Originally Posted by RoninPhx
question on some of this, pertaining to bullets made for a gas check. Have you powder coated them before applying the gas check, and if so does that effect anything? Or, have you by using the powdercoating just left the gas check off on a bullet normally gas checked?
For what it's worth, not much, i have a couple of 250grain .45colt bullets i spray painted and then cooked for a while at the first of the week. That coating is darn hard on there, doesn't scratch. Under the heading of things i didn't think of, i noticed some comments about putting lube on bullets before sizing. I think they were talking mostly about those lee push through sizers. I have always used a lyman lubrizor and had never thought of doing this. I did use murphy's oil soap one time on a lee sizer for something, maybe a leeenfield bullet.

GC bullets require GC. Apply your GC after the PC. That is the catechism. I found it holds the GC on a little better.

I tried to lube after PC, and found it was useless. The PC IS the lube.

Also remember that this is an experimenter's game. If lubing after PC works for you, there is nothing wrong in using it. This goes for everything here. There are no right answers, only right answers for you.

I have a buddy that got into PC a year before me, and refuses to try tumble coating. He got a Harbor Freight spray gun and uses HF powder paint and says it's the only way. I've heard others say HF paint sucks. The only reason why I tried the tumble process was that Yondering had such a great write up and gave very explicit instructions. I thought it was worth a try.

The only thing I can add to Yondering's method is that humidity changes the adhesion of the paint to the bullet. My last batch was done on a muggy day, and after the 2nd coat, I had voids. I just applied a 3rd coat and baked a 3rd time. In the future, I'll do my PC on dry days.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer