Remington Core-Lokt 150g for a .308 Win normally run about $1.15-$1.20 per round at Midwayusa and Cabelas, about $1.00 if you get them on sale.

I can load Nosler AccuBond or Barnes TTSX for about $0.84 per round. Or I can load North Fork SS, my favorite bullet in a variety of calibers and weights, for about $1.40 per round.

In short, I can save anywhere form $0.20 to $0.40 per round by shooting Core-Lokt ammunition. Given what I spend on gas, food, licenses and processing, let alone other incidental (but not always insignificant) expenses, the difference in ammunition cost is not a concern, whether I save a few cents or spend a few more. As I've said many times, after a few years of filling all my tags (antelope, deer and elk in a good year, one antelope and two elk this year), the savings might buy me a cheap glass of wine with my dinner out.

Given that my handloads shoot much better than any Core-Lokt ammuniton I've tried, given I prefer premium bullets when things don't go as planned, and given that I've never had a post-trigger-squeeze situation where I expect a cup-and-core would have performed better, the decision for me is an easy one.

Core-Lokt? Or other factory cup-and-core loads? Thanks, but no.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/16/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.