Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by 5thShock
When did the hands clasped at the sternum become an at rest position for most of the instructors on the TV? They look like Secret Squirrels, or Monseigneurs on a morning constitutional.

I think they call that Del Sol or something... odd that they would name it after a Honda though.

Seriously, so many trainers are fad driven and LE is not exempt from it.

Sarge, i've enjoyed reading some of your posts--well thought out.

that position is usually referred to as the SUL position--some might deem it useful--and successfully use it. however, i think for many it is not unlike some of the other rediculous stuff one might see from the various "tactical tinhorns" on youtube. my wife watches comedians on TV for laughs, but i sometimes watch these "youtube tactical tinhorns" for my laughs;

monkey see, monkey do--making for some great organized despair.

the totality of a discipline is where it's at, and this means leaving nothing out. in the beginning, guidance is essential--then, as one learns over time, you take what is useful for you--add your own--and discard/file away the rest. the process is continual...

obviously, assuming that all of the necessary skillsets are present, i've always felt that a most essential element in a great instructor/teacher is: "a near-complete lack of ego"....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...