str8ball -

If you are willing to walk you can generally get away from other hunters.

Be aware that having other hunters in the area is not always bad - often they will get the elk moving and provide you with opportunities you would not otherwise have. I've also seen elk hole up in dense cover not far from where people and horses are walking by and making a lot of noise.

Consider yourself very lucky (or good and more likely some of both) if you get an elk your first time out. Consider it an exercise in learning where getting an elk is a bonus and enjoy the opportunity with your kids.

What part of Iowa are you from? I grew up in Iowa and moved out here in 1981 primarily so I could hunt elk. No sons but one daughter that hunts (antelope in the past, antelope and first elk hunt this year), another daughter that goes along with her hubby and hopefully a second son-in-law hunting elk with us this fall.

If you want to talk via phone, send me a PM. I can provide a lot more information in a much shorter time that way. In any case, good luck to you and your sons.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.