Originally Posted by Scott F
This thread has helped me do some thinking. There is a great chance a Ruger Flattop convertible with a 5 1/2" barrel will take up permanent residence in my safe soon.

I really like Accurate powders and have been looking for some loads in the lighter side of +P. I also have read that the 45 LC has some case capacity problems with the newer powders in that the case is not nearly full and powder position can make a significant difference through a chronograph and thus down range. My research shows loads with the 255 gr cast I plan to start with list Accurate powders 9, 4100, 5744, and Ramshot Enforcer. All have +P loads starting at 20.6 gr and going up. Those +P starting loads range around 1,230 fps to 1,350 fps. I do believe those loads would do the trick on most any critter in the lower 48 and still be pretty mild to shoot. Add that with a fuller case for more even burn and less powder position problems should be a win, win.

Thoughts? Am I over thinking this or am I on the right track. Thanks.

Scott, I don't think the new Flattops are as strong a frame as the standard model BlackHawks old model Vaqueros. If that's the case, you don't want to shoot the Ruger "only" heavy handloads. I may be wrong, but that's what I was told when I bought my first new model flattop several years ago.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~