Originally Posted by Rolly
I find this a very interesting thread and perhaps it should be down in the cast bullet section of the forum. I do have some questions and observations from what I had read so far.
1. It appears that using Harbor Freight PC and shaking and baking gives less than desirable results.
2. I heat treat some of my rifle bullets for strength and ability to shoot them faster. Doesn't heating the bullets again to set the PC and then allowing them to air cool just remove all the heat treatment I had done previously?
3. It appears that one should apply gas checks and do any sizing necessary AFTER applying PC.
4. Once bullets are coated they don't need to be stood on end in the oven to bake the PC.
5. Powder coating seems to allow bullets to be driven faster than typical lead alloy without leading the barrel often associated with "fast" lead bullets.
6. Powder coating seems to allow bullets to achieve better accuracy. Why would that be?

2- Do the heat treat and powder coat in the same process, if it gives the hardness you need. If not, heat treat after powder coating. When I want to heat treat, on the last round of coating (usually do 2 coats) I pour a pitcher of cold water over the bullets right out of the oven. (Dont try to dump the bullets in the water while they're hot, that pulls the coating off and leaves bare spots where they stuck together.)

3- correct

4- that's my method anyway. Some powders stick bullets together worse than others though, even different colors of the same brand. Candy colors are the worst.

5- yes, exactly

6- I haven't noticed better accuracy necessarily, but I have noticed more rounds (a LOT more) down the barrel before accuracy starts to drop off.