Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. I've had to ream the cylinders on several of my new model BlackHawks in .45 Colt. But I've heard Ruger has finally gotten them right on the new guns now.

I was talking to a gun shop owner this week and he said Ruger is finally doing it right.

Not being snotty, friends, but what is "right"?

I've heard lots of things, but seeing is believing.

Some measurements would be nice!

Probably not telling you anything you don't already know but, right, at least as far as cast bullets goes, would be having the chamber mouths slightly larger than groove diameter. I just picked up an ANIB 1993 Ruger Bisley 45 Colt last week. I haven't had time to get to the range yet but I did run the critical dimensions and it is, at least according to everything I've read and experienced with cast bullet guns, is wrong.

Using pin gauges its cylinder mouths measure .450 and the groove diameter slugs at .4514. It also shows the usual restriction where the barrel mates to the frame. By all accounts it should shoot cast bullets poorly. A trip to the range with the Ransom Rest will tell whether or not it wants to shoot cast bullets well.

I don't shoot jacketed bullets in revolvers so won't be able to say if the Ruger will shoot jacketed with these dimensions. It most likely will. Jacketed bullets tend to be more forgiving than cast of less than perfect critical dimensions.

I'd be curious to check some new Rugers in 45 Colt to see if Scott's gunshop guy is right. My Redhawk four inch 45 Colt I bought four years ago was certainly undersized on the cylinder mouths and had to be opened to .4525 before it would shoot cast bullets well.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.