I think the 200 AB is a good bullet choice, as is the 200 NP I used for decades before the AB was even a glimmer in old man Nosler's eye.

But... I wouldn't choose a 300 WSM Custom Savage for what you want to do. There's a big difference in feeding and bolt operation between a 30-06 and 300 WSM, and to compound that issue, if you've never owned one, the Savage action is not really smooth feeding, and does not inspire confidence in an urgent situation.

THe Savage action was originally designed to be as cheap as possible to manufacture, and while that's great for the manufacturer, such as it is I wouldn't deem it ready for prime time.

For the same money, or likely less money, I would pick up a 30-06 Win M70 or MRC or even a Montana, and have the added benefit of a reliable, slick feeding rifle with 2 more rounds in the mag for backup...just in case.

A M70 in 30-06 with a 200 gr Partition is already loaded for bear, so to speak, or mostly anything one might encounter. There is no advantage on target to the WSM compared to a fully loaded-up '06 under 500 yards, and little beyond that.

Under 500 yards, I would also consider the 150 or 165 GMX bullet to up the ante a notch. The GMX is often under-appreciated considering it's performance values of expansion and penetration.

I'd run any of those same bullets in a 308, and feel confident in what I was carrying.

The 300 WSM in one of those rifles is fine, but I'd still rather have those 2 extra rounds in the mag.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...