Just a personal opinion that I've developed as I've gotten old(er)……the better the instructor, the LESS dogmatic they are…..i.e.when Doc and I were at TR last year, I asked Clint how he addresses the "Weaver vs Isosceles" issue with students……he said, "I tell people that I shoot which ever way hurts the least that day." I took my son to a Hackathorn class a couple of years ago as my son had not had any formal classes…..Ken said basically, "I don't care what position you choose, just be comfortable, we have more important issues to deal with….."

Blue….I was thinking of your posting this morning when I saw Dave Spaulding's entry on Facebook………Dave is a guy that (I think) would meet anybody's standard as a trainer that has "earned the right" to teach.
content follows:

"There are more firearms instructors than ever before. It seem that everyone coming out of the military wants to be a "tactical firearms instructor" and with all the folks who are getting instructor certified via the NRA, well...its a crowded field. All want to make money and so do I. That said, no one will have "he was a firearms instructor who got rich" on their tombstone unless that were a heartless, predatory scumbag who put money before their students. You know, the ones who privately say, "I don't care if this works or not, I'm in it to make money!". Sad;y, I am finding there are more of these than you might think.
I got this note from a friend and regular student just this morning. I am both pleased and humbled. It ranks right up there with all of the calls I have received from cops over the ears who said "What you taught me saved my life!" Now THAT would be great on a tombstone!! Thanks for checking in!
"One of my proudest accomplishments in my career was meeting you; training under your supervision/mentoring and then having you write that Mossberg article. I am very proud of that article; how you wrote it.....and I know you did not get rich from it.
Always know, Dave, that no matter how [bleep] up my grip is sometimes, I shot a 100% score on Saturday, with a stock Glock pistol, in .357 SIG. Cheap-ass sights; stock trigger; stock everything. I am sure you would have given me poor grades on my bizarre grip, but on my accuracy and speed, I OWNED the range. As you know, that SIG cartridge is snappy and can "bite" a bit after about 35 or 40 rounds, with a stock polymer grip. My mag changes were fast and on the slow-fire stages, I sniped instead of wasting ammo.
Anyway, the MOST important things you've taught me are PREVAIL, not merely survive; have spare mags because they break; shoot fast and accurately and if you win a challenge coin, awesome. If you don't, [bleep] it. Carry a sharp knife and OC everywhere you go, even to get milk. Be nice, but be ready to kill anyone you meet, before they kill you. If they are worth shooting once, shoot 3 or 4 into their ass until they quit, or die. Either outcome is fine. Whether .380 or .45, shot placement is critical. Cool gear is cool, but it does not replace a deadly aim and a steady hand. Be "combative" when the need arises. No second place winners. Only the quick and the dead. Don't be the latter. A pistol already drawn beats everyone except the greatest trick shooters, so if you are justified in drawing, do it first, not after you are shot. If he brings a Derringer, use buckshot on him.
If I ever get killed in a gunfight, I want you to know, it was never because you failed. It will be from just plain bad luck, which sometimes happens. The last Border Patrol Agent who rode with me said to me, "Jesus, Bob, you carry 2 rifles AND a shotgun with 64 rounds of shotgun shells"??
My reply: "Dave Spaulding taught me to PREVAIL, not simply survive. If I die, it won't be for running out of ammo. Or guns."
He said: "I'm impressed".
I said, "You should be. If you see me put a shotgun shell in my teeth, you'll know it's "go" time."
Thanks for being a friend and mentor. And I mean that. "

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.