Finally got a chance to shoot my LAW 280ai yesterday....

[Linked Image]

Here is my objective view on the rifle.....

Finish, weight, balance, trigger, overall appearance I would rate as excellent.

Fit, crap....so mine also had the now infamous "LAW stock issue".

Not willing to spend more money to send it back and take a chance on getting it lost or destroyed, I did what I always do to a rifle that has bedding issues..... Fix it myself.

F the warranty....

To be fair fit is really good except the barrel shank was hitting the right side of the stock,while the left side was floating.Barrel gap to stock was perfect, except for the shank issue.

So out came the sandpaper and .5 hour later.....perfect fit. Now the barrel is free floating all the way to the recoil lug.

Honestly, no excuse on LAWs part to have something leave the factory with that bad of a fit issue. Also, if they would have bedded these, they would not be having the returns they apparently are having with the 300wins and 280ai.

So I gave the LAW the acid test....150 ballistic tips and h4831sc. If won't shoot that, it ain't going to shoot....

I also had a hand full of Nosler factory 280ai 140ab.

My starting load of 58 h4831, 150bt, Fed 210, and virgin Nosler hulls went into a nice .5" cloverleaf.... Nice.

Figured the groups would get worse as i worked up and they did. Opened up, but only to about 1.3". Not bad.

The factory 140ab went into 1.25", 5 shot group. 4 of the 5 were under 1". Velocity was mid 3000s.

So overall, I think she'll be a shooter with the right loads.

Pretty happy....

Tony

Last edited by hicountry; 10/05/15.