-->
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well my .257 bob does like the 100TSX .78" at 100 for 3, and the 110 AB .84" for 3 at 100, it does not care as much for the 100 partition at 1.2" for 3 and all 3 cost 75% to 100% more than the 100 interlock for the same or slightly better/worse accuracy. The 100 Hornady has taken my last 3 deer from 100 to 190 lbs at ranges from 45 to 175 yards without problems, failures, extended tracking or a recovered slug. I'd say that's dependable, affordable and nothing to sneeze at.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 100 grain Hornady is what I load for my son to shoot whitetails with out of his .257 Roberts. So far it has performed extremely well.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
115gr Nosler partion

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
115g TSX and 120g A-Frame, .257 Bob, +P loads

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
My 25-06 likes 100 gr Barnes X. I still have a hundred or so from a far sighted purchase I made some 15 years ago. I cannot attest to its effectiveness on Mulies, but it has hammered a couple of rather large Upper Michigan whitetails. I have yet to recover a bullet. The only downside is the amount of copper fouling is much greater from the X bullet compared to the Nosler.

If I were you I would try a box or two of each and let your rifle decide for you.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
yoop, switch to the TSX and your copper fouling problems will cease.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
george,

You're probably right. I am just too tight to pitch some of the best terminal performing bullets I have ever used. I have learned to let the chemicals do the work over time. I still use good old No. 9. I like the way it smells. It will get the copper, in a month or so. One wet, two dry until clean, run a wet and leave it. Repeat tommorrows..... until clean.

I really don't mind cleaning rifles. I usually get them good and clean in the winter. Besides this 25 of mine likes a little barrel fouling to settle in.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I hate cleaning rifles. Took nine of them out with a couple of revolvers thrown in a couple of days ago and hammered them for a few hours before cleaning the lot and back into the safe.

I always envied the hunters that only used a couple of rifles to cover different sized game. Those blokes were always a lot smarter than me.

AGW

Oh yeah, I also like the 100 grain Hornady, but also had a good run with the 87 grainer which was Roy Weatherby's favorite in the .257 Roy. Today, I use the 100gn TSX and 115gn TSX but I have tried a lot of others including the 115 Nosler BT and Partition which worked well. I have mates that like the 100gn Nosler BT as well, but I never took to it.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guys,
I am asking a question to those who have experience with the 100 grain TSX and Partitions.

Do they usually punch all the way through on say 300 lb. deer or not?

This is a different question than if they died right there, I don't care about that.

I used to shoot a 25-06 but it liked 120 Hornady Hollow Point flat base interlocks. So that is what I used and I never recovered one, even when they hit bone or went through at a long angle.
But I have been in camps on two separate occasions when deer shot with 25 calibers did not have an exit. This makes me nervous, granted some fall in their tracks but I am just one of those guys that feel more confident using something that goes THROUGH.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SD: Glad to hear of your good results with the 120gr Hornady HP. My 257AI likes them a lot. Took a couple of deer this year and have no complaints but didn't really stress the bullet, either.

May I ask why, if you have had success with the Hornady, you are considering the 100gr TSX or Partition?

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Guys,
I am asking a question to those who have experience with the 100 grain TSX and Partitions.

This is a different question than if they died right there, I don't care about that.

I used to shoot a 25-06 but it liked 120 Hornady Hollow Point flat base interlocks. So that is what I used and I never recovered one, even when they hit bone or went through at a long angle.
But I have been in camps on two separate occasions when deer shot with 25 calibers did not have an exit. This makes me nervous, granted some fall in their tracks but I am just one of those guys that feel more confident using something that goes THROUGH.
All the way thru,and then some!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I no longer have that rifle, but am getting the itch for another .25 and have noticed a lot of talk about the 100's and they do shoot a lot faster and flatter.
With the TSX supposedly not shedding much weight, it is prompting my curiosity.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Guys,

All the way thru,and then some!

X2

Having harvested over a 2dozen deer, 3 moose and 1 bull elk with 100's from my 25'06, and only recovering 3 bullets, one from a mulie buck(partition) (shoulder shot) and the other from a cow moose at 300yds, quartering away(partition)(found in the last bit of meat on the off side shoulder)And lastly one from this years buck (see pic early on in this thread) It was found up along the neck after going from the last ribs on his left side and transversing the front part of the body (3.5feet of travel)

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I cannot imagine the TSX out penetrating the X. I believe they made the triple to lessen pressure and copper fouling. I have taken three whitetails in excess of 200 pounds, dressed, with the X and no bullet to show. They work for me.

You really need to figure out which bullet exhibits the best accuracy in your rifle. From previous posts it is obvious that both bullets will do the job.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
TSX,will get you the same results less the copper fouling.Most find the TSX more accurate to boot.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The TSX is supposed to have a re-designed hollow point that will open up with less resistence, and wider than the original X, so it may not penetrate further. It does seem to be universally accuracte in many rifles much more so than the original X, with a lot less copper fouling and less pressure. Almost the perfect bullet, damn close to it wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You boys got some pretty pictures of those fancy bullets you recovered.
I'd love to show you some pictures of Ballistic Tips and Sierras but they exit and I've never recovered one. laugh laugh laugh

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yea, them BIG Texas deer are prone to stop a bullet.........grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, and so are big old boar hogs.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.