"Ammo cant be inside the lockable case or gun."

Unless the rules have changed recently the ammo DOES go in the same locked case as the pistol. If you're taking a revolver I would suggest removing the cylinder or if carrying an auto pistol to remove the magazine and lock the slide back so it is easy to see the pistol is unloaded. When you set your suitcase on the scales tell the ticket agent I need to declare that there's an unloaded pistol in a locked case in this suit case. When I flew the last few times the attendant opened my suitcase and had me unlock the pistol case. She verified the pistol was unloaded, had me lock the case, put the pistol case back in my suitcase, filled out a form and told me where to go see the TSA. She said to present the form she had filled out to the TSA agent so he would know that pistol had been checked to make sure it was unloaded by the ticked agent. When I reached my destination I picked up my suitcase at the regular baggage pickup. As soon as I was off of the airport property I opened my suitcase, loaded my pistol and started carrying it concealed.

Last edited by victoro; 07/07/15.