Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bigram Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Maybe everyone else knows this, but I have been so happy with how my iron sight shooting has improved after I've shot silhouette some this summer. I use an 8" ruger governmeent model for the 3/8 size silhouettes in the scheduled matches here and a ruger 454 for hunting. Although I've yet to break 25 in silhouette, it's a real hoot. I was using the 454 offhand last Saturday and really noticed how much bigger the targets seemed, and how everything was easier. Silhouette is definitely in my future plans. Anybody else have the same experience?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been shooting critters with handguns since the early Fifties and definitely prefer iron to glass for aiming. Critters ranged from mice to moose (inclusive). Handguns (that I can remember) included .22 Long Rifle, .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, .357 Magnum, and .44 Magnum -- more than one of each. Haven't shot handgun silhouette with any caliber but have shot targets as small as .22 LR empties and thumb tacks. Experience with iron sights and small targets definitely "enlarges" all larger targets and reduces hit zones -- especially when you hunt with a rifle.

Couple of months ago, I popped several eastern Montana prairie dogs with a Taurus .22 LR revolver with a 12-inch barrel (iron sights). Some were head shots -- only the head showing above the mound. One was a measured 87 yards. Some were farther -- none a lot closer. Missed a lot, too, of course, but anything bigger than a prairie dog is likely to be in deep doodoo at any reasonable distance if I can perch him atop my Patridge.

I believe I can shoot better with iron than with glass. Should run an actual field comparison some day, to see for sure.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

bigram Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ken,

That's some shooting! I'm not sure I could make out 22 empties
and thumbtacks, let alone hit them, but there's no reason not to try after reading your post. Those are some great shots on
prarie dogs too - something to aspire to.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken, That's some shooting!

No, not for a real handgunner. Lots of guys can shoot worlds better on an average day than I can on my best day.

Push your edge, and it'll go forward farther than most nonhandgunners imagine. Practice (a lot!) shooting smaller and smaller things, farther and farther out, and what you can do will surprise you.

But start with big and close -- beer cans of water at fifty yards, say. Then move 'em out when you can hit 'em easily at fifty. Have a nasty friend hand you an empty gun (without telling you it's empty) every now and then, with the gun loaded in between such times, and you'll see how much flinch you have to overcome. Once you master sight picture and trigger control -- and conquer flinch -- you'll be deadly on small targets at long distances.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.