Originally Posted by specneeds
Obviously the members of this forum spend more time thinking about rifles and shooting than the average Elmer Fudd.

When I assist younger hunters these days they expect that 500 yard shots on game are the norm from watching TV hunting shows designed to sell fancy rifles.

Some of the folks here are very capable of making those types of shots but it isn't something I recommend to hunters who haven't prepared. Keeping things as simple as possible is the best advice I can give and the OP has gotten plenty of well meaning advice from jbird and others that is the opposite of simple.

I think once you are sighted in at 200 yards at your hunting altitude or even at sea level with a 300 Win mag everything 300 and in is point & shoot. Top of the back gets you to 400 on a calm day. Farther than that get closer.

Elk hunting isn't a long range shooting contest, its more of a scout, hike, climb, sneak, jog, catch your breath, shoot quick before they disappear activity.

The best hunters kill elk with a stick and string so we rifle hunters should be able to close the distance to under 400. But it is interesting to hear the different opinions.

Good advise here, fact is most elk are shot inside 300 yards. Do use a ballistic calculator and sight in accordingly.
Good luck on your hunt, beautiful high desert country there. Do drink a lot of water, the humidity there may run in the single digits to low teens. It may take a lot longer than you will be there for your thirst to acclimate to your need to drink.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.