[Linked Image]
I don't know why photo bucket deleted those pics but it did. Yes I really like the Steele saddles. I like the mountaineer as well as anything I've rode. That said somethimes I like a horn for working them with the ropes for example ans needed another saddle with a horn. I sold the others I had. So Fred fixed me up with their ranch style saddle. Been riding it everyday since last Monday. I really like it so far.

Yes I start them with a simple snaffle. Today I started the little buckskin on a sweet iron wonder bit. Just a smooth broke bit but has a little shank and the big slides. You're probably familiar with them. If not I'll post pics or something. It's a very easy and forgiving bit. I go to it and use a curb chain with it. It keeps the curb up high which doesn't bother the horse as bad and helps him to give his head/mouth. All I'm doing in his mouth at this point is asking for it with my fingers and giving it right back. He's getting pretty soft in his mouth and flexing good. I just started him on the 10th and missed 2 days due to rain. I'll go to riding him with this bit for a few weeks. Right now with the days so short I work him in little circles figure 8's etc for about 20 min then ride him for say 45min-2 hours. All I'm doing right now is drilling on circles 8's backing and standing still to get on/off.

Depending on how he does I'll most likely switch from the smooth wonder bit to a twisted wire. I don't do this till he/she knows what I'm asking for. It just helps make them respond a little bit better. By this point their neck reining and take very little hold. Now a D snaffle is fine.

This is when mine normally get sold and then they get to do pretty much whatever they want...grin.

To