If you keep finding multiple piles in same spot I'd say it's a boundary line or not spooping inside of den where it sleeps. Since you've been here and tampered with area I'd rule out the den because it would have relocated. Dont set trap 100 yards away, set it right where the [bleep] is. Play the wind and try to naturally funnel him down towards trap. That doesn't mean remodel area. Try to tamper as little as possible and place trap around 9inch Mark away from bait/lure. I sometimes setback 9 over one to three. Depends on location every set is different once you get good. Measure his stride if you can find is footprint nearby.

Take pics and I'll give as many pointers as i can before and after set. Dont put alot of [bleep] down like fox trapping if it's in a real open area. They don't like big huge backings or fall for the sticks all around the trap eliminating everywhere possible to place foot accept on top of trap--they're way smarter than that. They don't circle the trap either like fox. Atleast not the ones in the east. They come into a set and leave you either string him up or he roles

One of the biggest newb mistakes I would make when starting out was tampering with area trying to guide him to pan. Your job is to find out where he steps naturally. You have to remember he hunts same boundaries all the time. That's like his living room. If when you came home from work and your couch was moved a little you'd notice something w a snt right and somebody was there

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"