Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by ironbender
I'd be trying to find the lope button.

grin That's exactly what I thought. Neat to see though.

I've not spent time with them, but how well will a gaited horse lope? I'd guess folks who ride them try to keep them in the gaits and out of a lope(?).

I don't ride quarter horses anymore and I don't have much expierence at all training quarter horses. I say that to say I do train walking horses. A slow lope is one of their gaits. Some people think it screws up their gait. Those people are like the hunters who get their rifle bore sighted and go hunt.

It's my understanding from quarter horse people that you want your horse to flex be light in the mouth and stay in the gear you put it in till you ask for a different gear or a stop. That's exactly how I work mine anyway. For our horses it's very important for them to have a good mouth for many many reasons. From safety to helping them in their gait holding them in their gait slow lope backing etc.....

Many many many different opinions about gaited horses and what their good for and not good for. Just like everything else you get lots of info from people that don't know what their talking about. I know I hear stupid bs all the time and I live in gaited horse country.