Originally Posted by Pittu
I read the Michigan regs a couple years ago and dispatch snares were illegal. The only type of snares you could use were non lethal snares. They have to have relaxing locks, deer stops on them, and two swivels. They cannot be attached in a way that the coyote can get entangled or strangulate.

Unless something has changed in the regs, I personally would skip snaring under those conditions, but then again, if you can check once a day, maybe its not so bad. A canine in a non lethal snare is going to tear the hell out of itself and your gear. I'd rather have them dispatched shortly after the catch and long before I get there.

Good luck, they can be tricky to catch depending how wary they are. The young ones can be incredibly stupid, but they can learn fast.

I've been using "snares" known as "cable restraints" in Michigan for 10 years...we use what is allowed better than nothing ...sure would like to use" dispatch snares" being we can only use "cable restrains" only on private land...

Its the best way to eliminate coyotes in deer yards in the UP when we get a couple feet of snow in January and February...I've caught only one deer in 10 years a very small fawn and it was released...I use jump sticks across deer runways...deer go over coyotes go under...I do loose 1-2 coyotes a year to wolves killing and ripping to pieces a caught coyote...

Last year I caught in "cable restraints" 43 coyotes on 1600 acres of private land...