than like a Christensen Mesa or Fierce Edge? It seems the Mark V Action has a lot going for it, but what else would be a pro with the Weatherby other than a Weatherby Cartridge?

NEVER GIVE UP
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Years a go I traded a M12 Winchester reproduction 20 ga that just wouldn't smooth up for a used Mk V Sporter in 270 Wthby Mag satin blue and stock finish. The rifle had a Beuhler (still does) one piece base on it seems like the rings are a looong way apart and the only scope I had that would work was an old Burris 6x. 130's and 140 just didn't shoot as well as I wanted, by chance I tried a max load of IMR 7828 and 150 gr Horn SP's they were a marriage from the start. Sometimes I wonder why I ever bother to hunt with anything else as when I carry it on the prairie I all ways come up with a great (for me ) whitetail buck. Seems popular for some to bad mouth the Weatherby look but it is simply the lightest recoiling Magnum rifle I've ever owned or shot. It's one of those lucky guns for me and I'll have it till I croak. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by OXN939
Looking closely at a Weathermark Mark V for a 6.5 Creed mid range hunting platform. Handled one in a different caliber recently, and everything looked top notch. Super smooth action, great trigger. One thing kinda caught my eye, though- apparently Weatherby intentionally engineers a contact point between the stock and barrel towards the front end of the stock to improve accuracy on light sporter profile rifles. I know they know more about barrel harmonics than I ever will, but this just seems counterintuitive to everything I've ever learned about rifles- any pressure on a barrel can and will change with different rests, conditions or temperatures and inconsistency equals loss of accuracy.

So, who has experience with this? Accurate across a range of conditions as is, or would it be worthwhile to consider removing that contact point and bedding the action to the stock instead? How far do I make it on the idiocy scale for entertaining the idea of taking a dremel to the stock of a $1200 rifle? Thanks for any input.

The Mark V action was designed for Rigby Sized cartridge cases. A Creedmoor hull would seem like a primer in that action. The 6 lug version would be a possibility but I would recommend the Vanguard over the Mark V if you are set on this cartridge.

Big R stores has a consignment of these in Boyd Laminated stocks for about $600 right now. (I do not work for them)

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,311 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.