I bought mine as an investment about a decade or so ago. All matching serials and still in the cosmoline (didn't look very used at all). Then I started researching what I had previously considered as the "wimpy little Mauser brother". Ballistic coefficients through the roof, plenty of powder capacity and tons of reloading options.

So I purchased one of those "Cheap Ramline drop-in stocks", sporterized it, chopped the barrel to 25" with a target crown and drilled and tapped the barrel just forward of the action which was perfect for a Burris handgun scope. Effectively making a Cooper-esque Scout Rifle. Its a far better shooter than I am.

My gunsmith thought the idea was great and promptly began projects for several other Mauser owners he had previously told to buy other rifles.

By the way, the rifle shoots spectacularly and I had no idea about torqued screws when I put the stock on. Maybe I got lucky!

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!