Originally Posted by 4ager
The baggage containing the handgun will be specially tagged and moved to a secure pick-up area at your arrival destination.

I flew from Erie, PA to Detroit to Minneapolis to Boise last year and this was not true. The baggage went through without any special exterior tags or markings.

The baggage did have an orange card to be placed inside the baggage, not visible to anyone. In Boise the TSA attendant said it needed to be inside the gun case, which made no sense to me but that was the only difference.

The advice to check the regs for the airline you're flying, and print them out, is the best advice. The attendant at the ticket counter will probably direct you to do the auto check-in. Just whisper to him or her that you are flying with a firearm and you'll be given the attention you need, and none you don't need. You may even get to see them swab everything for explosive residue.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt