Originally Posted by Jaguar
Str8ball,

You are getting plenty of advice on areas and tag strategies, but you need to also think about your logistics, especially with a couple kids in tow. October-November in elk country is normally winter. In CO, I have seen -24 in the tent in the morning and butt deep snow. It may only be around freezing, but if you don't have the gear, which it sounds like you don't, consider hunting out of a motel. There are a number of places that is feasible. Yes, you do have to drive every morning. But you also need to think hard about your rig and what it is capable of.

Are you set up for getting stuck in crotch deep snow? If you are solo DIY particularly with kids, you need to have contingencies worked out. Shovels, tire chains, extra gas, come-along(s), emergency gear and food. About the time you are high-centered at nightfall, you might be glad to see those other hunters you were wanting to avoid.

If you plan to camp, is a camper possible? One with a reliable heat source? A cold camp at that time is year is not going to cut it, and you and the boys will be at the very least miserable. Yeah, some years are warmer, but 2 years ago in the second blizzard of the season first week of October, we spent a couple days snowbound in camp where no one knew were even there. There was a lot of shoveling involved - dawn to dusk shoveling.

Not saying don't go elk hunting, just trying to prepare your thinking a bit. When you get into the high lonesome, help is not necessarily right there, and if you are not prepared it can be much more than just miserable. It can be dangerous.

And another thought. Do you know how big a dead elk is? Are you prepared to part it out and carry it out? You will not be able to drag it like a deer - even if the boys are in good shape and can help.

If you are going to do this, get your logistics sorted out, and be prepared for winter weather, cold camping conditions, and the need to dry clothes and gear nightly. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be mild, but don't come west counting on that.

Make sure you and your boys have adequate cold weather clothing, boots, hats, gloves, and extras for when you get soaked.

Good luck I hope you do find some elk. Learn all you can this first trip.

Good advice

I would not be dead set on going this year and plan on a good cow hunt next year. If you can get out in the Summer and scout and hike area you will be hunting that would be better.

I grew up in the mid west hunting deer and killed dozens of then with bow and rifle ml. I moved out west 10 years ago and elk hunting takes a good deal more planning and research. The country and conditions out west can be daunting for a newby.